Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Comp fees?

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Geez we get ripped at Wollongong. Has been $23 for a while. Above 20 for around 5 years. Wed & Sat prizes are decent though for full fields. Around 100-120/80/60 for placing all three grades and 50 scratch plus 40 overall nett winner is about the Wed norm. Not sure how that stacks up. No NTPs with covid.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

$12, plus one for the golden shot.
    2 bucks from the fee goes to the water infrastructure fund and about 60% in prizes from memory.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minor_Threat View Post
    Newcastle = $8
    MT, do u still pay for a round of social golf at Newy?
    I always found that strange in the NDGA.
    The course was great but paying for 9 holes on a course u are a member of sucked!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    MT, do u still pay for a round of social golf at Newy?I always found that strange in the NDGA.The course was great but paying for 9 holes on a course u are a member of sucked!
    Hey Pete.. No mate, they got rid of that about 12 months ago now. Just a flat annual sub for all. Hope all is well. Cheers
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

$15 at Bonnie Doon is a shocker and sadly indicative of where management views the club’s future.

Also don’t be spun on the % payout — member comps subsidise the prize pool for the BD Open and other major events. So they say it’s paid back in prizes, but if you aren’t off +2 you’re never seeing that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    $15 at Bonnie Doon is a shocker and sadly indicative of where management views the club’s future. Also don’t be spun on the % payout — member comps subsidise the prize pool for the BD Open and other major events. So they say it’s paid back in prizes, but if you aren’t off +2 you’re never seeing that money.
    What's the issue with $15?Does any of that go to the renovations or course improvement?A comp fee of $12 to 15 is normal in the ACT

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    What's the issue with $15?Does any of that go to the renovations or course improvement? A comp fee of $12 to 15 is normal in the ACT
    There's a fair bit of apples/oranges in this thread.

I pay $5350 in annual fees, we run a comp everyday (auto debit to your account).

If I play 3 mornings a week at $15, my effective subs are $7,690. As previous I don't mind the $15 comp fee as it represents some type of user pays model but to simply lump in on members (as they tried with us and got shot down), by doubling or tripling the previous is a money grab that needs to be explained.

Comp fee at The Australian, zero.

Good point Perry

Our 7 day membership is $1500ish, and having a quick look, I dropped another $1200ish on comp fees over the year including our majors.

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I’m at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Membership is $250, social $40, add $4 to go in the comp. Pretty sure all the comp fees are paid out. Only played 7 comp rounds there in the last year, plus 1 social round (I think). That tells me 2 things: 1) netting out at $600 per year shows it’s the right level of membership for me; 2) no wonder I suck at golf.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Benno,

For me it’s indicative of BDGC wanting to call itself a Tier 1 club but then conduct itself in a way that is often in conflict with that.

The value proposition for members is getting too far on the wrong side of reasonable IMO, especially for how difficult it is to get a game.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

It looks like there should be some transparency around what comp fees are used for.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

$10 comp fee plus optional $1 “winner takes all” super pin. 70% paid back as daily prizes, the balance to the match committee budget for yearly prizes, pennant etc. Our annual full fees are $680.

Senior Member Major Winner

$0 comp fee but I have to pay for a $3 drink voucher.

Members over 40 comp fees are $22 on saturdays to $14 during the week which includes the $3 drink voucher.

No idea of payout as you'd have to work out number of members under 40 paying reduced or no comp fees vs over 40s. Payout seems quite low though.

Senior Member Major Winner

Further more to my previous comment, we have a sliding scale type arrangement:
    Std member: $900/yr - $7 for comp and $9 green fees.
    Bronze: $1500/yr - no green fees, $7 for comp.
    Silver: $3000/yr - no green or comp fees.

I went full Courty and did the spreadsheets. You play twice a week, you save money as a bronze. 3 or more times a week, you save money as a silver.

I am a silver, I am saving $80/month. Maybe 50 people in the club would save at silver as well, but baulk at joining a country club for 3k a year. More fool them.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    $10 comp fee plus optional $1 “winner takes all” super pin. 70% paid back as daily prizes, the balance to the match committee budget for yearly prizes, pennant etc. Our annual full fees are $680.
    How many full time greens staff does PF have? Everything there just looked like it was efficient - efficient to mow and maintain, and a pro shop and bar run by one bloke.

Chopperlink

WITB

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by 8081travis View Post
    Interested to gauge comp fees at various courses.

Bonnie Doons just increased to 15 which seems rather steep.

What’s yours at your local?
    Say what! 😳

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Say what! 😳
    Don’t you read your emails!!

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by 8081travis View Post
    Don’t you read your emails!!
    emails.... who reads those?

$5 at The National & Yarra Yarra. Think about 70% returned as comp winnings.

$12 at Sanctuary Cove. 70% paid out as comp winnings but only redeemable in house. The remainder funds annual trophies, pennant uniforms, hole in one trophies etc.

I wish it were $5 or thereabouts. 2 reasons mainly (both personal):
    (1)Both my wife & I playing about 7 times/week between us. Thats more than $4000 in comp fees
    (2)Even at 70% of $12 x 150+players, the prize pool is pretty substantial. My sense is that the chance to win $100+/- drives the wrong behaviors

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    How many full time greens staff does PF have? Everything there just looked like it was efficient - efficient to mow and maintain, and a pro shop and bar run by one bloke.
    3 full time grounds staff. Full time operations manager and two house staff who work pro shop and bar. Extremely well run Club, good committee, no wastage and the member surveys show a very high level of satisfaction.

By comparison, miles ahead of my former Club in almost every measure.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Hi PerryGroves

If you ever need a fill in at Aussie, please feel free to PM me,

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    There's a fair bit of apples/oranges in this thread.

I pay $5350 in annual fees, we run a comp everyday (auto debit to your account).

If I play 3 mornings a week at $15, my effective subs are $7,690. As previous I don't mind the $15 comp fee as it represents some type of user pays model but to simply lump in on members (as they tried with us and got shot down), by doubling or tripling the previous is a money grab that needs to be explained.

Comp fee at The Australian, zero.

Thread Information