Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - October 2020

03/10/2020, Corinda Pitch n Putt, Matchplay vs my son.

Match 2 after I got flogged last time; this time giving him a one shot per hole start. It was fairly even for most of the round, but I just didn't let him in and got the win 3/1.

Score: 7 birdies, 11 pars; 25:22:47 (-2:-5:-7)

That's the best that I have played around there, and probably the sort of score that I should be getting. I should expect to be getting up and down a healthy percentage of the time from 40m. and today I felt really confident over the ball. The greens had been cored and sanded, which helped to hold the ball on the pitch shots, but were horrible for putting. I stuck it close enough for it not to matter several times.

Next round: Stableford at Wolston Park on Monday.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Cairns Open this weekend.

Great start - drove it to the fringe on the 1st, 2 putt birdie straight out the gate. Went +1 through the front side before all hell broke loose.

Rolled off 5 straight 6’s- double,triple,bogey,bogey,double.

Missed a 2-3 footer for birdie on the last to seal the day.

84(79)

Picked up where I left off today, double straight out the gate on 10, triple bogey 8 on the 13th, doubled 14 it was sick!!! Missed another 2 foot birdie on 18 to post my worst 9 hole score I can remember. 51.

Let’s just say from there I felt like I blacked out until I got to the 5th and realised Solarman had me by 3 shots off the bat and I was cruising towards the ton!!

Not TODAY!!

Piped one down 6 off the front tee, 2 putt birdie.
    Made a decent bogey on 7
    Easy par on 8
    Best drive of the year on 9, followed by the most pure wedge of the weekend, backed up with a solid 10 footer for a birdie to finish. Just when

90(85)

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Limped home again but at least this time it was for an ok score.

75/67 in the stroke day off the plates. +3 my best from the plates (previous was 76)

9 cost me but bounced back ok

Poor wedge into 17 cost me bogey but such a hard green to hit when pin is at the front. Should have went way long but was trying to push.

Hit 13 greens, 13 fairways and 32 putts. 2 X 3 putts.

Back down to 2.7 so heading in the right direction.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Nice round, shame about the triple on 9. What happened? Penalty?

05/10/2020, Wolston Park GC, Stableford.

Stats: 4/11 fairways, 6/18 greens, 32 putts.
    Score: PPBBPPPBP BXXBPPBXP; 38:41:79 (+3:+9:+12); stab 18:13:31

Back to Wolston Park again, because they could accommodate both competition and social golf at the same time today. I was feeling confident heading into the round, because of how I was went at pitch n putt, and I thought I had figured out the irons at the range last week. I was wrong, and I wasted plenty of good drives. While the stats say 4/11 fairways, at least 7 were effective, and I actually landed on 9 of them, but it was kicking off the fairway. It is probably the most consistent that I have hit the driver, since I've had it, and apparently I averaged 237m with it today.

Unfortunately, I couldn't convert by hitting enough greens, including making doubles from approaches within 80m. I had held things together on the front nine, but the back nine saw it fall apart, and it was very frustrating. I also couldn't get the putts to sink, or even lip the hole, today. Maybe I need one of those cheaty Trident align marker things.

Next round: I'll be looking for another course on Saturday or Sunday that can accommodate comp and social, so it will probably be Wolston Park again or Brisbane River.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Nice round, shame about the triple on 9. What happened? Penalty?
    Yeah. Drove the ball just short of the fairway bunker and then hit one in the crap between 8th and 9th and lost the ball. Then 3 putted from the lowest tier of the green. Bit of a shame as I thought I would find the ball!

Senior Member Major Winner

33, 1 wipe.

Parred the first which is strange as I wipe it about 60% of the time.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

32 Saturday after a wipe wipe start
    30 Sunday where nothing happened.
    37 today with 3 points the first 3 holes, 3 points the last three and a new PB of 11 pars in a row through the middle.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

11/10/2020, Jindalee GC, 9 Holes, Social.

Stats: 2/6 fairways, 4/9 greens, 16 putts.
    Score: BbPXPBXbP; 37 (+4).

A bit of a mixed bag for the social nine at Jindalee today, with birdies and double bogeys. A couple of three putts, when I had already had hole trouble caused the double bogeys. However, it was my best ball striking round since my return from surgery, where I finally hit some good irons on a consistent basis. I'm hopeful that the scores will start getting better now, not that +4 for nine holes is bad, in fact it is one under my current handicap, but it could have been tidier.

Next round: Brisbane River or Wolston Park next weekend.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

89 for 35 points (14/21) at Thaxted today. Mediocre on the front 9 but played 10-17 in +2 which helped a lot.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Senior Member Major Winner

38. 2 birdies and a wipe.

3 holes in I decided I was hitting it well enough to use a new ball so I swapped and hit my tee shot on 4 into the piss. Back to the old ball and I finished with that one. It’s a funny old game.

Friday arvo 9 hole short course comp, hit it ok with no luck and lots of putts for 15 points. Felt ok.Saturday round 1 of club champs. Was 5 over after 11 and feeling good about the world, before the most headless double from nowhere. Then missed the fairway by a foot on 13, ended up in a hole, plonked it in the piss. Triple. Head exploded. So pop fly my tee shot on 14 into the piss. Nett 70 becomes nett 75 quickly.So Sunday - wasn't feeling it at all early, and carded 3 doubles in the first 5 holes. Urgh. Got it back to something that was looking ok until a 'lucky' 8 on 16 - when your provisional goes in the drink, and your next ends up in a garden bed Peter Brocked, it was looking at a 13...So I'll need a decent round to make the seeded group last week, but 11 shots is a big head start to give.
    Last edited by WBennett; 13th October 2020 at 06:50 PM.

Played at McLeod on Sunday with the social club, ended up with 91 off the stick for 67 nett. Started out well with a nice 240m drive down the middle of the fairway but ended up with a bogey. Another in the group holed his pitch shot for an eagle. I did birdie the par 5 3rd, with a mix of pars, bogeys and a double or two for the rest to hit 44 on the front (+7). Didn't fare so well on the back with a couple of blowouts, but finished nicely hitting the green on the par 3 18th. Unfortunately 3 putted it.

I was striking the ball better, and avoided the recent hooking of long irons except for one shot. I hit four fairways but had another 5 or 6 that were still effective drives. Also hit 5 greens which was an improvement over recent rounds. I could have been a few shots lower if I could get the hang of the greens but wasn't to be. Next round is on Sunday at Keperra.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

81/75 in round 1 of club champs qualifiers. Couldn't sink a putt. Threw my putter at my bag after the 18th, but missed that too...

37 points at Thaxted off 16. Was -1 through 3 holes but normality ensued. 21 points on front, 16 on the back.

17/10/2020, Brisbane River GC, Stableford.

Stats: 4/11 fairways, 7/18 greens, 33 putts.
    Score: PBPBXXPXB BPbPPPPBB; 43:36:79 (+11:+2:+13); 14-19-33pts.

A 200m par 3 is a tough way to start a round, but I surprised myself by hitting the green with my three wood and starting with a par, so I thought I might be in for a good day. On the third, I had a pretty short birdie putt that didn't make it to the hole, thanks to slow greens with clippings on them. The good round didn't eventuate, even though I thought I was hitting it decently. I had a stretch, where my mistakes were punished badly, and the promising start disappeared.

I did right the ship for the back nine and playing some very solid golf, hitting a bunch of greens, but only converting the one birdie putt. I think I probably should have had an even par back nine, but it was tough putting on normal greens, let alone the shitty temp green at one stage. Still, overall it was promising to be able to hit the irons decently now, and the back nine shows that maybe I will play a round under handicap one day.

Next round: I'll be aiming to play Maroochy River or Maleny next Sunday.

38 round the front.
    Then D, Bog, D, 4 putt triple.

Nett 72. Seeded group for B grade tomorrow.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

29 points at Half Moon Bay this morning. 19 for the first nine and then fell apart on the back. The back nine at HMB has been messing with my head.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Mackay Open Round 1 today
    71 gross
    Seeded in last group of 4 for A grade

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Mackay Open Round 1 today71 grossSeeded in last group of 4 for A grade
    Nice round, Ash.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

71 gross
    Nice round!

Choose your own tee day today. Finally got to play one of these. Been hanging out for it for ages.

I chose the Red tees playing just under 5200m. It was a lot of fun taking different lines into holes and ripping driver on a lot of holes I wouldn't normally. Never an easy up and down out there either.

Pretty windy day made it more interesting. +2 after the first 9, managed 4 birdies on the back to shoot -3 and finish -1.

Hopefully next time I'll play reds again but with the vintage clubs.

Sadly for most in the comp, everyone stuck to their usual tees (blue men and red women). Was hoping more would take on a new challenge so it sticks around a bit more.
    Last edited by Matt 3 Jab; 18th October 2020 at 06:24 AM.

Mackay Open Round 1 today71 grossSeeded in last group of 4 for A grade
    Good luck in the next round, Ash.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

71 gross
    Best of luck today Ash!!

Terrible 109 at Keperra (north course) today, can't even remember the Stableford score but it was under 30. Ball striking of itself was good, just the direction it went wasn't where it should have gone more often than not, and my pitching and chipping were off too. Only hit one fairway and four greens in regulation, although I was still in ok position from the missed fairways most times.

On the positive side I did at least win two NTPs, one was a 180m 4 iron straight at the flag to about 10 feet. Also finished the round with back to back birdies, the second was my other NTP. The ugly hooks I've been hitting in recent times with the long irons disappeared today which was pleasing, and of all the shots I think I topped two and chunked one which was good, hopefully I can keep that up and work more on alignment to get more accurate.

Thread Information