Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member Teaching Pro

Default 2010 to 2020 - Observations on Golf Equipment

Hi Guys / Girls,

Over the past 10 years I have observed plenty of changes domestically, and internationally, with regard to golf equipment and purchasing. I find it interesting, hence this post to gauge what others have noticed and whether you agree or disagree with me.

Firstly, the price of equipment has steadily risen above CPI during that 10 year period, there were some outliers previously, niche Japanese gear and some of the Callaway products (i-Mix drivers, FT irons with Titanium faces), however drivers are now $7-800 per unit retail and irons are between $180-300 per iron retail.

Secondly, the custom fitting has improved out of sight. Titleist was previously only available at "green grass" pro shops so custom fitting was done by professionals and PING led the way in the off course shops for custom fitting and custom built clubs.

Thirdly, some companies have risen, others have dropped. I would have to say that the most meteoric rise during that 10 years is TaylorMade. Previously, they were releasing average product every 9 months, and the product was often superseeded in Australia after less than 6 months as the new US Gear would be released early... The turning point seemed to be the SLDR driver, I recall that holding its price point for 2 years, the first TaylorMade driver in years to do so. Since then, they have dominated metal woods and in the last year, the irons and wedge offerings have improved in appearance out of sight. Fair play to TM. Probably the brand which was a real shame to lose was Adams Golf (swallowed by TM), I was always impressed with their gear, and it seemed to sell very well through Golf World/Golf Mart in Australia. Tour Edge has probably picked up part of that market share and with a new fitting cart coming into Drummonds in November, I think this is where I will steer my wife for her next custom fit.

Lastly, in NSW and ACT where I spend my time (unfortunately for our Victorian cousins they have missed this) golf is BOOMING. I was in Power Golf in Sydney a few weeks ago and couldn't get a park, they are up 300% since Corona. Kids, wives, all happy to give it a try. This is awesome and not related to a "Tiger-boom".

Just my two cents, welcome others comments about the 2010-2020 period.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Yep golf retail and play has gone off the charts last 6 months. Except vic
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Teaching Pro

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Yep golf retail and play has gone off the charts last 6 months. Except vic
    What seems to be selling the most in your patch Mark?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Buckets of balls at driving ranges
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information