Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MiClub App

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default MiClub App

This has been a hot topic for debate with a few people, so I thought I'd start a thread.

Clubs can purchase a license outright for all of their members, which allows them to use it at their home track, or individuals can subscribe for $16.50 per annum. Interesting that if you wish to use it at another course, you'd still have to pay the $16.50 even if your club subscribed.

I personally was told it was going to be a lot more originally, so the $16.50 didn't seem to bad at first. Then Simmsy pointed out that it is just an app. When I looked at it from that perspective, it does seem on the high side. I won't be using the GPS feature, so that adds zero value for me.

A great cash cow for Mi-Club for sure.

I probably won't be purchasing it, not because of the cost, more because I don't like having to pull my phone out every single hole to score. Golf is a bit of a timeout from the cyborg life of checking our phones every few minutes. I like the traditional scorecard as well as I can easily keep track of the side games we have on (a feature that Mi-Club says is in the works)

My club is considering purchasing the subscription for all - I'd like to see the money go to improving the course.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Just received the club email to say they have purchased the subscription.
    In the interests of openness i think the price should have been disclosed and membership collectively made the decision.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Nice thread JC.

We went to MiScore which I like to a point, but I too found I didn't enjoy being attached to the phone. The last couple of rounds have gone back to a card then transfer the scores later in the round - which have improved my scores, as I don't get extracted by WAnkers on a group chat, or work calls, texts etc.

As for cost, I don't know what Kev and the committee have committed to, but it looks like its our choice going forward.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Major Winner

We don't use MiClub at our course, so not really an issue.

I am not a fan of the long term introduction of "score yourself" scenarios, so I am glad we don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    We don't use MiClub at our course, so not really an issue.

I am not a fan of the long term introduction of "score yourself" scenarios, so I am glad we don't use it.
    I find a lot more scoring errors occur on the app vs the traditional card.

Not sure $16.50 for the year is expensive considering we pay $79 for a dozen Pro V1's hundreds on clubs etc + a daily comp fee around $7-$12.

The score yourself mode has only been put in place since COVID started, before that it was mandatory that you had to select a playing partner.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I was just thinking you will need to make sure my playing partners are willing to pay for the app to use with me

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    We don't use MiClub at our course, so not really an issue.I am not a fan of the long term introduction of "score yourself" scenarios, so I am glad we don't use it.
    You don’t score yourself, at least not at our club. You keep somebody else’s score and submit it at the end. We can’t use the app if only one in the group has it however I believe one person can keep score 3 others.
    Last edited by 3Puttpete; 1st October 2020 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    You don’t score yourself, at least not at our club. You keep somebody else’s score and submit it at the end. We can’t use the app if only one in the group has it however I believe one person can keep score 3 others.
    Correct 3PP, but since COVID some clubs were 'worried' that touching someone else's phone (signature) would cause the spread of germs - hence the self score

All our members cross check each others scores. There is zero tolerance for cheating or score errors

Johnny. My golf club will start using this system from next week. Not yet mentioned whether we will use the app

My other club, City GC in toowoomba emailed members today mentioning what you said. Free to use the app at home club but not free elsewhere. From the wording of the newsletter it seems miclub emails all users advertising the subacription confusing members into thinking they have to pay.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

My club is trialling this weekends Open on https://www.golfgenius.com/

It's a new(ish) player in the Aus market but costs significantly less than MiClub. Will report back once we've had a run, but sounds promising from my chat with the manager.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

We use the MiClub stuff for booking etc.

I don't mind the app, which we have been using, it chews your battery, whatever utility it provides is slightly lost on me and happy to go back to a card.

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    My club is trialling this weekends Open on https://www.golfgenius.com/

It's a new(ish) player in the Aus market but costs significantly less than MiClub. Will report back once we've had a run, but sounds promising from my chat with the manager.
    used Golfgenius on both sides - from user perspective its pretty good. admin perspective its a PITA. Its possible that most are bad for admin

NSW GA is using it for their tournaments as well as some other big accounts. Some people here know Peter Shaw (PGA pro not the Pilot) he is the australian sales rep for the product.
    The social club i was on the committee for paid $2500pa for it. Seems to be a flat rate fee, so for a golf club its pretty cheap.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I can guarantee my club won’t be trying it, they’re still giving out paper dockets for balls in the ball comp.

Perry Groves

turn off the distance measure on the app - it will use a lot less battery then.

Benje

Blog Entries

My clubs free trial has ended. I like using it, but will go back to the scorecard..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Benje View Post
    Perry Groves

turn off the distance measure on the app - it will use a lot less battery then.

Benje
    ah, OK, and where would a technology challenged punter undertake this task? Cant see it in settings.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    ah, OK, and where would a technology challenged punter undertake this task? Cant see it in settings.
    Settings: Locations enabled. Turn it off and it shuts down GPS drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Settings: Locations enabled. Turn it off and it shuts down GPS drain.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Correct 3PP, but since COVID some clubs were 'worried' that touching someone else's phone (signature) would cause the spread of germs - hence the self score

All our members cross check each others scores. There is zero tolerance for cheating or score errors
    There’s no need to touch anyone else’s phone.

At our club you had two sigs per phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    At our club you had two sigs per phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just one for us. I sign and submit his, he signs and submits mine

The downfall of turning off location services is that every time you go to enter a score, it prompts you to turn location services on. Extremely annoying.

It's a great app, love it !!

Nudgee G.C have just informed us they have paid for all members to use it for competitions at no extra cost.
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

No love at Royal back to cards

Thread Information