Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is this the future of Club golf?

Post covid, the board of Mollymook Golf Club have proposed changes that will exclude a formal Women's Committee and a formal Veteran's Committee.
    Every day golf will be available as fee paying 'open' events. On two days in amongst the daily open comp will be a Ladies comp and on another day a Vets comp. Two days a week will allow social golf in the mornings, alongside the open comp and each afternoon will have the option of comp or social.
    Competitions will be wholly organised by 'The Management'and will be mostly Stableford based.
    No members groups are to be allowed and no times will be blocked out exclusively for women, or men.
    Visitors and societies, however, will be allowed to block book tee times.

Are there any other clubs adopting these methods to ensure equality?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Bravo.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Nudgee

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Are they allowed to call them men and women though?

Might as well go the whole hog and adopt every politically correct term I’d have thought?

Yes there is and its been happening for up to 20 years already in some places. Emerald Lakes on the GC is one and actuallly has (had) genderless club championship even though the ladies play off their own tees.

You can blame the vexatious legal action by the lady at Royal Queensland a year or two ago for making certain of this everywhere. The precedent is now set.

Wont be long before there wont be any Men and Ladies comps anywhere either because of all the gender pc crap thats gathering motion. It will just become seperate comps for blue tees, red tees etc and you can simply play the one you choose.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Yes there is and its been happening for up to 20 years already in some places. Emerald Lakes on the GC is one and actuallly has (had) genderless club championship even though the ladies play off their own tees.You can blame the vexatious legal action by the lady at Royal Queensland a year or two ago for making certain of this everywhere. The precedent is now set. Wont be long before there wont be any Men and Ladies comps anywhere either because of all the gender pc crap thats gathering motion. It will just become seperate comps for blue tees, red tees etc and you can simply play the one you choose.
    How come Royal Queensland women have a blocked out time on Tuesday from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm and men have the same blocked times on Wednesdays?

Yes there is and its been happening for up to 20 years already in some places. Emerald Lakes on the GC is one and actuallly has (had) genderless club championship even though the ladies play off their own tees.

You can blame the vexatious legal action by the lady at Royal Queensland a year or two ago for making certain of this everywhere. The precedent is now set.

Wont be long before there wont be any Men and Ladies comps anywhere either because of all the gender pc crap thats gathering motion. It will just become seperate comps for blue tees, red tees etc and you can simply play the one you choose.
    That is all swell but the ladies will bitch and moan about any tough pin placements.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Putter View Post
    How come Royal Queensland women have a blocked out time on Tuesday from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm and men have the same blocked times on Wednesdays?
    The legal action she took was about saturdays.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

MtB

we have one comp, and you can play from blue, white, red or green.
    I am a 12 handicap from white, and 8 from red. From blue with the (too) long carries, I am just handicapped.

Benje

We tried that for about 3 weeks before it got canned.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I suspect that in the long term the answer will be no, and both Mollymook and others will go back to 'the way it has always been'.

In my experience, the vast majority of golfers are conservative, they don't like change, and they whinge when changes occur. They like things a certain way, despite the best arguments of a few more enlightened modern thinkers.

Camden Lakeside tried it when I was a member there. Essentially, the regular playing women refused to play with the men, and visa versa. After a bit of too and fro, they gave the women their own comp block tee times on Tuesday and Saturday, and everyone was happy.

As a result of the Covid surge in golfing demand, Ballina has opened up the normal Thursday Womens Event to all players as a Medley Event. For a while it was successful, but every week there are less men playing. At the moment there are two regular groups of men (who play every day) and a couple of husband and wife mixed groups who play Thursdays, but otherwise its gone back to a field of women players.

"Equality" in club golf is great in theory, but the majority, on both sides of the fence, don't actually want it.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

The legal action she took was about saturdays.
    She was 100% correct and the court agreed.

Years ago I asked my club manager why I need to purchase a 7 day membership when I wasn't allowed to play on a Tuesday.
    No response.

Nudgee during COVID is as you describe.

We are also transitioning away from “members and associates”. It’s now one fee for both genders and we are all “members”.

There are traditional ladies Tuesday comp and a men’s Wednesday comp but there are medley comps run as well.

Will be interesting to see if we revert to set days once our courses have been fully redeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Years ago I asked my club manager why I need to purchase a 7 day membership when I wasn't allowed to play on a Tuesday.
    No response.
    I could have asked the same thing when Wednesdays were men only

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    I could have asked the same thing when Wednesdays were men only
    Exactly my sentiments. All equal.
    When I was a member, the woman could play all days. No men Tuesday.
    Last edited by wazamac; 29th September 2020 at 05:34 PM.

Do they have a gender neutral option on the membership forms - you could then play in the ladies comp and win every week Waz.

Negative Nancy might have a thing or two to say at lunch though

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Do they have a gender neutral option on the membership forms - you could then play in the ladies comp and win every week Waz.

Negative Nancy might have a thing or two to say at lunch though
    Not saying I wanted to play on that day unless was on holidays which was very rare. Just asked the question.

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Not saying I wanted to play on that day unless was on holidays which was very rare. Just asked the question.
    slip on a skort, you'll be right

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    She was 100% correct and the court agreed.
    According to the public info yeah. But there was other stuff not reported. She was absolutely vexatious in her actions. No other lady member wanted it, and her own husband didnt want it either. I got a reliable first hand source for that. Cant believe she won.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Benje View Post
    MtB we have one comp, and you can play from blue, white, red or green.I am a 12 handicap from white, and 8 from red. From blue with the (too) long carries, I am just handicapped.Benje
    All regular comps run as medley comps like this is a good idea I reckon. One day when we’re a bit more grown up some of the old fellas might even play from the forward tees. Club champs is a different story, I can see an argument for gender specific comps.

According to the public info yeah. But there was other stuff not reported. She was absolutely vexatious in her actions. No other lady member wanted it, and her own husband didnt want it either. I got a reliable first hand source for that. Cant believe she won.
    Sure, I believe you.

She was clearly discriminated against and the fact that the Club let it go through the courts reflects very poorly on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Sure, I believe you. She was clearly discriminated against and the fact that the Club let it go through the courts reflects very poorly on them.
    Thats not how it transpired, call me if you wanna know the truth I aint name dropping someone in a public space
    in short: she refused all reasonable compromises, so the club elected to go to court so that a precedent would be set.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 29th September 2020 at 06:42 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Hilarious. You never disappoint.

and you are the 2nd biggest stirrer here. aint fooling me for a second
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information