Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default WDYSTM = September 2020

A threadstarter, but nothing else special about my round today, for 32 points.

There was an element of swings and roundabouts in luck though. I got an unlucky bounce into the back bunker on the 3rd, and turned that into a wipe. The very next hole I hit the wrong club downwind, but it hit the flag and stayed next to the flag for an easy 4 pointer. I chipped in two holes later, and missed a short putt the next hole.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

04/09/2020, City GC, Ambrose.

Played on Friday up at City GC with the OZgolf gang. I hit the driver well and had the putter dialled in, but I still couldn't hit the irons except off the tee.

06/09/2020, Jindalee GC, Social 9 holes.

Stats: 2/6 fairways, 4/9 greens, 15 putts.
    Score: BPBbPBPBP; 37 (+3).

Another improvement on last week's round. The driver was off the boil early, but I finally figured out how to hit an iron. I narrowed my stance a bit, and managed to hit the ball, instead of the ground behind it. The flushed three iron at the pin and resultant birdie on the 4th was the highlight. The 8 iron didn't come to the party though. I had three shots with it, and every time it fell at least a 15m short, even though it felt good off the club. Strange! Putting did the job, but it was a little tough on sanded greens.

Next round: Probably Jindalee again next Sunday, although I'm tempted to play a comp on the Saturday.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

32 points this morning. Could have easily been better with a wipe on the last

Absolute rubbish from me today, 18 points at Oxley. Doesn't really help that my handicap is lower than it probably should be but it is going up. I was off 11 today, only managed 5 points on the front 9. I could hit reasonably straight, but just had no timing for some reason. A lot more tops and fats than normal. Only started playing well on the final two holes.

On a positive note though I was hitting the driver nice and straight, hit 8/14 fairways with a couple of other close misses. Pitching and chipping were reasonable as well.

Won't be there for the next three weeks as the social club has three Sundays in a row coming up so I'll be playing those games.

Senior Member Major Winner

33. 2 wipes.

I may have turned a corner.

37 points off 2. I started with 3 birdies and the rest after that wasn't so good. It was raining and blowing over 50kmh.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    37 points off 2. I started with 3 birdies and the rest after that wasn't so good. It was raining and blowing over 50kmh.
    Nice work, that good old south easterly blowing?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Good one, Ash.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

13/09/2020, Jindalee GC, Social 9 holes.

Stats: 4/6 fairways, 2/9 greens, 16 putts.
    Score: BBbXXBbPB; 40 (+7).

A bit of a regression in the game with the irons continuing to be crap, even though I can mostly hit a driver or three wood dead straight. Only two greens in reg, one with the putter on a short par 4, and the other was an eight iron off the tee. I think I might be subconsciously protecting my hip/adductor, and swinging mostly with the upper body, which had led to lost distance and accuracy. I pushed quite a few putts to the right today, which was annoying, but at least I got a couple of birdies amongst the rest of the mess.

Next round: Maybe I'll finally play a comp again with some OZgolf crew at Redland Bay on Friday, then a social 18 somewhere on the Sunday, if I can book somewhere close besides Jindalee.

Had a pretty ordinary round at Wolston Park yesterday, ended up with 97 (+31). Not many positives, I played about 4 holes well over the course, for 3 pars and one birdie from a chip in. Driver was working well, although I only hit 3 fairways I was hitting it pretty straight and most times ended up in good position anyway. I kept mis-timing irons, shanking them, hitting them fat. Almost every tee shot on the par 3 holes was crap. I'm sure that will go away as it does tend to come and go, but it's frustrating when I get into these slumps. I don't really like that course much so maybe that got into my head a bit. Hopefully next Sunday at Woodford will be a better round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    Had a pretty ordinary round at Wolston Park yesterday, ended up with 97 (+31). Not many positives, I played about 4 holes well over the course, for 3 pars and one birdie from a chip in. Driver was working well, although I only hit 3 fairways I was hitting it pretty straight and most times ended up in good position anyway. I kept mis-timing irons, shanking them, hitting them fat. Almost every tee shot on the par 3 holes was crap. I'm sure that will go away as it does tend to come and go, but it's frustrating when I get into these slumps. I don't really like that course much so maybe that got into my head a bit. Hopefully next Sunday at Woodford will be a better round.
    If you play Wolly Park again, Kelsey, maybe you should put the driver away for most holes; you generally don't need it there.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Shot 76 at Kingaroy open on the back of 3 hours sleep,and $200 invested at the kingaroy hotel.

My mate spent most of the 18 holes lying on the ground wanting to die, i was as fresh as a spring daisy.

I only drank whiskey straigt all night, my mate drank beer.

Lesson for you kiddies out there. Dont drink beer, its bad for you.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    That's crap. It depends on the beer.

Still struggling with 30 points off 14 hdcp.
    Driving is more consistent with a slight fade, but lost alot of distance. With most 2nd shots from 170m onward. pars came from up and downs
    Iron striking is much better, distance control on the faster green was good with most holes with 2 putts.
    but just occasional brain farts resulting in drive behind a tree or missing should be easy 1m putts; had 4 brain farts hole wipes.

A late check-in for Saturday's round at Half Moon Bay with a score of 31 points. Struggled early with the irons and also club selection in blustery conditions. Too many visits to the penalty areas although, I did manage to play the last 3 holes in one under par to finish on a positive note.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    If you play Wolly Park again, Kelsey, maybe you should put the driver away for most holes; you generally don't need it there.
    Probably true, I just have more confidence to hit it straight than the other woods, and especially the longer irons. However, I probably won't play there again unless the social club goes there next year. Might even miss that game anyway and play a comp at Oxley instead.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

First time I'd had a proper swing for two weeks due to a skin cancer related injury. After three holes I was thinking about how easy this game is, then it all fell apart. 9 points over the next 9 holes, mainly due to simple bad golf. From that point I had a few miracle recoveries to crawl my way to 28 points.

Still, it was good to be out on the course after a 2 week period where I couldn't do much of anything.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Feast or famine for me today. First time I can remember having more birdies than pars. The long putt from the fringe for eagle on 7 was nice.

I'll post the scorecard so everyone can "taste the rainbow"

Impressive card for the variety. Couldn't find a way to have a triple bogey?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Impressive card for the variety. Couldn't find a way to have a triple bogey?
    I tried - the putt for double on 17 was quite lengthy

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Shot 76 at Kingaroy open on the back of 3 hours sleep,and $200 invested at the kingaroy hotel.

My mate spent most of the 18 holes lying on the ground wanting to die, i was as fresh as a spring daisy.

I only drank whiskey straigt all night, my mate drank beer.

walked to the course in the morning....

walked to the course in the morning....

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Feast or famine for me today. First time I can remember having more birdies than pars. The long putt from the fringe for eagle on 7 was nice.

I'll post the scorecard so everyone can "taste the rainbow"

Great golf mate. Amazing you only had 2 pars in a 79!
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

18/09/2020, Redland Bay GC, Black Marker Stableford.

Stats: 7/14 fairways, 1/18 greens, 27 putts.
    Score: BBBXPBXBP PBBPPPPBX; 48:40:88 (+12:+5:+17); stab 14-18-32pts

Yesterday was my first comp round back since hip surgery in June, and I'm pretty happy with how it went. My game got progressively better throughout the round, and gave some signs that I could continue improving.

Only 1 green in reg is a bit deceiving, as when I found some form on the back nine, I was on the fringe in the area of the green where the pin was four times in a row for pars. The driver was okay, but still lacks some consistency, and faded as I faded late in the round. The putting was good without being great; made the putts that I should have, but didn't sink the long ones.

-----------------------------

19/09/2020, Corinda Pitch n Putt, Matchplay vs my son.

Today I went to the pitch n putt and introduced matchplay to my son. My first instinct was to give him one shot per hole, but I decided to give him two for the nine hardest holes, and one for the others instead. As a result, I got flogged 5 and 3, and even lost a hole with a birdie; he did practically donate me a couple of hole wins with four putts though. I would have lost one down, if I had have gone with my first instinct. He seemed to enjoy it, so I should make it more of a regular thing.

I think it was good for my game too. By the end, I was clipping my pitches nicely, and I got to work on hitting some running 8 irons along the ground a few times.

Score: 3 birdies, 12 pars, 3 bogeys; 28:26:54 (+1:-1:Even)

Senior Member Major Winner

36 for the first time in over 6 months. 3 wipes

88 for 36 today at Thaxted.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Thread Information