Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

31 points this morning. My putting let down on a decent striking day, 37 putts with 4 3 putts tells the story

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Hey do you want that ball marked... Nope i am aiming at it, no way I am gunna hit it (2m break).

I will never say that again. How to turn a birdie putt into a triple in less than 60 seconds.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

My social club handicap is dropping another 5 strokes after I won yesterday at Woodford. Nice little course up there too. I ended up with 48 points, from 89 off the stick (+17). Had a better ball striking day especially with approaches under 100m, was making great contact with the ball on those. Just need to translate it to fuller iron shots more consistently. Got a birdie to kick off the back 9, and had a chance at two others but missed the putts, one of which I really should have made after sticking it about 2m from the hole on approach. The other one was longer but nearly sunk it too. I was happy with my putting overall though, with 30 putts. Next week River lakes, probably be the total opposite 🤣

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Hey do you want that ball marked... Nope i am aiming at it, no way I am gunna hit it (2m break).

I will never say that again. How to turn a birdie putt into a triple in less than 60 seconds.
    Hahaha
    You need more practice, I did that in a pennant match once and the ball bounced off the coin into the hole!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    My social club handicap is dropping another 5 strokes after I won yesterday at Woodford. Nice little course up there too. I ended up with 48 points, from 89 off the stick (+17). Had a better ball striking day especially with approaches under 100m, was making great contact with the ball on those. Just need to translate it to fuller iron shots more consistently. Got a birdie to kick off the back 9, and had a chance at two others but missed the putts, one of which I really should have made after sticking it about 2m from the hole on approach. The other one was longer but nearly sunk it too. I was happy with my putting overall though, with 30 putts. Next week River lakes, probably be the total opposite 🤣
    Wow, just a lazy 48. I bet you were popular with the other members 🤣 well done!
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    Hahaha
    You need more practice, I did that in a pennant match once and the ball bounced off the coin into the hole!
    i am caddying for a guy in a pennant match and the opponent has a 3 foot birdie putt for a win, and made my player leave his ball next to the hole - sitting virtually at 8 'o clock. it was in a great position for an in-off, there is no way he could knock my players ball in on such a short putt, would have had to pull it a mile... and he did.

historical context for the youngsters: it was probably 1981 or 82, back then a player in matchplay could require his opponent to leave his ball there. but if you hit his ball, the opponent could replace it, or play it from where it was moved too. The old matchplay stymie rules changed a lot in the history of golf. in older times a player could deliberately leave his ball on front of the hole to block it. there is many recorded incidents of a player chipping over another ball on the putting green.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Wow, just a lazy 48. I bet you were popular with the other members 🤣 well done!
    Haha thanks mate. I actually tied with someone else but won on countback. There were another 11 or something who scored 40 or more, but they put us off the yellow tees, most of which were forward of the ladies tees, so all but one par 5 played like a par 4, and a lot of the par 4s were a drive and a pitch/chip on. Hitting my irons better than I have been recently helped too. I expect things will be a bit more "normal" in which tees we hit off at this weekend's game though.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

22/09/2020, Gailes GC, Stableford.

Stats: 8/15 fairways, 7/18 greens, 32 putts.
    Score: PPXPPBBBB XPXXPPXPP; 43:44:87 (+6:+8:+14); stab 15-16-31pts.

I threw my name down in the first tee time (6a) at Gailes for this morning. I couldn't see my unknown playing partners while I was warming up and waiting for the pro shop to open. It turns out that these guys always hit off at first light, and mustn't even play in the comp, so I got sent out by myself, marking my own card. Playing a solo round makes for a quick one (2h 40min), which was fine by me, since I still had to get to work, but it does mean there are no distractions from your own head getting in the way when things aren't going so well.

In the end, the round was inconsistent, which is shown by the five pars and four double bogies, but no bogies on the back nine. What a waste!
    The driver was great at times, then it could miss either left or right.
    I hit more greens today, but Gailes lets you know if you miss by usually dumping you into bunkers, which seemed to lack sand today. I hit some terrible shots out on the five occasions that I went in them; two not even ending up on the green.
    Putting felt a bit rushed early on, as I was walking fast, and the heartrate got up early with the hills. I missed a few that I should have definitely got, didn't capitalise on the birdie chances that I did have, but did sink a few nice ones as well.
    The irons are still sucky, but the contact is getting better. The highlight was the performance of the hybrid, which hit three great shots, although the pressure is off accuracy when the target is a fairway and not a green.

Next round: I'll probably aim for a Saturday comp round somewhere, if I can get on, even if I get roped into another Sunday social 9.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Rubbish golf from me today for 31 points.

My long game was pretty good, so I was in position to make par on every hole, but I just kept throwing away shots from easy positions. I got so frustrated that both the sand wedge and putter were threatened with a helicopter ride after really bad misbehaviour.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Thought I would never really need to post in here again, nobody really cares about a succession of 28-32s, today things went better.

43 points off 10, 4 birdies, 3 doubles and a bogey, even par the back nine. First time I have ever seen the -1 that they dock you on all rounds.

Course was mint, can't remember when I've played on better greens, the couch is growing again, even won a bit on the punt this afternoon. Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Thought I would never really need to post in here again, nobody really cares about a succession of 28-32s, today things went better.43 points off 10, 4 birdies, 3 doubles and a bogey, even par the back nine. First time I have ever seen the -1 that they dock you on all rounds.Course was mint, can't remember when I've played on better greens, the couch is growing again, even won a bit on the punt this afternoon. Good day.
    Great golf mate!
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

26/09/2020, Wolston Park GC, Par.

Stats: 5/11 fairways, 5/18 greens, 30 putts.
    Score: PPBBPXXPP PBbBXBBBB; 41:39:80 (+6:+7:+13); par -1:-3:-4

A return to my old home club of Wolston Park today for a Par competition. I like the format, but it was a bit deflating being given a daily handicap of 7, and wondering where I was going to get the pluses from. It was also a bit annoying being sent out as a group of two within the field, knowing that it would mean a bit of waiting on tees. No big deal though.

The course was quite challenging today, with the wind really blowing hard at times, and throwing some of my ballooned irons around. One in particular seemed to get thrown 40m to the right; in hindsight, I should have hit a runner into the green, rather than taking on the wind. All of the pins were in really nasty positions too for some reason, so there weren't many easy up and downs or putts.

There were enough good holes today, some average stuff, and the really bad stuff that blows my score out. Irons are the real problem, but the driver could be better too, or at least a consistent miss to one side. I feel like I am getting some feel back around the greens too. My highlight hole was the 12th where I hit drive as far down the fairway as I can ever remember, then pitched a PW to the uphill green to within 50cm for an easy tap-in birdie. It was just a shame that I only needed a par for the +.

Next round: Nothing locked in, but I might try another pre-work round during the week, then try for McLeod next Saturday morning.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

4 double bogies today in an 81/75. A better score than I deserved really given how bad my ball striking was with my irons.

95/83 in 3rd round of club champs (another almost 5 hr round today.)

1 bird
    3 pars
    Lots of others

Wind was very challenging today. The flags were certainly flapping around!

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    95/83 in 3rd round of club champs (another almost 5 hr round today.)

1 bird
    3 pars
    Lots of others

Wind was very challenging today. The flags were certainly flapping around!
    How'd you go today ?
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarro View Post
    How'd you go today ?
    92/80

Better but still pretty shit

Woohoo. had my first putt in eagle in more than 10 years. Dont ask what I shot for the rest of the round.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Played Riverlakes today in a stroke event in my social club, shot 63 off the stick. Pity that was only the back 9 😂 (started on the 10th). I kept shanking irons and short approach shots, had 13 on a par 3 with three in the water from shanks. Absolute rubbish golf. I was even hitting fades with my driver which hasn't happened for months, so something was definitely off. I made a small adjustment to the ball position in my stance for irons on the "back" 9, moving it forward an inch or two and slightly opening my stance. The shanks suddenly disappeared and I was hitting nice straight irons. Also started getting the familiar draw with my driver again. 5/9 greens (6/18 overall), hit 44 on that 9. I was +4 after 8 holes with 5 pars, but hit my drive into some rubbish on the 9th that was rather difficult to escape from and ended up with 8 on the hole. I was much happier with that 9 though, would have been nice to play like that the whole round.

In the end I was able to limit the damage to 107 for a nett 83. Par was 70. I'll take what I learnt into my next round Monday week. Public holiday comp at Oxley. Would be nice to beat my PB of 87 there.

Woohoo. had my first putt in eagle in more than 10 years. Dont ask what I shot for the rest of the round.
    ah, go on do tell...

I shot 14 over last week with a putt in eagle...did you beat that?

12 Over yesterday.

Hit the ball well, 10 fairway, 10 greens.

Putted ok, 33 putts.

Bunker play was like I had never played the game. Topped it off on the 16th. Had 110m in from middle of the fairway. Flew the green and put it in the back pot. Bladed it out over the green. Pitched it back into the bunker. Left it in the bunker. wedge out to 10 feet. Miss the putt, tap in 8 after a near perfect tee shot!

Went back to old school thinking and playing. Using a Clear Key swing though, carried the bag, put an old putter in. Closest I have been to playing well in a long time.

Strained a back muscle on the fifth hole, struggled to get out of bed today...was an interesting round overall!

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    ah, go on do tell...
    I told you not to ask me that
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    I shot 14 over last week with a putt in eagle...did you beat that?
    I tripled our index 18 ( harmless 120m par 3) and i still got ya by a few fingers😂

Finally, after a string of poor rounds, some light at the end of the tunnel. 35 points doesn't sound spectacular, but I was serving up the usual rubbish and 4 down after 11, then I made a adjustment that worked.

I'm actually looking forward my next round on Wednesday.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Today's round will be my last round for a few weeks. I was hoping it would all be good and I would have pleasant memories to draw from when I return. Sort of, but not quite, is the result.

34 points was the final tally, with a really good back nine to save the round after an awful stretch from holes 4 to 9.

I did get the pleasure of watching one of my partners doing a Tin Cup impersonation. On a hole with a steep incline in front of the green, and to a pin placed only about 12 feet onto the green, one of my partners left his shot just at the bottom of the hill, with about 20 feet of mown fairway before the green. Putter is the safe shot, but if you leave it short it will roll back to you. Player A left it short, and watched it roll back, then left it short and watched it roll back, then again, then again, and picked up for a wipe. 4 times he putted up and left it short. Fortunately, he laughed, because I was trying not to laugh.

Rounds for September

Sarina 80 - 5 - 75
    Emerald 78 - 4 74
    Gracemere lakes 78 - 4 - 74
    Town of 1770 74 - 2 - 72
    Hervey Bay 83 - 6 - 77
    Maryborough 83 - 7 - 76
    Cooroy 81 - 4 - 77
    Beerwah 85 - 7 - 78
    Maleny 77 - 6 - 71

An interesting month of golf with many new layouts played of all varying quality. The different green surfaces and finding my way around the new layouts is a good challenge. Some courses are easier to work out than others, but that's all part of the fun.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 30th September 2020 at 07:07 PM.

Thread Information