Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Hints to combat consistently hitting driver low on the clubface

I recently picked up a Mizuno St190G driver without demoing it first (as I love the 3 wood). However, I’ll be buggered if I can find the centre of the clubface with it. I hit it low on the face about 80% of the time. Frustrating, as it is as long and forgiving as anything out there, but not when you hit it off the bottom consistently ...

I tried teeing it higher (and nearly missed it altogether!) and lower, as well as moving it forward and back in the stance. All of which pretty much made no difference to strike at all. Its actually screwing up with my swing as I try to counteract this problem, but I can’t work out what to do. I am currently playing it at 7 degrees in order to bring the spin down a bit.

The biggest difference I can work out is that it has a longer shaft than normal (for me), but gripping down the shaft an inch didn’t seem to help either.

Any suggestions? I was going to do a test against a Cobra F9, but at the moment there is literally no point as it isn’t going much further than my 3-wood (except for the rare one that I do middle, which bombs it out there).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Have you thought about removing your shoes before hitting driver?
    It is doing my head in enough that I am prepared to consider that idea.

However, the weather forecast for Armidale for the next few months will probably preclude me trying it. I think it got to a maximum of 8 degrees today, but with the wind, evidently the 'feels like' temperature didn't get above 3. it is currently 3.3 degrees with a feels like of minus 4.8.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I’d try a softer flex shaft maybe let the head release a bit more?
    Trial and error I suppose?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

From memory toe hits can be caused by the club being too heavy. There isnt much point wondering why the two clubs swing different unless they are both the same shaft and the heads weigh the same. As they are not the same, then different results is the normal.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Have you thought about removing your shoes before hitting driver?
    He needs golf shoes with a higher heel.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    From memory toe hits can be caused by the club being too heavy. There isnt much point wondering why the two clubs swing different unless they are both the same shaft and the heads weigh the same. As they are not the same, then different results is the normal.
    This is largely academic now, as I’ll hopefully pass the Mizuno onto a more worthy owner soon. However, I am still genuinely interested as to what the club / shaft characteristic is that is causing me to consistently strike it low.

The point of the two photos was more to show that it wasn’t specifically swing flaws (as crap as my swing is) that was causing the result, as I am still hitting my other driver how I would normally expect. I also hit an old Callaway driver head that showed a similar higher impact pattern. There is just something about how I swing the Mizuno that isn’t working. And I am still keen to try and work out what that is.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I'm not sure if you've seen this GolfWRX thread before? There is some useful info on there. From my understanding low face strikes can be because a shaft is too soft but I don't think that's the case here with an Atmos black.
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussio...up-diy-fitting

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    This is largely academic now, as I’ll hopefully pass the Mizuno onto a more worthy owner soon. However, I am still genuinely interested as to what the club / shaft characteristic is that is causing me to consistently strike it low.

The point of the two photos was more to show that it wasn’t specifically swing flaws (as crap as my swing is) that was causing the result, as I am still hitting my other driver how I would normally expect. I also hit an old Callaway driver head that showed a similar higher impact pattern. There is just something about how I swing the Mizuno that isn’t working. And I am still keen to try and work out what that is.
    Are you low in center mostly or low in the heal mostly?
    Played with a mate a couple of moths ago now that was having a low impact problem on the driver (his favoring heal mostly) and it was glaringly obvious to me he was reaching for it at address. There was so much space between his hand position and pelvic area you could drive a truck through it. As uncomfortable as he felt we got his hand position in closer and closed that massive space and hey presto the impact started coming back to the middle and higher up the face again.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Are you low in center mostly or low in the heal mostly?
    Funnily enough, it was mostly either low toe or low centre. I can’t ever recall that impact tendency. The reason that I even started paying attention to strike location was that the ball flight was so different to what I had ever seen before that I wondered what the hell was going on. Flew like a busted duck - started off like a low-hook, but then spun up into the air and ultimately went nowhere (except left). Hard to describe really, other than shi ...

Quote Originally Posted by NewyMitch View Post
    I'm not sure if you've seen this GolfWRX thread before? There is some useful info on there. From my understanding low face strikes can be because a shaft is too soft but I don't think that's the case here with an Atmos black.
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussio...up-diy-fitting
    Thanks for that link - interesting reading.

Thread Information