Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Hints to combat consistently hitting driver low on the clubface

I recently picked up a Mizuno St190G driver without demoing it first (as I love the 3 wood). However, I’ll be buggered if I can find the centre of the clubface with it. I hit it low on the face about 80% of the time. Frustrating, as it is as long and forgiving as anything out there, but not when you hit it off the bottom consistently ...

I tried teeing it higher (and nearly missed it altogether!) and lower, as well as moving it forward and back in the stance. All of which pretty much made no difference to strike at all. Its actually screwing up with my swing as I try to counteract this problem, but I can’t work out what to do. I am currently playing it at 7 degrees in order to bring the spin down a bit.

The biggest difference I can work out is that it has a longer shaft than normal (for me), but gripping down the shaft an inch didn’t seem to help either.

Any suggestions? I was going to do a test against a Cobra F9, but at the moment there is literally no point as it isn’t going much further than my 3-wood (except for the rare one that I do middle, which bombs it out there).

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I am currently playing it at 7 degrees in order to bring the spin down a bit.
    Ummm, yeah

Always played drivers at 8 or 9 degrees - I had this one initially at the standard 9 degrees and then dropped down to 8 and then 7. Low on the clubface is spinning the ball up for me, so lowering the loft is helping with that a bit.

Its the best setting for me at the moment, but if I could hit it off the centre consistently, I’d bump it back up again.

Always played drivers at 8 or 9 degrees - I had this one initially at the standard 9 degrees and then dropped down to 8 and then 7. Best setting at the moment, but if I could hit it off the centre consistently, I’d bump it back up again.
    Taking spin off the ball is going to impact height, you need some spin to get and keep the ball in the air

any off centre hits in that loft are going to be grubbers. I think you need to go back up to 9-10 degrees and book a lesson

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Are you playing a shaft that you're familiar with? I find that I have trouble timing with shafts that feel too 'active'

The other feeling I get when it comes off low is almost like hitting a cover drive. All the weight feels like it's still on the back foot.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Two things I'd consider (at least if I was having this problem):
    1) make sure the ball is far enough back in my stance (hitting low on the face, plus such a low loft, suggests you hitting it well on the up, and maybe need to reduce angle of attack. Got access to a launch monitor?)
    2) spend some time on the range hitting driver off the deck - have to get down after it if you want it to go anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by NewyMitch View Post
    Are you playing a shaft that you're familiar with? I find that I have trouble timing with shafts that feel too 'active'

The other feeling I get when it comes off low is almost like hitting a cover drive. All the weight feels like it's still on the back foot.
    It has an Atmos Black 6x which is a shaft I have used very happily before. As noted though, it is longer than I would normally play it.

The frustrating part is that I am only seeing this problem with this particular driver - all my other clubs are fine, and if I go back to an older driver, I seem to hit it normally (i.e. I hit it all over the face, rather than just low ). Just as frustrating is that, on the rare occasion I do get it off the centre, it is an excellent driver. In fairness, it has pretty great forgiveness considering just how poorly I am hitting it.

Good point re weight transition though. Will have a think about that.

I've got the GT180 model, have you played around with the weights?

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Two things I'd consider (at least if I was having this problem):
    1) make sure the ball is far enough back in my stance (hitting low on the face, plus such a low loft, suggests you hitting it well on the up, and maybe need to reduce angle of attack. Got access to a launch monitor?)
    2) spend some time on the range hitting driver off the deck - have to get down after it if you want it to go anywhere
    Thanks for the suggestions - will give them some thought as well.

I am only playing it at 7 degrees as this is assisting with the low face strikes. At the normal loft, anything struck low was spinning up and losing lots of distance. Lowering the loft has helped this a bit, but even so, striking low on the face really isn’t ideal.

The other thing that I have just thought of - the driver sits very open. Normally, I like this, but I wonder if I am sub-consciously doing something that affects impact.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Swing lower

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    I've got the GT180 model, have you played around with the weights?
    Not a lot to be honest. Any suggestions of what setup may help?

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Swing lower
    That’s what everyone has told me - be buggered if I can though (no idea why).

Having it at 7d and hitting it lower on the face is not helping,and not the answer to reducing spin.Angle of attack,ball position and balance will be the problem.As you say,it is a longer shaft.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Sell me the driver, buy a new one.... that fits your swing.

You need a pro to take a look from behind and front on, $50 well invested.

Sounds like you’re overthinking the whole thing as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You need to look at your spin loft. Sounds like its too much.

If you want to continue with 7deg driver you need to be playing it well forward and tee it up.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

That’s what everyone has told me - be buggered if I can though (no idea why).
    https://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/mizuno-st190-driver-review-4169.aspx

H
    ave a read of this, I got my fitted so they did all the settings.

I have this issue with driver sometimes and for me it is caused from coming out of the shot, usually because I am hitting it crap and I am out of rhythm. If you are anxious about this particular driver it could cause the same issues.

I hate the saying keep your head down, because most people apply it incorrectly, but when I am hitting it like that I focus on staying down through the shot and it comes good.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Swing low
    Sweet chariot, coming for to carry me home
    Forum needs more banter.

A few photos with impact spray to show the problem. The first is the Mizuno, the second is immediately afterwards with a Cobra F9. That low spot is consistently where I get the Mizuno (although, sometimes low centre or low heel as well). It doesn't look like that much, but hitting it that low (and even lower sometimes) just loses a mountain of distance.

Attached Images
    Last edited by Stuart; 22nd June 2020 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Sell me the driver, buy a new one.... that fits your swing.
    Probably the best advice of all really.

I agree that it is now largely mental, but it didn't start out that way. I really wanted to use it - I LOVE the way the Mizuno looks and setsup behind the ball, and the few times I did hit it out of the middle, it goes like the clappers. But, for some reason, I just don't gel with this club.
    Last edited by Stuart; 22nd June 2020 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    I have this issue with driver sometimes and for me it is caused from coming out of the shot, usually because I am hitting it crap and I am out of rhythm. If you are anxious about this particular driver it could cause the same issues.

I hate the saying keep your head down, because most people apply it incorrectly, but when I am hitting it like that I focus on staying down through the shot and it comes good.
    Good suggestions.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Both are pretty toey as well.

Have you tried a different shaft?

A few photos with impact spray to show the problem. The first is the Mizuno, the second is immediately afterwards with a Cobra F9. That low spot is consistently where I get the Mizuno (although, sometimes low centre or low heel as well). It doesn't look like that much, but hitting it that low (and even lower sometimes) just loses a mountain of distance.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Have you thought about removing your shoes before hitting driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Both are pretty toey as well.

Have you tried a different shaft?
    High toe is my normal 'miss' with driver - this is really the first time I have found a club that I consistently hit low on the clubface. From my recent experience, I now think that low toe is probably the second worst impact place for driver (after high heel / near shank).

I haven't tried it with a different shaft, but suspect that is probably the issue. It is slightly longer (.5 inch) than I normally use, but gripping down hasn't made a difference. Time to move it on, and chalk it up to an (expensive) experiment that just didn't work.

Thread Information