Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    martyfenwick

Default Struggling to find golf partners in WA

Finding golfing partners

I moved to a new country a couple of years ago and left my solid network of golfing buddies behind. Since moving overseas I have found it very difficult to find golfing partners that are keen to play anything close to seriously.

I have work mates who like to go to the driving range or to the par 3 9 hole course which is over in the blink of an eye. One of them is still learning so trudging around 18 holes with par 5s is outside his ability at the moment. It’s cool hanging with them but I can’t play any competitive golf or a longer course with them.

I have had the advice “join a club” but I’ve always found that people who join a club are more often than not joining with a friend at the same time. So they’re not alone as newbies on their own looking for someone or a group to join in with.

I have a mate here that likes golf but he appears to be pre-occupied with his wife and kids at the weekend. Any attempts to arrange golf at the weekend hit a brick wall.

I do know a club golfer here - I played with him once with his not so welcoming mates and every time I meet him he says we’ll get a game arranged but I never hear from him. He has his own arrangement where he plays with the same guy every weekend and they give off a very cliquey vibe.

People have said to me to play on my own and I’ll meet people at the course or range. I’ve been on the driving range and practice range at the course and barely anyone speaks a word to me. I’m really not the type of person to walk up to a stranger and try to make small talk as I don’t know if they’re receptive to it or not.

There’s a Golf Buddy Finder website here in (Western) Australia but I think it’s abandoned as anyone I’ve messaged on it has never replied.

I play off 14, or at least I did when I lived in Scotland, so I’m not a complete hacker but I’m not going to be tearing up the course either.

I’m starting to get to the point where I feel like I’ve walked away from a sweet network of golfing buddies that I can’t ever get back where I live now.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get back into the game a bit more?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

have had the advice “join a club” but I’ve always found that people who join a club are more often than not joining with a friend at the same time
    Very Not true. Join a club and play in comps.

People relocate all the time, and the best opportunity to meet new friends is to join any sort of club, golf, bowls, bingo whatever.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

I join a club to get away from my friends. After 33 years, I moved clubs 2 years ago, knowing only 2 people and it took 20 games before I got around to playing with them.

You'll find most clubs have internet timesheets. Look for a vacant spot around the time that you want to play, check their handicaps (if you don't like playing with hackers or scratch players) and enjoy the ride.

Alternatively, get your lofts/lies checked or grips changed at Tourfit Golf and ask for his advice.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I found that when I was playing regularly at a club without friends, that after time you found people in the same situation that you liked and started to play with them.

You might be surprised at the number of people who are members of a club and play in their comps without regular “buddies”.

I do as Dotty suggested, find an empty spot as close to your preferred time as you can.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I agree with the above. Join a club, there will be a group you will be able to join. If not sure, play as a guest at a few clubs before joining. Some clubs might be more welcoming than others.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

WA golfer here. I am at Cannington area, so still pretty central. I am member at Hartfield
    I was in the same situation like you. a bunch of mates got me back into golf. they all dropped off and only a few can play once in a blue moon due to young family.
    At first I just go play with randoms at the usual public courses, like Collier, Wembley, Hillview, Whaleback. then I joined a social group on Gumtree which I think was this group
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pert...oup/1171381903
    great bunch of fellas. Always have a beer after.

Later I joined Hartfield as I wanted to keep track of my handicap and able to play in other clubs competitions. Again, I was just joining up with randoms, but after awhile, I got to know a few more people and would play with them when available. But otherwise, I still play with randoms most of the time. Members there are generally pretty friendly.

I am sure if you join any club, social group, PGN (Perth Golf Network), etc... you will find more people you can click and play regularly with.
    Or just play with randoms and enjoy your golf day

Which part of Perth are you located at?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    You might be surprised at the number of people who are members of a club and play in their comps without regular “buddies”. I do as Dotty suggested, find an empty spot as close to your preferred time as you can.
    I agree. Also, I found it helpful having a chat with the pro shop staff. They usually know which members you might want to avoid as a newcomer and which members might be in a similar situation to yourself.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    You might be surprised at the number of people who are members of a club and play in their comps without regular “buddies”.

I do as Dotty suggested, find an empty spot as close to your preferred time as you can.
    Thats because you have no mates and are quite unlikable.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Thats because you have no mates and are quite unlikable.
    *That’s *unlickable

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Welcome Marty

If you like the game, club golf is where its at in Australia. Most clubs have active weekend comps, and its a good way to meet a heap of new people.

The advice above is all pretty good.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Whilst I would also recommend joining a club, the group of mates I played with has largely broken up, kids sport, some aren't playing for other reasons, I have punting commitments so like being off early which doesn't suit others. Also when I was on the board I tried to play with as many members as I could and got to like it rather than the same blokes every week.

Maybe some of the WAnkers could update whether PGN is still a worthwhile option still for the non-club players: https://www.perthgolfnetwork.com.au/

Thread Information