Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Superspeed training experiment

Well, in searching for the extra distance for my driver and after reading some positive results from other forums' review; I thought I give it a go.

Amazon had a special last week on a set so I've ordered it on Friday and surprisingly, it arrived today.
    Still waiting on the swing speed radar to arrive so I can start some baseline measurement on my progress.
    Will try to do it 3 times a week either at home or at the club range in the morning.

as mentioned before, my current swing speed is averaging around 98mph... with a "slow control" swing would be around 93-95mph while a all out swing was clocked at 104mph (which doesnt always get good distance)

What I am hoping to do is to get the "slow control" swing speed up to say 100mph.

Will follow their program and starting with stage 1

I will also try to keep track of how it affects my swing too
    currently my general misses are a block right and on a really bad swing it would be a cast out to in swing resulting a pulled left.

Member Trainee Pro

Have you seen any of Tyler McGhie on YT. He gets Ian Frazer from TXG from 110mph to 121mph in about 10 swings. More impressive, his swing reacted better to the speed, not reckless.
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Your swing sounds exactly the same as mine....will be interesting to see how you progress...good luck with it all!!
    Ping G430 10K 10.5* Ping Tour 65S Shaft
    Royal Collection 18* 5 Wood
    Ping G425 3/4 Hybrid Stock Regular
    Cobra MIM King 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Ping Glide 3.0 56/60
    Scotty Newport

Yeah saw that video. I have seen a few comments about some people who try to control their swing tends to mess it up more in some instances.
    I have noticed that when I was playing/practicing everyday, my swing speed was pretty good but last 2 weeks I haven't really practice much and last 2 days I'm back in the office. Tonight I went for a tapping session and I felt my swing was terrible and slow. And unable to find the center of the club face.

The radar just arrived today. Will need to organise myself and get to the range early for the first session

Well had my first session today; I decided to head to my local range (Whaleback) that is undercover, hitting off mats since grass range might get soggy and have soft ground that may cause inconsistent with the swings. plus early morning range of $5 for 40 balls should be affordable to do it regularly.
    The range balls are pretty soft so ball speed will not match actual ball speed, but it does have Toptracer there, so it would give me consistent (not realistic) ball speed to give me a gauge on how I am contacting the ball.
    followed the "Dynamic Warmup" routine and hit a few PW and 7i to warm up my swing.

All Swing speeds are average mph
    Pre programe swing (hard swing) : 102 (fastest 103 ball speed 155.4)
    Post programe swing (easy swing) : 102.5 (fastest 107 ball speed 159.625)

I should have done the easy swing before the program, but I thought I wanted to see my max speed as a bench mark. However, I realised with my post program swing was getting the same SS and with better ball contact result.

The program itself is pretty simple, but boy the reverse swing is hard. The difficult part is figuring how to grip the club and the back swing. The reverse step swing makes it slightly easy once you have get the hang of it, but it knocks your swing speed down when going heavier.
    Will need to push myself harder next time as I realised I am suppose to swing them harder to equal to faster than my normal swing speed but its interesting to see that I am struggling to swing it harder,

Result:
    My easier swing after the session was as fast as my "faster" swing pre session. I guess with the training weight I was holding, I find the driver head felt lighter, so I can make a controled slower backswing that seems to be better.
    Same for my 7i after the programe it was much easier to maintain my swing path on the backswing.

Member Trainee Pro

FWIW I have incorporated the Tyler "slam your heel down at transition" pretty erratic early on today, but absolutely nuked one to a total distance of 304m. I think for average golfers like myself there are benefits but it will take a lot of practice.
    Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread! Looking forward to hearing about your gains
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Quote Originally Posted by rickie prowler View Post
    FWIW I have incorporated the Tyler "slam your heel down at transition" pretty erratic early on today, but absolutely nuked one to a total distance of 304m. I think for average golfers like myself there are benefits but it will take a lot of practice.
    Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread! Looking forward to hearing about your gains
    No biggy.... always welcome to discuss different strokes for different folks
    I have tried the slam down, rock the boat, squat down to generate power, etc... but I find my vertical movement is just too inconsistent at the moment to generate the power.....

Had my 2nd session today; condition of the body is a little sore as my butts were kind of sore (haha) after the first session, and also back playing squash with the wife over the last 2 nights so the arms and shoulder is also slightly sore and stiff before the start of the session. another word, I am not 100% ... (more 60% )
    this can be seen with my pre session ss at 100mph which was slower than #1.
    But have noticed general increase in SS for all 3 weights with only 2 weight came down a little
    So far, I see a increase in Maximum SS of 7mph and Average SS increase of 2.8mph ; hopefully this increase is consistent over the next few sessions

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

How did you go with this, okitoki?

I'm experimenting with increasing my swing speed at the moment, but only with a little strength work, and played around with swinging fast at the range today. These sticks are pretty expensive from what I've seen, so I'm interested in how you found the training with them.

Thread Information