Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vicious Circle

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Vicious Circle

Recently just got back from the South East on a golfing trip.
    Really enjoyed the company, trip and seeing new courses.
    Thing is, over the last couple of years the enjoyment of the actual golf has been on a downward trend, to the point I stopped my membership.
    Sounds strange to be all enthused to get out there, but after 4 to 5 holes, you have actually had enough of the crap I'm swinging.

Have been told that there is no easy fix to my swing but cannot find any time to work on it/ lessons etc....
    One out of about every 7 shots is ok. Not topped, thinned, sliced massively or pulled straight into the bush 60 degrees left of me.
    Absolutely killed any confidence I had to the point worrying every time standing over the ball.
    Range near me has recently closed down and never find time to get to the next one. Feel it is a waste of money to join a club as cannot play
    regularly anymore.
    Actually started drafting a sale and taking photos to sell all equipment on Sunday, slept on it and deleted all.

Thus the circle begins with the once a month hit we have here in SA that I really enjoy (until I get out there. Haha)
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Battling your swing during a round can be hugely frustrating. On the other side of the coin, I really get a lift out of a battle back back nine, even if the swing is still an issue and the combined score is still sub handicap. My pigheadedness can be pretty intense, when I put my head to it. It happens to me fairly often, and seems to be more frequent as age creeps on. Playing with the swing you have on the day is oft over used, but it still has fairly slice of truth to it.

I keep telling myself I need to do a range session, but other things always seem to get in the way. And I don't seem even to have any practice rounds these days, it is nearly always a comp round. I think you have to change your expectations and working on making the best score you can, rather than necessarily making the best swings. That may mean hitting different shots than you have historically. Keeping the ball in play, making U & Ds etc. The one part of the game I do still practice a bit is the short game, and it tends to keep me scoring more often than not.

Changing expectations is easier said than done. It is mainly the longer game that is the problem.
    Within 75m is not generally too bad.
    Was actually asked last night after posting this to come back to my old club but cannot mentally do it.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

We'd do OK in a 4 ball comp waza. I'd drive and get it within 75m and you could take over as looking at any target within that distance I've got no confidence whatsoever. Golf is hard.

I feel like Johnny Canuck said it well in another forum post 'you're putting unnecessary pressure on yourself'

Golf is hard and emotional at times. Getting over your own expectations will always be the biggest challenge

Going back to 2014 onwards when we first started playing together I did not practice or have any time to focus on my own game. I would turn up and make it clear I was present for the company and scenery. Its only because of my change of (work from home) job, a 10 minute commute to my new club and the regular amount of playing from last year that has suddenly knocked my game into gear.

Edit: having lessons from someone I trusted, who was there for me and not to make money or make drastic changes also helped my cause significantly; thank you Phil Roberts!
    Last edited by thecollective; 28th May 2020 at 10:36 AM.

I all well know that the pressure I put on myself is a big cause. If I could get my mind right I wouldn't have the mental issues in my life.
    Practicing would probably help. Working 12 to 14 hour days doesn't. Saturdays now taken up with food shopping, cleaning, laundry etc... Sunday's get some work on the house.
    That is if I am not at work weekends too.
    As said before, I am all enthused to get out there, chat, walk, see new places. Soon as I stand over the ball, everything goes south.

As you guys have seen, It may also come down to distance and panic. When we play Kenton Valley, all good.

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    I all well know that the pressure I put on myself is a big cause. If I could get my mind right I wouldn't have the mental issues in my life.Practicing would probably help. Working 12 to 14 hour days doesn't. Saturdays now taken up with food shopping, cleaning, laundry etc... Sunday's get some work on the house.That is if I am not at work weekends too.As said before, I am all enthused to get out there, chat, walk, see new places. Soon as I stand over the ball, everything goes south.As you guys have seen, It may also come down to distance and panic. When we play Kenton Valley, all good.
    Alcohol fixes allBefore during after

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Alcohol fixes allBefore during after
    Wazza doesn't drink

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    I all well know that the pressure I put on myself is a big cause. If I could get my mind right I wouldn't have the mental issues in my life.
    Practicing would probably help. Working 12 to 14 hour days doesn't. Saturdays now taken up with food shopping, cleaning, laundry etc... Sunday's get some work on the house.
    That is if I am not at work weekends too.
    As said before, I am all enthused to get out there, chat, walk, see new places. Soon as I stand over the ball, everything goes south.

As you guys have seen, It may also come down to distance and panic. When we play Kenton Valley, all good.
    I think the bit I've highlighted in bold has a bit to do with it.
    It's very easy to get caught in the trap of trying to keep up (distance wise) with players in your group.
    Some how you need to get comfortable with what your own limitations are distance wise and not worry about where others are playing their next from in comparison (easy to say, often hard to do).
    This has mostly likely lead to over swinging, unnecessary movements in the swing chain and generally over thinking and over complicating the process of making a swing.
    A reasonably consistent repeatable swing must have been in there at one stage, just need to find the key to unlock the cage and let it out again.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 28th May 2020 at 03:03 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Wazza doesn't drink
    Well option B it is 😁I'm outta ideas

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Embrace the bunt.

I even got a skunk headcover, because my niggling mate's frequency of sledging with 'Pepe le bunt'.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If my iron shots are absolute tripe again tomorrow, then I will be restricting that back swing big time, and bunting everywhere. I'll take straight over far and wide.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Sounds like you’re playing swing instead of score.

Whatever gets you around, I’ve shot under par hitting 7 greens. Hit it, chase it, try and enjoy it. When you get home, no one cares but you

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

When I’m not playing well I tend to fall into the habit of concentrating on my swing instead of playing golf. I focus on what I’m not doing right, try something different, then keep changing and worry about where it’s going next. It sounds too simple, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wasted most of a round of golf before realising I wasn’t playing golf at all. I’d come home a bit shitty about how things went and envy blokes I know that have never picked up a golf club. My wife even started saying “Don’t try to smash it, and smile” when I was walking out the door to play golf.

I know you don’t have time to practice, but analysing your swing and trying different things is what you do when you practice. When you play a round of golf, don’t complicate it, don’t worry about it, and don’t try to analyse your swing - just look at where you want the ball to go and play golf. It’s amazing how quickly things can improve.

Works for me.

Cheers Timbo.
    2 years ago I was playing to 6. Now can barely scrape around in up of 20.

Just watching a review on the swingless golf club. Want one

Thread Information