Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Having an eagle 2 on the Par 4 12th at Dongara was pretty cool, even without that Dongara would rate as a very good country track.
    Dongara is a very tidy 18 hole fully irrigated grass greens course set on the rolling back hills of the small town. The course was in fantastic condition, I believe they have a fulltime greenie and lots of volunteer help.
    Dongara is not a long layout, has no bunkers but makes up for it with the rolling countryside, small greens and tight hitting areas and the narrow tree lined fairways - could get a bit dangerous with balls flying in from other fairways as well!
    The first hole is pretty straight forward but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th could destroy the round early. The 2nd is a tight Par 5 that hits to a green well above the fairway. When you reach the 3rd tee all you can see is half the flag for a Par 3 at 180m shooting through a small ridge. The next hole tees off from the highest part on the course (great 360 views) to a fairway way below the tee area, trees and bush to clear off the tee. Several of the other holes hit into side sloping fairways and a few with blind shots into the greens. Bit of a hidden gem for a small town.

Par 71
    5531m
    Slope 118
    Scratch 70
    Green Fee $30

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 2nd March 2023 at 10:44 PM.

Last round on grass greens for awhile at Kalbarri. Its a good layout with excellant greens.
    The course is suffering from some faults with the irrigation system and the lack of rain in recent times, so some fairways were very patchy. Kangaroos galore and the odd Emu around and forever stepping on kangaroo poo! Played early morning with a lack of wind which is pretty unusal for Kalbarri, but a bit warmer at this time of year.
    Its a good layout, missing fairways gets punished with sandy lies and ground carved up by the roos. Having played Kalbarri a few times, I have a better idea of where to go, but a few holes are deceptive of the tee for the line to take. A few bunkers around the greens, that are a good quality. Some great views of Kalbarri and the river from the undualting course.
    Pick of the holes would be the 7th, downhill Par 5 448m that narrows with water on both sides of the fairway 100m out from the green, the 10th a dogleg Par 4 380m that curves around for a downhill approach to the green, deceptive off the tee for the line to take and the 15th Par 4 367m downhill to a green protected by a pond front right of the green.
    Good challenging course, unfortunatly not in the greatest conditon at present.

Par 72 5762m
    Slope 113 CCR 70
    $30 Green Fees

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 3rd March 2023 at 09:30 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Kalbarri has a great membership base. I’ve played in the member’s comp a couple times and they are super welcoming. Fun little track.

Looking at Dongara, I need to play it again. It’s been ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Kalbarri has a great membership base. I’ve played in the member’s comp a couple times and they are super welcoming. Fun little track.

Looking at Dongara, I need to play it again. It’s been ages.
    yea, played in the comp awhile back. Gave me a ball in the rundown for being a visitor. lol!

Not much intersting golf of late, in Exmouth for a while that has a 18 hole sand green course with patchy grass fairways.

Spotted one of these around the course.

Also just experienced the Total Solar Eclipse on the beach in Cape Range National Park that was pretty cool.

Attached Images

Second time at Karratha, but this time the course has fully grassed greens designed by Golfer69. Overall the course was hard and fast, greens were rock hard and quite quick. Played the back nine for the first time (closed last time due to the new greens going in) and is more linksy than the front with views of the bay from most holes. The par 3 16th had a funky green, that had a big scoop front centre, that would make for some interesting putts.

Attached Images

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Second time at Karratha, but this time the course has fully grassed greens designed by Golfer69. Overall the course was hard and fast, greens were rock hard and quite quick. Played the back nine for the first time (closed last time due to the new greens going in) and is more linksy than the front with views of the bay from most holes. The par 3 16th had a funky green, that had a big scoop front centre, that would make for some interesting putts.

By shit, those greens look pure...!!!
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    By shit, those greens look pure...!!!
    Looks can be deceiving, little bit bumpy in places and rock hard, maybe still settling in...

Nothing new in the last few weeks, played courses that I had played previous, Broome, Katherine, Mystic Sands and Cairns. Broome to me is still an average course, the rough in places can be punishing but the layout dosn't excite too much. Katherine had gone doen hill since last time playing, the greens were terrible, bumpy and inconsistent. Mystic Sands had improved, the greens were the best they have been and there looks like more effort has been put into the course. Cairns was good as usual and a good challenge , greens were a bit ordinary - coming off coring? in recent times.
    First time playing the Babinda layout, 9 holes and a few different tee options for the second nine. Played early morning so after a heavy night dew and a few drizzly days it was heavy going. A creek/ditch running through several holes provides interest, espeacially off the 1st/10th tees! Greens were pretty ordinary, worm mounds a plenty and bumpy.
    Babinda GC
    Par 72
    Green Fee $20
    Slope 124 Scratch 70
    5885m

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 21st June 2023 at 03:39 PM.

Nothing new in the last few weeks, played courses that I had played previous, Broome, Katherine, Mystic Sands and Cairns. Broome to me is still an average course, the rough in places can be punishing but the layout dosn't excite too much. Katherine had gone doen hill since last time playing, the greens were terrible, bumpy and inconsistent. Mystic Sands had improved, the greens were the best they have been and there looks like more effort has been put into the course. Cairns was good as usual and a good challenge , greens were a bit ordinary - coming off coring? in recent times.
    First time playing the Babinda layout, 9 holes and a few different tee options for the second nine. Played early morning so after a heavy night dew and a few drizzly days it was heavy going. A creek/ditch running through several holes provides interest, espeacially off the 1st/10th tees! Greens were pretty ordinary, worm mounds a plenty and bumpy.
    Babinda GC
    Par 72
    Green Fee $20
    Slope 124 Scratch 70
    5885m

Nah, Cairns greens are a bit shite at the moment.

New greenkeeper and an extended and fairly heavy wet season have done no favours, but they're slowly on the way back.

Not fantastic news about Babinda greens (not that I'm even remotely surprised), we've got a 2-man Ambrose there next Friday, so fair chance I'll be the superior putter over Courty for a change, purely by accident.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Nah, Cairns greens are a bit shite at the moment.New greenkeeper and an extended and fairly heavy wet season have done no favours, but they're slowly on the way back.Not fantastic news about Babinda greens (not that I'm even remotely surprised), we've got a 2-man Ambrose there next Friday, so fair chance I'll be the superior putter over Courty for a change, purely by accident.
    Practice your putting on shag pile carpet and you'll be good to go.

Nah, Cairns greens are a bit shite at the moment.

New greenkeeper and an extended and fairly heavy wet season have done no favours, but they're slowly on the way back.

Not fantastic news about Babinda greens (not that I'm even remotely surprised), we've got a 2-man Ambrose there next Friday, so fair chance I'll be the superior putter over Courty for a change, purely by accident.
    they will probably give them a mow for the cairns royalty coming down

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    Practice your putting on shag pile carpet and you'll be good to go.
    This is Cairns, people don't have shag pile carpets here...
    they will probably give them a mow for the cairns royalty coming down
    I'm only SW Victoria royalty bud, I'm no one up here...
    GolfMap

After the rain had passed managed to get a round at Millaa Millaa GC for the first time. A country 9 hole course with alternate tees on most holes for the back nine.
    Considering the rain that had been through the course was in good condition and the volunteer staff were out mowing fairways etc. Undulating course, a downhill par 3 to start the nine and several blind shots from the tee and fairway on a few holes.
    Greens were a bit average, slow and some had alot of dieback but were coming back.
    Fairly open course, but certainly a few trees and OB to contend with if you go a bit wide.

Millaa Milla GC
    Par 69
    Scratch 66
    Slope 113
    5032m
    Green Fee $15

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

What Caravan have you got?
    I'm tossing up whether I splash the cash & start doing some touring.
    Desert Golfer

Quick trip down to the Gold Coast/Brisbane and a couple of rounds at Windaroo Lakes (was a member), a course still in great condition considering all the flooding issues it has had over the years. Windaroo is always a good challenge to navigate around the water hazards, slopes and length of the course. Greens are always top notch and present some challenging slopes if your out of position. Also a round at Mount Warren Park a course that has improved over the years, quality greens, a few water hazards and slopes. A bit shorter than Windaroo but a narrower course, requires more thought and accurracy of the tee.
    Next stop is the Sunshine Coast for a few months and had a hit at Nambour for the first time. A short hilly 18 Hole course, lots of elevation changes from tee to green. Hitting to the right spot on the fairways helps otherewise trouble awaits in water hazards, OB and many trees. Two lengthy Par 4's 4th and 5th and the reachable 7th Par 5 on the front nine would be the best holes. The 7th has lots of slope to contend with and an approach going left is likely to find the OB. Course was in good condition, fairways were quite firm giving good roll and the greens rolled ok.

Nambour GC
    Par 68
    CCR 66
    Slope 113
    4930m
    Green Fee $35 or $20 on a Tuesday

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 5th August 2023 at 06:40 PM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Just the one par five on the front nine at Namba. 7 and 11 are the two par fives.
    Greens are a bit inconsistent since they seem to have different grasses. Tough to get on them in the first place though.

MAZA with your trip around Aus, where would you recommend for a quick get away for some golf that is both easily accessible, affordable and no issues as a single or pair?

Quote Originally Posted by sheezymaneezy View Post
    MAZA with your trip around Aus, where would you recommend for a quick get away for some golf that is both easily accessible, affordable and no issues as a single or pair?
    I guess it would depend on your budget and how far you wanted to travel and the type of courses you wanted to play. My best tip would be to steer away form the large cities and avoid weekends as most courses are busy.

My picks would be: around Mandurah WA, Bundaberg Qld, Capricorn Coast Qld, around Coffs Harbour - can go either north or south.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 8th August 2023 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheezymaneezy View Post
    Coffs Harbour / Nambucca is good. Rockhampton / Capricorn. Warnambool / Port Fairy.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Anywhere far away from a city that ends with a "ne(y)" and you be fine.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

First time around Peregian GC with the $45 after 1pm deal, going around 18 easily. There seemed to be more on the driving range than the course.
    The course was in good nick, firm and dry. Some of the bunkers were a bit average and also different quality of sand throughout.
    Quite of bit water and hazards to avoid and the heavily tree lined fairways will gobble up the stray shots.
    Greens rolled well and were adecent size, and had some tricky slopes to them in places.
    The back nine has more sloping holes to deal with than the front nine and are tight on some. The course is surrounded by housing for most of the way, but it is set back and protected pretty well by the trees.
    I think the 5th had been shortened to a par 3 from originally being a par 4 due to the surrounding housing, pity as it would a good par 4. Interesting course with a good mix of holes, not overly long and easily walked, just a couple of long walks between holes.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 4th October 2023 at 08:06 PM.

Thread Information