Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Tripping Australia

After many years of planning (dreaming) my wife and I have been able to put into place the reality of travelling around Australia in our caravan.

Being an avid golfer, the chance to play as many golf courses around the country as I could was on the agenda, so I thought I would run a post of the travels and the courses played.

Our journey started recently in Feb, just before the madness of Covid 19. We managing to escape the Gold Coast and head north, not our original plan but the best option now with lock down!

Our first (only stop) was Bargara, a quite seaside town with a great golfing and recreational options. Thankfully golf courses were open and it was reasonably normal.

Onto the golf...
    First course on the trip was Bargara, a good quality course of a links type nature. Flat course with small fast and firm greens. The course gives the impression of openness but has a bite when you miss a fairway. Overall, very well looked after with good quality greens and fairways. As it was the only option for a few weeks, I played several rounds here and took up a visitor membership that saved a few bucks.
    Deals - Half price green fees on Mondays. Visitor Membership $77 per month (have to be a member of another club)

Bargara GC Blue Tees Par 72 Scratch 70 Slope 117 5699m. Greens Fees $35.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.ph...id=51216&stc=1

Whilst in the area I shot down to Coral Cove. At first this course looks something special, but after the postcard views of the second hole the course falls away. Once again a relatively flat course with a few interesting holes, the Par 6 is something different! Struck some old dragons on the back nine which made for a slow second nine.
    Deals - $35 with Cart on Wednesdays.

Coral Cove GC White Tees Par 72 Scratch 69 Slope 123 5381m. Green Fees $40 with Cart.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.ph...id=51215&stc=1

Bundaberg was next on the agenda, a good quality course, flat but tree lined with bunkers and water that can penalize. Overall the course was in excellent condition well stocked pro shop and friendly locals. When the wind gets up the course plays a lot harder with several holes into the southerly breeze.
    Deals - $15 Green Fee Mondays & Wednesdays

Bundaberg GC Blue Tees Par 71 Scratch 70 Slope 122 5741m. Green Fees $35.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.ph...id=51217&stc=1

With travel restrictions increased, a trip out to Isis (Childers) was on the agenda. A country 9 Hole course with a few different tee options on the second trip around. I arrived there to find the course closed due to some irrigation repairs, but a friendly local let me on, gave me a quick run down on the course, including the some 1500 trees on the course and the sugar cane to the left of the first hole!
    A well kept course, fairway watering and quite a few dog legs makes for a challenging course. A good fun course to play with some strong par 4's.

Isis GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 108 5556m. Green Fees $25 (Honesty Box)

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.ph...id=51214&stc=1

Another week in Bargara before heading north and hopefully a couple of others course to play before departing. Gin Gin and Innes Park.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 07:59 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Nice reviews - I would agree with all of that having played those courses quite a few times. I look forward to your Innes Park review...

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Surely this thread should be titled 'tripping Qld', as at this stage you can't go to WA, SA or back to Qld once you leave the state.

As you may know, we had a Queensland Champs partly at Bundaberg a few years ago. I don't disagree with your assessment of the courses, Coral Cove, for sure. A real missed opportunity there.

Benno_R will be seeking you out if you are still in the area, and I'm sure the Cairns guys will be waiting for you to arrive.

Keep posting.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    .......... as at this stage you can't go to WA, SA or back to Qld once you leave the state.
    You can come to South Oz Jim, you just have to self isolate for 14 days once you arrive
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Senior Member Major Winner

Feel free to get in touch if you want a game in the comp at Maryborough. Wed/Fri/Sat.
    Last edited by benno_r; 25th May 2020 at 07:44 AM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

That explains why your front lawn has gone to ruin.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I was hoping for more based on the thread title tbh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I was hoping for more based on the thread title tbh.
    I was expecting a World Cup summary.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Nice reviews - I would agree with all of that having played those courses quite a few times. I look forward to your Innes Park review...
    yes, had some differing local comments...

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    That explains why your front lawn has gone to ruin.
    its the new owners....

A trip out to Gin Gin was on the cards today, another country 9 Hole course with some alternate tee options the second time around. The course has a good layout with some good long par 4's and 3's. Unfortunately the course was in poor condition with the fairways very browned off and large cracks throughout. There seemed to be an irrigation system and a irrigation channel running alongside the 9th fairway but not in use? The greens had also been cored recently so made for some interesting chips and putts. It would nice to play when green.

Gin Gin GC Par 72 Scratch 70 Slope 108 5879m. Green Fees $17 (Honesty Box)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 07:58 PM.

Give us a heads up when you get to the Cairns area, Maza. There's a few of us up here so we can arrange a round.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

as at this stage you can't go to WA, SA or back to Qld once you leave the state..

Wrong on EVERY count.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    its the new owners....
    that explains why I havent seen your missus jogging past me while I am doing my morning sprint for a while.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

as at this stage you can't go to WA, SA or back to Qld once you leave the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Wrong on EVERY count.
    jimandr, are you Peter Fitzsimons?

MAZA68, enjoy the trip, I can't really be arsed with golf reviews if you feel so inclined chuck in a few pub/restaurant ones if they stand out
    Last edited by PerryGroves; 25th May 2020 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    jimandr, are you Peter Fitzsimons?MAZA68, enjoy the trip, I can't really be arsed with golf reviews if you feel so inclined chuck in a few pub/restaurant ones if they stand out
    I'll try, pretty limited options at the moment but can recommend the Red Chilli Thai in Bargara for takeaways

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    that explains why I havent seen your missus jogging past me while I am doing my morning sprint for a while.
    She is only walking...

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Feel free to get in touch if you want a game in the comp at Maryborough. Wed/Fri/Sat.
    Thanks Benno, I'll keep that as an option for the return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Give us a heads up when you get to the Cairns area, Maza. There's a few of us up here so we can arrange a round.
    Thanks Courty, will do

Last days in Bundy so managed another round at Bundaberg and a round at the famed Innes Park....one local told me its not really a golf course!
    Innes Park is an interesting layout First 9 holes all Par 3's ranging from 70m to 220m and the second nine a more normal layout - which differed from my GPS. Course condition was ok (not the manicured fairways of Bargara or Bundy) and different grass in the greens from front nine to back nine. Greens were very firm and reasonably quick so getting chips to stop was a challenge.
    Its good value and a fun course with some challenging holes.

Innes GC Par 62 Scratch 58 Slope 81 3717m. Green Fees $18.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:01 PM.

Sounds like it's a bit better than last time i played it... I do recall a strange raised green...
    The only other odd course i played up there was Oakwood, almost seemed to be in someone's back paddock as i recall.

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Sounds like it's a bit better than last time i played it... I do recall a strange raised green...
    The only other odd course i played up there was Oakwood, almost seemed to be in someone's back paddock as i recall.
    yea my GPS was different to the actual layout played, so maybe they have swapped some around? Oakwood is a paddock now...it closed recently I was told.

Played Gladstone GC today, the course itself was looking quite dry and needing some rain/watering. The layout of the course has changed recently with the 1st now a dogleg right short par 4 from in front of the clubhouse with the old 1st now the 3rd hole. The 9th is now a par 3 previously a par 5, making a 34/36 Par 70 layout. The two nines are quite different with the front nine having many short par 4's and quite open. The second nine having more length and tighter fairways. Overall the course is fairly flat with a creek running through parts of the course and an easy walk. Greens had recently been sliced but rolled ok, bunkers were pretty ordinary with hard packed sand. Considering it is the main course in town, I was expecting something of better quality. Had a pro shop but had very little stock to offer on the floor and the clubhouse was looking a bit rundown.

Gladstone GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 119 5413m. Green Fees $34.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.ph...id=51292&stc=1
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:02 PM.

Played Boyne Island Tannum Sands (BITS) today, the course is a 13 Hole layout playing 1-5 twice for the full 18. The course itself is fairly flat with a few dams coming into play and fairways lined by tall gums. The Greens are well bunkered and well contoured, although a bit bumpy.
    There are several dogleg holes which makes for challenging tee shots on both Par 4's and par5's. The Par 3 9th is a strong hole at 180m with water and trees looming.
    With both courses played in the region the lack of water is something that sticks out, with BITS suffering more with numerous bare patches in the fairways.

Boyne Island Tannum Sands Par 72 Scratch 69 Slope 111 5785m. Green Fees $25.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Played Gladstone GC today, the course itself was looking quite dry and needing some rain/watering. The layout of the course has changed recently with the 1st now a dogleg right short par 4 from in front of the clubhouse with the old 1st now the 3rd hole. The 9th now a par 3 previously a par 5, making a 34/36 Par 70 layout. The two nines are quite different with the front nine having many short par 4's and quite open. The second nine having more length and tighter fairways. Overall the course is fairly flat with a creek running through parts of the course and an easy walk. Greens had recently been sliced but rolled ok, bunkers were pretty ordinary with hard packed sand. Considering it is the main course in town, I was expecting something of better quality. Had a pro shop but had very little stock to offer on the floor and the clubhouse was looking a bit rundown. Green fees at $34. Good round today with a 73.https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.ph...id=51292&stc=1
    Try Calliope if you are still there, it was a better layout but suffers for water.

Thread Information