Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Last course to play in WA before heading over the border to NT is Lake Kununurra. Probably the worst time to play the course as there has been no rain since about April, so the course was very dry. In some parts the fairways were just dry grass and bare dusty dirt patches. Sand greens that actually played ok, they had very fine sand and rolled almost like a grass green. The course had a few dogleg holes and a few holes that a lagoon came into play. Another feature of the course were the number of holes that had trees in the middle of the fairways. Playing it the first time it was sometimes hard to work out were the hole actually went. Would be quite good to play it when it is a bit greener, but some holes I would doubt would actually get any grass. Couple of interesting Par 5's the 12th requires a tee shot to carry the lagoon, which also cuts in on the right of the fairway into the narrow landing area. The 15th has a large tree to carry on the driving line and then the lagoon almost surrounds the green, second shot presents decision time, to either carry the lagoon or lay up.

Lake Kununurra
    Par 72
    6017m
    Slope 114 Scratch 70
    Green Fee $20

Last edited by MAZA68; 29th July 2021 at 09:42 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

When i played Kunnunara the local rule was essentially Preferred lie as far as takes to find grass. In practice i think i always found something within 2 clublengths.

Surprising that for the amount of irrigation in the surrounding area ( quite stunning view from the sky) and the size of the town that something hasnt ever been done to water the course.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    When i played Kunnunara the local rule was essentially Preferred lie as far as takes to find grass. In practice i think i always found something within 2 clublengths.

Surprising that for the amount of irrigation in the surrounding area ( quite stunning view from the sky) and the size of the town that something hasnt ever been done to water the course.
    Considering the water sitting next to the course, it is surprising, maybe lack of funds or interest in doing it.

First game of golf in the Northern territory at the Katherine Golf Course. The course is not far from the main street of Katherine and is a nine hole layout with two sets of two blocks.
    A redesign took place on the course in 2014 by Graham Marsh, that seems to have been completed on only some holes. The redesign is evident from about 150m out on the 5th hole, along with the 6th, 8th and 9th holes, where bunkers appear on the course, mounding and completely different grass on the fairways and the greens. The rest of the course seems to be the old design, with maybe some shape changes to the greens. Essentially a flat layout, tree lined fairways on the "old" holes and a more open layout on the "new" holes. Water/Ponds feature on several holes, and cut into the greens on the 5th and 6th, more water will feature when they have some! There are subtle changes on the second set of tees, mainly distance changes and the odd change of angle of the tee.
    Fairways were good and well grassed for this time of year and the greens an okay speed but a little bumpy, seemed to having issues with the 5th as it had a few bare patches. The new fairway grass on the new holes was very spikey and coarse and the rough a very clumpy thick grass, not sure on the types, but was good to play off.
    Think there may have been a pro shop at sometime, but now everything is done through the Country Club attached to the course.

Katherine Country Club
    Par 72
    Slope 119 Scratch 71
    6023m
    Green Fee $20 18 Holes

Attached Images

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Here's a few photos from 2008 for your comparison, Maza.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I also played Katherine CC (9 hole course) on Monday this week. The few times I had played it before, it was soaked and I thought it was quite crap really. I was quite impressed by it's condition this time around. Half decent grass on the greens, but more importantly, less water sitting around, particularly the 1st and 9th. I now regret not playing a Sunday morning comp there on one of my visits here.

It looks like the club has spent some cash on the course too, with some redone gardens around and these big mounds running straight across the 4th and 5th fairways. It was a bit weird, I wish I had a picture of it. The 6th owns me too. I hate that hole.

Once again, I only have a few photos, as I think the batteries were going flat on the camera.

Approach to the par 5, 1st. On the other side of the fence from the green a lot of the locals gather in the grass, but you can hear them well before you get to the green.

Tee shot on the par 3, 2nd. You can see the flag, but not the green.

Most of the greens were like this with the bad patches. Seemingly hard, but they were soft because they must have been watered during the day. My greenside chips kept digging in.

I'll try to remember to get some batteries to get some pictures of Pussy Cat Flats. It's going to be rough for sure.

Cheers, the course was in a lot better condition than those pics. The 1st is a short dogleg par 4 so maybe more changes than I thought. I went more on the major difference between some holes, bunkers and the grass type.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Cheers, the course was in a lot better condition than those pics. The 1st is a short dogleg par 4 so maybe more changes than I thought. I went more on the major difference between some holes, bunkers and the grass type.
    I had a look at Google Maps. The par might still be there but changed, and in a different order. There used to be two holes on the other side of the driveway in, which I can see are out of action now. The newer holes and bits of fairway are pretty obvious from the overhead view.

I had a look at Google Maps. The par might still be there but changed, and in a different order. There used to be two holes on the other side of the driveway in, which I can see are out of action now. The newer holes and bits of fairway are pretty obvious from the overhead view.
    Yea no holes on the other side of the driveway now.

Onto to Darwin and a round at the Darwin Golf Course, where the course sits about 10 minutes outside of central Darwin near the airport.
    An 18 hole layout that has a bit of a links feel to it with the openness and all the humps in and around the fairways, but then it has several holes where trees line the fairways.
    The course has central part, and then a couple of fingers that go off the front and back nines of 3-4 holes, that go around the housing and then link back into the main section of the course.
    Fairway and greenside bunkers feature throughout the course and a few water hazards sneak in around a few holes as well. Bunkers had a lot of small stones, so not good on the clubs!
    Couple of Par 5's over 500m, the 14th was pretty tough back into the wind and the Par 5 18th is a solid finisher, with bunkers sitting around the 200-230m mark and bunkers to clear into the green as well.
    Greens were rolling well and anything hit too firm would trek past the hole a way.
    Generally not much rough to speak of at this time of year, dry and hard which can bring other issues. The fairways were the opposite and had seen plenty of water in recent times and were quite soft in patches.
    Good solid track in good condition and good value.

Darwin GC
    Par 72
    Slope 129 Scratch 71
    6073m
    Green Fee $30

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 8th August 2021 at 06:11 PM.

FYI they removed 1000 odd mahogany trees from the course couple years ago, as they had become so big were falling over.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Great to see the Derby course as we have a friend that has moved up there recently and he’s played it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Great to see the Derby course as we have a friend that has moved up there recently and he’s played it a few times.
    For work?

I see that you've played Palmerston now. Will you get to Humpty Doo or Jabiru?

I was about to say not to pass over both of those. Its a crime not to visit Humpty Doo, just for the sake of been able to say you been there, and Jabiru is actually a decent track.

I see that you've played Palmerston now. Will you get to Humpty Doo or Jabiru?
    Not this time round, unfortunately. Would have stayed longer in Darwin, but other commitments need us to move on.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 10th August 2021 at 06:54 PM.

What.... its not as if 300 odd km detour is much in the scale of a 10000km drive.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Gotta do some work, so had to shorten our time in Darwin, but will be back.

Next round in Darwin was at the Palmerston Golf Course - Home of the NT PGA Championship.
    Palmerston is a course of two nines separated by an 800m or so walk between the nines, the first nine across the road and the second nine (older part of the course) in front of the clubhouse.
    With the PGA Champs coming up the course was looking very tidy and the greens were quite slick.
    The nine across the road presents the better holes for me, with water in play on several holes, thick tree lines and some good bunkering. The short par 4's are a feature throughout the course and the two par 5's on the front nine I thought were good holes. The 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th holes on the back nine have tight driving lines but I think the last few holes let the course down.
    If I were to pick a course, I would rate the Darwin course over Palmerston.

Palmerston GC
    Par 71
    Scratch 71 Slope 123
    Green fee $32

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 10th August 2021 at 08:25 PM.

which holes are in the photos Wazza - I am not recognising them ( i never saw the new 9)

BTW did you visit East Point in Darwin where the huge old gun emplacements are. An astute observer of the parklands out there can make out the former Darwin golf course by the shapes of some old tees and greens. Would have been a cracker of a site if they could have retained it.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 10th August 2021 at 11:24 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

which holes are in the photos Wazza - I am not recognising them ( i never saw the new 9)BTW did you visit East Point in Darwin where the huge old gun emplacements are. An astute observer of the parklands out there can make out the former Darwin golf course by the shapes of some old tees and greens. Would have been a cracker of a site if they could have retained it.
    1st photo is the par 3 4th 167m on the 1st nine, and 2nd is the 17th par 4 dogleg right bunker on the dogleg

which holes are in the photos Wazza - I am not recognising them ( i never saw the new 9)BTW did you visit East Point in Darwin where the huge old gun emplacements are. An astute observer of the parklands out there can make out the former Darwin golf course by the shapes of some old tees and greens. Would have been a cracker of a site if they could have retained it.
    Yea, went to East Point, didnt recognize a golf course tho.

Back into Queensland, with our first stop at Mount Isa.
    Mount Isa has a full 18 Hole course, grass greens and irrigated fairways, although they were patchy in places and red dirt for the first 100m or so off the tee.
    The greens were pretty good, a bit bouncy on the chipping and putts generally held their line.
    The course has a couple of long par 3's 190m+ with one being the second hole at 219m and OB down the left-hand side. A good mix of par 5's, all of a good length and a couple of decent length par 4's. A few short Par 4's provide a good mix of holes that can offer a few birdie opportunities.
    The course has a few water hazards and a creek that runs through the course, however at this time of year the water part is missing. No bunkers on the course but going off the fairways makes up for the no bunkers.
    Good challenging course, with opportunities to score well if you keep on the green stuff and away from the tree lines.

Mount Isa GC
    Par 72
    Scratch 69 Slope 110
    5828m
    Green Fee $30

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 13th August 2021 at 09:17 PM.

That looks a lot better then the last time I was there. There was virtually no grass on any of the fairways back then.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    That looks a lot better then the last time I was there. There was virtually no grass on any of the fairways back then.
    Bloke I spoke to said they had sorted out the water system in the last few years, using recycled water.

The "local" course for a few weeks is Karumba, a nine hole sand green course, set alongside the main road into Karumba. The course is pretty rough, with hardly a blade of grass at this time of year and the local wallaby population taking care of anything that grows. They do have some fairway watering but it hardly makes a dent in the dry ground. The course is flat and reasonably open, but there are a few trees to catch the wayward shot and also a few to clear off the tee. In most part the course is short, no Par 4's over 300m, one par five and the rest par 3's, make up the par of 68.

Karumba GC
    Par 68
    Scratch 62 Slope 96
    4612m
    Green Fee - I put in $5 no sign to say what it is.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 22nd October 2021 at 09:13 PM.

Thread Information