Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Wind direction would influence the design possibly.
    It's due to whether the course (or part of it) is routed clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Barny Dunes - Front nine clockwise
    Belmont - Back nine clockwise
    Long Reef - Back nine clockwise
    Mona Vale - Last three clockwise

Port Fairy - Back nine anti-clockwise
    Lost Farm - Both nines anti-clockwise (except for last 3)
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Shelly Beach Par 71 Scratch 70 Slope 118 5848m
    Green Fee $40

Shelly Beach Golf Course is located on the Central Coast between Newcastle and Sydney. The course has great views out over the ocean and the local beaches. A couple of holes are played alongside the sand dunes and have nice views of the coast.
    The condition of the course was very good, considering the light sand dusting of the greens and some aerating on some fairways. Whilst the course had some interesting holes, the layout was a bit hard to like with the constant back and forth across the road that runs through the course.
    The course starts on the clubhouse side of the course with the first six holes (probably the best holes), then you skip across the road to play two holes. The back and forth across the road continues until the last three holes are played on the clubhouse side of the course. The six holes across the road are five Par 4's and a Par 5, which are either up hill or down hill holes, so all a bit similar.
    A couple of good risk/reward holes in the 6th and 16th, where a good straight drive will have a short pitch into the green. However a stray tee shot can find water, bunkers or deep rough.
    Being oceanside, the wind is a factor on the course but more so on the clubhouse side of the course, which is more open with less trees than the six holes across the road.

Overall the course was in great condition and the wind makes it a challenge, but I struggled with the layout as it seemed a bit disjointed.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 12th November 2020 at 07:55 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Wazza. Maybe put your itinery up in advance?
    Might get some member invites.

Nice review on Shelley beach. Havent played but got a a friend there.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Wazza. Maybe put your itinery up in advance? Might get some member invites.Nice review on Shelley beach. Havent played but got a a friend there.
    Thanks Blakey.Next stop is Shell Cove.

Links Shell Cove Par 70 Scratch 68 (Brickyard Tees) Slope 122
    Green Fee $35

First up, $35 Green Fee for a course of this quality is great value.
    Links Shell Cove is situated on the south coast, outside of Wollongong. The course is built around a nature reserve that sits around the back boundary and a housing estate at the front of the course. The housing is good in that it is back far enough to not intrude on the course.
    Links Shell Cove is very open where the wind from the ocean funnels through the valley to make the course a very good challenge.
    The course features a lot of elevation changes, lots of waste areas, water and good bunkering both fairway and greenside.
    The layout is different to most with 8 holes on the outward half and 10 holes on the inward side, having the 8th and 18th greens in front of the large clubhouse/tavern.
    The course was in good condition, fairways were good and putting surfaces were a good speed. With all the elevation changes, humps and dips around the course, club selection is certainly a test and a shot can end in a nasty spot if bouncing off the slopes.
    The outward first 8 holes feature two lots of back to back par 3's and two par 5's. The 3rd and 6th have water carries to the green, the 6th off an elevated tee and the 3rd has a large lake in front of the green. Lots of slopes to deal with on the Par 4's and 5's and some tricky tee shots into semi blind fairways and landing areas.
    The back side of the course features more length with back to back par 5's to finish off. The 18th is good opportunity to finish well, where a good drive can give a good look at the green for the second. As with the front side, the holes on the back feature lots of elevation change, slopes and some hidden putting surfaces.
    Overall the Links Shell Cove course is an excellent challenge, that will test all parts of your game. If your missing greens, the short game will need to be sharp.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 18th November 2020 at 05:55 PM.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

You obviously didn't play Shell Cove in the conditions we have played it in. I've played there 3 times with other Ozgolfers. Twice in super strong winds (from different directions) and the other time was the famous Masters Monday of 2009 (when Cabrera won), when it poured rain all morning.

You perhaps also didn't notice that almost all the bunkers are shaped the same way, allegedly because the bunker excavator misread the plans, and there wasn't enough money to change it.

I'm astonished at the Slope of 122. My memory of this course is one with lots of hazards, slopey greens and general difficulty, which I thought the slope system was supposed to consider. I consider it one of the more difficult courses I've ever played, and I need more handicap to play it, not less.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    You obviously didn't play Shell Cove in the conditions we have played it in. I've played there 3 times with other Ozgolfers. Twice in super strong winds (from different directions) and the other time was the famous Masters Monday of 2009 (when Cabrera won), when it poured rain all morning.

You perhaps also didn't notice that almost all the bunkers are shaped the same way, allegedly because the bunker excavator misread the plans, and there wasn't enough money to change it.
    I'm astonished at the Slope of 122. My memory of this course is one with lots of hazards, slopey greens and general difficulty, which I thought the slope system was supposed to consider. I consider it one of the more difficult courses I've ever played, and I need more handicap to play it, not less.
    There was a stiff wind coming from the south, so playing about a club and a bit longer. Its not a long course by measurement, but the holes play longer due to the elevation changes. Agree with the low slope, I was surprised that it was 122 and Scratch of 68, that's what GA spit out.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 19th November 2020 at 05:19 PM.

Liking the look of Shell Cove a lot in those pics.
    Keep em coming MAZA68. Loving the journey.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Liking the look of Shell Cove a lot in those pics.
    Keep em coming MAZA68. Loving the journey.
    Its an interesting layout and would certainly play it again. Knowing more of the layout now will certainly help.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 19th November 2020 at 07:46 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Max, are you still around Wollongong area? Have you played Port Kembla? I’m a member there if you want a game.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    You obviously didn't play Shell Cove in the conditions we have played it in. I've played there 3 times with other Ozgolfers. Twice in super strong winds (from different directions) and the other time was the famous Masters Monday of 2009 (when Cabrera won), when it poured rain all morning.You perhaps also didn't notice that almost all the bunkers are shaped the same way, allegedly because the bunker excavator misread the plans, and there wasn't enough money to change it.I'm astonished at the Slope of 122. My memory of this course is one with lots of hazards, slopey greens and general difficulty, which I thought the slope system was supposed to consider. I consider it one of the more difficult courses I've ever played, and I need more handicap to play it, not less.
    The course changed back around 2015 when they sold some land so had to redesign the course.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

The Links is way shorter than it used to be. The houses between the course and the road south of the clubhouse and the driving range used to the 9th which was a cracking par 4 (driver, 2 iron kinda deal). The old 8th is now the shorter 7th but used to play up into the corner where the houses are. It is not a patch on the old track. A heap of par 3s and reachable par 5s are the reason for the 122 slope. The old one was probably too hard but now it is a tragedy.Edit - still fun but a shadow of its former self

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Max, are you still around Wollongong area? Have you played Port Kembla? I’m a member there if you want a game.
    Thanks for the offer Jono. We have moved further south down to Merry Beach, will be here for a couple of months, so will get to play a few courses around there.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 27th November 2020 at 08:33 PM.

Shoalhaven Heads GC
    Par 71 Scratch 71 Slope 127 5562m

Green Fee $30

Shoalhaven Heads is set in bushland alongside the ocean, where the bush gives the course some protection from the ocean breezes. The course has lots of rolling fairways, where the landing area and some fairway bunkers can be unsighted from the tee. The bunkers (which there are a few) are quite deep greenside and fairway.
    The greens are something else, would have to be some of the largest greens I've played, with plenty of undulation as well. The Par 5 5th hole is huge, that would be 30-40m deep. The surfaces were excellent to putt on but some were quite firm to land on.
    Its was impressive to know that several thousand hours of volunteer labour keeps the course in great condition. The course originally started out as three holes and only become a full eighteen in 2012.
    The course starts across the road from the clubhouse for the first nine set more in the bushland and the second nine set on the sea side of the course. OB and environmental areas surround the course and make for a few tight holes.
    The course has a couple of tough par 3's at 190/200m, the 8th has a shallow green with big hollows front and back and the 10th is a 199m starter for the back nine.
    The short par 4's, on the back nine 12th, 14th are reachable for big hitters, with OB and bunkers to catch the inaccurate shot. The course finishes with two par 5's, the 17th is short at 426m and gives a birdie/eagle opportunity and the eighteenth, another birdie opportunity, provided you avoid the deep fairway bunkers and master the large green.
    The really enjoyable course to play, which gets you thinking on the undulating greens.

Last edited by MAZA68; 27th November 2020 at 07:58 PM.

Moruya Golf Club
    Par 71 Scratch 71 Slope 136 5734m

Green Fee $45

Moruya golf course is situated at the south end of the town, on a flat-slightly hilly site, that has a very impressive looking clubhouse.
    The course was in excellent condition with lush fairways, and soft receptive greens. The putting surfaces were also in excellent condition, with a good mix of slope and flat surfaces. The course is reasonable tight with trees, OB or hazards running alongside a lot of the fairways.
    The back nine features a section - 13,14 and 15 that are consecutive dogleg par 4's built up on a hill side, that all have blind tee shots over the ridge.
    The Par 5 16th features a double water carry and a large lake on the front/right of the 18th green being the most prominent.
    Several dog-leg par 4's feature in the course with most not super long and for big hitters its probably possible to cut the corners on some.
    The Par 4 3rd at 382m is probably the hardest with a creek at 200m and a 230m carry to clear it. The 9th hole Par 4 370m features a huge green that doubles as the 18th green as well, with two separate flags to play for.
    The 1st hole a Par 5 at 485m, can get you off to a good start or not, OB/hazard all down the left side, with a creek to cross at 300m and trees down the right. A big bunker protects the front of the green.

Somewhat surprised at the slope rating of 136, but I guess if you are not accurate off the tee the course will gobble you up.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 1st December 2020 at 04:25 PM.

Mollymook Beachside
    Par 32 Scratch 30.5 Slope 105 1940m

Green Fee $19

Mollymook Beachside is a compact nine hole course that sits on a small headland just outside Ulladulla.
    The course is quite hilly, with most holes either playing up or down through a valley, with a water hazard sitting at the bottom of the valley. A lot of the green surfaces are unsighted from the fairways, so a bit of guess work at times.
    The course has a mix of five par 3's, one par 5 and three par 4's. The course condition was average with the greens quite good, but the rest of the course looking a little unkept.
    A couple of par 3's start the course, one uphill 146m and the other down hill 105m. The short par 4 3rd at 302m, plays down hill where the water hazard sits around the 200m mark. OB and large trees down the right side and more trees down the left side. It then plays uphill to a green sitting in the corner, with bushes at the rear and OB to the right.
    The next hole is a steep uphill par 4 at 299m, with the tee shot over the water hazard and then a steep slope up to the green .
    The par 5 5th follows at 422m, which plays downhill to a water hazard that sits around the 200m mark at the bottom of the valley. The next shot can play off a downhill lie, hitting to a fairway the climbs steeply up to the green. Then another couple of par 3's, the 7th plays down hill to a green protected by a large bunker and hazard at the rear. The 8th a par 4 at 293m, plays uphill with OB down the right side and trees lining both sides of the fairway.
    The last is a par 3 at 105m, that plays towards the beach and has a nice view of Mollymook Beach from the tee. A bunker left side and OB rear.
    The first and ninth hole have been shortened from the original layout due to safety issues as they crossed a small road.
    Overall a fun course to play, but feel the course could be cleared up and presented better.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 2nd December 2020 at 06:26 PM.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Maza, make sure you play Hilltop. I was there a few weeks ago. Such an i interesting layout and block of land. Hilliest I've played I'd say. Greens were in great knick too.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamonds View Post
    Maza, make sure you play Hilltop. I was there a few weeks ago. Such an i interesting layout and block of land. Hilliest I've played I'd say. Greens were in great knick too.
    Thanks Diamonds, in the area for a few weeks, so its on the list.

Club Catalina Batemans Bay
    Par 72 Scratch 73 Slope 130 6036m Holes 1-18 Red/White Course

Green Fee $48

Catalina is a 27 hole layout situated near the town of Batemans Bay. The course is heavily tree lined, has a few waterways/ponds running through the course and alongside some fairways. The condition of the course was very good, with nice lush fairways (Kikiyu?) and slick firm greens. Outside of the the fairways some of the areas are bit ordinary and you can end up with some ugly lies. Playing holes 1-18 (I'll get play 19-27 later on) the front nine is fairly flat and then the back nine features holes with a bit of elevation change. A few fairway bunkers to contend as well as a couple of ponds to carry, also some sneaky ponds to catch you out if your off line.
    Some highlight holes:
    5th - Par 3 167m, water to carry off the tee and a bunker front right of the green to carry as well. Large green that slopes back to front
    6th - Par 5 501m, a sweeping left to right hole. A good drive down the left middle can have a look at the green. Large green with bunkers protecting left and right.
    9th - Par 4 354m, dogleg left, where a lay up to the corner is an option. Anything to straight will find trees or water. Plays to a slightly elevated green, with a deep bunker left and steep slope right.
    12th - Par 5 438m, reachable in two for the big hitters. Water all down the left side, then plays up hill to the green that slopes right to left.
    14th - Par 3 140m, deceptive hole with a pond to carry or a bale out to the left.
    17th - Par 4 356m, plays from an elevated tee block to a landing area protected by two bunkers, water left and front plus large trees down the right side.
    18th - Par 4 313m, a tight finisher to a tree lined fairway that sweeps left to right. The second needs to carry a waterway through a window in the trees to an elevated green.

Overall a good quality course with excellent putting surfaces presented in very good condition. If your missing greens, you'll need a top short game.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 10th December 2020 at 12:42 PM.

Catalina GC Par 36 Scratch 36 Slope 128 2844m

Green Fee $30

Played the third nine at Catalina, which is a little different to the other eighteen holes. The blue nine is noticeable narrower than the other eighteen holes and well tree lined, but generally flat. Fairway bunkers and water hazards feature throughout the course, plus a big gum in the middle of one fairway! The fairways were in great nick, lush and sat the ball up.
    The greens were in top condition like the rest of the course and are a generous size, a few greenside bunkers to contend with as well.
    Some dogleg holes, with two par 5's having big turns in them. The 21st hole at 451m, has three bunkers (hidden off the tee) to catch a drive that tries to cut the corner at around the 200m mark and a pond up the right side. The 17th at 450m has a big turn, that needs a drive up the left to have a look around the corner and has trees and a hazard along the left side. The 20th has a huge gum tree in the middle of the fairway, that can block your shot into the green.
    Its was an interesting nine to play and provides quite a contrast to the other eighteen holes.

Out of the three nines I would rate the 10-18 as the most interesting to play has a better variety in the holes than the 1-9 and 19-27.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 13th December 2020 at 04:23 PM.

Another round at Moruya in the local comp. Makes a difference when you know where you going the second time round. Managed an 81 off the stick, which I was pretty happy with, considering a very average putting round. One of the locals had the biggest putter I have seen, was more like a croquet mallet. The old fella was on a 45 Handicap and had parkinson's, it was amazing how he actually hit the ball, considering the shaking in his swing.

81-10-71 :::36 Points

Another hit at what will be the "local" for the next few weeks, Mollymook Beachside. Course was in better condition than the first time I played. Appears the greenkeepers had been in action and cleaned up a few areas. Greens were nice and receptive, but you needed to give them a good nudge with the putter. Fun course with a few options off the tee on the longer holes.

Almost at the end of our visit to the South Coast, unfortunately haven't played as many course in the area as planned before we head off to Canberra. Hopefully if the weather is ok, I'll get one more hit at Moruya on Saturday.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Maza, in Canberra here are the tips.

Tuesday is open pro comp at Gungahlin Lakes. $12 entry, and you play the white course.

Thursday is an open comp at Federal, $50.

Bookings essential for both.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Thanks WB, any other course recommendations? Is Yowani GC any good?

Thread Information