Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

In order, courses are

1. Royal Canberra - downside - very expensive and hard to get on

2. Federal - has plenty of chance to play at a fair rate for a top 100 track, especially in the twilight when its also at its prettiest

3. Yowani, Gold Creek, Gungahlin, Queanbeyan - all have their own unique characteristics and are better conditioned/layout tracks. Green fees around $50 for each.

4. Murrumbidgee, Belconnen, RMC, Fairbairn - all decent enough to go for a round.

97. Capital. Just don't.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

First round of golf in the ACT and had a hit at Gungahlin Lakes. The course has a good mix of holes, built around a number of waterways and sloping land.
    The fairways were in excellent condition, with some thick rough around the fringes. The greens were recovering from recent coring, were quite sizeable, with some tricky contours. They putted ok, quite soft but a little sluggish.
    Holes 2, 4, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, all have water to cross at some point, with 16 having a forced carry across water to the green. The 13th requires a big drive to carry water or a layup and 14 has a carry off the tee over a waterway, along with the 4th.

Played off the white tees but the course has a bit more length off the blues at 6119m.

Gungahlin Lakes GC Par 72 Slope 127 (White Tees) Scratch 71 5714m

Green Fee $29

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 3rd February 2021 at 08:50 PM.

If you had messaged, I would have given you a few tips or tried to join you

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    If you had messaged, I would have given you a few tips or tried to join you
    oops, just a last minute game. Managed to play with some blokes that gave me plenty of tips, so that was good.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    First round of golf in the ACT and had a hit at Gungahlin Lakes. The course has a good mix of holes, built around a number of waterways and sloping land.
    The fairways were in excellent condition, with some thick rough around the fringes. The greens were recovering from recent coring, were quite sizeable, with some tricky contours. They putted ok, quite soft but a little sluggish.
    Holes 2, 4, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, all have water to cross at some point, with 16 having a forced carry across water to the green. The 13th requires a big drive to carry water or a layup and 14 has a carry off the tee over a waterway, along with the 4th.

Played off the white tees but the course has a bit more length off the blues at 6119m.

Gungahlin Lakes GC Par 72 Slope 127 (White Tees) Scratch 71 5714m

Green Fee $29

That's a massive difference in meters from White to Blue.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    That's a massive difference in meters from White to Blue.
    Would of preferred to play off the blues, but the guys I played with were having a social hit off the whites.
    Did notice a couple of Par 3's that stretched back to 190 odd and some Par 4's that were in the 400m range. Also the extra length would bring some more water into play as well.

It's a 3 shot plus different course off the blues.

Different carries and bunkers come into play.

I am currently booked in tomorrow arvo, but most likely have to bail out due to a workshop.

Chopperlink

WITB

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Royal Queanbeyan doesnt get a mention Benno ?

Quote Originally Posted by qbnchopper View Post
    Royal Queanbeyan doesnt get a mention Benno ?
    I had it in the third tier

Chopperlink

WITB

A Late afternoon round at Yowani CC, with the help of daylight savings managed to get around 18 holes.
    Yowani is a heavily tree lined course and has some tight fairways especially through the back nine.
    The fairways were nice and lush, with the rough thickish but not to penal. The greens were still recovering from coring, were bumpy and hard to get the pace on. The one benefit was that they were soft and stopped on a dime.
    The course is mainly flat, with only a couple of holes with some elevation - the Par 4 5th that doglegs left to an uphill green, this hole plays to all of its 370m and the following hole a downhill Par 3 at 175m,
    Water features on a few holes 7th, 11th, 16th and 17th and will catch out the stray tee shoot. The Par 4 11th curves around a large lake from left to right all the way up to the green. Also the Par 3 16th at 156m has water all up the right side, and will be tricky with wind about. It also one a the few greens with a bit of slope.
    Some tight tough holes on the back nine, 13th Dogleg Par 4 399m - requires a decent drive to have a look at the green, the 14th at 375m is a tight hole where it feels like your hitting down a tunnel and the 15th a Par 5 has a tight landing area off the tee unless you can carry the bunkers at around 220m, trees line the fairway on both sides.
    Bunkers protect a lot of the greens, and there are only a few fairway bunkers. I assuming with covid the bunkers are not being looked after, as they were pretty horrible.
    Yowani is a decent track and will test your game off the tee and into the green. I found the layout ok but enjoyed playing Gungahlin Lakes more.

Yowani Country Club
    Par 72 6150m Scratch 73 Slope 133
    Green Fee $49

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 14th February 2021 at 09:04 PM.

Yowani's high quality and fast greens have always been a key strength of the course.

Where to next?

Chopperlink

WITB

Yowani's high quality and fast greens have always been a key strength of the course.

Certainly looked as if they could be good and quick.

Where to next?
    Heading west, but not sure which way yet with the SA border closed to VIC.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Maza, was looking into this some months ago during the big lockdown as I wanted to get into SA from NSW without passing through Vic. Friend of mine grew up the NSW side of Mildura and her Dad has done the trip, involves some dirt roads but passable in a normal car. You end up in Renmark, the road goes to the south of Lake Victoria

Even if the numpty continues the lockdown, surely he will give the country areas a break.

Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

Not sure but I think it is for Greater Melbourne only. Regional should be easier.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Thanks for the info. Did look at that option PG, have decided to go north a bit and have an outback adventure through Broken Hill.

Thanks for the info. Did look at that option PG, have decided to go north a bit and have an outback adventure through Broken Hill.
    Sounds interesting. I was going to suggest a run from Canberra through the Murray, via Cooma, Talbingo, Tumut - snowy mountains scheme, Yarrangobilly, Adelong, then down to Albury and along the murray. Wineries, golf, its got everything!

Chopperlink

WITB

Sounds interesting. I was going to suggest a run from Canberra through the Murray, via Cooma, Talbingo, Tumut - snowy mountains scheme, Yarrangobilly, Adelong, then down to Albury and along the murray. Wineries, golf, its got everything!
    Have to put that one on the list for the return trip or sometime in the future.

Played the second course in Wagga Wagga, the City Course, as the Country Club were not taking visitors unless they were playing with a member - the pro shop was not interested in making much effort either.

The Wagga City course is actually outside the city, set on a sloping block of land. The course is a full 18 hole course that stretches to 6150m and well tree lined.
    The front nine starts with a lengthy downhill Par 5 @ 543m and needs three solid shots to reach the green. This is followed by an uphill Par 3 and then a downhill slight dogleg Par 4. The rest of the holes expect for the 9th are a series of downhill/uphill holes of Par 4's and a Par 5. The 9th brings you back to the clubhouse and is a testy Par 3 at 172m with a creek down the left side.

The back nine starts with a 397m downhill Par 4, has a couple of decent Par 5's the 12th @ 472m, that curves left to right - water hazard near the landing and the 17th @ 484m that curves left to right of the tee, then is all uphill to the green. The 15th is also a decent Par 4 @ 380m, that curves around a big pond and will catch a stray drive or approach. The nine finishes with another Par 3 @ 170m, that plays a lot longer as it is all uphill to the green.
    Water hazards come into play mostly on the 5th, 9th, 12th, 15th and 16th but the course has only a few bunkers.
    The greens were tricky to read, were pretty slow but quite firm, some had slope but nothing dramatic unless the greens were super quick.
    The fairways were very thick and gave up very little run. Off the fairways it was a mix of thick tufty grass patches or bare stoney ground.
    Overall an interesting course to play, the condition I would put as average (guessing lack of money) but has some testing holes and good length to make sure you are on your game.

Wagga City Course
    Par 72 6150m
    Slope 133 Scratch 72
    Green Fee $30

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th February 2021 at 08:43 PM.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I seem to remember Young was ok too - but that was 30 odd years ago maza ... maybe get some recent commentary

Quote Originally Posted by qbnchopper View Post
    I seem to remember Young was ok too - but that was 30 odd years ago maza ... maybe get some recent commentary
    Cheers, heading slightly in the other direction. Forbes, Dubbo, Cobar and Broken Hill are going to be the next options.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Cheers, heading slightly in the other direction. Forbes, Dubbo, Cobar and Broken Hill are going to be the next options.
    Lived in Cobar for a number of years ... playing golf/cricket there in summer is an experience. As is putting on sands for the first time.

Shame you couldn't get on to the Country Club.

City always struggles with money..only played there the once and no great desire to return.

Other places in the area worth a hit are Narrandera or Leeton, which have both improved out of sight the last couple.of years.

Temora was dirt last time I was that way, and Young gets really good reviews. The Bluestill Distillery has good drops too

Chopperlink

WITB

Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

Update on SA border. It is shut to regional until the lockdown is lifted.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Shame you couldn't get on to the Country Club.City always struggles with money..only played there the once and no great desire to return.Other places in the area worth a hit are Narrandera or Leeton, which have both improved out of sight the last couple.of years.Temora was dirt last time I was that way, and Young gets really good reviews. The Bluestill Distillery has good drops too
    Met the ex greenkeeper from Leeton when we were at Merry Beach, he said they had made big improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Update on SA border. It is shut to regional until the lockdown is lifted.
    Cool, may have to change our plans. My wife is keen to get to SA.

Thread Information