Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Cooroy GC Par 70 Scratch 67(white) Slope 113 5184m

Starting to head further south now with a stop-over at Noosa and was intending to play Tewantin Noosa but on booking a round the pro shop advised "greens were cored yesterday and are shit", so wasn't keen to fork out $55 to play on crap greens, so it was off to Cooroy.

Cooroy is a compact 18 hole course built on a sloping site, tree lined with a number of water hazards and lots of elevation changes throughout the course. Originally it was a nine hole course converted into an eighteen hole layout so has an unusual layout where you play 9 holes out away from the clubhouse (10th is in the middle of the course) and then the second nine works its way back to the clubhouse.
    The fairways were getting firm but played ok, the greens were in good condition but looked quicker than they were. Sped up they would present some challenging putts.
    The front nine has no Par 5's and three Par 3's and several Par 4's that are short but tight and don't always require a driver off the tee. The back nine adds a bit more length with four Par 5's but also three Par 3's. Knowing the slopes and where to hit (played with some locals) helps as a few hazards are hidden.
    Best holes around the course I thought were the 7th Par 3 at 155m uphill to a hidden green surface which has a big slope from front to back, walking off with a two putt is good achievement. A lot of the Par 4's on the front are risk reward where hitting driver to the right spot can leave an easy pitch into the green, however off line can bring some pain.
    The 11th is a Par 5 at 474m, drive to an uphill fairway, leaves a semi blind shot to a green sitting at the bottom of the hill with water front and OB back and right. Can be hit in two but again a risk reward hole.
    Three good finishing holes, 16th Par 5 449m, trees left and right with a water hazard all down the left up to and around the back of the green, again reachable but trouble if you stray.
    17th is a Par 4 at 322m, layup to 160m as a large water hazard crosses the fairway and all down the left side. And lastly the 18th a Par 5 at 454m, hitting to a wide fairway leaves an uphill second - trees right and OB left to a blind two tier green which from front to would be 20m.
    Cooroy was an interesting layout where the variety in the holes made up for the short nature of the course, some local knowledge will help if you are playing it.

Green Fee $38

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 6th October 2020 at 07:06 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Cooroy was a fun course in its day, it had lots of variations even though just 9 holes.
    17th is a Par 4 at 322m, layup to 160m as a large water hazard crosses the fairway and all down the left side.

Loved that hole. we would try and hook a driver and get on the other fairway over the hazard.

--
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Cooroy was a fun course in its day, it had lots of variations even though just 9 holes.

Loved that hole. we would try and hook a driver and get on the other fairway over the hazard.

[/COLOR]
    Yea, lots of fun holes there where smacking a driver can bring good and bad.

Another hit on the Sunshine Coast, playing in the comp at Beerwah. Started out a pretty windy day with a strong westerly, then switched around to the north-west so a fairly challenging day on a new course.
    Beerwah is a flat layout, with a few water hazards that creep in on some holes and is heavily treelined. The fairways are reasonably wide but firm so the ball can run off into the tree line. The Greens were quite good, held a shot but did have a bit a variance in speed on some greens. Greens had a bit of grain as well so tricky breaks on some and speed down hill/down grain.
    Both nines are pretty similar and wouldn't say one was harder than the other. The 1st and 10th are both dogleg Par 4's with a more accurate shot required on the 10th of the tee. The front nine has more straighter holes with the back nine having a few dogleg shorter holes. Couldn't say there were any outstanding holes but a good solid course, kept in good condition.
    Best holes I found were a couple of Par 5's the 15th at 494m with water left through to the green and a pond right near the green. Could be a two shooter but the water makes you thick twice. Big sloping green with bunkers left and the 8th at 489m a drive left middle can leave a clear shot into a raised green, but any tee shot right or left will bring tree trouble. Another large green with a bit of slope.
    There are a couple of short Par 4's, the 4th, 9th and 13th were a big hitter could drive, but a miss will bring a challenge/trouble.
    Overall Beerwah was a solid course, flat and in good condition. The doglegs bring some variety to the straighter holes and the greens are a good test.

Beerwah GC Par 72 Scratch (White) 71 Slope 125 5887m

Green Fee (includes comp) $30

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 27th September 2020 at 08:00 PM.

Second hit on the Sunshine Coast and this time took on the Maleny Golf Course. Maleny is situated in the hinterland behind the Sunshine Coast so the weather can be quite different to the coast - cooler and gets rain when the coast dosn't. Maleny is now a full 18 hole course (having previously started as a nine hole course) and is built on a hilly site with lots of elevation change. The course itself is quite open, but there are environmental areas and deep rough that will gobble your ball if you stray off line, along with OB on a few holes.
    Condition wise the course was excellent, the fairways lush and well grassed and the greens were very good, bunkers were good with most having steep faces. The course has a links feel with some of the design but situated in the hinterland.
    Right from the first hole (Par 3 136m) the elevations kicks in, downhill to a sloping green. The second is a sweeping Par 5 468m off an elevated tee block (environmental area all down the left) with the fairway tilting right to left and OB right. These sort of holes continue for much of the course so where you hit or position your tee shot will offer the options on your approaches. Its a course that needs to played a couple of times to find the lines to hit on and also with the slopes on the greens.
    So many good holes but I liked the 18th Par 4 at 368m - blind tee shot over a big hump where on the right line can leave a short iron into a narrow green, which slopes right to left and is well elevated above the fairway. Protected by deep bunkers front and back, and the clubhouse in the background. Two Par 4's the 3rd and 4th while short, have a blind tee shot, but hit on the right line can bring a birdie opportunity or lots of issues if the line is missed.
    Overall I thought the course was very good with an interesting layout and lots to make you think about your shots. The greens were very good, with lots of slope on some.

Maleny GC Par 68 Scratch 68 Slope 120 5057m

Green Fees $38

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 30th September 2020 at 05:46 PM.

Nice to see a new course pop up that isnt part of a development- which inevitably go downhill.
    looks to me like this is a low maintenance course
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

True members course. Quite a few volunteers about working around the course.Rebuilding bunkers and working on new pathways.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 2nd October 2020 at 07:04 AM.

what are you doing work for, i thought you retired.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Last edited by MAZA68; 2nd October 2020 at 07:05 AM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I thought the same thing, mtb, then realised that it was the volunteers working (missing commas).

Had the opportunity to have a free round at Royal Pines, so took that up and were fortunate enough to play the Green/Gold (PGA course). I hadn't played Royal Pines since the make over by Graham Marsh, but had walked it when the PGA was on. The course was in great condition with the exception of the greens which had been scarified in recent weeks, so the surfaces were a little slow and bouncy. The course has plenty of bunkers, greenside and fairway added to the new layout which will catch the wayward shot. Water is also present on a number of holes which again, will catch wayward drives and approaches, several fairways are sloped towards the water. A lot of the greens are raised and have lots of slopes/humps to the sides and back, which can leave some tricky up and downs with the slopes in the greens as well.
    The best holes I thought were the 9th (Green Course) Par 5 at 464m, with a bunker right side at 195m and water left, which the fairway slopes to. Second shot has bunkers to carry mid fairway and greenside. The green is quite large and has big drop offs to the water at the side and rear. The 9th (Gold Course) Par 4 399m fairway bunkers and trees right side and trees left side, second is into a raised green with big drop offs on all sides, several tiers on the green can make for a tricky putt.
    Overall a very good quality course which now requires more accuracy off the tee than the old layout which had wide open fairways. Now a number of holes have bunkers in play off the tee, along with the tree lined fairways, which makes the fairways narrower than previous. The water comes into play more around the greens where slopes can push the loose shot into the water. If played with the greens in top condition it would give a good test on your putting.
    I didn't think it was a super difficult course (played off the whites) but off the back tees with the added length would be a different case. It was still a good challenge and a course that will test all parts of your game.

Royal Pines Resort Par 72 Scratch 71 Slope 126 5870m

Green Fees $95 (I think)

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 6th October 2020 at 07:05 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Enjoying the descriptions - thanks again for sharing the journey.

Had a hit in the comp at the Burleigh Golf Course on the Gold Coast on Friday with some locals.
    The course has had its ups and downs over the years but is now running well thanks to a sell off of land adjacent to the now redesigned 10th Hole, a solid 400m Par 4.
    The Burleigh course is tucked in 2 minutes from the Gold Coast Highway in the suburb of Miami, on probably the only hilly piece of land in the area. The course has lots of slopes and elevation changes on the majority of the holes, with the back nine having a flat section of holes in the middle of the nine. Trees dominate the course with heavily treelined fairways, a few hazard areas and the odd pond, providing a good challenging course. The course was in excellent condition, with the greens running well. The greens are protected by deep bunkers on most of the holes and fairway bunkers feature on a few holes as well.
    Several good holes at Burleigh, strong Par 3's that either play to an uphill or down hill green, most protected by deep bunkers, water or drop offs if the green is missed.
    Back to back Par 5's on the back nine whilst flat, can give lots of tree trouble if you stray, with both having small tricky greens.
    Overall Burleigh is a good solid course, where if you miss fairways and greens, the tree lines and slopes will have you in recovery mode. Along with the elevation changes throughout the course it makes for quite a challenging course, very different from the resort courses that are around the Gold Coast.

Burleigh GC Par 71 Scratch 71 Slope 120 5935m

Green Fee $45 - Comp Fee - $15

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 10th October 2020 at 05:31 PM.

Maza, i have enjoyed following your tour. Brought back memories from moons ago. I played Burleigh twice recently as part of local Senior Pennant comp. Agree mostly with your report. However i would have expected specific mention of #3. That must be the worst hole in Australia? Par 4 with no fairway?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Gilson View Post
    Maza, i have enjoyed following your tour. Brought back memories from moons ago. I played Burleigh twice recently as part of local Senior Pennant comp. Agree mostly with your report. However i would have expected specific mention of #3. That must be the worst hole in Australia? Par 4 with no fairway?!?
    Interesting hole that one, couple of low markers in front of us drove the hole. Smacked drive up the right and kicked into the green.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 11th October 2020 at 05:18 PM.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

That fairway is tiny on 3 and everything runs hard left once it lands.
    Long and right is the place to go, there’s a little more room than it looks like on the right once you get up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Gilson View Post
    That must be the worst hole in Australia? Par 4 with no fairway?!?
    another course that became a victim of safety issues and poor original planning, but Understandable and very common from that era when courses were built in no mans land.
    We can see that they did have buffer zones on the north and east side of the course where there was already houses.

here is a screen shot of Burleigh in 1969, compared to now. the stupid hole is the one bottom left corner.
    Attached Images
    --
    Handy-Cap

Interesting photos Mark! Thank you. The people that built the house about 150 up on right of #3 must have originally thought they were in paradise with a golf course view. Then the balls started raining down on them! World's biggest net protects them now. Mark's pictures show how small a space they cram 3 & 4 into. Also, how much better the course would have been if they were happy with a 16 hole track (go straight from 2 green to 5 tee!). Not that 4 is so bad but the rest of the course is pretty sporty.

BTW. # 3 at Burleigh has a twin (12???) at Concorde...not even Tom Doak could fix that in his reno.

Last round in Queensland before venturing across the border to New South Wales. Wanted to play my home course (Windaroo Lakes) but in the days I had to play it was full up with a trainee pro tournament, so instead went and played Boomerang Farm (another of my old courses) on the Gold Coast.
    Boomerang Farm is far removed from the glitz of the Gold Coast with a rustic old clubhouse and a tricky 9 hole layout, which back (quite) awhile you could come out and learn to through a boomerang. Nowadays it has become a wedding venue, golf course and also has a very good mountain bike track.
    Boomerang is a 9 hole course with separate tees for the second nine, which change the length and angle of attack for all the holes. The course is very tight, with OB, hazards and thick bush lining a lot of the fairways. The greens are small but in most part quite receptive and when in good nick can be quick and tricky, with some deceptive slopes. When I played they had been cored in recent weeks so were a bit slow. Miss the green and you'll need a good short game.
    Being a "country" course the fairways are pretty average, and get dry and firm. The course is not long, but you need to be accurate, as highlighted by the 9th/18th hole which would be one of the tightest Par 4's -399m/5's 405m around. Trees/OB/hazard line the narrow fairway the entire length of the hole and at the back of the green. No bunkers on the course, but the slopes and small make up for that. The course was changed recently, where they took out the first hole (Par 3 120m) and slotted in another Par 3, so now you play four Par 3's in a row, with the exception of one are all to downhill greens.
    The course has some pretty interesting holes and is not overly long, Par 5's can be reached in two, short Par 4's and Par 3's are short but the course's greens are small and tricky.
    The best holes I like are the 4th/13th Par 5 425/428m, which has a tight driving line with trees both sides of the narrow fairway, with a couple of ponds in driver range. The second can leave a shot to an uphill green tucked into the side of the hill, anything short or left will roll back down the hill and anything long right will find bush. Can be an easy birdie, but stray and 6 or 7 or more come into play.
    The 7th/16th 104m/86m and 8th/17th 128m/143m are Par3's and whilst short are surrounded by bush, Both are elevated and have a drop down to the greens. The 7th/16th is a small two tier green with a steep slope from back to front, anything above the hole will leave a slippery putt. Miss the green right or left will give a tricky chip from either an uphill slope or a down hill slope.
    The 8th/17th has OB left and at the back of the green which is well below the teeing area. Anything short will run back down the hill to leave a tricky chip. The green looks flat but has some deceptive breaks.
    Overall Boomerang is a fun course to play and you will need a couple of go's at it to learn its tricks. Its not everybody's cup of tea and most Pennant teams that come to play struggle, Boomerang's A Grade Pennant team has never been defeated on its home track!

Boomerang Farm Par 69 Scratch 65 Slope 109 4865m
    Green Fees $30

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 18th October 2020 at 07:36 PM.

First round in NSW after crossing the border on Saturday and moved south to Coffs Harbour.
    Played the Woolgoolga course that is located at Safety Beach approx. 20 mins north of Coffs Harbour. The course is a Par 72 that has an interesting layout - the front nine a Par 34 has 3x Par 3's and 1x Par 5 and the back nine a Par 38 has 3x Par 5's and 1x Par 3.
    The course condition was average with the fairways "maintained" by the groups of Kangaroos around the course I suspect. The course was in the process of having the greens cored, so some greens were sanded and some core punched. The ones that had been punched were still a good speed but obviously bounced around.
    Woolgoolga has plenty of water hazards with several fairways lined by water hazards and a number of ponds/creeks that come into play. The layout is a mix of flat, slope and some hills and tree lined for the best part. The fairways are reasonably wide but there are a few tight driving holes as well.

Highlight Holes Rundown:
    The 1st and 2nd are short Par 4's both with water hazards down the left side. 1st has a water hazard crossing the fairway at around 150m, average size green, tilting back to front. The 2nd (270m) has a tighter fairway, a good drive slight left to right will be in prime spot with a green that slopes right to left.
    The 3rd a Par 5 has an internal OB all down the left and doglegs at around 200m, the fairway slopes left to right so a stray drive will push into the tree line. Green has large bunker front and pond rear.
    The 7th a Par 3 @ 170m is a visual challenge with a water hazard short left and water hazard short right of the green, good breeze from left to right makes a strong Par 3.
    The 8th one of the toughest Par 4's at 402m needs a good drive with OB left and trees right. The Green has a hidden creek short of the green that has slope from back to front.
    The 10th a Par 5 @ 468m hits to an uphill fairway, has a blind second to a green that sits at the bottom of the hill. Plenty of run down the left side of the fairway will see you close to the green, Anything over the green at best will be bunkered if not OB is in play.
    The 11th is the shortest Par 3 on the course at 124m, but requires a water carry to a two tier green.
    The 13th and 14th are Par 5's that have ponds at 190m and 230m, good seconds will leave short shot into the greens.
    The 15th is a straight Par 4 @ 251m drivable for some but a grassy hump in front protects the green that slopes from back to front.
    The 16th and 17th and 18th are all dogleg Par 4's, but all different. 16th is 326m but has a creek at 220m to either carry or layup. A water hazard also runs down the left side of the fairway. Bunkers protect the green short front. 17th is a dogleg right to left with a hazard left side and trees all down the right. A good drive will leave a second to a raised narrow green.
    The 18th 365m is a strong Par 4 that requires a drive turning left to right to get around the dogleg. The fairway has a bit of tilt all the way to the hole from right to left. Anything pushed left will find the tree line. The second is slightly up hill to a green that if missed left or right will give a tricky chip to a green that slopes right to left.

Overall a challenging course with a good variety of holes.

Woolgoolga GC

Par 72 Scratch 71 Slope 126 5678m

Green Fees $38 (currently all day rate of $19)

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 21st October 2020 at 09:19 PM.

Next round up was in the seaside town of South West Rocks, which has a full 18 hole course along side the impressive country club.
    The course is set on rolling land behind the country club, which is heavily tree-lined. A creek runs through the middle of the course (which features on a few holes) and there a number of ponds running off the creek.
    The majority of the fairways are generous with the exception of the 6th (tight dogleg) 8th, 15th and 17th which are tight off the tee but open up once past the trees.
    The course was in very good condition, fairways were firm (needing a drink) and the greens were excellent, receptive and a good speed. There are a few bunkers and water hazards around the greens to catch the stray shot.
    Being close to the seaside a constant breeze is about with several holes playing longer with the wind funneling through the tree lines, the 9th and 18th the most exposed.

Highlight Holes:

4th - Short Par 3 @127m - Plays through a window of trees, a creek short and bunkers front. Anything too long will find a pond at the rear.
    6th - Short Par 4 @ 240m - 90 degree dogleg hole which for the big hitter possibly reachable but with high risk. OB straight left and water front left and right of the green as well as a carry over a tall stand of trees. 180m to the corner and short pitch is the best option.
    10th - Par 4 @ 340m - Has a large tree in the center of the fairway at the landing area and trees left and right. If you can funnel a shot past the large tree will leave a good shot into the green.
    12th - Par 5 @ 473m - Has a double dogleg fairway, creek running across the fairway in front of the tee block. A solid tee shot, gives the option to carry the corner on the second and shorter approach. Green has a slope from back to front.
    13th - Par 4 @ 363m - Plays back into the breeze, to a fairway that turns slightly right to left. Green is fairly flat with bunkers left and right and water right as well. Anything right of the green will be either bunkered or in the water.
    15th - Par 4 @ 365m - Tee shot shoots out through a window in the tree line to a downhill fairway that opens up in the landing area. The approach shot needs to carry a creek to a slightly raised two tier green.
    17th - Short Par 4 @ 295m - Requires an accurate tee shot through another window in the tree line, a good drive leaves a short second to a two tiered green that has a big slope from front to back.

Overall South West Rocks was a good course to play in excellent condition. Some deceptive holes with the wind and slopes making holes play longer. It is a another small town course that is impressive for its quality and challenging layout.

South West Rocks
    Par 72 Scratch 72 Slope 130 5697m - White Tees
    Green Fee: $26 - Visitor in a comp.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 25th October 2020 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    The course was changed recently, where they took out the first hole (Par 3 120m) and slotted in another Par 3, so now you play four Par 3's in a row, with the exception of one are all to downhill greens.
    didnt know that, i guess that means Golfer69's hole in ones now have an *

So they have lengthened the old 5th, made it par 5. To be honest I would have thought it would be a better hole remaining a par 4, it was a cracker.
    Where is the extra hole? i guess they squeezed one in somehere on old 6th, the long downhill par 3.
    --
    Handy-Cap

5th is the same length, has been a Par 5 as long as I was there.
    The new Par 3 tees off from the old sixth tee area up the hill (100m or so) to a blind green, then the sixth now tees off from behind this green down to the same green 150-160m. So the tee shot needs to carry the log! Pretty much stuffed the course.

Senior Member Major Winner

Enjoying the journey with you and dreaming of better days when I was single and could do something like this.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    5th is the same length, has been a Par 5 as long as I was there.
    oh. it was about a 360m par 4 before , the narrowest part of the fairway was 200m so was a tough tee shot for a fader coming out of that chute.

The new Par 3 tees off from the old sixth tee area up the hill (100m or so) to a blind green, then the sixth now tees off from behind this green down to the same green 150-160m. So the tee shot needs to carry the log! Pretty much stuffed the course.
    I hate that log, I hate it almost as much as the 7th. Hardest 80m par 4 I have ever played.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information