Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    The Half Moon Bay Golf Course is an unusual layout, can't say I have played a course where you don't need to hit a driver until the 6th Hole and then there are several holes after this where driver is not required either. Lots of blind tee shots and short Par 4's where local knowledge helps, as trouble lurks! The course was in reasonable condition, with most greens being pretty quick, protected by slopes and a few bunkers and some tricky pin placements. Plenty of water, swamps and trees protect the course, along with OB on a few holes. Maybe played a few times the course would give a better impression, but to me it was a bit of an odd layout.Half Moon Bay GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 122 5109m. Green Fee $45
    It certainly does have a few quirky holes - the 5th being the most notable. Part of 5, all of 6 and part of 7 have been built on what was once the local council tip. It's my understanding that there are also some strict environmental restrictions on the course due to its proximity to the beach and the mangroves. It is the sort of place you need to play more than once. I'm currently a member at HMB, the course does grow on you.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    It certainly does have a few quirky holes - the 5th being the most notable. Part of 5, all of 6 and part of 7 have been built on what was once the local council tip. It's my understanding that there are also some strict environmental restrictions on the course due to its proximity to the beach and the mangroves. It is the sort of place you need to play more than once. I'm currently a member at HMB, the course does grow on you.
    Yea the 5th is an interesting one, and certainly playing the course a few times would help. In saying that, the locals I played with found plenty of trouble.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 31st July 2020 at 06:15 PM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

It's the best course that I have played that has stink pipes.

Mossman GC Par 72 Scratch 71 Slope 122 Blue Tees 5879m.

The course is a fairly flat layout, raised greens, tree lined with pockets of rainforest scattered around the course. Several water hazards around the course, with creeks, ponds and a few drainage channels running throughout the course - minimal bunkers. Course was in very good condition, fairways were firm and greens receptive. The Greens themselves were quite quick and very grainy, but once adjusted to them were good to putt on.
    The course has a good mix of holes 5x Par 3's 5x Par 5's 8x Par 4's, the front nine most fairways are quite generous, with a tighter section (14, 15, 16) on the back nine. A couple of dogleg Par 4's and 5's were a risk/reward with the driver is an option.
    Overall an enjoyable course to play, with the ever present rainforest covered ranges in the background and patch's of North Queensland sugar cane.

Greens Fees $35 - but running a special @ $15 at the moment.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 6th August 2020 at 07:56 PM.

Member Trainee Pro

fairways were firm and greens receptive.
    I couldn't believe the spin I was getting around the greens at Mossman, landed a few pin high that ripped off the front. Being a member and local at Cairns that's just unheard of.

Course reminds me of the Gordonvale goat track, the first handful of holes are nice and flat, up and backs, with the back 9 a little bit more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I couldn't believe the spin I was getting around the greens at Mossman, landed a few pin high that ripped off the front. Being a member and local at Cairns that's just unheard of.

Course reminds me of the Gordonvale goat track, the first handful of holes are nice and flat, up and backs, with the back 9 a little bit more interesting.
    On condition alone I would put it well ahead of Gordanvale.

On condition alone I would put it well ahead of Gordanvale.
    The condition of Mossman surprises me given the reported financial challenges that the club has been facing in recent times. Good to hear that the course is in good condition regardless. I'll admit to having a soft spot for Gordonvale as it was where I first learned to play golf. Given its limited financial resources I think the criticism of it can sometimes be a bit over the top. Having said that, Gordonvale could learn some lessons from places like Mossman. I believe they are trying - they actually cored and sanded their greens for the first time in 8 years last year.
    Last edited by Dcanto; 7th August 2020 at 09:02 AM.

Atherton GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 113 5588m
    Green Fees $30 or $15 Mon Tue & Fri

The course is a full eighteen hole layout starting with five holes on the clubhouse side and then a walk across the ride to play 12 holes and then finish with a Par 3 in front of the clubhouse. There is has a mix of flat and sloping fairways, average size greens, limited bunkers and a few water hazards. With only a couple of Par 5's the course is not overly long and has a few shortish Par 4's, but also has a couple of Par 4's at 400m+ as well. All holes are tree lined and whilst some fairways are generous there a are few tighter holes where the trees will come into play more. The greens when played were superb, smooth and quick (would some of the best played on), with a bit of slope on some, made for some interesting putt! The course for a small town and I believe one greenkeeper is a credit to the area.
    Overall the course was interesting to play not overly difficult, with a good mix of holes and in great condition.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 11th August 2020 at 07:43 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Atherton GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 113 5588m
    Green Fees $30 or $15 Mon Tue & Fri

The course is a full eighteen hole layout starting with five holes on the clubhouse side and then a walk across the ride to play 12 holes and then finish with a Par 3 in front of the clubhouse. There is has a mix of flat and sloping fairways, average size greens, limited bunkers and a few water hazards. With only a couple of Par 5's the course is not overly long and has a few shortish Par 4's, but also has a couple of Par 4's at 400m+ as well. All holes are tree lined and whilst some fairways are generous there a are few tighter holes where the trees will come into play more. The greens when played were superb, smooth and quick (would some of the best played on), with a bit of slope on some, made for some interesting putt! The course for a small town and I believe one greenkeeper is a credit to the area.
    Overall the course was interesting to play not overly difficult, with a good mix of holes and in great condition.

Nice one. I really enjoy the Atherton layout. Brendan (greenkeeper) has done a great job up there. The greens would still be slick from their open last weekend. They're not like that all year 'round though (luckily).
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Rowes Bay GC Par 73 Scratch 72 Slope 116 6155m
    Greens Fees $32 - $22 if a member of an affiliated Golf Club.

Rowes is a linksy type course, flat with wide fairways, quite a few water hazards that come into play on several holes but not a lot of bunkers. The front nine features three par 5's (two back to back) and three Par 3's with water creeping in on only a couple of holes. The back nine features water a lot more with three water carries into greens and also fringing several fairways. A couple of tricky short Par 4's where you need to play a couple of times to work out the line as water will catch you out. Good finishing hole with bunkers on your driving line and a water hazard to carry into the green all sitting in front of the clubhouse.
    The fairways were in great condition, but outside of the fairways there were several bare areas. The greens were silky smooth and quick but held approaches well, up there with the best played. Wind plays a factor on the course being close to the sea, today was a Northly breeze, which gave a few into and some downwind holes. With the wind from the other direction the course I think would play tougher.
    Rowes also features a separate 9 hole Par 3 course, for a quick round if you so desired.
    Overall a good course to play, presented in great condition with plenty to test your game with the variety of holes.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 18th August 2020 at 07:32 PM.

Sarina GC Par 71 Scratch 70 Slope 113 5820m

First game in a few weeks due to smashing my toe on a rock, so managed to walk around in runners today.

Sarina is a 16 Hole layout with the 1st & 2nd played twice to complete the 18. The course is a hilly layout with lots of up and down (particularly the front 9) hill shots to contend with, throw in a few blind shots, it makes for an interesting layout. The fairways in most part are generous but if you stray off line there is thick tree line to contend with. I would put the greens as average in size, not heavily bunkered and were a reasonable speed. A few of the greens, mainly the back nine were a bit patchy in places. Sarina has a good mix of short and long par 4's and some testy par 5's. Best holes I found were the 5th 491m Par 5 with a tee shot into a valley, then a mostly blind second to a green tucked up in the corner, where the second shot goes will leave the options for the approach. The 13th was a strong Par 4 at 401m, OB all down the right-side playing into the wind with the green tucked in 10m or so from the OB fence.
    Overall a well looked after course, with some testing holes and interesting layout.

Green Fees $22 if a member of a golf club, otherwise I think it was $28.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 4th September 2020 at 06:35 PM.

Nice review Maza, I took benno_r for a round there in July. Greens had a disease then and I hear are just starting to come back,. Usually they are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Nice review Maza, I took benno_r for a round there in July. Greens had a disease then and I hear are just starting to come back,. Usually they are really good.
    Guys I chatted to said the greens were usually really good. Trimmed down those downhill putts would be pretty slick. Still a good course to play though.

Emerald GC Par 70 Scratch 68 Slope 113 5779m

There is only one way to describe the Emerald Golf Couse at the moment....very very dry, no decent rain for over 5 months as well as being restricted on water access from the river. The Greenkeeper I spoke to said they are shortly going to commission a new recycled water system that will improve the course no end. Apart from the Greens (that are only just keeping ok) and the tee blocks, the rest of the course is devoid of green grass, in fact grass at all. The majority of the fairways are bare dirt and in some areas hard pan, which presents its challenges - plenty of run as long as it is in the right direction. The layout is a good challenge and in better condition would present some tough holes in lengthy Par 4's and 5's. The Greens whilst looking like they need a good drink, held a shot and putted well and were reasonably quick.

The 9th and 18th Holes have the clubhouse in sight on the shots into the green and anything two long would end up in the clubhouse.
    The best holes I thought were the Par 5 6th hole at 527m a double dog leg, with a carry over the trees to reward a good second shoot, water and bush all down the right side. The Par 3 9th hole at 155m requires a carry over a valley with the green perched on the side of the hill with OB and clubhouse to the rear and right side of the green. The Par 5 13th Hole at 529m is another double bend fairway, hitting drive to a plateau, then a second over trees or turning it right to left to find the fairway - maybe even a creek in play when water is around!

Overall, apart from the overly dry conditions the course is a nice layout with lots of humps and hollows to think about where to hit your shot and some interesting holes. Obviously in better conditions the course would play very differently. The greens were good to putt on and had limited bunkers. I would say there would be some more water in play on a few holes when its around!
    Something different... had to wipe off my bag after the round as it was covered in dust!

Greens Fees $28

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 9th September 2020 at 07:41 PM.

My distant memory of Emerald is that there quite a few really good holes making use of the undulations.

One of those two par 5's you mentioned was really tough, first two shots were like threading a needle.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    My distant memory of Emerald is that there quite a few really good holes making use of the undulations.

One of those two par 5's you mentioned was really tough, first two shots were like threading a needle.
    Yea a few holes are tight in places and if you hit the wrong side of the humps you can be playing from a difficult spot.

Gracemere Lakes GC Par 72 Slope 111 Scratch 68 5603m

Green Fees $20

Gracemere Lakes is a nine hole course situated 15 minutes inland from Rockhampton. The course is a 9 hole layout with alternate tees for the second nine, which in most cases change the length and line on the second time around. Gracemere is fairly flat, with a waterway running through a number of holes and along the side a few as well. Water carries are required on a some holes but come most into play on the 8th/17th 1st/10th and 5th/14th. No bunkers on the course, fairways were pretty good but fairway placing was in play for the odd dodgy lie. Greens were all generally raised and small/medium with a bit of slope to some. The surfaces were a bit mixed bag, some had a good putting surface while others were bumpy but they did hold a shot well.
    Highlight holes would be the 8th/17th a 451/488m Par 5 where a good tee shot will present the option to take on the waterway that is 25m wide, the layup to the water is also tricky as the fairway slopes down to the water, small raised green with a deep hollow in front to carry as well. The 18th is a good finishing hole at 165m Par 3 playing into a stiff breeze, looking at a narrow green from the tee block, which slopes from left to right.
    Overall Gracemere Lakes (not sure where the lakes are) is an average nine hole country course with some tricky holes, more consistent putting surfaces would be improve it. Huge coal trains regularly cruise past the course, which makes for an interesting site.

Last edited by MAZA68; 11th September 2020 at 06:50 PM.

You going backward? Either that or you decided nothings better the other side of Emerald.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

My distant memory of Emerald is that there quite a few really good holes making use of the undulations. One of those two par 5's you mentioned was really tough, first two shots were like threading a needle.
    My home town, there are some really good holes there, if only they could get some water onto the course. Hopefully the recycled water helps, but when the dam is at 12% and has been for some time they will continue to struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    My home town, there are some really good holes there, if only they could get some water onto the course. Hopefully the recycled water helps, but when the dam is at 12% and has been for some time they will continue to struggle.
    Oh wow, that explains why the end of the boat ramp was 50m from the lake shore.

You going backward? Either that or you decided nothings better the other side of Emerald.
    Seen enough dust once we had been to Rubyvale.

Town of 1770 GC Par 68 Scratch 64 Slope 94 4719m

1770 is another 9 hole layout situated an hour north of Bundaberg. Whilst not a long course it more than makes up for that with the quality of the course. The whole course is very well looked after with the greens being top quality. The nine is made up of two 5's, four 3's, and three 4's, over a flat/hilly terrain and set amongst native bush which in most parts is very thick. The first hole is a Par 3 at 185m (generally into the wind - so a good start) tree lined to the green, which has a steep drop off to the sides and back. Other highlight holes are the 7th a Par 4 at 399m up hill and turning right to left to a deep green protected by a bunker left and the 9th/18th Par 5 at 488m with a wide open tee shot then a second to a narrowing fairway with water to clear (40-50m from the green) and water right and left. The option to carry the creek or lay up requires a precise shot and then with most of the greens, a steep drop off to the side and back. Water features on a couple of other holes along with a few green side bunkers but the main hazard would be the bush that surrounds the course. Hit into the bush and forget it, its snake country!
    Overall the course is top quality and although lacking in length it makes up for it with tight fairways and the change in elevation that add "extra" to the holes. The greens were excellent, good speed and a shot slight over hit would see the ball roll by a way.
    Well worth a stopover. Watch out for the local Kangaroo population.

Green Fee $30 (18 Holes)

Attached Images

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Town of 1770 GC Par 68 Scratch 64 Slope 94 4719m

1770 is another 9 hole layout situated an hour north of Bundaberg. Whilst not a long course it more than makes up for that with the quality of the course. The whole course is very well looked after with the greens being top quality. The nine is made up of two 5's, four 3's, and three 4's, over a flat/hilly terrain and set amongst native bush which in most parts is very thick. The first hole is a Par 3 at 185m (generally into the wind - so a good start) tree lined to the green, which has a steep drop off to the sides and back. Other highlight holes are the 7th a Par 4 at 399m up hill and turning right to left to a deep green protected by a bunker left and the 9th/18th Par 5 at 488m with a wide open tee shot then a second to a narrowing fairway with water to clear (40-50m from the green) and water right and left. The option to carry the creek or lay up requires a precise shot and then with most of the greens, a steep drop off to the side and back. Water features on a couple of other holes along with a few green side bunkers but the main hazard would be the bush that surrounds the course. Hit into the bush and forget it, its snake country!
    Overall the course is top quality and although lacking in length it makes up for it with tight fairways and the change in elevation that add "extra" to the holes. The greens were excellent, good speed and a shot slight over hit would see the ball roll by a way.
    Well worth a stopover. Watch out for the local Kangaroo population.

Green Fee $30 (18 Holes)

I love the town of 1770 but have never felt the urge to play their golf course. But I'll give it a go next time I'm there after your review.

In the bay for a few days and got in two comp rounds, one at Hervey Bay and the other with benn_r at Maryborough. Both courses are not overly long and whilst have similar ratings play quite differently.

Hervey Bay GC Par 70 Scratch 70 Slope 118 5679m

The Hervey Bay course is located at the northern end of the town on a sloping site, with well tree lined fairways and lush fairways. The great condition of the fairways is via a supply of recycled water they can tap into. Doglegs feature on a number of the Par 4's and 5's, with water coming into play on a few holes on the back nine. A number of the greens are protected by bunkers with most being raised above the fairway. However when playing, the green surfaces were very poor, bumpy and small bare sand spots which deviated chips and putts - the members said they were cored a couple of weeks ago.
    A couple of good holes on the front nine, the 4th a Par 5 458m which swings around from right to left, trees all down the left side with a raised green protected by a couple of large bunkers and the 9th a Par 4 at 378m which plays long as it is up hill , swings right to left with OB and trees left and trees right, playing into a deep green with OB at the rear. The back nine (the better nine) features a number of good holes, the 11th par 4 360m with water to catch your drive right and depending on your line, water and bunkers to carry into the green which is quite narrow. The 13th is a strong Par 5 at 523m, water coming into play down the left side as you near the green and generally playing into a breeze. The 17th and 18th are good finishers, Par 3 at 172m playing uphill into the prevailing wind and the 18th a Par 4 at 345m again playing uphill into the breeze with a semi blind second into a deep green, OB at the back.
    Overall the course is good track to play and will keep you honest and punish if you miss a fairway. The condition of the greens was disappointing but the overall condition of the course was very good.

Green Fee (in comp) $36

Maryborough GC Par 70 Scratch 70 Slope 120 5658m

Managed to catch up with benno_r for a round at Maryborough who provided lots of good advice on where to hit or not hit, along with the dangers of the local birdlife around the course.
    The course is on a sloping site which feature several holes with sharply angled fairways where hitting to the wrong side can see your drive punished. The course is well tree lined, with water in play on a number of holes - 8th, 9th, 17th and 18th, with most greens well bunkered. The Green surfaces were pretty good but with a week out from being cored were not in A1 condition. Unlike Hervey Bay the course lacks the water supply and the fairways were okay but a bit dried out. The course has a good mix of holes with some good Par 3's a few shortest Par 4's and some strong Par 4's and 5's and with the SE wind up makes them a good challenge.
    Best on the front nine was the 8th a Par 4 at 351m with a water carry to a fairway that slopes back to the water. The green from the fairway looks small with water left and bunker front to catch a poor shot. The green is deep from front to back with slope from right to left.
    The course has a tough finish with 15 to 18 all strong holes, 15 and 16 require accurate tee shots or the tilt on fairway will push the ball into the tree line. 15th Green is raised above the fairway and protected by deep bunkers at the front. 16th is a narrow green where any short shot will roll down off the green. The 17th (the wrecker) is a Par 3 at 184m, water and bunkers left, generally played into a stiff SE wind requires a solid tee shot. The 18th (the toughest) is 409m Par 4 playing up hill with a blind shot into the green. Water runs up the right side and trees down the left of the fairway. Two very solid shots will be needed to reach the green, which is quite deep and protected by bunkers on the right side, the clubhouse looms in the background.
    Overall the course features a number of good holes and has a good mix of holes. If more water could be put on the course it would be a much better layout. Certainly worth a round and if you can get benno_r as your guide/bird protector you will have a enjoyable round.

Green Fee (in comp) $26

Last edited by MAZA68; 19th September 2020 at 09:00 PM.

Thread Information