Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate with a second round at our stopover in Mission Beach, so just the one round at El Arish. El Arish is a small flat 9 hole layout with no Par 5's, situated right beside the Bruce Highway. Tree lined with well look after fairways and views to the ranges make for a pleasant course to play. The back and front nines do not have a lot of variation except for changes in distance. The course was in very good condition with excellent putting surfaces that held well, a few bunkers and a small creek on a couple of holes. The course opens up for a 90 degree dogleg par 4, that if you don't get past the corner, you are blocked out by a large tree. There is a series of par 3's mid nine and then three par 4's to finish the nine. The 3rd is a short dogleg par 4 that presents the challenge of taking on the corner or just a 180m bunt to the corner with a short wedge in. The greens were a good speed but trimmed shorter would be tricky with the slopes and swales.
    Good quality course but lacks the variety the second time around.

El Arish Par 64 Scratch 63 Slope 91 4517m. Green Fees $15 Honesty Box.

Had a quick look at Tully GC, which looked a similar layout to El Arish maybe a bit longer.

The other highlight of visiting Mission Beach is see the local Cassowary wander through the caravan park.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 21st July 2020 at 01:00 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Yeah mate, El Arish is a good little spot. Seeing a Cassowary like that is becoming exceedingly rare so kudos to that- looks like it was nice and close.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Yeah mate, El Arish is a good little spot. Seeing a Cassowary like that is becoming exceedingly rare so kudos to that- looks like it was nice and close.
    He wanders around the caravan park most days. Pops out of the bush beside us, just have to be quick to catch him.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    He wanders around the caravan park most days. Pops out of the bush beside us, just have to be quick to catch him.
    We've been camping at one of the parks at South Mission Beach a few times and there were regularly one or two wondering around. They are quick to spot any fruit left out accidentally.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    We've been camping at one of the parks at South Mission Beach a few times and there were regularly one or two wondering around. They are quick to spot any fruit left out accidentally.
    yea he was investigating a campers site that had young kids so plenty of scraps about!
    The park manager said he charges $50 per sighting, so I think I owe him about $200. Apparently the male that wanders around has a chick with him sometimes.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

There's an adult and juvenile that often show up at Etty Bay as well. They're used to people so they get pretty close.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Looking forward to the review of Royal G.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Looking forward to the review of Royal G.
    Why does everyone pick on poor old Royal G?

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Not sure where the Royal comes from but played the comp at Gordonvale today, its is an interesting place! I'd imagine there are few golf courses around that include a horse racing track in the layout. The course is made up of 9 holes inside the race track and 9 holes sitting in bushland outside the track at the far end. The first is a decent Par 4 at 400m with bunkers and a drainage channel lurking around the landing area. You then head outside the track and play seven holes set in bushland return to play Holes 9 through 14 on the inside of the track then scoot back into the bush to play two more holes and then finish with last two inside the track. The layout is generally flat with only small elevation changes, not to many bunkers with the inside track holes being open and exposed to the wind. The course condition is pretty good with well grassed fairways and the greens quite firm, although somewhat inconsistent.
    There are some tricky dogleg holes and interesting Par 3's where the tree lines can make for challenging shots.

Gordonvale GC Par 70 Scratch 60 Slope 110 5480m. Green Fees $25.

Forgot to take some pics, but the course has some great views of the "Pyramid" Mountain and ranges, along with the traditional North Queensland sugar mill stack as back drops.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 27th July 2020 at 07:05 PM.

Ingham Golf Club is a bit like that in regards to having holes in the middle of the horse track.

Yeah. Ingham has one hole where you tee off over the track, so the rails are not far in front of you, a skinny tee shot would see the ball come backwards

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Yeah. Ingham has one hole where you tee off over the track, so the rails are not far in front of you, a skinny tee shot would see the ball come backwards
    Yep, remember that hole well.

Almost driveable par 4 right?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Almost driveable par 4 right?
    The hole I remember was a par 5. I recall it was the 1st / 15th. Ingham has 15 greens but 18 different tees.

Gordonvale has more risk of getting clocked by a stray shot when you play the holes inside the track.

Ok thats not what i am thinking of. My memory is the 4th. Teed of just outside the tracks aiming inside. Or might have been a back tee on 2nd ( parallel to the 1st coming straight back to clubhouse) Whichever hole, it was the tee was down by the 1st green a veey long par 5.

It wasnt 18 then, but more than 9
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Gordonvale has more risk of getting clocked by a stray shot when you play the holes inside the track.
    Oh yeah! Take your pick playing 1, 9, 10, 11 or even 14 and 18. I’ve seen some close calls before there.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Oh yeah! Take your pick playing 1, 9, 10, 11 or even 14 and 18. I’ve seen some close calls before there.
    Absolutely.

Ok thats not what i am thinking of. My memory is the 4th. Teed of just outside the tracks aiming inside. Or might have been a back tee on 2nd ( parallel to the 1st coming straight back to clubhouse) Whichever hole, it was the tee was down by the 1st green a veey long par 5.It wasnt 18 then, but more than 9
    I remember my Aunt, who was a member, saying something about the routing being changed about 20 years ago. That possibly included one of the holes no longer having its tees outside the racetrack due to issues with the turf club.

I can imagine that it might have frightened the horses.

I turned 21 at the Ingham golf clubhouse. Got very drunk with Terry Costello (pro) his lady friend, and Norm Smith ( captain)
    --
    Handy-Cap

Not sure where the Royal comes from but played the comp at Gordonvale today, its is an interesting place! I'd imagine there are few golf courses around that include a horse racing track in the layout. The course is made up of 9 holes inside the race track and 9 holes sitting in bushland outside the track at the far end. The first is a decent Par 4 at 400m with bunkers and a drainage channel lurking around the landing area. You then head outside the track and play seven holes set in bushland return to play Holes 9 through 14 on the inside of the track then scoot back into the bush to play two more holes and then finish with last two inside the track. The layout is generally flat with only small elevation changes, not to many bunkers with the inside track holes being open and exposed to the wind. The course condition is pretty good with well grassed fairways and the greens quite firm, although somewhat inconsistent. There are some tricky dogleg holes and interesting Par 3's where the tree lines can make for challenging shots. Gordonvale GC Par 70 Scratch 60 Slope 110 5480m. Green Fees $25.Forgot to take some pics, but the course has some great views of the "Pyramid" Mountain and ranges, along with the traditional North Queensland sugar mill stack as back drops.
    Yea and Drouin also have horse track action

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Yea and Drouin also have horse track action
    Cool, there are more. Might need a new thread, golf courses with extra attractions.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Ratho in Tassie had the sheep stalls you hit over from the 10th tee and fenced off greens when I played many years ago.

Member Club Pro

I think the poster child for courses in racetracks is Musselburgh in Scotland, 6 time host of the open championship and in existence since at least 1672.

Speaking of the potential for balls to come flying back at you, this is the tee shot on a course I played last year (the 11th at Chateau de Maintenon).

The Half Moon Bay Golf Course is an unusual layout, can't say I have played a course where you don't need to hit a driver until the 6th Hole and then there are several holes after this where driver is not required either. Lots of blind tee shots and short Par 4's where local knowledge helps, as trouble lurks! The course was in reasonable condition, with most greens being pretty quick, protected by slopes and a few bunkers and some tricky pin placements. Plenty of water, swamps and trees protect the course, along with OB on a few holes.
    Maybe played a few times the course would give a better impression, but to me it was a bit of an odd layout.

Half Moon Bay GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 122 5109m. Green Fee $45

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 29th July 2020 at 08:47 PM.

Thread Information