Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Yeah. Developers Cant make that
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Some of the holes there should not be repeated anywhere.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Some of the holes there should not be repeated anywhere.
    Its a unique bit of land..

Good read mate. Planning to do a golf trip between Mackay and Townsville, so be interested to see what courses we should be playing.

x
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 7th July 2020 at 05:31 PM.

Staying in Airlie so a couple of rounds, one at Proserpine and one at the new 9 Hole Par3 - Whitsunday Greens.
    Played in the Thursday comp at Proserpine with three locals, so got a bit of inside knowledge of the course. Proserpine is a 18 hole layout, very much a flat course with tree lined fairways for the best part and a bit of sugar cane thrown in on a couple of holes. There are several ponds and creeks/drains throughout the course some hidden from the tee - 2nd. In general the fairways are pretty generous, but offer very little in the way of run. Some good long Par 4's with the 7th being the toughest playing into the prevailing wind.
    It was good to play with the locals, as when you finish the 7th, the 8th is across two fairways in the middle of the back nine! The greens were pretty ordinary, quite bumpy and slow. The locals told me due to the flooding the course gets they have trouble getting the greens consistent. A good course that plays harder then the rating it is given.

Proserpine GC Par 71 Scratch 69 Slope 113 5779m. Green Fee $35, Comp $18

Whitsunday Greens is a brand new 9 hole par 3 layout, designed by Graham Papworth and part of a over 55's village, situated just as you come into Airlie Beach on the left.
    The holes range from 45m up to 83m, where you tee off designated mats. A few ponds and bunkers to hit over along with a couple of creeks as well make the holes a visual challenge. The greens have a bit of undulation but held well and were a bit bumpy and slow to putt.
    I guess they will settle down with time, the course only opened a week ago.
    Depending on your wedge ability, only two or three clubs are needed. A fun compact par 3 course that you can take the kids (take a few balls) or have a laugh with a few mates.
    There is also a driving range in the complex where your go an unleash later on.

Whitsunday Green Par 27 571m. $10 (opening deal) there after $15

https://www.whitsundaygreen.com.au/golf/
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:23 PM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'd call that second one a Pitch n Putt course, rather than par 3. There is one of those at Corinda with 28 holes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I'd call that second one a Pitch n Putt course, rather than par 3. There is one of those at Corinda with 28 holes.
    Yea its pretty talked up, but yes a pitch n putt in reality. I did see a player hit hit a hybrid on a 45m hole and then said I was thinking about bringing my driver....

Stopover in Ayr, so had a hit Karrie's old stomping ground. For a small town Ayr boasts an 18 Hole Championship Layout, that is treelined and has 150 plus mango trees including a couple of large groves around the course.
    The course was in excellent condition with lush fairways and great putting surfaces, that were reasonably firm. With a couple of Par 5's at 500m or close to and good length Par 4's the course presents a good challenge. The are also a couple of good length Par 3's as well.
    The course is an easy walk with gentle slopes and small elevation changes.
    Overall I was pretty impressed with the course and surprised to find a course of this quality in a the area, well worth a stopover.

Ayr GC Par 71 Scratch 70 Slope 115 5861m. Green Fee $30.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:25 PM.

By passed Townsville due to school holidays and found a small "golf resort" north of Townsville Mystic Sands. It had dual benefits in that we could stay there with the caravan, play golf and the beaches were nearby, a win for all parties.
    The resort itself is very laid back, with a small club house (with restaurant), swimming pool, bowling green and golf course.
    The course at Mystic Sands is a 9 Green 18 tee layout with changes in length and angles for the second time round. The course itself works it way around a large native bush area which you are surrounded in until you return to the clubhouse area. Its an interesting layout with all greens raised and protected either by bunkers, humps and slopes to gather the errant approach. Some decent holes, the Par 3 9th at 205m is a good test, along with the 1st a short par 4 moving left to right with water right and two fairway bunkers to attract attention. The greens whilst not super quick were pretty true. They have had issues with the greens and there were a few bare patches from when they almost lost them completely.
    A fun 9 hole course, which provides a good challenge and the benefit of being able to camp or caravan on site at a reasonable cost.
    Note: no powered sites but showers and toilets are available in the clubhouse.

Mystic Sands Par 72 Scratch 70 Slope 115 5922m. Green Fee $20 9 or 18 Holes

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:31 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Inspiring thread Maza. I've played two courses in the last 18 months and the second one only once for 9 holes. I envy your golfing adventure trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Inspiring thread Maza. I've played two courses in the last 18 months and the second one only once for 9 holes. I envy your golfing adventure trail!
    Thanks Buzz. Its been an adventure in the planning for awhile, just lucky we can do it now.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Thanks Buzz. Its been an adventure in the planning for awhile, just lucky we can do it now.
    What's the next stop? Are you heading back to Townsville or are you continuing North?

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    What's the next stop? Are you heading back to Townsville or are you continuing North?
    Currently Mission Beach then onto Cairns in a week.

Enjoying reading the thread by the way - thanks for posting it

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Gunna have to do a Uturn eventually!
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Gunna have to do a Uturn eventually!
    Maybe, don't have a house to come back to....

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Currently Mission Beach then onto Cairns in a week.
    An interesting stretch of 9 hole courses between there and Gordonvale. Actually between Cardwell and Gordonvale. Ingham would have been the last 18 hole course you went past.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

An interesting stretch of 9 hole courses between there and Gordonvale. Actually between Cardwell and Gordonvale. Ingham would have been the last 18 hole course you went past.
    Yea, some interesting layouts so far in the 9 hole courses.

Is Innisfail a 9 holer too?

Didn't get the chance to play Hamilton Island or Bowen?

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Is Innisfail a 9 holer too?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by sheezymaneezy View Post
    Didn't get the chance to play Hamilton Island or Bowen?
    Would have been nice to play Hamilton Island but it was still closed when we passed through Airlie. Only had a stop over at Bowen so no time for a round the course looked quite good. Links type course right by the ocean, would be tough when the wind gets up.

Are they dedicated 9 hole courses or two sets of tees to make 18. My experience limited but I know Braidwood does that. 9 holes is just way too short for a good game of golf

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Are they dedicated 9 hole courses or two sets of tees to make 18. My experience limited but I know Braidwood does that. 9 holes is just way too short for a good game of golf
    All the ones I've played are dedicated nine hole courses due to either space or cost of up keep - ie in small towns. They all generally have two sets of tee blocks although some use the same tee block but just vary the distance for the second nine.

Thread Information