Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    Try Calliope if you are still there, it was a better layout but suffers for water.
    Thanks will try and do this one on the return journey.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Thanks will try and do this one on the return journey.
    Anything planned on the trip north?

Capricorn and Bowen highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Anything planned on the trip north?

Capricorn and Bowen highly recommended.
    Hopefully quite a few, heading to Yeppoon tomorrow.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Yeppoon and Emu Park both enjoyable courses to play.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I'm in Mackay if you want a hit

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Emu Park is interesting to play. Whether you find that enjoyable is another matter.

Member Club Pro

Hopefully quite a few, heading to Yeppoon tomorrow.
    Yeppoon, Rockhampton and Capricorn are all enjoyable. Be prepared for firm greens at Yeppoon.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Emu Park is interesting to play. Whether you find that enjoyable is another matter.
    If you like it Wazza will like it. You two are so alike your mothers couldnt tell you apart.

I said interesting, not like.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    I'm in Mackay if you want a hit
    Be in Mackay in about two weeks, whats the best to play

Mackay Golf Club is the premier 18 hole course in the region. The greens have had a few issues over the last couple of years, to the point where they are about to start to rip up 3 greens and trial tiff eagle. Rest of the course is in pretty good condition at the moment.

Sarina is a 16 hole country track, 30 mins south, quite hilly with tiny greens.

Pioneer Valley, 18 hole layout, about 30 mins West. Ok course and condition.

Black Springs is a 9 hole track with permanent preferred lie. Would be the last pic of the 4.

16 holes is a weird number. Did they start with nine then added extra over time?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    16 holes is a weird number. Did they start with nine then added extra over time?
    Yes, originally a 9 holer. Last time I played there, they were clearing more land, so it could be the final 2 holes being built.

Played in the comp at Yeppoon Golf Club, with three friendly locals. The course is lined in medium/tall gums and built on a sloping/hilly site. OB features on a few holes including an internal OB on the 9th. There are several dog-legged par 4's and a few blind tee shots, where local knowledge helps! The putting surfaces were receptive and smooth to putt but not overly quick, with good bunkering to catch errant shots. Its not an overly long course but the slopes and doglegs will test your game.
    Playing in the comp was good value at $26.
    Yeppoon GC Par 71 Scratch 68 Slope 116. 5731m Green Fees $30

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:05 PM.

Checked out Rockhampton GC today, which has been on the site since 1920 and celebrating 100 Years, which is pretty impressive for a small city. Lots of big old trees, many probably inherited from the Botanic Gardens next door. Rocky is a testing layout at over 6000m, water in play on many holes, and sure to destroy a round especially over the last three holes. Nice lush fairways, good size greens and some lengthy holes with three Par 5's over 500m. Greens today were sandy and not great to putt which was disappointing. At normal operation they would be quite slick I'd imagine. 18th is good testy Par 3 at 163m uphill with water on both sides. Played off the White Tees, but off the Blue's it would be a stern test. Well worth a visit if your in the area.
    Rockhampton GC Par 72 Scratch 71 Slope 118. 6152m Green Fees $31.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:06 PM.

Watch out for the crocodile.

Are you going to play the North rocky golf course?

I was a member there when it first opened in 1985, only 9 holes. The 2nd hole there is a cracker. The 1st would have also been a good hole as it was designed to be a par 5, but never eventuated.

Would be interesting to see how its fared after all this time.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Watch out for the crocodile.

Are you going to play the North rocky golf course?

I was a member there when it first opened in 1985, only 9 holes. The 2nd hole there is a cracker. The 1st would have also been a good hole as it was designed to be a par 5, but never eventuated.

Would be interesting to see how its fared after all this time.
    Probably not, have got Emu Park and Capricorn Resort to get in before heading north again.

Hit today at Emu Park, signs warning of Crocs but none sighted!
    Emu Park is a hilly layout with a few blind shots from the tee and also into some greens as well. It pays to have a wonder up the fairway to see where the holes go. Condition for a country layout wasn't too bad, the fairways looked due for a mow and the greens were a bit ordinary but putted ok. Not sure, but drainage seemed to be an issue with several wet/muddy spots around and there hasn't been much rain recently. Design wise its an interesting layout once you work out where to go (or not) the 17th has to be the best hole on the course with a spectacular view from the tee and a 500+m Par 5, tough last hole as well in a 400m par 4 to an elevated green.

Emu Park GC Par 72 Scratch 70 Slope 125. 5715m Green Fees $25

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:09 PM.

A bunch of us played there last year, and some of the holes were a bit crazy, but it was fun in a way.

Yea, i noticed some locals taking on the 11th down the 12th fairway for a shortcut. The 90 degree par 4 is interesting as well.

Last round on the Capricorn Coast today and saved the best to last - Capricorn Resort (International). While the resort/clubhouse has seen better days the golf course is still well maintained. A pretty windy day so choose to hit from the white tees today, that still has plenty of length at 6598m. The course is set in natural bushland, so is a pleasure to play with the peace and quite. Forget about looking for balls if you spray it wide! In saying that the fairways are pretty generous but there are a couple that you can run into water so driver is not always the option. Greens were very receptive with good putting surfaces except for the odd kangaroo foot print. Bunkers pretty average, with firm packed down sand. Water in play on quite a few holes with water to clear on Par 4's and Par 3's. Capricorn would be the best course in the region that I have played, with the course condition well above the others. Good value with cart for $40, the are currently closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays - maybe a COVID thing, not sure.

Capricorn Resort Par 72 Scratch 72 Slope 128. 6598m Green Fee $40 with Cart

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:13 PM.

Hit Mackay this week and had two rounds at contrasting courses:
    Melaleuca - 9 holes, mainly par 3's, anything goes - groups of 5 or 6, shared clubs and can play in thongs if so desired.
    Mackay - the main course here, full 18 holes and more traditional attire required.

Melaleuca is a very rough course but probably has potential if some money was put into it. A couple of short but challenging Par 4's with the rest of the holes being Par 3's all around the 130m mark. The greens were pretty rough looking but did putt okay. The area is swampy and I'd imagine would have a few drainage issues when the rain hits. Good fun course to play.
    Par 58 no rating. 2886m $23 for 9 or 18 Holes

Next up was a hit at Mackay with backintheswing in the Monday comp, nothing exciting about the golf today but a good day out. The course was in good nick, even though we struck green renos half way round. Bits gave a good rundown on the course and with the changes coming it will be a much better course in the future. Greens were well bunkered even with some being removed, and the fairways were in good condition. Greens as said were being reno'd but actual were pretty quick when we struck ones that had been sanded and rolled.
    Played off the whites, but playing off the blue tees would certainly add more challenge, especially the Par 3's.
    Thanks for the hit Ash, really enjoyable day.

Mackay Par 71 Scratch 68 Slope 123. 5777m Green fee $40

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th July 2020 at 08:15 PM.

Yea, i noticed some locals taking on the 11th down the 12th fairway for a shortcut. The 90 degree par 4 is interesting as well.
    seems nothing like the course when I played it, I think was 9 holes. now i see the course has evolved from 4 to 9 to 16 to 18 over a period of 40 years or so.
    they have a great history write up, http://www.emuparkgolfclub.com.au/05_club_history.html
    I
    ts a shame that they do not build golf clubs like this anymore.

its also interesting that like many golf courses they would hire another local pro to help with design, who of course probably knew sweet buggar all about arkychectre.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 29th June 2020 at 05:32 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

--
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    seems nothing like the course when I played it, I think was 9 holes. now i see the course has evolved from 4 to 9 to 16 to 18 over a period of 40 years or so.
    they have a great history write up, http://www.emuparkgolfclub.com.au/05_club_history.html
    I
    ts a shame that they do not build golf clubs like this anymore.

its also interesting that like many golf courses they would hire another local pro to help with design, who of course probably knew sweet buggar all about arkychectre.
    It is always interesting to read the history on these clubs and the amount of volunteer work that was done to give us the course we have today.

Thread Information