Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Nice to back on some "greens" for a round at the Copper Club in Port Hughes. Played last year and still in great nick and only ever going to be 9 holes, unless someone floats in with several million dollars.
    Played the Gold/Black combination, gives the second nine an extra 253m.
    A reasonable SW wind blowing, the first few holes it helps but then after the 4th you start heading back into it, then a relief on the 9th for a helping wind.
    Lots of slopes and swales to deal with throughout the course that can help and hinder. Greens were great (after the blacks), quick, subtle slopes and well bunkered.
    Good value at $40 Walking

CopperClub Gold/Black Tees
    Par 72
    Slope 131 Scratch 72
    6093m

Next stop Balaklava GC an hour or so north of Adelaide. The course is 3kms out of the town in the middle of the wheat fields, built on probably the only hilly outcrop for miles.
    An 18 hole course, irrigated fairways and grass greens, it has a good mix of holes that take in the changes of slopes throughout the course, a couple of short tricky dogleg par 4's and strong Par 5's.
    Greens were pretty good although a little two paced, a few subtle slopes to the greens but nothing to drastic.
    Interesting course to play, that is exposed to the breezes, that flicks around the tree lined fairways.

Balaklava GC
    Par 72
    Slope 119
    Sctarch 71
    6009m
    Green Fee $25

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 30th November 2022 at 07:23 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Balaklava's my home Course MAZA68.
    It's one of the hardest courses I've found over the years to tear to pieces when having a day on and it's only got harder now all the trees are much taller on those 2 short doglegs.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Balaklava's my home Course MAZA68.
    It's one of the hardest courses I've found over the years to tear to pieces when having a day on and it's only got harder now all the trees are much taller on those 2 short doglegs.
    I thought it was, going ask if anyboby new Hatcy but there was nobady around, had the course to myself.
    I liked the layout and some tricky holes if you get the drive in the wrong place - those two short doglegs and 18 spring to mind. That tree on the corner of 17 is a menance, caught the right rough and right behind it!

Going to try for a game whilst in Adelaide. Is Flagstaff or Mount Osmond any good?
    Last edited by MAZA68; 3rd December 2022 at 08:04 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Mount Osmond has great views over looking the City. As a course I don’t like it. Up and down hills all day on spongey kikuyu fairways makes it a hard walk. Flagstaff is is very polarising as some like it and others hate it. I haven’t played it in over 20yrs now but my personal choice is I’d play Flaggy over Mount Osmond.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 6th December 2022 at 09:12 AM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Short trip to Adelaide for the Supercars but time for a round at Flagstaff Hill GC as well.
    The course is located on the hills not far out of the city, Par 72 at 5786m of the white tees. A hilly layout, lots of up, down and side hill fairways to hit into, so provides a challenge to keep it on the fairway. A few blind shots as well, that for the first time round make it a bit tricky.
    Greens were running pretty good and soft, bunkers were a bit average, but were there to catch the wayward shots. Signature hole on the front nine would be the 7th a Par 3 across water at 126m, playing longer with the wind blowing around. A few blind tee shots on the back nine holes, 17th probaly the best, blind tee shot on a 378m Par 4 dogleg, plays a little shorter as the second shot is all downhill to the green with water on the left.
    Found Flagstaff Hill a challenging and interesting layout, in good condition.

Green Fee $44
    Slope 123
    Scratch 71
    Par 72

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 5th December 2022 at 08:02 PM.

Streaky Bay in SA has a nine hole course, irrigated fairways and grass greens, quite a surprise for this area. The course sits on a hill outside the back of the town, so a few slopes to deal with. A couple of blind shots off tees, but generally ok to work out where to go. Greens were a little slow, but ran true. The second nine tee blocks are moved around a little, mixing up the angle and distance. The most interesting hole was the 7th/16th that has split tee blocks, shares the same fairway except for the last 100m or so, with two greens.

Streaky Bay GC
    Par 72
    Slope 111 Scratch 70
    5977m
    Green Fee $20

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 16th December 2022 at 09:34 PM.

Onto WA, with Pink Lake the next course up in Esperance. Pink Lake is a links type layout, cut through the bush that separates alot of the holes from each other. Very undulating, so a solid walk. Several blind shots from several tees and fairways, make it challenging the first time round. Generally anything wide of a fairway is in snake country and not worth looking for.
    A course that needs to be played a few times to work out the lines on the dogleg holes and on the blind shots.
    The course is in reasonable condition, fairways a little patchy, but placing is available. Greens were pretty good but slowish, with some humps and hills to deal with.
    A challenging course to play with a strong ESE blowing.

Pink Lake GC
    Par 72
    Slope 119
    Scratch 71
    5961m
    Green Fee $20

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 4th February 2023 at 11:43 PM.

Esperance Golf Course is an 18 hole layout that sits around lakes and wetlands. Plenty of water to catch the offline shots and also a couple of carries across the water off the tee. The course is undulating but not a hard walk. The 9th hole is well away from the clubhouse, but the 12th is right beside it, so I'm picking it was a 12 hole course at one stage. Greens were average as they were coming back from recent coring. Course condtion was better than the Pink Lake course, but layout wise I like Pink Lake over Esperance.

Esperance GC
    Par 72
    Slope 128 Scratch 71
    5906m
    Green Fee $30

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 25th December 2022 at 07:52 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I enjoyed the Esperance track a few years back. Certainly an interesting layout.

Will have to try Pink Lake the next time
    I’m down there.

Played Bremer Bay, two quite different nines, front nine bushland and the back nine links style. Right on the coastline so wind is major factor when playing the back nine. Sand greens, no irrigation so the ground is pretty ordinary.

$20 Green Fee
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 4th February 2023 at 11:45 PM.

Albany is a solid links layout, carved out of the seaside bushland. Lots of slopes, humps and hollows to deal with!
    Top 100 course, having its 125th anniversary - oldest in WA.
    Course was in very good condition, seemed to have plenty of greens staff running around.
    Pretty generous fairways in most parts, that allows for the sideways bounces off the slopes.

Little local

Green Fee $50
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 4th February 2023 at 11:46 PM.

Denmark Country Club was a tidy course, fairly flat throughout, a couple of tricky dog-leg par 4's and some intersting par 3's. Feature of the course is no bunkers but a ring of thick fescue around the greens...stops the chunk and runs pretty quickly. Greens were under par, they had recently been airated, left to grow so were quite slow. Nice lush course so would imagine it would get heavy and play long in the winter.
    Par 72 rated 71, with 117 CCR, 5795m. Green Fee of $35.

Par 3 over the trees from 140m

Attached Images

Albany is a really nice track.

A few of us played Denmark a little while back, after it was recovering from being flooded. At one point, my nearest point of relief from casual water was about 40m into the opposite rough.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Is crazy Dave1 still playing there???

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Is crazy Dave1 still playing there???
    Ha!

I saw a rego plate last week that made me think of good ‘ol Dave.

I’ve been down there quite a few times, but never had the honour of meeting the man.

A few of us played Denmark a little while back, after it was recovering from being flooded. At one point, my nearest point of relief from casual water was about 40m into the opposite rough.
    yes, Albany was really nice, would get pretty tough in those cross winds. Didn't realize that Denmark could get flooded, although it is pretty flat for the best part, also explains all the drainage channels!

Just played Margaret River and Augusta, two contrasting courses. MR lush and green, excellant greens, Augusta burnt off and sand greens. Both interesting courses to play, MR with two different nines, the back nine has some challenging holes with the slopes and Augusta has slopes everywhere and tricky short blind holes.

Margaret River 18th Hole

Augusta 1st Hole

Hamelin Bay was spectacular....

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 21st February 2023 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    yes, Albany was really nice, would get pretty tough in those cross winds. Didn't realize that Denmark could get flooded, although it is pretty flat for the best part, also explains all the drainage channels!

Just played Margaret River and Augusta, two contrasting courses. MR lush and green, excellant greens, Augusta burnt off and sand greens. Both interesting courses to play, MR with two different nines, the back nine has some challenging holes with the slopes and Augusta has slopes everywhere and tricky short blind holes.

Margaret River 18th Hole

Augusta 1st Hole

Hamelin Bay was spectacular....

I quite enjoy Margaret River. The contrast in the 9s is great.

Haven’t had the pleasure of playing Augusta yet.

What else is on the radar?

I quite enjoy Margaret River. The contrast in the 9s is great. Haven’t had the pleasure of playing Augusta yet. What else is on the radar?
    Heading north to Exmouth, so just played Sun City, probably Jurien, Dongara and then onto Exmouth.Yea, the back nine at MR certainly tests the side hill playing ability.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 25th February 2023 at 12:17 PM.

Couple of contrasting courses played in Sun City and Jurien Bay. Sun City was in great condition - greens/fairways in excelleant order, undulating course, a few blind dog-leg par 4's and with a bit of wind (south easterly) gives the course another challenge.
    Green Fee $36
    Par 72
    5969m
    Slope 123 Scratch 71

Jurien Bay is generally flat, had a "park like" feel to it with sand/crushed ? greens that are watered, so compacted and roll pretty good. The back nine has a little slope added to the holes and a couple of dog-leg par 4's that add interest. Grass fairways that looked to be lacking water.
    Green Fee $20
    Par 72
    5961m
    Scratch 70 Slope 107

Last edited by MAZA68; 28th February 2023 at 10:01 PM.

Couple of contrasting courses played in Sun City and Jurien Bay. Sun City was in great condition - greens/fairways in excelleant order, undulating course, a few blind dog-leg par 4's and with a bit of wind (south easterly) gives the course another challenge.
    Green Fee $36
    Par 72

Jurien Bay is generally flat, had a "park like" feel to it with sand/crushed ? greens that are watered, so compacted and roll pretty good. The back nine has a little slope added to the holes and a couple of dog-leg par 4's that add interest. Grass fairways that looked to be lacking water.
    Green Fee $20
    Par 72

Sun City is one of my favourite courses in Perth.

If you are north, Ledge Point is a nice little track. Interesting how the make up 18 holes.

Lancelin is a bit rugged, but a fun track as well. They used to have 18, only had enough funding to put retic in for 9, so it’s a 9 holer now. You can still see some of the other 9, which looks great.

Sun City is one of my favourite courses in Perth.

If you are north, Ledge Point is a nice little track. Interesting how the make up 18 holes.

Lancelin is a bit rugged, but a fun track as well. They used to have 18, only had enough funding to put retic in for 9, so it’s a 9 holer now. You can still see some of the other 9, which looks great.
    Sun City would good to play again, now I have an idea of the layout. Dongara is next up, heard its a good track.

Sun City would good to play again, now I have an idea of the layout. Dongara is next up, heard its a good track.
    Dongara is fun from memory. A few funky holes. I haven’t played it in years.

Sun City was revamped about a decade ago. It used to be all parkland with no wasteland.

2,3 are new, 4 used to be a massive dogleg left but now it’s a straightway par 5, they just moved the tees.

On the back, 10,11,13,14,15 were all pretty much redone.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Heading north to Exmouth, so just played Sun City, probably Jurien, Dongara and then onto Exmouth.Yea, the back nine at MR certainly tests the side hill playing ability.
    If you can play Spalding Park (Geraldton) and Kalbarri, they are worth it.Not much grass further north.
    Why exactly do I need to answer to you?

Nullarbor Cup Record 4-0-0
    UnCivil War Record 2-0-0
    GSM Best Finish: 1st
    Vic Champs Best Finish: Tied 4th
    Number of Times beating DC: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesy View Post
    If you can play Spalding Park (Geraldton) and Kalbarri, they are worth it.Not much grass further north.
    Thanks for the tips (and JC too), not stopping at gero, but should get to have a hit at Kalbarri (same grass in greens as Spalding i believe - Saltine?) again, its a good course for what they run it with. Yes, onto the "blacks" for a few months at Exmouth, but they do have grass on the fairways!
    Last edited by MAZA68; 1st March 2023 at 10:45 PM.

Thread Information