Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

First game back on some grass (of sorts) at the Ravenshoe Country Club. The course sits about 8km west of the town on the main highway and is a nine hole layout. A couple of Par 5's, a couple of Par 3's and the rest Par 4's with a couple of short par's 4's. The course is heavily lined by gums on both sides of the fairway and some OB on a couple of holes. A small pond on the right of the 1st/10th is the only real hazard. The condition of the course was disappointing, fairways were very dry and lots of bare dirt patches. The greens were very bumpy, patchy and sandy - looks like they have had some sort of trouble with the grass?
    For $10 all day golf its good value.

Ravenshoe Millstream County Club
    Par 72
    Slope 107
    Scratch 70
    5655m

Green Fee $10 All Day Golf

Attached Images

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Keep these coming. I love these little tracks.

Took a look on Google maps to see where this one is, not too far from Millaa Millaa Falls, a place a stopped when I backpacked this country.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    First game back on some grass (of sorts) at the Ravenshoe Country Club. The course sits about 8km west of the town on the main highway and is a nine hole layout. A couple of Par 5's, a couple of Par 3's and the rest Par 4's with a couple of short par's 4's. The course is heavily lined by gums on both sides of the fairway and some OB on a couple of holes. A small pond on the right of the 1st/10th is the only real hazard. The condition of the course was disappointing, fairways were very dry and lots of bare dirt patches. The greens were very bumpy, patchy and sandy - looks like they have had some sort of trouble with the grass?
    For $10 all day golf its good value.
    I didn't realise you were back in the region... staying for a while? Maybe we can attempt to catch up for a round again.

Ravenshoe is too far west to get most of the coastal rains and the course has always struggled to keep turf coverage as a consequence.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Keep these coming. I love these little tracks.

Took a look on Google maps to see where this one is, not too far from Millaa Millaa Falls, a place a stopped when I backpacked this country.
    Millaa Millaa has a nice looking track as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    I didn't realise you were back in the region... staying for a while? Maybe we can attempt to catch up for a round again.

Ravenshoe is too far west to get most of the coastal rains and the course has always struggled to keep turf coverage as a consequence.
    Yea around Cairns/Port Douglas for three weeks. Reasonably flexible for golf days.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Millaa Millaa has a nice looking track as well.
    One of my work colleagues had a hit at Millaa Millaa recently and said it was in good condition, for a small regional track with limited resources.
    Last edited by Dcanto; 9th November 2021 at 08:39 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    One of my work colleagues had a hit at Millaa Millaa recently and said it was in good condition for a small regional track with limited resources.
    They have their open this weekend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

A few rounds in North Queensland, with games at Half Moon Bay and Mossman, that I had played on my previous visit to the area.
    HMB was in pretty good nick and aside from the few odd holes the course was ok.
    Mossman was due to hold the local, pennant finals so was in very good nick. Fairways were surprisingly firm and a bit dry and the greens rolled well. Struck a few greens later in the round that had been cut for the weekend and they were very slick.
    Onto to some new courses and played Cairns and Mirage at Port Douglas.
    Cairns was in great nick, the greens were coming back from coring a few weeks back but rolled really well although a little slow. Whilst the Cairns course is located near an industrial area and the highway, that gets forgotten about as on the course the tree lined fairways and the backdrops of the rainforest covered hills takeover.
    Cairns is a flat layout, were water and fairway bunkers will catch the offline shots and then wider out the thick bush is in play on several holes.
    The Par 3 2nd and the Par 4/5 3rd will grab your attention early on with a water to carry into the greens. The 3rd plays as either a long Par 4 or Par 5 depending on the tees played. The back nine kicks off with three short Par 4's, then gets some teeth with testing Par 4's, the 13th @ 373m and the 16th a dogleg at 368m that requires an accurate drive. The lengthy 14th Par 3 @ 195m, and a water carry on the 17th are good short holes. Cairns was an enjoyable layout to play, a good variety of holes and in great condition.

Cairns GC
    Par 71 5864m (White Tees)
    Green Fee $40
    Slope 119 Scratch 71

Next up was a round at Mirage Country Club in Port Douglas with locals (Cairns) Courty and Bushy.

Mirage CC is a resort 18 Hole course with two distinctive nines - the beach and the inland nine, that features 6x par 3's, 6x par 4's and 6x par5's.
    The course has and is currently undergoing renovations, with greens being replaced (10th is under renovation) and the course cleaned up.
    The front (beach nine) features several fairways heavily lined by rainforest and the local beach (4 Mile) running alongside a few holes as well. The greens as with most resorts courses and large, with the renovated greens having more slopes and swales to them. Deep greenside bunkers will gobble the errant shot along with he fairway bunkers.
    After the closed in nature of the front nine the back nine opens up to a wetland area, that features water hazards on several holes. The last three holes called the "crocodile trap" (yes there are Crocodiles in the lakes) brings water/hazard areas into play off the tee and into the green on the 18th.
    Considering the renovations going on, the course was in great condition and good value. The greens were tricky and we all struggled a bit to get the pace.
    Thanks to Courty and Bushy for joining me and providing guidance around the course, very enjoyable.

Mirage Country Club
    Par 71 (10th is currently a Par 4)
    5711m
    Slope 124 Scratch 71
    Green Fee $65 (including Cart and Comp Fee)

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 22nd November 2021 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks for the game Maza, hope you enjoyed the day!
    Shame we didn't see any barking flatdogs (other than the 'Croc Trap').
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

On a run of nine holes courses, with Mystic Sands, Bowen and Isis played in the last week or so as we travel south for the Christmas break. I had previously played Mystic Sands and Isis but at a different time of year. The areas have had a good drenching in recent weeks and all three courses could all be described as heavy! Bowen in fact was closed the day before that I played. From last year Mystic Sands had improved with the greens looking much better, all be it slow from the wet weather. Mystic has a great option to stay on site in your Tent/Caravan at $5 per person per night. with showers, toilets and a resort swimming pool to enjoy. Not an overly difficult course, but a couple of holes, the 1st a short dogleg Par 4 has water and bunkers to sort out the stray shots and the Par 3 9th at 215m is a challenge.

Mystic Sands GC Par 72 5922m
    Green Fee $20 9/18 Holes
    Slope 115 Scratch 70

First round at Bowen and after the recent rain the course was wet in places and the greens slow. The first few holes are a good test, 1st Par 4 @ 424m, 3rd Par 3 @ 213m and the 4th Par 4 @ 380m are challenging holes, fun part is your get to play them again. The highlight of the course would be the 9th a Par 3 @ 135m, but plays quite often into a strong breeze of the sea. Once at the green there a postcard views out over the beach and headlands. I had heard good things about the greens at Bowen but they hadn't been mowed for quite a few days so that was a bit disappointing.

Bowen GC Par 70
    Green Fee $20 9 Holes $30 18 Holes
    5733m
    Slope 114 Scratch 70

Next up was the Isis course just out of Childers, again another nine holer that had a good drenching during the days prior. Even with all the rain in the area the course was good, mainly due to the sloping site. Greens were a little slow but rolled not to bad. The softer conditions helped as from last time I remember the course being quite firm which led to balls running into the tree lines. The has a lot of dogleg holes that test your accuracy off the tee. The first is an interesting Par 3 through a couple of stands of trees 176/187m Par 3 with prevailing wind in your face.

Isis GC Par 70
    Green Fee $15 9 Holes $25 18 Holes
    5556m
    Slope 108 Scratch 69

The mix between front and back nine on all the courses is pretty good, with the majority of the holes having a distance change and a different angle from the tee blocks.
    As with most of these nine hole courses they operate with one greenkeeper and volunteers to help do the rest, so its a credit to the clubs/courses that they survive and are in the condition they are.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 5th December 2021 at 07:30 PM.

In the Brisbane/Gold Coast area for a few weeks and first up a few courses that I have played previously. Burleigh a year so ago, but Hills and Mt Warren I haven't played for several years. After the recent downpours in the area all the courses were spotted for damp areas, Hills had a few water logged bunkers, but generally the course conditions were good.
    Burleigh was having a reno on the 18th green so that was out of play, but I found the greens really slow and not up to the condition of previous visits. Burleigh has a interesting mix of holes, the front nine is undulating and quite heavily tree lined, the Par 3's are a decent length and a couple of the Par 4's - 2nd and 7th require a decent drive to be in position to have a look at the green. The 3rd is quite an odd Par 4. The back nine flattens out, has water in play on a couple of holes and again heavily tree lined. A short Par 3 replaced the 18th. The 10th @ 418m is a decent Par 4.

Burleigh GC
    Par 71 5935m
    Scratch 69 Slope 121
    Green Fee $45

I was a member at Hills a few years back so was interested to see what had changed - not much! Course was very much the same condition, with only the odd tree taken out. Bunkers were pretty much out of play as several were water logged and the greens were an okay speed but a little bumpy. Hills is a tough layout, even off the white tees and one of the few courses that your handicap goes out! Hills is filled with long holes, Par 5's over 500m, and several long Par 4's, longer in soft conditions. The course is gently undulating throughout, with a couple of steeper holes in the mix as well. The 2nd is a tough par 4 @ 390m, OB left, water at the end of the downhill fairway, with the second shot is uphill over the water. A very brave drive can find a narrow landing, but miss and its water. The 5th is another tricky Par 4 a water carry of 200m+ will find fairway but for most its a lay up and a long second into the green. The par 5's are all generally two decent shots to get close to the green, water is in play on all of them and the water carry on 18th can either make or break your round.

Hills GC
    Par 72 6127m White - Blue 6906m
    Slope 125 Scratch 73
    Green Fee $35

Mt Warren Park has certainly improved from what I could remember, although it does suffer from drainage issues the course was in great condition. The greens were very good, rolled well and pulled up. The two nines are quite different, the front undulating with a few blind tee shots and the back nine flat, both (more so the back nine) are tree lined and water in play on several holes. The course opens with two Par 5's 463m and 427m the second presents a good birdie opportunity. Water comes into play off the 4th and again on the 6th tee, the water on the 4th is 200m off the tee. Good driving and solid seconds on needed on all the Par 5's the 7th has a elevated green that demands an accurate shot into the green, the 11th is a tight hole needing a drive around the bend, too straight and water can be found. The 17th has a water carry into the green so again an accurate shot is required. Although the par 4's are not super long they demand accuracy off the tee. MWP is a challenging layout, a little long knowledge helps and has great greens.

Mount Warren Park
    Par 72 5579m
    Slope 114 Scratch 70
    Green Fee $33

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 22nd December 2021 at 06:07 PM.

Isis GC, how did the cancel culture mob miss that one ?

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    Isis GC, how did the cancel culture mob miss that one ?
    Lot more to change than just the name of a golf course...

Another round at a course I use to frequent regularly, Windaroo Lakes. Depending on which tees you play off at Windaroo Lakes the level of difficulty changes, water comes into play a lot more and the length of the holes increase significantly. The course was in great condition and although the greens were not there usual speed they were very true. As mentioned water features throughout the course, with an even spread through both nines. If you can keep you ball dry through 13 to 16 your going ok. The renowned "Snake Gully" 16th hole with water the length of the fairway and a water carry into the green presents a challenging Par 4 @ 390m off the whites. The front nine features more water holes, with holes 6 and 7 having water carries into the greens - 6th (a short Par 4 253m) and the 7th (Par 3 146m). Windaroo's a mix of slope and flat, and quite often there are some tricky lies if you get caught up in the rough. Windaroo's greens are usually in great condition, quick and have some dynamite slopes to them. Putting above the whole can be an interesting experience!

Windaroo Lakes GC
    Par 72 5717m White 6338m Black
    Slope 122/130 Scratch 70/74
    Green Fee $30 (Mid week Rate)

Attached Images

Probably the last review for the year, with a hit at the Beaudesert course that is located an easy drive from either Brisbane or the Gold Coast. Beaudesert is on an interesting site with a flat section and a hilly part to the course. A full eighteen holes, there a number of dams and water ways scattered throughout the course that come into play on a number of holes. Water sits in front of a couple and behind a few greens and a few tee shots have carries across water. The course was very lush, after the recent rains and gave the course a bit more length. Good greens that pulled up and rolled ok. Beaudesert has some decent holes that require some solid tee shots but also some thought on the risk reward opportunity. A good challenging course with a few hill climbs thrown in on both nines.

Beaudesert GC
    Par 72 5836m
    Scratch 71 Slope 120
    Green Fee $30

Attached Images

Back on the road, first stop Toowoomba. Had a hit at Eustondale GC a short, hilly nine hole course. Fun course, with driveable Par 4's. Greens a bit bumpy but quite deceptive in speed. Par 33, $20 for a round.

A short trip up the road to Kingaroy GC, which has an 18 Hole layout, Par 71. The front part of the course is generally flat with the back section bringing in water and rolling fairways to the mix. Greens were great, rolled nice and stopped, with a few having some tricky slopes. Good value at $25.

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 25th January 2022 at 08:18 PM.

Kingaroy is very enjoyable, worth the visit. I go play their Open most years.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Hills GC
    Slope 125 Scratch 73
    Green Fee $35

6906 metres would have to make it up there with the longest courses in Australia!
    Thats 7600 yards! Thats US Open tournament length! For example, the Australian GC is 6600 metres and it is long!
    Can’t imagine the locals play those tees very often!?
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Hills GC
    Slope 125 Scratch 73
    Green Fee $35

6906 metres would have to make it up there with the longest courses in Australia!
    Thats 7600 yards! Thats US Open tournament length! For example, the Australian GC is 6600 metres and it is long!
    Can’t imagine the locals play those tees very often!?
    Yep, longest course in Oz. It also has the Golf School (presumably still does?, Covid and all) where Jason Day was based as an amateur.

They have a Blue Roo Challenge once a month off the back tees.

https://youtu.be/J845KVp396g
    Last edited by Daves; 26th January 2022 at 09:49 AM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Doesn't make it a good course though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Doesn't make it a good course though.

No, a lot of pretty ordinary holes, and a few really weird ones. Plus it gets really dry without regular rain, like Kooralbyn. Kooralbyn is a way better course, but it is twice as far from Brisbane.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I played Hills at the start of last year and it's conditioning was ordinary. I can't imagine that it gets better during a drier winter.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    6906 metres would have to make it up there with the longest courses in Australia! Thats 7600 yards!
    Its dry and wide. But there is a 430m par 4 you cant hit driver, and a 410m par 4 you would have to hit 4 iron off the tee. A mate of mine who was crazy long said he played it 6i - 3W. I know at one point it was definitely the longest course in Oz, but i think some newer ones have tipped it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I played Hills at the start of last year and it's conditioning was ordinary. I can't imagine that it gets better during a drier winter.
    I played it about a month ago. It’s a different course with the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    I played it about a month ago. It’s a different course with the rain.
    It also depends on whether the Cattle have got in from next door again and trappled through.

Thread Information