Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Cheers, nothing really set in stone yet. The experience of a few sand green courses is on the agenda.
    Still a bit early in the year for a lot of them to be playable. A lot remove their pins until Winter season starts. Very few have irrigated Fairways and rely on the winter rains for anything green to grow.
    Ardrossan is the best one to play if your going to have a hit on the Black Stuff. They have good irrigated fairways and it playable all year round. I'm not 100% sure but Wallaroo and Kadina might be similar but not as good as Ardrossan. Coffin Bay is also irrigated and Playable all year round when you get down that end.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Still a bit early in the year for a lot of them to be playable. A lot remove their pins until Winter season starts. Very few have irrigated Fairways and rely on the winter rains for anything green to grow.Ardrossan is the best one to play if your going to have a hit on the Black Stuff. They have good irrigated fairways and it playable all year round. I'm not 100% sure but Wallaroo and Kadina might be similar but not as good as Ardrossan. Coffin Bay is also irrigated and Playable all year round when you get down that end.
    Found that out yesterday when I dropped in at Point Vincent, lol. Ardrossan was nice and green when we drove past.

Played three very different nine hole layouts in the last week.
    Regency Park - Par 70 5453m Slope 120 Scratch 70. Green Fee $18
    Edithburgh - Par 70 5662m Slope 105 Scratch 68. Green Fee $8
    Yorketown - Par 70 5604m Slope 110 Scratch 68. Green Fee $10

Regency Park is set in an industrial area with a highway running alongside one boundary. The course is a compact layout but I was pleasantly surprised on the quality of the course. Considering the traffic a nine layout would get the greens were in excellent condition, good speed and rolled great. Thought the 6th, 7th and 8th were solid holes but there are others up there as well.

The seaside town of Edithburgh's course is in the middle of town with scrapes "greens". Although it is not quite golf "season" in the Yorke for this course, they had mowed the fairways (unlike Port Vincent) but they were well burnt off with not a blade of green grass. Most tee blocks are synthetic grass. Couple of spectacular holes across the road that run alongside the ocean, 6th/15th and 7th/16th, which when the wind is up play pretty tough. Interesting to play scrapes for the first time, that after a few holes I sort of got the hang of.

The Yorketown course is another scapes course but has irrigated fairways and is playable all year round. The fairway condition was pretty good considering the climate. The 4th/13th is an interesting Par 5 requiring a shot across a road that runs between the course and the 16th Par 3 172m, has a shot across the road and a pond to the green, a couple of the best holes. Got a better hang of the scrapes, which are a novelty.

Last edited by MAZA68; 18th March 2021 at 06:23 PM.

Played the Copperclub at Port Hughes today. The course is a Greg Norman Design, but sadly the whole project to date has fallen down and only a nine hole layout has been built. The course is links style on low level sand dunes, wide firm carpet like fairways and a first cut of rough that would be as good as some fairways. Greens are well protected by deep bunkers, false fronts and steep sides that will give your short game an examination. The Greens are large and support a Front Nine and Back Nine Flag.
    The nines didn't appear to change to much, with only a distance difference between tee blocks. The course would be tough going when the wind gets up, as the area is very exposed.
    Its by far the best conditioned course in the area, but slightly underwhelming as it is just nine holes sitting in scrub land.
    Surprised that Norman still has his name attached to it.
    Copperclub The Dunes Par 72 Slope 135 Scratch 135 Front Nine 3173m Back Nine 2920m. Green Fee $31 (9 Holes)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 22nd March 2021 at 07:09 PM.

Trip down the Eyre Peninsular and took in the Port Lincoln Course, which is situated on the outskirts of the town - 10 minute drive.
    Port Lincoln is a hilly layout and lined by big stands of pines on the majority of the holes. There is an even amount of uphill and down hill holes and if you don't like walking I'd suggest to hire a cart!
    Not a super long course but the uphill holes tend to play longer and most have a hidden green surface for the approach shot. A few dog leg holes, where on some the corners can be taken on.
    A well grassed course with fairway watering and grass greens! The majority of the greens are one dimensional - small and round, however there were a few on the back nine that branched out and had a bit of contour to them. Greens had been cored and sanded, they putted ok and I think they would be quite slick normally.
    I found the Port Lincoln Course an interesting layout as the changes in elevation add extra interest and also had a good mix of holes.

Port Lincoln GC Par 72 Slope 117 Scratch 71 5805m
    Green Fee $25

Attached Images

Went and had a look at Elliston GC, $5 Green Fee. Course was bone dry, with some ordinary looking scapes greens.
    Resisted have a hit, but greened up it looked an ok layout.
    Found out they offer $10 a night stays in the carpark with the best views in Elliston - no power, water or toilets.

Last edited by MAZA68; 30th March 2021 at 08:24 PM.

Boredom took over on our stopover in Ceduna , so went and had a hit at the local course. Ceduna would be best be described as a barren wasteland where they decided to put a golf course. The fairways are pretty much devoid of grass, scrapes greens and very little trees. The fairways are bindii ridden and generally your lie is off a sandy/soft soil. The highlight of the course would be that it has two holes in the "Nullarbor Links" layout.
    Certainly not a course to get excited about, unless the grass decides to grow!

Ceduna GC Par 72 5738m Scratch 69 Slope 111
    Green Fee $12

Attached Images

Couple of pics of the Nullarbor links holes...

First game in the wild west and set out for a game at Maylands Peninsula Public GC in Perth.
    It was no the most exciting course to play, but was handy to where we were staying. The course sits alongside the banks of the Swan River and has views of the Perth skyline and Optus Stadium, that brings some interest to the surroundings.
    The course is heavily tree lined, but has reasonable wide fairways and is generally pretty flat. A few dogleg holes feature throughout and OB comes in on a few holes. The greens were pretty good considering the traffic it gets, with lots of social golfers about.
    With the recent rain the course was a little heavy and some green frontages soft.
    A couple of interesting holes on the back nine with the 12th, a Par 4 - dogleg right to left that has water up the left hand-side and the 14th a short Par 5 that has the Swan River running down the left hand side.
    A reasonably priced course that is easy to get onto and handy to the city.

Maylands Peninsula Public GC
    Par 71 5616m Scratch 69 Slope 111
    Green Fee $23

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 17th April 2021 at 09:01 PM.

Down to Mandurah for a game (1 hour south of Perth) and played the local course - Mandurah Country Club, that was established in the 1960's.
    The course is built on a hilly piece of land, with lots of well established trees lining the fairways and now surrounded by housing on most sides.
    Elevation changes feature throughout the course, that start from the 1st hole, a 160m downhill Par 3 and finish on the Par 5 18th, with a green well elevated above the fairway.
    Course condition was very good, with only the greens having been lightly aerated, but they still rolled well. Greens are protected by some deep bunkers, were a decent size, with not a lot a slope to them.
    The layout is challenging with the variety of uphill and downhill holes, with a few dogleg and flat holes also thrown into the mix as well. Some tight fairways will also test you off the tee.
    The course has some good practice areas and an additional one as well, when they had to shorten the first hole to a par 3 (from a par 4) when a few balls went into the houses across the road.
    Great clubhouse that sits high above the course, with views out over the ocean.

Mandurah Country Club
    Par 71 Scratch 70 Slope 124
    5798m
    Green Fee $39 ($25 if playing comp plus comp fee)

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 20th April 2021 at 06:41 PM.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

MAZA one of the quiet ones in the west - mandurah i always have found interesting ... hope you liked it ! It used to always have good greens ... and the first used to be a short par 4 ...

Quote Originally Posted by qbnchopper View Post
    MAZA one of the quiet ones in the west - mandurah i always have found interesting ... hope you liked it ! It used to always have good greens ... and the first used to be a short par 4 ...
    Was a good track, quite liked it. Greens were pretty good but had just been lightly aerated that arvo. The guy I played with said a few balls went over the fence on the first and smashed a few roof tiles, so they had to shorten it to a Par 4.

A round at one of the other local's course's, Pinjarra GC. Pinjarra is a solid 18 hole layout, good quality greens, heavily tree lined and flat for the best part. The most climbing is a few steps up to the tee blocks.
    Several water hazards and fairway bunkers that tighten up the landing areas, feature throughout the course. Also a couple of water carries on the Par 3 2nd and into the 18th if that line is taken.
    Good length in the course, as there is not a lot of run in fairways.
    Several dogleg holes and most Par 5's were double dogleg's, that were a feature of the course as well.
    I wouldn't put it has an exciting layout to play, but a course in good condition and solid holes.

Pinjarra GC
    Par 72 Slope 128 Scratch 72 5984m

Green Fee $35

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 25th April 2021 at 12:17 PM.

A 25 minute trip from Mandurah finds the Secret Harbour Golf Links - 40 minutes south of Perth.
    The course was presented in great condition, well manicured rolling fairways, plenty of bunkers and the greens were in good nick, although a little slow.
    Lots of challenge of the tee, with the ever present fairway bunkers to catch the stray shoots, along with water hazards or scrub to carry off some of the tees as well.
    Greens are protected by deep bunkers and whilst they are not overly undulating, the false fronts and slopes off the sides will certainly test your short game.
    The the course is called a links course, but I wouldn't regard it as that myself.
    Secret Harbour is set around a housing estate and although the housing is set back from the course it is still ever present and with the tunnels under the roads and big walks/rides between the holes does not give it a links feel.
    I played in calm conditions and though the course is not right on the coast, when the wind gets up it would be tough going as it is quite open.
    Certainly some interesting holes and a quality golf course, but they are certainly stretching it a bit to use the phrase - Secrets Golf "Links by the sea"

Secret Harbour Golf Links
    Par 72 Scratch 71 Slope 126 5732m
    Green Fee $45 - Walking

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 28th April 2021 at 03:21 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

what were your thoughts on the Swamp hole? the one with a perfect circle of sh*t thrown into the middle of the fairway that you cannot enter

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    what were your thoughts on the Swamp hole? the one with a perfect circle of sh*t thrown into the middle of the fairway that you cannot enter
    Certainly something different! Wouldn't know what could be found in there...
    Actually more landing area than what you think from the tee block. Not a lot of room for error around the green either.

Secrets can stay that way ...not my fav down that way, but I’m glad u saw it Maz...

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Are you talking about the mound hole? We’ve always hated that.

Secrets is a course I’ve never loved.

Has some good holes and some terrible ones.

As the crow flies, it does get pretty close to the coast, but the “Links by the sea” is a stretch

Pinny and Mandurah are both decent tracks. As QBN said, the first at Mandurah used to be a great par 4. A local complained about golf balls and eventually they shortened it. I believe the complainer moved house before the new hole was even finished.

Jason Scrivner designed the new green. It’s horrendous.

Pinny also had a hole changed due to complaints of balls entering property - by a member! The 12th is now a layup before the water or bomb it over if the wind is right.

How much longer are you in town for Maza?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Are you talking about the mound hole? We’ve always hated that.

Secrets is a course I’ve never loved.

Has some good holes and some terrible ones.
    Correct, it's the 6th hole, I attached the course 'guide' for reference. Funny that the fairway aim stake (from the tee, blind shot) suggests far left of the swamp as the best line. It's actually short right as you have a longer shot (LHS) and a big carry over 3 bunkers left while right you can play a knockdown (first bounce into the bank) and roll it on. I just don't get why you would put a swamp in the middle of a fairway and make it effectively OB (sign says 'DO NOT ENTER', how do you really know if your ball is actually in there?, what if it bounced through (its only a small area), imagine the holdups on a Sat morning comp looking for mystery balls). It looks so contrived and unplayable; almost reminds me of a mini golf course.

Down that way in WA I much prefer playing at Meadow Springs; a course I really enjoyed.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by thecollective; 4th May 2021 at 12:09 PM. Reason: now with attachment

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Correct, it's the 6th hole, I attached the course 'guide' for reference. Funny that the fairway aim stake (from the tee, blind shot) suggests far left of the swamp as the best line. It's actually short right as you have a longer shot (LHS) and a big carry over 3 bunkers left while right you can play a knockdown (first bounce into the bank) and roll it on. I just don't get why you would put a swamp in the middle of a fairway and make it effectively OB (sign says 'DO NOT ENTER', how do you really know if your ball is actually in there?, what if it bounced through (its only a small area), imagine the holdups on a Sat morning comp looking for mystery balls). It looks so contrived and unplayable; almost reminds me of a mini golf course.

Down that way in WA I much prefer playing at Meadow Springs; a course I really enjoyed.
    It’s actually a massive dirt mound. Probably 10m high or so.

When did you play it when it was a swamp?

In 2017, it had palm trees in it and waist high rough with a do not enter sign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Are you talking about the mound hole? We’ve always hated that. Secrets is a course I’ve never loved. Has some good holes and some terrible ones. As the crow flies, it does get pretty close to the coast, but the “Links by the sea” is a stretch Pinny and Mandurah are both decent tracks. As QBN said, the first at Mandurah used to be a great par 4. A local complained about golf balls and eventually they shortened it. I believe the complainer moved house before the new hole was even finished. Jason Scrivner designed the new green. It’s horrendous. Pinny also had a hole changed due to complaints of balls entering property - by a member! The 12th is now a layup before the water or bomb it over if the wind is right. How much longer are you in town for Maza?
    I heard those stories when I played there. Jason Scrivner was having a practice hit behind us when I played at Mandurah.Heading North on Thursday, if we dont get locked down again

What a gem of a course The Cut is. Hearing all the stories on the course I was keen to have a hit on it.
    The course certainly has some challenge and if you are spraying it around a good supply of golf balls will be required, as it is unforgiving - managed to only lose two balls.
    It helped that I played with a member who advised the areas to hit to.
    Pretty much all the holes are separate from each other, surrounded by bush and very walkable. The only long trek is between nines.
    The course is very undulating, built right on the coast line around steep bush clad sand hills. Wind is a big factor and will provide plenty of extra challenge.
    The front nine has a bit of housing in view, but once on the back nine you are in the bush, sand hills, with ocean views.
    By far one of the best course I've played, and would go for another round in a heartbeat.
    So many unique holes, tricky greens, and lots of visual challenge off the tee.
    Back nine is where the course comes to life, but the front nine can certainly destroy your score as well.

The Cut GC
    Par 72 6077m (Blue Tees) Scratch 73 Slope 127

Green Fee - Mid Week Deal $49.50 incl. Cart

Attached Images
    Last edited by MAZA68; 4th May 2021 at 08:42 PM.

Only 2 balls lost - you are a flusha Maza ... The Cut always seems to have a letter missing from the second word when i play it , but i have enjoyed it when it blows. Didnt enjoy it a great deal when I caddied for a bloke there in a WA PGA and we were greeted at the first tee by a 6 foot dugite - not going into the scrub for anything ! Are you continuing south Maza ? (binningup, bunbury etc?)

PS and what di you think of 17 ? (close to the dumbest designed hole ive ever played - though im no archy expert)

Thread Information