Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Mental game for the single handicappers

With the recent lessons I had, and the changes made to my swing, I have seen some improvements to my scores and approaching the single digit handicap goal of mine.

So I am hoping to find out from all the Ozgolfers here who have played single digits how you approach the game?

I am not a long hitter (Drive average around 220m while my 7i is 140m ), so I know most of the time I will need to rely on my short games to aim for a chip and a putt to get my par. Last few good rounds I had I know it could have been better if I had not missed those easy short putts, so thats something I have to work on.

The hardest part for me is the mental game now. I know I should take every shot as it comes and not worry about the last shot (good or bad), but it's kind of hard not to dwell on it after a double bogey and I keep thinking I only have 5 shots available in this 9.

so how do you guys play the game? what areas do you work on?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Have you read Bob Rotella? His books are great for the mental game.

honestly I never really read a golf book fully; just my dad's old jack nicklaus instruction book when I was a kid

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Have you read Bob Rotella? His books are great for the mental game.
    These are available on Audiobook too. I'm sure I have a copy somewhere. Highly recommend.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

thanks for the heads up on the audiobook; Have found some places to get a copy of it

found The Golf of your dreams and Golf is not a game of Perfect

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    With the recent lessons I had, and the changes made to my swing, I have seen some improvements to my scores and approaching the single digit handicap goal of mine.

So I am hoping to find out from all the Ozgolfers here who have played single digits how you approach the game?

I am not a long hitter (Drive average around 220m while my 7i is 140m ), so I know most of the time I will need to rely on my short games to aim for a chip and a putt to get my par. Last few good rounds I had I know it could have been better if I had not missed those easy short putts, so thats something I have to work on.

The hardest part for me is the mental game now. I know I should take every shot as it comes and not worry about the last shot (good or bad), but it's kind of hard not to dwell on it after a double bogey and I keep thinking I only have 5 shots available in this 9.

so how do you guys play the game? what areas do you work on?
    There’s so much free, good info out there and I found what works for me. Try and track down some podcasts and or clips with Lynn Marriot and Pia Nilsson.

There’s some solid nuggets in their teaching if you read their book.

https://www.vision54.com/be-a-player

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Make bogey your worst score and then have more pars than bogeys.

Default Mental game for the single handicappers

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Make bogey your worst score and then have more pars than bogeys.
    This! You need to feel like every bogey is worth one point regardless of granted shots

I have one decent round left to reach 9 so I’ll race you to the finish line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thinking that you only have 5 shots left for the 9 is setting yourself up for failure. You are putting added, unnecessary pressure on yourself.

I play vs par, not a handicap. I don’t keep track of little things like shots remaining. In fact, I generally don’t even keep track of where I am vs par or my cap during a round.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Thinking that you only have 5 shots left for the 9 is setting yourself up for failure. You are putting added, unnecessary pressure on yourself.

I play vs par, not a handicap. I don’t keep track of little things like shots remaining. In fact, I generally don’t even keep track of where I am vs par or my cap during a round.
    Depends what type of person you are, I always know my score, the 4ball, match and probably within 1-2 everyone elses.

Playing cricket if I was on say 63, I knew, driving a car I keep recalculating my arrival time as I'm going. All quite pointless but I'm not sure that even if I wanted to I could stop.

You cant acquire mental toughness not knowing your score.

The Psychology of Tournament Golf by Dr David L Cook. Absolutely nails it. If i remember correctly he says Performance = Potential minus distractions.

There is a few of his talks on You Tube or Vimeo, check this one out, its one of his best. SKIP to 6mins 18 sec to hear an awesome anecdote about Steve Lowery that just puts all this into perspective
    https://youtu.be/54nbLaQ102o

He also wrote a book and a movie called Seven Days in Utopia which is a parable of his Golf Tournament Psychology book, but whilst its entertaining, it only breifly touches on each 'chapter' . If you are serious about your golf, get the real book.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 11th May 2020 at 10:01 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    You cant acquire mental toughness not knowing your score.

The Psychology of Tournament Golf by Dr David L Cook. Absolutely nails it. If i remember correctly he says Performance = Potential minus distractions.

There is a few of his talks on You Tube or Vimeo, check this one out, its one of his best. SKIP to 6mins 18 sec to hear an awesome anecdote about Steve Lowery that just puts all this into perspective
    https://youtu.be/54nbLaQ102o

He also wrote a book and a movie called Seven Days in Utopia which is a parable of his Golf Tournament Psychology book, but whilst its entertaining, it only breifly touches on each 'chapter' . If you are serious about your golf, get the real book.
    I try and focus on what I can control - the shot in front of me and nothing else.

In match play, I'll assess what my opponent faces and adjust accordingly.

I feel my mental "toughness" is very strong, but it probably comes from playing a multitude of sports over many years. I'm also optimistic by nature, so I always believe I am going to make shots, no matter how poorly I've been hitting it.

I'll check out that link a little later on. Always interested in anything that can assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I try and focus on what I can control - the shot in front of me and nothing else.

In match play, I'll assess what my opponent faces and adjust accordingly.

I feel my mental "toughness" is very strong, but it probably comes from playing a multitude of sports over many years. I'm also optimistic by nature, so I always believe I am going to make shots, no matter how poorly I've been hitting it.

I'll check out that link a little later on. Always interested in anything that can assist.
    This is good insight JC, I know you're a good player so im taking note.

What is your thought process on short putts?

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post

I choose my line/target and get my aim set. Setup with one hand on the club in this process.

As soon as my second hand grips the club, I start my takeway.

It keeps the motion natural and doesn’t allow my brain to think any stupid negative thoughts before I putt the ball.

ugh... thats my problem with short/medium putts... I tend to 2nd guess my read, and I either readjust my aim or go chicken shiet with the stroke which either dripple left or push right for a lip out....
    I am putting more efforts into my putting practice now; today doing the putt around the hole drill was infuriating by the time I finished 2/3 around the hole.

Senior Member Major Winner

How short are you calling short?
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I've been hovering around mid to low singles for the last 6 years or so. For me, it's just about playing as much as you can. I don't really use a driving range, I just try play 5/9/12/18 holes of a weekday afternoon, then play my usual Saturday comp round. Repetition is key to knowing your game, then you can translate that to scoring. The more shots you hit on a course, off different lies, with different angles, the better off you'll be. I find the less I think during the round the better, you also have to remember that you're an amateur, you don't hit 1000 balls a day, so you're going to hit bad shots.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    ugh... thats my problem with short/medium putts... I tend to 2nd guess my read, and I either readjust my aim or go chicken shiet with the stroke which either dripple left or push right for a lip out....
    I am putting more efforts into my putting practice now; today doing the putt around the hole drill was infuriating by the time I finished 2/3 around the hole.
    Sounds like you haven't decided what type of putter you want to be?
    IMHO there's only 2 types.
    1. Firm to go 6-12 inches past the hole
    2. Die the ball into the hole (Lag Putter).

Again OMHO, the main focus of your putting should be about the speed. Your lines are then chosen according to your desired speed.
    Unless your playing on super slick greens or holes cut on obvious side slopes (or both) you shouldn't be giving the hole away from short range up to around 4 foot if your a firm putter. If your a lag putter your going to be giving the hole away sometimes and subject to the ball moving off the imperfections because of the lumpy doughnut around the hole where every body stands picking the ball up from around the hole (only super hard greens wont have that issue). Deviations resulting in missed putts from stuff you cant see leads to questioning your stroke or aim and then that often results in corrections or over corrections on the next short putt(s) resulting in more missed putts and the vicious cycle starts.

I recommend working on some distance control drills on the practice green and block out the obsession with thinking everything must go in the hole.
    Take 3 balls
    1st from 6 foot
    2nd from 8 foot
    3rd from 10 foot
    Keep repeating that over and over. You can mix up the length of the first putt but each other one should be 2-3 foot longer to train some feel for distance control.
    During the whole process you thoughts should be about the speed you want to hit the putt.
    All the the above assumes you can already put a reasonable roll on the ball.
    A good roll on the ball helps ride the lumpy doughnut more consistently without getting the deviations.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 12th May 2020 at 01:16 PM.

W.I.T.B

Best thing I did with putting was give into my natural instinct and use an old fashioned pop stroke. Since this change I average around 34-32 putts per round, before it was 40+.

Im now one round away from 9 hcp but yet still feels like unfinished business

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    How short are you calling short?
    lets say 8 feet in

lets say 8 feet in
    See above reply to Okitoki except you may need to start no more than out side the cup from 6-8 foot with a small break.
    It's still all about consistency of your speed control.

W.I.T.B

Thanks for the advice.
    I have to admit that my putting has improved recently due to distance control drills I have been working on with my club pro. the number of 3 putts have significantly reduced.
    The biggest areas I have benefited from this is medium-long distance putts, I am pretty much able to get it within the 3 foot circle for the easy 2nd putt. What gets me is when I land close to pin at around >3ft distance for the birdy/par putts that kills me.
    With the firm at hole strokes, I am usually good when the green is on the slower side, but once I overshoot a hole due to fast greens... i drop to a quivering mess and start to baby my putts.

However, those putts are dead easy during quick 9 holes practice session so it annoys me even more knowing that I can hole them easily when I am not under pressure.

Will try those drills you have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Sounds like you haven't decided what type of putter you want to be?
    IMHO there's only 2 types.
    1. Firm to go 6-12 inches past the hole
    2. Die the ball into the hole (Lag Putter).

Again OMHO, the main focus of your putting should be about the speed. Your lines are then chosen according to your desired speed.
    Unless your playing on super slick greens or holes cut on obvious side slopes (or both) you shouldn't be giving the hole away from short range up to around 4 foot if your a firm putter. If your a lag putter your going to be giving the hole away sometimes and subject to the ball moving off the imperfections because of the lumpy doughnut around the hole where every body stands picking the ball up from around the hole (only super hard greens wont have that issue). Deviations resulting in missed putts from stuff you cant see leads to questioning your stroke or aim and then that often results in corrections or over corrections on the next short putt(s) resulting in more missed putts and the vicious cycle starts.

I recommend working on some distance control drills on the practice green and block out the obsession with thinking everything must go in the hole.
    Take 3 balls
    1st from 6 foot
    2nd from 8 foot
    3rd from 10 foot
    Keep repeating that over and over. You can mix up the length of the first putt but each other one should be 2-3 foot longer to train some feel for distance control.
    During the whole process you thoughts should be about the speed you want to hit the putt.
    All the the above assumes you can already put a reasonable roll on the ball.
    A good roll on the ball helps ride the lumpy doughnut more consistently without getting the deviations.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

First thing in the morning,you need to check the weather.Nothing can ruin your day more than getting miserable because it is raining,or 40d,or whatever.Nothing you can do about it.Formulate a plan for the round,what is today's goal.Is their a problem hole that you want to play better.What club has been working?Are you making the same mistakes without trying something different?

But honestly,for me
    Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid

Just try to keep it on the cut stuff,enjoy the time with your playing partners,and hopefully hole a few putts.Thats about all I worry about.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Watching Scotty's 9 hole game at Maleny the other day he gave tips on putting, his main focus was reading greens and on alignment.

Blog Entries

Before play, I never practice putting to a hole. I will putt 20 to 30’ putts to a space and try and feel the distance. I finish up my routine by putting 3’ putts at a ball (ie a smaller target than a hole). I try to hit the ball with some speed...ie the ball would roll 1’ to 2’ by if I missed.

I try to be feel based not mechanical.
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Thread Information