Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Mental game for the single handicappers

With the recent lessons I had, and the changes made to my swing, I have seen some improvements to my scores and approaching the single digit handicap goal of mine.

So I am hoping to find out from all the Ozgolfers here who have played single digits how you approach the game?

I am not a long hitter (Drive average around 220m while my 7i is 140m ), so I know most of the time I will need to rely on my short games to aim for a chip and a putt to get my par. Last few good rounds I had I know it could have been better if I had not missed those easy short putts, so thats something I have to work on.

The hardest part for me is the mental game now. I know I should take every shot as it comes and not worry about the last shot (good or bad), but it's kind of hard not to dwell on it after a double bogey and I keep thinking I only have 5 shots available in this 9.

so how do you guys play the game? what areas do you work on?

Currently off 5, lowest has been 2.

You say you are short, if you carry it 220 with driver and 140 with 7 iron you are about half a club shorter than me so not a massive difference.

Mentally I play my best when I enjoy it, and enjoy it more when I lay well. How to get into that cycle is my issue. Being confident and committed all stem from that too. As you get lower I feel like commitment to the shot becomes more important. I have read the Vision 54 stuff but have not had a chance to implement yet due to Covid.

So, basically try to enjoy it. Trust yourself...and forgive and forget bad shots. Now if I can just take my own advice.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I agree 220 carry is by no means short, I average about 225 carry and hit it past most of the high single figure markers (6-9) at my club

Haha. I cant even get 200m all up
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Anyone got any tips for pretend/wannabee single digit playas!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    I thought that's why I am asking here

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

You know the story about the “Boy who called wolf”?

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

You should be off 6, permanently.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, before challenging two old blokes for dinner.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

I do miss the days of playing off 18, wipe wipe start, bogey train and then 3 birdies for a tidy 38 points

That is farming talk!!! I have seen how good you hit it!!!!

I think some of the biggest differences between mid teens and mid singles is:

* to try no to have 2 poor swings in a row* ( most low markers rarely do this)
    * have a default swing thought/shape/preshot that you can always go to when your game goes to sh*t (happens to everyone)
    * be aggressive with birdie or short par putts, try to never leave them short

bit curious that there is only 80mt difference between your 7 iron and driver (Drive average around 220m while my 7i is 140m)

Mine is at least 100-120mt difference

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    With the recent lessons I had, and the changes made to my swing, I have seen some improvements to my scores and approaching the single digit handicap goal of mine.

So I am hoping to find out from all the Ozgolfers here who have played single digits how you approach the game?

I am not a long hitter (Drive average around 220m while my 7i is 140m ), so I know most of the time I will need to rely on my short games to aim for a chip and a putt to get my par. Last few good rounds I had I know it could have been better if I had not missed those easy short putts, so thats something I have to work on.

The hardest part for me is the mental game now. I know I should take every shot as it comes and not worry about the last shot (good or bad), but it's kind of hard not to dwell on it after a double bogey and I keep thinking I only have 5 shots available in this 9.

so how do you guys play the game? what areas do you work on?

Quote Originally Posted by Shreko View Post
    I think some of the biggest differences between mid teens and mid singles is:

bit curious that there is only 80mt difference between your 7 iron and driver (Drive average around 220m while my 7i is 140m)
    My gappings are like this

Driver - 220
    3FW - 200
    3H - 185
    4H - 175
    5H - 165
    6i - 150
    7i - 140
    8i - 130
    9i - 120
    PW - 110
    GW - 95
    SW - 75
    LW - 60

The driver is still a battle between forgiving high shots that doesnt roll or low shots that rolls long but always get me into the shiet.... at the moment, on dryer days, i would get better rolls, but now in winter it is stopping dead.

My typical 2nd shots is around the 150m so I have been concentrating on working on my 6i or get more confidence with the 5h

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

The game of golf is very simple. You hit the ball onto the fairway, you put the next one on the green and you try not to have no more than 2 putts. With today's equipment, the game has never been easier, especially the "hit it onto the fairway" bit with modern drivers and fairway woods.

If you are reasonably confident with your fundamentals and shot making capabilities, then how you manage your way around the course largely determines what your score will look like. In its simplest form, you aim up the middle and try to put the approach shots onto the middle of the green. You can be more aggressive as you get closer in, but all you are realistically trying to do is not put yourself in a position to make mistakes, or worse compound them into massive scores.

The mental side is more complicated. All the ability in the world is of little use if you can't get your head right during the round. As amateur golfers we are all going to make mistakes and hit poor shots. How you recover mentally from a poor shot largely dictates the success of the next shot. I have seen very few, if any, amateur golfers, who can blow up and then play well over the next few shots and holes - it just doesn't happen. Maintain a level head through the highs and lows of the round and remember that the only important thing in golf is the next shot.

Oh, and forget about putting drills from 6,8,10 feet etc, it's a complete waste of time. Spend half your time knocking in 4 footers, and the other half practising lag putts from 40 feet across a variety of slopes and lines - if you can develop an understand of how to get the them close from that range and confidence to knock the next ones in, everything in between will fall into place.

Love, Webster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, before challenging a 50yr old white guy for dinner or Kitcheners.
    Fixed that for you Dotty
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Fixed that for you Dotty
    I won a pie off him at Port Fairy!

I think it was sympathy after he won dinner at the Portland RSL the day before.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Oh, and forget about putting drills from 6,8,10 feet etc, it's a complete waste of time. Spend half your time knocking in 4 footers, and the other half practising lag putts from 40 feet across a variety of slopes and lines - if you can develop an understand of how to get the them close from that range and confidence to knock the next ones in, everything in between will fall into place.

Love, Webster.
    This. Pros only make about 50% of the 8 footers that they have, and they practice daily. Practice long lag putts so you give yourself nothing worse than a 3-4 footer and just be rock solid over that distance.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, before challenging two old blokes for dinner.
    HaHa what he said

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    The game of golf is very simple. You hit the ball onto the fairway, you put the next one on the green and you try not to have no more than 2 putts. With today's equipment, the game has never been easier, especially the "hit it onto the fairway" bit with modern drivers and fairway woods.

If you are reasonably confident with your fundamentals and shot making capabilities, then how you manage your way around the course largely determines what your score will look like. In its simplest form, you aim up the middle and try to put the approach shots onto the middle of the green. You can be more aggressive as you get closer in, but all you are realistically trying to do is not put yourself in a position to make mistakes, or worse compound them into massive scores.

The mental side is more complicated. All the ability in the world is of little use if you can't get your head right during the round. As amateur golfers we are all going to make mistakes and hit poor shots. How you recover mentally from a poor shot largely dictates the success of the next shot. I have seen very few, if any, amateur golfers, who can blow up and then play well over the next few shots and holes - it just doesn't happen. Maintain a level head through the highs and lows of the round and remember that the only important thing in golf is the next shot.

Love, Webster.
    Before a round, this is pretty much what I do.

I generally only hit 4-5 footers to make sure I’m hitting it straight.

If it’s not online from 4, it’s not online from 40.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

If I want to score lower I will set a goal.
    Last round was evens for par 4's and 5 highest score on the card.
    Had one over for the 4's and 5 was the highest
    2nd last round par for 3's and 5's combined even par
    Was one over that combined
    3rd last was more birdies than pars and bogie highest score
    3 birds and 4 bogies and no doubles or worse

Well looks like this info missed the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Well looks like this info missed the mark.
    Yeap... pretty much didn't workout today. Replied too much on up and downs but it doesn't work well when the short games are not up to scratch.4 GIR and 32 putts is just not there today

You're not far off, last round I hit six greens and had 28 putts for 5 over the stick.
    Maybe try bump and runs with 8 iron

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    You're not far off, last round I hit six greens and had 28 putts for 5 over the stick.Maybe try bump and runs with 8 iron
    Haha... that's what kept getting me into trouble.... all seems hot off the face even when I just putted it....

I found that link helpful.

Thread Information