Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - May 2020

01/05/2020, Gailes GC, Stableford.

I started off a bit scratchy, thanks to continuing to hit dud iron shots, but managed to keep the score ticking over. I had a good patch in the middle of the round, when I focussed on just hitting the middle of the green, and made some good swings with the irons. I started leaking a bit later on, and then for the last five holes I was incapable of playing a golf shot with any club. Sprayed drives, punch-outs that would fly high and hit branches, and flubbed irons; it was super deflating.

I don't usually report on my rounds in stableford terms, because I try to focus on gross, but to show how bad I went, I had three points in the last five holes, after getting it back to one off handicap through 13. I've got no idea what happened, but to preserve myself mentally I'm going to blame it on golf fatigue. It is my first eighteen hole round since February, and my first time carrying all for all eighteen since October last year. The body got through it pretty well though, except a little bit of hip soreness which is carrying over from cycling.

Stats: 7/15 fairways, 5/18 greens, 32 putts.
    Score: BPXBPPPB BbPBBXXXB; 43-46-89 (+16); Stab 16-12-28pts.

Three consecutive months starting the thread. I guess it is because I have my hits midweek. June 1 is on a Monday...hmmmmm.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    01/05/2020, Gailes GC, Stableford.

I started off a bit scratchy, thanks to continuing to hit dud iron shots, but managed to keep the score ticking over. I had a good patch in the middle of the round, when I focussed on just hitting the middle of the green, and made some good swings with the irons. I started leaking a bit later on, and then for the last five holes I was incapable of playing a golf shot with any club. Sprayed drives, punch-outs that would fly high and hit branches, and flubbed irons; it was super deflating.

I don't usually report on my rounds in stableford terms, because I try to focus on gross, but to show how bad I went, I had three points in the last five holes, after getting it back to one off handicap through 13. I've got no idea what happened, but to preserve myself mentally I'm going to blame it on golf fatigue. It is my first eighteen hole round since February, and my first time carrying all for all eighteen since October last year. The body got through it pretty well though, except a little bit of hip soreness which is carrying over from cycling.

Stats: 7/15 fairways, 5/18 greens, 32 putts.
    Score: BPXBPPPB BbPBBXXXB; 43-46-89 (+16); Stab 16-12-28pts.

Three consecutive months starting the thread. I guess it is because I have my hits midweek. June 1 is on a Monday...hmmmmm.
    Andy you’re on fire with these opening posts? You’re back to being a full time golfer.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Andy you’re on fire with these opening posts? You’re back to being a full time golfer.
    I am trying to play semi-regularly, even though it is just 9 holes usually, but it was good to finally play 18 holes again.

I am trying to play semi-regularly, even though it is just 9 holes usually, but it was good to finally play 18 holes again.
    Mate, don’t sell yourself short. Playing 9 is still golf, good to see you back out there regularly. The hip any better?

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Mate, don’t sell yourself short. Playing 9 is still golf, good to see you back out there regularly. The hip any better?
    The adductor is less painful than what it was in Feb, and I have been doing a decent amount of walking and some riding. That said, I have another operation on it in mid-June, which hopefully allows me to do some real exercise.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

30 points today of 11hdcp.
    First shot was a pull into the bush for a lost ball wasn't a good sign.
    4 3putts and missing 5ft putts due to me unable to read the greens nd how fast was tough to score.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

32 points for me today.

Lost my first tee shot of the day in the left rough. Nice way to start.

14/17

1 bird

Played well for the most part. We got around in 3hrs 20 mins. We still had to wait on a couple of holes with two groups in the tees.

Group behind us was never waiting.

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

81/73 at Richmond this morning...matchplay qualifying round. Top 8 in each grade go through to knockout.

Blew a gale yesterday, so I might have half a chance.

Grazed edges or left putts about a foot short at least 4-5 times. Everything else was pretty decent.

3 hours and 7 minutes with a group in front that ended up about 2 holes behind.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Had a pretty decent game after yesterday's lack flustered game.
    Chipping was good but still missed a few easy 5ft putts. 1 4putts didn't help me either.
    80/69 for 39 points. So close to breaking 80 as my personal best. Counting scores on the last hole didn't help my nerve either but got a par out of it

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

RQ today 3hrs
    36pts
    windy as
    No birds
    4 bogies
    2 doubles
    12 pars

Hit 16 of the 18 greens on the full but only held 6.

Yesterday nice little 76 (37pts). Kicking myself because I was striping it and putting incredibly well except for two bad swings.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

#flusha

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    #flusha
    Hardly, first one was a knifed wedge from 40m OB and nearly killing someone on the practice putting green.
    Last edited by BUSHY; 3rd May 2020 at 05:43 PM.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

An immensely frustrating 36 points for me today. It's not true that I had the handbrake on when I missed 4 footers on 16 and 18, because I also missed 4 footers on 7 and 9, when it is too early to apply the handbrake.

I hit the ball really well, and chipped really well. There is a very good round waiting for me soon, if I haven't already missed my chance.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Had a social hit at Wolston Park on Sunday, ended up with 95. The wind was quite challenging, hit a few nice drives with the wind and a few crappy ones against it. One highlight was hitting a par 5 in two, but then 3 putted for par. Didn't expect an eagle from 10 metres away or whatever it was but probably should have got birdie. The greens were odd, a little furry and quite slow, but chips would roll on forever. I feel like I'm slowly getting the number of fluffed shots down each round, three rounds in a row under 100 now so heading in the right direction. A lot better than when I first started again back in January anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    Had a social hit at Wolston Park on Sunday, ended up with 95. The wind was quite challenging, hit a few nice drives with the wind and a few crappy ones against it. One highlight was hitting a par 5 in two, but then 3 putted for par. Didn't expect an eagle from 10 metres away or whatever it was but probably should have got birdie. The greens were odd, a little furry and quite slow, but chips would roll on forever. I feel like I'm slowly getting the number of fluffed shots down each round, three rounds in a row under 100 now so heading in the right direction. A lot better than when I first started again back in January anyway.
    I assume you hit the seventh green in two. Was that from the social tees? I don't think I've actually played from them before.

The greens were sanded a few weeks ago, so maybe they are still recovering, and that's why they were furry.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

A late entry for a Single Stableford at Half Moon Bay. 38 points, 20/18, left me a happy camper. Best comp round in a while. Just had a few stumbles coming home but managed to hold it together. The course is in good nick and the greens are coming back well after recent renovations. Looking forward to getting out again soon, hopefully.

I assume you hit the seventh green in two. Was that from the social tees? I don't think I've actually played from them before. The greens were sanded a few weeks ago, so maybe they are still recovering, and that's why they were furry.
    It was the fourth, hit the drive up near some big pine tree then a dead straight 3 wood that must have rolled down the hill to the green. We were playing off the social tees though yeah. The greens looked pretty much recovered but maybe that had something to do with it. How long have they been topdressing greens in autumn? Don't remember ever doing it when I did my apprenticeship at Oxley, but maybe we did 🤔

I've never really thought about hitting the fourth in two, since that second shot is blind. I think some clubs may have taken an opportunity during the pandemic to do the top dressing; it was the same for Gailes a month ago too.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    A late entry for a Single Stableford at Half Moon Bay. 38 points, 20/18, left me a happy camper. Best comp round in a while. Just had a few stumbles coming home but managed to hold it together. The course is in good nick and the greens are coming back well after recent renovations. Looking forward to getting out again soon, hopefully.
    Nice work, Dave.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

I've never really thought about hitting the fourth in two, since that second shot is blind. I think some clubs may have taken an opportunity during the pandemic to do the top dressing; it was the same for Gailes a month ago too.
    I haven't played there in years, my mate I was with just said aim at the tree with no leaves on it, didn't think it'd go that far but found it on the right edge when we got down there. Good thing it went straight or it probably would have been off the fairway on that side. Yeah they'd done it at St Lucia recently as well. Possibly Oxley too although last time I was there a couple of weeks ago they looked pretty normal.

Been a mixed bag the last few days.

Shot 3 under in a combined 9 hole round over 2 days for 42 points, then played Sunday and had 81/79 in the monthly medal. Today I had 37 points off 2 with 5 penalties. This included 4 birdies in a row from 11 to 14, to get from 5 over to 1 over. I’m due for a very low round shortly if the stars align.
    Last edited by backintheswing; 6th May 2020 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Been a mixed bag the last few days.

Shot 3 under in a combined 9 hole round over 2 days for 42 points, then played Sunday and had 81/79 in the monthly medal. Today I had 37 points off 2 with 5 penalties. This included 4 birdies in a row from 11 to 14, to get from 5 over to 1 over. I’m due for a very low round shortly if the stars align.
    Nice playing.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

27 with three birdies, lost count of the wipes.
    Lucky the course is an absolute peach atm, don’t really give a shit about my scores tbh.
    #happychoppa #rocksordiamonds

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Been a mixed bag the last few days.Shot 3 under in a combined 9 hole round over 2 days for 42 points, then played Sunday and had 81/79 in the monthly medal. Today I had 37 points off 2 with 5 penalties. This included 4 birdies in a row from 11 to 14, to get from 5 over to 1 over. I’m due for a very low round shortly if the stars align.
    Good comeback, well done.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Thread Information