Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Settlers Run vs Ranfurlie

Hi All -

New to the game and am looking at getting into it more seriously. I've recently brought where the old Amstel course was (Cranbourne) and am looking at joining either SR or Ranfurlie and was after pros and cons of both.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Play both, find out what you like.

Ranfurlie is somewhat unfairly known as the paddock with flags - but its a very strategic course, where angles are important. Haven't played there in 10 years though, but remember there were some funky green complexes.

I like Settlers Run - elevation changes, some fun and risk reward holes.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Haven't played Ranfurlie,big fan of Settlers.Settlers can be tough,big bunkers,elevation changes,big bunkers,have to think your way around.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

And don’t rule out Lang Lang, only a half hours drive from where you are and definitely great value for money. It will also be drier than the two you have mentioned during winter.
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Thanks guys, what's playability like at SR? I hear during winter that it's less than desirable, however these comments were made a number of years ago?

Will certainly be playing both post COVID.

Think about Cranbourne as well - all three are good golf courses local to your community.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by WT90 View Post
    Thanks guys, what's playability like at SR? I hear during winter that it's less than desirable, however these comments were made a number of years ago?

Will certainly be playing both post COVID.
    SR is a Greg Norman designed course.If you are new to the game,then it can be a bit brutle if you try to attack the course.Lang Lang is a great track,I have played it and like it.Has enough bunkers to keep it interesting,but the course doesn't require you to have to land every approach shot on the green.The greens aren't to hard to play,not alot of slope,but they are quick down grain.It plays as a long course,good use of dog legs so you can't just go around bombing driver everywhere

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Seriously, none of it matters if you are new to the game, and right now you are not going to find out if the social aspect of the club suits you.

Play both and see what you like, or join the closest course to you. You can always change later
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by WT90 View Post
    Hi All - New to the game and am looking at getting into it more seriously. I've recently brought where the old Amstel course was (Cranbourne) and am looking at joining either SR or Ranfurlie and was after pros and cons of both.Any feedback would be appreciated.Thanks.
    Ranfurlie = Latin for windy goat.. ............Settlers or Lang Lang

Senior Member Major Winner

I absolutely hate it when people don't answer the question, but instead give an answer that wasn't an option...

So you can understand how much it hurts me to say Cranbourne instead.

Seriously, do yourself a favour.

Don't bother with Ranfurlie, you'll fall asleep playing the damn thing, if you don't get blown off the course before then.

Settlers is a solid track, but as you mentioned gets very wet June - August.

Go Cranbourne, your enjoyment of the game will thank you so much more.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by leftyhoges View Post
    i absolutely hate it when people don't answer the question, but instead give an answer that wasn't an option...so you can understand how much it hurts me to say cranbourne instead.seriously, do yourself a favour.don't bother with ranfurlie, you'll fall asleep playing the damn thing, if you don't get blown off the course before then.settlers is a solid track, but as you mentioned gets very wet june - august.go cranbourne, your enjoyment of the game will thank you so much more.
    amen

Settlers has a nicer practice facility (plus you can use gym, pool and keep your stuff there in a locker) and condition wise it is more consistent (green speeds). Both are nice tracks to play though. Comes down to how much social golf you want to play and which is less busy... if you're a golf addict that is. I would join Settlers, plus they have some nice reciprocals as well.

Thanks everyone, I've actually decided to go with Cranbourne. Knowing a few blokes there and also got a decent deal on the membership, made the choice a no brainer.

I haven't played the track so can anyone give some advice on what to expect? The blokes I know have just solde me on it being like playing on carpet day in day out, a little more info would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Cranbourne has width.

The back nine is quasi sand-belt, with natural heath plants in the rough.
    Front nine has heavier soil (not terrible, just heavier than the back nine).

Santa Ana went in over 20 years ago - Cranbourne were one of the pioneers on this transformation.
    Greens are still a blend of brown top and poa, some 60 years after being established.
    The course shows what can be achieved with careful custodianship.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I just read that Cranbourne is the base club for Jewish members in Melbourne.

Thread Information