Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default It's Masters Week!!! Foxtel Pop-up Channel

For those that weren't aware Fox is doing a Masters Pop-up for the week.

I've had it on in the background in my office at home all day and it's been awesome. Loving the early 90's and how different the course would have played.

One thing I've noted is the distance they're hitting it (or lack thereof). Take 15 as an example- who would've remembered that there's mounding in the right side of the fairway and how difficult it must be trying to hit that green with a 1 or 2 iron!!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    For those that weren't aware Fox is doing a Masters Pop-up for the week.

I've had it on in the background in my office at home all day and it's been awesome. Loving the early 90's and how different the course would have played.

One thing I've noted is the distance they're hitting it (or lack thereof). Take 15 as an example- who would've remembered that there's mounding in the right side of the fairway and how difficult it must be trying to hit that green with a 1 or 2 iron!!!
    Like trying to hit it onto the roof of a VW Beetle, as Geoff Ogilvy says. I want to watch Boozy Woozy's win in '91. Currently watching Vijay's 2000 win. Having all Masters final rounds freely available on YouTube is the best.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Take 15 as an example- who would've remembered that there's mounding in the right side of the fairway and how difficult it must be trying to hit that green with a 1 or 2 iron!!!
    1 iron wasnt as hard to hit as we think, the ball was so different back then. My early memories of the masters was most of the players were reaching it with an iron but the distance of the hole was exactly 500 yards in the 1980's

Also interesting is The front of the green wasnt always like a pooltable running down to the water, formerley there was enough rough there to stop the ball rolling back in.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I haven't checked out Foxtel (or in my case Kayo) yet, but as I have posted in other threads, I've been watching one Masters per day on Youtube.

As we are discussing the olden days here, it is fair to say some things have changed a lot, and others haven't changed at all. I don't know whether Fox goes back this far, but if it does, check out the 70's editions.

There are almost no trees off the fairways on 14 and 17. They look totally different.

One of the most interesting aspects for me is what we know as the traditional Sunday pin placements. Some haven't changed at all. 2, 12, 13 never move over the years. 18 has been in the same place ever since they moved the tee back in the early 2000's and 16 has been in close to the same place for a long time. But it was a very interesting pin when back right.. But 9, 10, 11, 14 and 17 seem to move about quite a lot.

The other thing is the green speeds. They are way quicker than back in the 70's and 80's. This also affects the run-offs, like 15, as Blakey has noted.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Jim, did you know 11 used to be a dogleg right drive and wedge hole. And the 10th green was right of the big bunker that way short of the green.

16th green was also left of the lake.

Apart from that the course layout is unchanged.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

How about back in the early days of Augusta National when the course featured no rough. That's so much trickier than rough - you hit your tee shot on the wrong line or you don't shape it the right way and it's ta-ta too-too to your ball. Imagine bailing out to the right on 10 and instead of your ball holding up in the rough it just keeps going further down into the boonies.
    Last edited by FuzzyJuzzy; 7th April 2020 at 10:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Watched '96 again last night, it doesn't get any easier! 😕
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Minor_Threat View Post
    Watched '96 again last night, it doesn't get any easier! 😕
    I couldnt do it. Norman did a live stream on instagram last week and answered a question about that. He admitted his aproach shot on 9 was the turning point for him, as he thought it was good but missed being perfect by 3 feet. He wasnt making an excuse, he was juat rather candid about thats where he felt it slipping away.I was surprised he even answered it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I refuse to watch 96.

I watched 86 again last night. Again painful for Greg Norman, but Jack's last 6 holes with total crowd support is still perhaps the most exciting golf I've ever seen. Something I've never noticed before was that even his playing partner, Sandy Lyle, was cheering for him in 16 and 17.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I couldnt do it. Norman did a live stream on instagram last week and answered a question about that. He admitted his aproach shot on 9 was the turning point for him, as he thought it was good but missed being perfect by 3 feet. He wasnt making an excuse, he was juat rather candid about thats where he felt it slipping away.I was surprised he even answered it.
    Apart from the pain of watching the 86,87 & 96 Masters, I’ve really enjoyed the pop-up channel. In 86 it was really one bad swing on the 18th that cost Norman. In 87 he was robbed firstly by the putt that lipped out on 18 and then by the arsiest shot of all time by Mize. In 96 it was about 2 dozen poor swings and generally poor course management. The other thing that struck me about Norman’s final round in 96 was how many times he re-gripped the club; almost Sergio like.

2011 and 2013 were sensational with so many Aussies in the hunt. I really thought Jason Day would have won a Masters but it appears he’ll be a one major wonder if his health continues to decline.

Thread Information