Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - April 2020

02/04/2020, Wolston Park GC, Social 10 Holes (1-9, 13).

Look at me go! Starting these threads in consecutive months!

Another hit with the boy yesterday. I had +6 on the par 3 fifth, with a dud hybrid tee shot, five attempts at flop shots to the green, and three putts. If I had have just played it sensibly, and not lost the plot, the round score would have been very handy, as I had +2 for the other nine holes.

Last time I said that the driver was dictating my scoring. This round, I couldn't have hit the new driver much better, so maybe I have it figured out. 3/6 fairways doesn't show that, but the misses weren't by too much, not that you can hit the sixth fairway anyway.

Unfortunately, the rest of the game didn't follow; maybe I can't have a good driver swing and good iron swing at the same time. I didn't hit a green until the 7th, despite having less than 120m for several approaches, and that was after a great drive, but putting the hybrid into the trees, then hitting a low 8I out onto the green, and draining the birdie putt. Greens in regulation for the next three holes too.

Stats: 3/6 fairways, 4/10 greens, 1.7 putts/hole.
    Score: PBPBXBbPP P; +8

Senior Member Major Winner

Stableford at Maryborough.

Played crap at the start, and good at the end. Managed to sort it out on 8.

15/19 34
    0 servos visited
    0 shops visited
    0 1.5m space bubble breaches
    0 flags or rakes touched
    0 social distancing breakdowns witnessed
    0 3jigs
    8 rounds straight in the 70s

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Noice!

Stableford at Maryborough.

Played crap at the start, and good at the end. Managed to sort it out on 8.

15/19 34
    0 servos visited
    0 shops visited
    0 1.5m space bubble breaches
    0 flags or rakes touched
    0 social distancing breakdowns witnessed
    0 3jigs
    Flushaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Flushaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    The dream is over.

Played solid yesterday at Maryborough. Except for 2 shanks that led to wipes. Got clever trying play shots I shouldnt - a knock down and a controlled power carve. Neither were full on hosels, but enough to get me in trouble.

14/16 30
    11 pars
    2 el hosolo
    2 3jigs

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

#shootsintheseventiesexceptatvicchamps

I've noticed people are scoring much better in two balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    #shootsintheseventiesexceptatvicchamps
    Home track bully maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Home track bully maybe??
    Pre CV, there were good away flags.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

29 points this morning.

Wasn't playing particularly well but didn't care, just happy to be out on a golf course.

The dream is over.

Played solid yesterday at Maryborough. Except for 2 shanks that led to wipes. Got clever trying play shots I shouldnt - a knock down and a controlled power carve. Neither were full on hosels, but enough to get me in trouble.

14/16 30
    11 pars
    2 el hosolo
    2 3jigs
    30pts is no crash and burn. Hold my beer while I struggle to average a point a hole

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    30pts is no crash and burn. Hold my beer while I struggle to average a point a hole
    30pts is ok, except it ruined my run of rounds in the 70s.

Went for a solo muck around at St Lucia on Saturday, hit 84 but really more around 91/92 with the lost balls. Kept hitting high draws with my driver for some reason and couldn't find them despite the rough not being very long or thick. Hadn't adjusted anything on it since the last game when I was hitting it straight with a more normal trajectory. Dropped the loft down a bit and saw improvement. Weird 😂
    Apart from that it was nice just to go and have a hit.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I played my first round under strict social isolation conditions today. 32 points wasn't strange at all, but a lot of other things made it an odd experience.

Playing in two person groups puts some pressure on. Firstly, to turn up. One guy had been stood up, and couldn't get another game for 4 hours, unless someone else didn't turn up. Secondly, to keep up. There is nowhere to hide if you fall behind. While you can blame your partner for being slow, nobody will believe you.

The bunkers were a strange experience also. My first bunker was one where I was in a footprint and I was able to prefer the lie. But that brings its own pressure. When you have a perfect bunker lie, the expectation is different. You should hit a good shot from a perfect lie, but will you?

I didn't get any flag rejections from a putt, but I did get one from a chip that hit dead on and should have dropped.

Lastly, the round took exactly 3hrs20min, with no 9 hole break, and then no drinks after 18. So I was home 1 hour and 40min earlier than normal.

All in all though, after being cooped up for almost 2 weeks, it was great to be out on the course.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I played my first round under strict social isolation conditions today. 32 points wasn't strange at all, but a lot of other things made it an odd experience.

Playing in two person groups puts some pressure on. Firstly, to turn up. One guy had been stood up, and couldn't get another game for 4 hours, unless someone else didn't turn up. Secondly, to keep up. There is nowhere to hide if you fall behind. While you can blame your partner for being slow, nobody will believe you.

The bunkers were a strange experience also. My first bunker was one where I was in a footprint and I was able to prefer the lie. But that brings its own pressure. When you have a perfect bunker lie, the expectation is different. You should hit a good shot from a perfect lie, but will you?

I didn't get any flag rejections from a putt, but I did get one from a chip that hit dead on and should have dropped.

Lastly, the round took exactly 3hrs20min, with no 9 hole break, and then no drinks after 18. So I was home 1 hour and 40min earlier than normal.

All in all though, after being cooped up for almost 2 weeks, it was great to be out on the course.
    Why so slow?

W.I.T.B

I played Monday and today and both times 2hr 45min and not even rushing

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I played Sunday and it was 3 hours 40.

Bloke I was with lost his flat finish yellow ball at least 6 times. Such a punish.

Courses need Marshall’s out there convincing people it’s not a 5 hour sport.

Soooo slowww yesterday due to my playing partner taking forever to hit his shots.
    Not sure how standing over the ball for a full minute is productive.
    He was a lefty though so diminished brain function can be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Soooo slowww yesterday due to my playing partner taking forever to hit his shots.
    Not sure how standing over the ball for a full minute is productive.
    He was a lefty though so diminished brain function can be expected.
    Do people call him anzac?

W.I.T.B

Wandered over to Strathalbyn for a hit with HP today. Have wanted to cross this course off the list for a few years.
    Having never played there before the front 9 was a bit loose not knowing the preferred lines led to a number of soft bogeys and double amongst a few safe pars.
    Got better control of the swing on back nine and found the groove. Had back to back birdies on the Par 4 2nd and Par 5 3rd after being just off the edge for 2. Made eagle on the Par 5 16th after a big bomb tee shot on fairway that almost completely blocked the second shot off behind the bush on the corner. Had just enough room to shape a cut with the persimmon 4 wood finishing 4 foot from the pin. Made a couple of bogeys and rest pars lipping another birdie putt out to be in the red on the back nine.

Thumbs up for the course. Small country track that yes does have some conditioning issues but it’s clear theirs are heading in a direction of improvement with 2yr planted couch fairways and full irrigation 12months ago. Good variety of shape and distance on the holes with a mix of flat and sloped greens. More than happy to go there again.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 10th April 2020 at 10:18 PM.

W.I.T.B

Stableford at Maryborough today.

Jumped on the bogey train on 1, and stayed there until 9. Putting was average - greens are in good nick, but vary in pace green to green. Battled round the front for 12 points.

More of the same on the back, but made a few more putts for 18 points.

12/18 30
    5 gir
    5 pars
    32 putts
    1 3 jig
    0 highlights
    2h and 50min for 18

Hit 99 at Gailes. A few memorable moments, hitting a 95m sand wedge to within 2 feet on the 9th, hitting my drive into a bird flying across in front of the tee on the 10th, and holing a chip from the rough on the 15th for birdie. Overall was pretty happy with how I played considering I've only been back playing since January. Slowly getting more consistent and getting scores down.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

First scoring round with the blades, shot 79 off the stick in what was a mixed round of highs and lows. Putting came together on the back and made a number of clutch putts.

Best decision I ever made was switching to blades, the feel is so good and the spin is incredible. I feel like I don't need slide the left side as much (right for a right hand) to activate stopping power the club does it all for you provided you strike it well enough.

Another round tomorrow, need another 3 more sub 80 rounds to finally hit the single digit mark, from that point I will actually stop feeling like such a muppet golfer

9 holes?

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

37 points (17/20) at Richmond today.

A little scrappy at times with my approach shots, but overall pretty pleased with the effort.

Thread Information