Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Quote Originally Posted by Oldplayer View Post
    All regional adult non-contact sport can recommence. In other words back to normal for golf albeit with masks and social distancing. I suspect we will be back to comps in 4's as soon as the official word form Golf Vic comes through.
    Golf Vic and Golf Aus can give advice which is much appreciated but they have no legal rule over how a club operates. No need to wait for their notice.

Our club is back playing comps in 4's from tomorrow.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by flathook View Post
    Golf Vic and Golf Aus can give advice which is much appreciated but they have no legal rule over how a club operates. No need to wait for their notice.
    spot on

Is there a possible insurance issue if you go against their advice?
    With the Vic NSW border opening up a bit I can play golf at my home course again for the first time in 2 months this weekend. God knows haw many I will have!

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Is there a possible insurance issue if you go against their advice?
    With the Vic NSW border opening up a bit I can play golf at my home course again for the first time in 2 months this weekend. God knows haw many I will have!
    My understanding is that the only thing the golf organisations control is handicapping and affiliation. If they think a club is deliberately manipulating the handicap system, not playing by the rules of golf or not paying their share of affiliation fees they can deregister them from the association. Clubs need to be affiliated because members want a travelling handicap. Without that affilliation you wouldn't have many members. And it's in the interests of the organisations to support clubs and give business advice because healthy clubs equal more affiliation fees.
    But the only organisation the clubs have to answer to with regards to covid is the state health department and the state police who enforce covid regulations. Clubs need to be more concerned with health officials visiting. $9913 on the spot fines for businesses for a breach and the regulations are fairly pedantic. No capacity signs outside each room, no cleaning policy for staff, self serve areas like tea and coffee are all breaches.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I’ll think you’d find parts of the Federal WH&S Legislation that override any and all of that. Especially in Victoria with your ridiculous new corporate manslaughter changes.

As a GM or Director of a club in Victoria I’d be very hesitant to rush to open until the guidelines are clear, which clearly they aren’t.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

As a club administrator, all that matters is when a public health order is published. Even press conferences by the PM or Premier aren’t gospel. Until it’s written on a PHO it’s just hearsay or conjecture.

There have been more instances than I can count of when supposed previews of new regulations being released in advance in the media and then not being true when the PHO comes out (on a side note - it would be handy if a PHO came out a few days prior to being in vogue rather than the night before).

We made the decision back in March or April to only take notice of the PHO’s. The overwhelming majority of predictions by everyone else are off the mark. It’s a waste of energy to concern yourself with anything other than what the current regulations are.

And forget GA. They are a bunch of post turtles.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    As a club administrator, all that matters is when a public health order is published. Even press conferences by the PM or Premier aren’t gospel. Until it’s written on a PHO it’s just hearsay or conjecture.
    Can I ask what your take is on current “COVID rules” are? There are some clubs with rakes in bunkers and flags back in play (in nsw) but it seems more courses have stayed with the original touch nothing edict.

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Can I ask what your take is on current “COVID rules” are? There are some clubs with rakes in bunkers and flags back in play (in nsw) but it seems more courses have stayed with the original touch nothing edict.
    Personally I would prefer the option to remove the flag. The chances of it really being a health issue are minuscule but the ramifications are severe so it’s not a cause I’m prepare to die for. Rakes I’m comfortable doing without - as long as the members actually swipe the sand with their feet so everyone has access to a reasonable lie. Whether the members actually do it is the main issue. At Wollongong they’re woeful at doing it.Golf has managed to largely avoid the carnage and the financial benefits have been amazing. I doubt membership demand has been this high in 40 years. I say do whatever we can to protect this opportunity.I’ve gone full Covid Nazi since the start. A lot of people hated it but they got used to it. What pubs got up to a couple of months ago and the danger it caused at the time backed up that theory and now I think just about everyone at the club wants to protect it.
    Forum needs more banter.

In bunkers at my club we're allowed to pick the ball up and smooth the sand and replace it, if the lie is crappy like in a footprint or whatever. No rakes, no touching the flagstick. Or at least it was like that two weeks ago when I last played there. Next game planned there is three weeks away so things might have relaxed. A course I played last weekend had rakes back and could remove the flag. This is in Queensland.

Personally I would prefer the option to remove the flag. The chances of it really being a health issue are minuscule but the ramifications are severe so it’s not a cause I’m prepare to die for. Rakes I’m comfortable doing without - as long as the members actually swipe the sand with their feet so everyone has access to a reasonable lie. Whether the members actually do it is the main issue. At Wollongong they’re woeful at doing it.Golf has managed to largely avoid the carnage and the financial benefits have been amazing. I doubt membership demand has been this high in 40 years. I say do whatever we can to protect this opportunity.I’ve gone full Covid Nazi since the start. A lot of people hated it but they got used to it. What pubs got up to a couple of months ago and the danger it caused at the time backed up that theory and now I think just about everyone at the club wants to protect it.
    I agree. I'm not normally a stickler for the rules but this is different. Politicians, lawyers and journos crawling all over the place looking for any angle they can find. My personal opinion is that they have gone too far with some of the rules but anyone running a business doesn't get to have a personal opinion in this case.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Hey SMS, what have your round numbers and membership been like?

We hit our maximum members this year, and every weekend round is now prebooked. Its been amazing.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Budgeted around 45000 for the year. Looks like being 70000-75000. We are getting 180 on Mondays.

It’s like a parallel universe.
    Forum needs more banter.

Membership would have been closed a couple of months back but renewals are on now so we figured we would wait and see what the attrition rate was.

We have picked up about 70 intermediate (18-35yo) members this year. Traditionally the hardest nut to crack.
    Forum needs more banter.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Membership would have been closed a couple of months back but renewals are on now so we figured we would wait and see what the attrition rate was.

We have picked up about 70 intermediate (18-35yo) members this year. Traditionally the hardest nut to crack.
    Thats awesome, well done. I suggest its the new management regime that has lead to this.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Thats awesome, well done. I suggest its the new management regime that has lead to this.
    I told the president one afternoon that only one thing had changed at the club so that must be why. Lucky he has a sense of humour.
    Forum needs more banter.

South Australia
    Is club champs (matchplay format) allowed to go ahead? I would personally say NO.

I'm supposed to be caddying for a mate this weekend and his club has said "all good"
    He got into a heated argument with the committee.

Would love your guys opinions!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    South Australia
    Is club champs (matchplay format) allowed to go ahead? I would personally say NO.

I'm supposed to be caddying for a mate this weekend and his club has said "all good"

We held our Matchplay Champs (and stroke play Champs) recently without issue. Unless there is a specific SA element I am not aware of, I don't see the problem?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    We held our Matchplay Champs (and stroke play Champs) recently without issue. Unless there is a specific SA element I am not aware of, I don't see the problem?
    They are only just easing restrictions after their MASSIVE outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    There's supposed to be no competitive sport until at least Dec 1.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Golf during Covid is fine as long as there are no crowds..............

Or after golf Pizzas.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    South Australia

This is an interesting one as the intent of no competitive sport is about keeping score and assumed a largish group of people.
    Match play is about as competitive as you can get in Golf but no scores are officially recorded during a round.
    An end result is recorded though.

My own opinion on the matter is: If Comp play is a no then Match Play is also a no.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 24th November 2020 at 03:10 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

My club considers matchplay as comp and had suspended the current single and 4ball matchplay knockout series
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

As I read it ( and this is about as stupid as it gets ) You can play golf recreationally at a park not at a course , now most parks have signs NO GOLF PRACTICE ALLOWED
    No doubt practising your 3 iron in to the BBQ at the end of the park is bound to impress people

Thread Information