Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I played golf yesterday with a registered nurse who has worked in the ICU area for the coronavirus. Fortunately, I have downloaded the COVIDSafe app, which doesn't work properly on iPhones.
    Last edited by AndyP; 12th May 2020 at 10:42 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    Was there a rcorded case of someone getting Covid from playing golf during this whole shit show? if not then surely the Victorians will feel hard done by
    That reasoning works with your username. Good job.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Seriously how long is the chopped pool noodle in the hole BS going to last or is this the new norm?

What about when the tour resumes?

That would do there head in.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I played golf yesterday with a registered nurse who has worked in the ICU area for the coronavirus. Fortunately, I have downloaded the COVIDSafe app, which doesn't work properly on iPhones.
    Hope she didn't handle your balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Hope she didn't handle your balls.
    HE only grabbed one of my balls once.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Seriously how long is the chopped pool noodle in the hole BS going to last or is this the new norm
    I expect that this will be one of the new norms. There will probably be some differences between amatuer golf and the pros, depending on local resources.Will be interesting to see what will happen with bunker play long term.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    Was there a rcorded case of someone getting Covid from playing golf during this whole shit show? if not then surely the Victorians will feel hard done by
    Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    What many people dont appreciate is that the States made very fast decisions during this crisis. Often within a few hours of the federal govts policy announcements. There is no way state health officers could have agonised over fors and against of every single activity, as that would have taken months and Joe public would be constantly whining that govt is tpo slow. What they did was great, and the overall impact has worked. Isolating a single activity and saying they got that wrong doesnt prove anything.
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    That reasoning works with your username. Good job.
    Small snort recorded

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Seriously how long is the chopped pool noodle in the hole BS going to last or is this the new norm?

What about when the tour resumes?

That would do there head in.
    Leaving the flag in on short putts is doing my head in. I just can't convince myself that hitting my 3 foot putt firmly into the middle of the hole won't result in striking the flag hard and jumping out again. Therefore I keep hitting bad short putts due to decelerating. So I want the flag out again.

But, it'll stay in until one of three things happen (or all of them). The least likely is that a vaccine is discovered quickly, and everything returns to normal. Otherwise, at some point some scientists will conclude that they were wrong in the first place to say that the virus can be caught from outdoor surfaces such as flagsticks. The most likely scenario is the one where the virus dies because nobody in Australia has it any longer. Qld, SA and WA are virtually virus free, and NSW had zero cases today. So there is a chance this one might come true before the others.

At least we are back in fours from Friday, and we think we'll we allowed to buy a "takeaway" beer and drink it at outdoor tables and chairs after the game.

The flagstick issue will be an interesting one for the pro game, as will the bunker rakes. Maybe they'll have a course volunteer at every green who is the only person who handles flagsticks and bunker rakes.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I had a putt, at a slow speed, hit the pin dead centre and come back at me last week.

On the back 9 a chip hit the pin, landed on the pool noodle and bounced out.

Up until that point I didn’t have any issues; I think I’ll still be pulling the flag when given the chance.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I had a putt, at a slow speed, hit the pin dead centre and come back at me last week.

On the back 9 a chip hit the pin, landed on the pool noodle and bounced out.

Up until that point I didn’t have any issues; I think I’ll still be pulling the flag when given the chance.
    Dude I played with the other day said the local rule was: "if it hit the flag pole or noodle and bounced out it was considered holed"
    Last edited by MAZA68; 12th May 2020 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Dude I played with the other day said the local rule was: "if it hit the flag pole or noodle and came bounced out it was considered holed"
    That would have helped, a lot. We were playing split 6s and had 18 points on the first occurrence, the putt dropping would have got me 12 of them.

I was reading that in NZ they have turned the cups upside down, so that if you hit the cup it was considered holed...

17.All pins / flagsticks are to be removed from the course and we suggest the hole is cut in the centre of the green. The cup should be slightly raised or placed upside down

One of the courses here has pieces of PVC pipe sticking up out of the holes, all you have to do is hit that for it to be considered holed. Other courses have the pool noodles, haven't had any issues with them or the flagsticks, yet anyway. I'd like to think common sense would prevail in the case of a ball bouncing out.

They did that initially at fox hills in Sydney, scores were in the high 40’s.

I played a social 9 there, you just smack it at the hole.

Alcohol ban on courses mmmmmm
    all those sprays are >70%

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

My playing partner had a HIO reject off the flag on 16 (playing 150m) on Tuesday. He started to grumble about the flag being in and the noodle. I pointed out that unless he was Tiger or Phil, no one was going to tend the flag for him off the tee anyway and 2) it never touched the Noodle, so shut up and enjoy the Birdie! I have seen a few reject off the noodle, Even got asked if it counted by the group behind. But I reckon more edge putts are going in then previously. Not sure why yet?

Blog Entries

Slam dunked a 9w off the tee onto the hard plastic insert a few weeks ago and watched it bounce back 1.5m. (2mm of pitch mark dead online.)

It would have been a spectacular three-a-half, after a visit to Lake Magnet.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

I had a putt, at a slow speed, hit the pin dead centre and come back at me last week. On the back 9 a chip hit the pin, landed on the pool noodle and bounced out. Up until that point I didn’t have any issues; I think I’ll still be pulling the flag when given the chance.
    Thank Christ its happened to someone else.We have cheap flags. The ball bounces off them if it hits at a hiking speed.And balls going into the hole, hitting the noodle and bouncing out... Yep, at least 3 or 4 times.So now I am afraid to putt aggressively and my stroke has gone to shit.I can't wait to remove the flag once permitted

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Thank Christ its happened to someone else.We have cheap flags. The ball bounces off them if it hits at a hiking speed.And balls going into the hole, hitting the noodle and bouncing out... Yep, at least 3 or 4 times.So now I am afraid to putt aggressively and my stroke has gone to shit.I can't wait to remove the flag once permitted
    Cheap flags as well. Afterwards, we looked at it was leaning every so slightly towards me, which explained it. Still, there was nothing I could have done with the flag.

I’m happy to be golfing during these times , and still rehabbing a shoulder injury, so I’m not too concerned with score. The money game is a different story though, especially since we carried over another hole and I ended up losing 30 bits on the 6th two holes later.

I haven't seen a bounce out from a noodle yet. I guess the depth of the noodle would make a difference.

Cheap flags as well. Afterwards, we looked at it was leaning every so slightly towards me, which explained it. Still, there was nothing I could have done with the flag. I’m happy to be golfing during these times , and still rehabbing a shoulder injury, so I’m not too concerned with score. The money game is a different story though, especially since we carried over another hole and I ended up losing 30 bits on the 6th two holes later.
    How do you lose 30 bits if you’re the only bloke with any idea about WTF is going on with them?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    I can't wait to remove the flag once permitted
    I hope the flags stay in forever, leave the noodle if they want as well.

I don't want to go back to one in/one out, one who wants it in for above 6ft but not under and the more annoying prat who varies what he wants but only after you have walked away from the flag.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

You private club boys must have nice flags.

My normal 4some is all out inside 10 foot or so. And we have all been robbed by the flags in recent weeks.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    I don't want to go back to one in/one out, one who wants it in for above 6ft but not under and the more annoying prat who varies what he wants but only after you have walked away from the flag.
    Once its out, it stays out. If said annoying prat wants it put back in, let him know he is free to come and get it. Or if you know he will ask just toss it on the ground as far away as possible.This is the same guy who lines up the aiming line on every putt too right?

One of my US friends club in California has just opened with these installed on their flagsticks which gets around the foam causing the ball to bounce out of the hole.

https://golfballezlyft.com/

Thread Information