Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Until we need someone to pick all our fruit.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk
    In theory, all the people who queued outside Centrelink last week should be available. And all the international students complaining about slipping through the handout cracks should be jumping at the chance.

Of course, it would also help if the wages were remotely decent for that work, but paying a bit more never seems to be an option.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    In theory, all the people who queued outside Centrelink last week should be available. And all the international students complaining about slipping through the handout cracks should be jumping at the chance.

Of course, it would also help if the wages were remotely decent for that work, but paying a bit more never seems to be an option.
    As if anyone of those would pick fruit, It's beneath them to do that when they can just get a hand out from the gubberment.
    Migrant workers are just about the only ones that will do the work as it's not beneath them to have a job no matter what it is.

Paying more is not an option when there is stuff all margin most of the time as a grower when your getting screwed up the chain by some middle man who in turn is getting screwed by the Supermarkets.
    I've worked on blocks and picked fruit and have friends on Blocks and the Land. I wouldn't want to do what they do to earn a living.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    As if anyone of those would pick fruit, It's beneath them to do that when they can just get a hand out from the gubberment.Migrant workers are just about the only ones that will do the work as it's not beneath them to have a job no matter what it is.Paying more is not an option when there is stuff all margin most of the time as a grower when your getting screwed up the chain by some middle man who in turn is getting screwed by the Supermarkets.I've worked on blocks and picked fruit and have friends on Blocks and the Land. I wouldn't want to do what they do to earn a living.
    You reckon those at Centrelink last week are dole bludgers and don’t want to work?

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    You reckon those at Centrelink last week are dole bludgers and don’t want to work?
    I bet they would if they HAD to. But they don't.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    As if anyone of those would pick fruit, It's beneath them to do that when they can just get a hand out from the gubberment.
    Migrant workers are just about the only ones that will do the work as it's not beneath them to have a job no matter what it is.

Paying more is not an option when there is stuff all margin most of the time as a grower when your getting screwed up the chain by some middle man who in turn is getting screwed by the Supermarkets.
    I've worked on blocks and picked fruit and have friends on Blocks and the Land. I wouldn't want to do what they do to earn a living.
    Yep. I've picked fruit and most of it is contract and most on contract don't get to minimum wage. I was making about $11 or $12 an hour picking oranges and that was pretty normal. Most backpackers are just trying to extend their stay in Australia and the money isn't the priority. Most Aussies can't get work elsewhere so they try the fruit picking but don't hang around long. It's hard labour and I basically just crashed at the end of each day. The farmers can't pay more because they are already competing with overseas workers getting $5 a day. They're knocking down trees because they can't sell their fruit yet supermarkets are full of orange juice from Brazil.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Most of the people I know that have been in contact with centrelink just lost their jobs. Every one of them was full time or ran their own business, but have had to stop working due to the pandemic. Tarred a lot of people with the same brush there.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
    Most of the people I know that have been in contact with centrelink just lost their jobs. Every one of them was full time or ran their own business, but have had to stop working due to the pandemic. Tarred a lot of people with the same brush there.
    So how many people on the current payment will voluntarily go pick fruit once we kick all the back packers out?

So how many people on the current payment will voluntarily go pick fruit once we kick all the back packers out?
    No one can answer that question, my point is that just because people were at centrelink applying for the payments they are well and truly entitled to doesn't make them a dole bludger. Some of us are fortunate to still be working, the majority of people aren't in the same boat. I had friends applying for Coles, Dominos, Call Centres and almost anything else you could think of. People want to work, there's just not a great deal of options in the current climate.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

No one can answer that question, my point is that just because people were at centrelink applying for the payments they are well and truly entitled to doesn't make them a dole bludger. Some of us are fortunate to still be working, the majority of people aren't in the same boat. I had friends applying for Coles, Dominos, Call Centres and almost anything else you could think of. People want to work, there's just not a great deal of options in the current climate.
    But who called anyone a dole bludger?

But who called anyone a dole bludger?
    You inferred it when replying to 3PP who referenced those who were at centrelink last week applying for payments.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

You inferred it when replying to 3PP who referenced those who were at centrelink last week applying for payments.
    Thats a laugh if thats what you took from my reply.

Thats a laugh if thats what you took from my reply.
    "I bet they'd work if they HAD to"

For me, that implies that those people don't really want to work, even though a lot of them just lost their jobs or own businesses. But if that's me missing the mark, then so be it.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

"I bet they'd work if they HAD to"

For me, that implies that those people don't really want to work, even though a lot of them just lost their jobs or own businesses. But if that's me missing the mark, then so be it.
    No, it implies they wouldnt pick fruit, as they get more money from the handout vs the low wages picking fruit hachy outlined in his post.

Which then also implies kicking out backpackers may also have a knock on effect to food pricing.

No, it implies they wouldnt pick fruit, as they get more money from the handout vs the low wages picking fruit hachy outlined in his post.

Which then also implies kicking out backpackers may also have a knock on effect to food pricing.
    Fair enough then, consider it a misunderstanding.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

Fair enough then, consider it a misunderstanding.
    It's ok, just blame 3pp, he's usually at fault.

The good news is he should be back in his own little world by now.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

What’s the issue with backpackers anyway? Boomers on cruise ships are the biggest single group responsible for the spread. If anything we need to ban cruises and boomers, not backpackers.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

It's ok, just blame 3pp, he's usually at fault.

The good news is he should be back in his own little world by now.
    I haven’t spread anything!

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I haven’t spread anything!
    With the amount of shore leave you've taken in your time, that's a big call to make.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Before Staminade came along I would lick the underside of public toilet seats for an energy boost, added bonus that I never had any virus or flu problems henceforth.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    What’s the issue with backpackers anyway? Boomers on cruise ships are the biggest single group responsible for the spread. If anything we need to ban cruises and boomers, not backpackers.
    If the Australian government gives the flag of convenience cruise industry any sort of bailout, it's a disgrace.Let Bermuda and Liberia bail them out

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Before Staminade came along I would lick the underside of public toilet seats for an energy boost, added bonus that I never had any virus or flu problems henceforth.
    That statement would not surprise anyone who knows you if it turns out to be true

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    I feel the same way after sniffing copious amounts of gear off toilet cisterns....

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Come on Ron. Stop spoiling our fun.

Everybody hates backpackers, except when we want their money or cheap labour. They have way too fun, drink all our beer, pick up our women and get our pubs blacklisted when they get into fights. Then they have rooftop parties and claim they are complying with the rules because all the party goers live in the household. They make great scapegoats.

As for Boomers, everybody under a certain age hates them, except when we want their money (which is all the time). They have way too much fun, drink all our coffee, take up all our parking spots and all the good poker machines at the RSL. They make great scapegoats as well.

You can't blame them for what happened after somebody let them off the cruise ship. The ones who have the virus are suffering enough. From what I've read, even the mild symptoms are actually pretty unpleasant.

Maybe we can blame the fruit pickers, but personally I prefer to blame 3puttpete.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

Nothing wrong with backpackers, boomers or cruise ships.
    The issue is the tards that let the cruise ship dock, catch taxis, planes, sit around airports etc. spreading it around Australia. Bet those people aren't held accountable
    under Biosecurity Laws.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Send the backpackers to clean the cruise ships instead?

Thread Information