Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    It is fear of the spread of the virus at such a rapid rate that our medical care infrastructure cannot handle it.
    This

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    looks like my collection, although they would be Head Prestige and Dunlop racquets, not Babs

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I just wanted to put some info out there that may be useful to you guys.

For context I have a senior management role in a very large healthcare company and have been involved for over a month in helping manage our response to COVID-19. I'm also a pretty non-alarmist kind of guy (I even spent a month travelling Vietnam while it was on the blacklist during the SARS outbreak). I'm not an infectious disease expert, but I know what I'm talking about with this thing. If the spread can be contained reasonably well over the next 2 months, generally speaking it'll be quite manageable afterwards.

You do not need to panic buy anything, especially toilet paper, but you really do need to follow some simple advise that I'll outline here. Most importantly, you need to take this seriously. This virus is not ****ing around. It's a very nasty combination of highly contagious and high mortality rate, the worst since the Spanish Flu. It is many, many times more deadly than the flu and far more easily transmitted. The infection rates are roughly the same for all age brackets but the mortality rates (death rates) differ dramatically. For young, otherwise healthy people the mortality rate is low, but it increases dramatically from there. These are the mortality rates by age:
    40: 0.2%
    40-49: 0.4%
    50-59: 1.3%
    60-69: 3.6%
    70-79: 8%
    80+: 14.8%

In short, if you're young and healthy and get it you'll probably be fine, but if you give it to your grandmother there's a 1-in-7 chance you'll kill her. That's why this thing is a problem and why containing the spread (flattening the infection curve) is so important. The issue isn't you getting it because you'll die, it's you getting it and giving it to 10, 50, 100 other people and a percentage of them dying. So don't be a dick, try to minimise the chance of getting it yourself so you don't go killing other people.

If you want good evidenced based information and advice, stick to government health websites and certainly ignore Facebook. Stick to things like the NSW Health info page https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infect...ronavirus.aspx

Here's my general advice:

You don't need to go building a bunker in your backyard. This isn't going to end the planet as we know it. Just follow some basic steps to minimise your change of getting this thing.
    1. Basic hand hygiene is key - wash them often and use hand sanitizer if you can have it. The virus lives on hard surfaces for several days, which is why hand hygiene is so important.
    2. Try not to touch your face (it's harder than it sounds)
    3. Avoid large gatherings of people. This means concerts, sporting events etc too. I know footy season is about to start but there's no way in hell I'd be going to a game. Just watch it on TV.
    4. Avoid domestic and especially international travel wherever possible, this means flights, cruises etc. If you have an overseas trip planned, cancel it. If you really have to travel, see points 1, 2 & 3
    5. If you have new onset of any cold/flu like symptoms, ie any of cough, sore throat, nasal congestion, aches, shortness of breath etc, quarantine yourself at home and call your doctor. They may or may not send you for a test (hopefully they do). I realise this may also depend on your employer's policy on paid leave for this kind of thing, but we're treating all of these symptoms as potential COVID-19 here until proven otherwise. Going into work with what you think is a cold and infecting a bunch of workmates is a really bad idea. Stay home for 14 days or until you're no longer symptomatic or are cleared by a negative test.
    6. Social distancing - sounds stupid but it's not. 1.5m is considered the safe distance from someone with known or suspected COVID-19. Even if quarantining at home with your family as long as you stay 1.5m away from the others in your family until given the all clear you should be fine. This is why going to the F1 or the footy is such a bad idea. If nothing else there's plenty of open space on a golf course so go there instead.

Again the main themes here are that there's no need to panic over this virus, but it's on all of us to try and minimise the spread so follow the advice above and you'll mostly be in the clear.

The advice on this is rapidly evolving so it's also important to regularly check reputable government health sources (again, not Facebook), as that's even better than a random bloke posting on a golf forum under a pseudonym that most of you have never met.

Cheers

Ron
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I just wanted to put some info out there that may be useful to you guys.For context I have a senior management role in a very large healthcare company and have been involved for over a month in helping manage our response to COVID-19. I'm also a pretty non-alarmist kind of guy (I even spent a month travelling Vietnam while it was on the blacklist during the SARS outbreak). I'm not an infectious disease expert, but I know what I'm talking about with this thing. If the spread can be contained reasonably well over the next 2 months, generally speaking it'll be quite manageable afterwards.You do not need to panic buy anything, especially toilet paper, but you really do need to follow some simple advise that I'll outline here. Most importantly, you need to take this seriously. This virus is not ****ing around. It's a very nasty combination of highly contagious and high mortality rate, the worst since the Spanish Flu. It is many, many times more deadly than the flu and far more easily transmitted. The infection rates are roughly the same for all age brackets but the mortality rates (death rates) differ dramatically. For young, otherwise healthy people the mortality rate is low, but it increases dramatically from there. These are the mortality rates by age:40: 0.2%40-49: 0.4%50-59: 1.3%60-69: 3.6%70-79: 8%80+: 14.8%In short, if you're young and healthy and get it you'll probably be fine, but if you give it to your grandmother there's a 1-in-7 chance you'll kill her. That's why this thing is a problem and why containing the spread (flattening the infection curve) is so important. The issue isn't you getting it because you'll die, it's you getting it and giving it to 10, 50, 100 other people and a percentage of them dying. So don't be a dick, try to minimise the chance of getting it yourself so you don't go killing other people.If you want good evidenced based information and advice, stick to government health websites and certainly ignore Facebook. Stick to things like the NSW Health info page https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infect...ronavirus.aspxHere's my general advice:You don't need to go building a bunker in your backyard. This isn't going to end the planet as we know it. Just follow some basic steps to minimise your change of getting this thing.1. Basic hand hygiene is key - wash them often and use hand sanitizer if you can have it. The virus lives on hard surfaces for several days, which is why hand hygiene is so important.2. Try not to touch your face (it's harder than it sounds)3. Avoid large gatherings of people. This means concerts, sporting events etc too. I know footy season is about to start but there's no way in hell I'd be going to a game. Just watch it on TV.4. Avoid domestic and especially international travel wherever possible, this means flights, cruises etc. If you have an overseas trip planned, cancel it. If you really have to travel, see points 1, 2 & 35. If you have new onset of any cold/flu like symptoms, ie any of cough, sore throat, nasal congestion, aches, shortness of breath etc, quarantine yourself at home and call your doctor. They may or may not send you for a test (hopefully they do). I realise this may also depend on your employer's policy on paid leave for this kind of thing, but we're treating all of these symptoms as potential COVID-19 here until proven otherwise. Going into work with what you think is a cold and infecting a bunch of workmates is a really bad idea. Stay home for 14 days or until you're no longer symptomatic or are cleared by a negative test.6. Social distancing - sounds stupid but it's not. 1.5m is considered the safe distance from someone with known or suspected COVID-19. Even if quarantining at home with your family as long as you stay 1.5m away from the others in your family until given the all clear you should be fine. This is why going to the F1 or the footy is such a bad idea. If nothing else there's plenty of open space on a golf course so go there instead.Again the main themes here are that there's no need to panic over this virus, but it's on all of us to try and minimise the spread so follow the advice above and you'll mostly be in the clear.The advice on this is rapidly evolving so it's also important to regularly check reputable government health sources (again, not Facebook), as that's even better than a random bloke posting on a golf forum under a pseudonym that most of you have never met.CheersRon
    Thank you

Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I just wanted to put some info out there that may be useful to you guys.

For context I have a senior management role in a very large healthcare company and have been involved for over a month in helping manage our response to COVID-19. I'm also a pretty non-alarmist kind of guy (I even spent a month travelling Vietnam while it was on the blacklist during the SARS outbreak). I'm not an infectious disease expert, but I know what I'm talking about with this thing. If the spread can be contained reasonably well over the next 2 months, generally speaking it'll be quite manageable afterwards.

You do not need to panic buy anything, especially toilet paper, but you really do need to follow some simple advise that I'll outline here. Most importantly, you need to take this seriously. This virus is not ****ing around. It's a very nasty combination of highly contagious and high mortality rate, the worst since the Spanish Flu. It is many, many times more deadly than the flu and far more easily transmitted. The infection rates are roughly the same for all age brackets but the mortality rates (death rates) differ dramatically. For young, otherwise healthy people the mortality rate is low, but it increases dramatically from there. These are the mortality rates by age:
    40: 0.2%
    40-49: 0.4%
    50-59: 1.3%
    60-69: 3.6%
    70-79: 8%
    80+: 14.8%

In short, if you're young and healthy and get it you'll probably be fine, but if you give it to your grandmother there's a 1-in-7 chance you'll kill her. That's why this thing is a problem and why containing the spread (flattening the infection curve) is so important. The issue isn't you getting it because you'll die, it's you getting it and giving it to 10, 50, 100 other people and a percentage of them dying. So don't be a dick, try to minimise the chance of getting it yourself so you don't go killing other people.

If you want good evidenced based information and advice, stick to government health websites and certainly ignore Facebook. Stick to things like the NSW Health info page https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infect...ronavirus.aspx

Here's my general advice:

You don't need to go building a bunker in your backyard. This isn't going to end the planet as we know it. Just follow some basic steps to minimise your change of getting this thing.
    1. Basic hand hygiene is key - wash them often and use hand sanitizer if you can have it. The virus lives on hard surfaces for several days, which is why hand hygiene is so important.
    2. Try not to touch your face (it's harder than it sounds)
    3. Avoid large gatherings of people. This means concerts, sporting events etc too. I know footy season is about to start but there's no way in hell I'd be going to a game. Just watch it on TV.
    4. Avoid domestic and especially international travel wherever possible, this means flights, cruises etc. If you have an overseas trip planned, cancel it. If you really have to travel, see points 1, 2 & 3
    5. If you have new onset of any cold/flu like symptoms, ie any of cough, sore throat, nasal congestion, aches, shortness of breath etc, quarantine yourself at home and call your doctor. They may or may not send you for a test (hopefully they do). I realise this may also depend on your employer's policy on paid leave for this kind of thing, but we're treating all of these symptoms as potential COVID-19 here until proven otherwise. Going into work with what you think is a cold and infecting a bunch of workmates is a really bad idea. Stay home for 14 days or until you're no longer symptomatic or are cleared by a negative test.
    6. Social distancing - sounds stupid but it's not. 1.5m is considered the safe distance from someone with known or suspected COVID-19. Even if quarantining at home with your family as long as you stay 1.5m away from the others in your family until given the all clear you should be fine. This is why going to the F1 or the footy is such a bad idea. If nothing else there's plenty of open space on a golf course so go there instead.

Again the main themes here are that there's no need to panic over this virus, but it's on all of us to try and minimise the spread so follow the advice above and you'll mostly be in the clear.

The advice on this is rapidly evolving so it's also important to regularly check reputable government health sources (again, not Facebook), as that's even better than a random bloke posting on a golf forum under a pseudonym that most of you have never met.

Cheers

Ron
    And how much toilet paper is required??

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Your just showing off!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Considering they'll be dehydrated and not eating solids, 4 sheets a day will be more than enough.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I've had emails from Basketball organisations telling us they are monitoring events.I guess it is the start of more to come as well.I am heavily involved in junior basketball,with lots of grandparents attending games at most stadiums,it will only be a matter of time before they pause all competition

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sydney Comets association games going ahead tomorrow!

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I saw people at Tweed Heads mall carrying it like a newborn yesterday.I guess they needed to crap

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

PGA Tour events cancelled
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

As strange as it may seem to some.
    Cancelling/postponing has also come to the Augmented Reality Gaming community with one of the world wide monthly rolling events in Pokemon Go cancelled/postponed this weekend.
    These events are deigned to have groups of people gather in high density playing areas to catch everything of a certain type for 3hrs straight.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Basketball Victoria has postponed all games until further notice.Also,most associations have postponed their domestic season's,and all training has been postponed as well.Thats alot of kids who won't be going to Maccas this weekend

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I've been waiting for an anti-vaxxer spokesperson to poke their head above the ground (or more appropriately to come down from the tree house) and tell us how to live our lives according to their principles.

I've been disappointed so far, and now Ron Burgundy tells me I can't depend upon facebook. Can I depend upon Andrew Bolt's column last week? What about twitter? They think its all either Scotty From Marketings fault or Donald Trump's fault.

And I've just read that the Royal Easter Show has been cancelled.

Just as well the League is still on (so far).
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

ah bugger.... Mandurah Crab Fest and West Coast Chick Fest are both cancelled... was looking forward to them....

Vegan Expo cancelled?.... meh.

Attached Images

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I've been waiting for an anti-vaxxer spokesperson to poke their head above the ground (or more appropriately to come down from the tree house) and tell us how to live our lives according to their principles.

I've been disappointed so far, and now Ron Burgundy tells me I can't depend upon facebook. Can I depend upon Andrew Bolt's column last week? What about twitter? They think its all either Scotty From Marketings fault or Donald Trump's fault.

And I've just read that the Royal Easter Show has been cancelled.

Just as well the League is still on (so far).
    Just wear a condom and you will be ok.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

It is fear of the spread of the virus at such a rapid rate that our medical care infrastructure cannot handle it.
    Bingo.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Next is any event that draws more than 500 prople is to be cancelled by law.
    Last edited by Ferrins; 13th March 2020 at 06:45 PM.

SANFL just cancelled. Waiting AFL?
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

We have a junior Aussie Rules match this weekend, but it looks pretty doubtful that the season will actually start two weeks after.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Interested to see how long this holds up.

"Sick people should not feel under pressure for financial reasons to go to work, therefore special paid leave for casuals should be an industrial standard adopted by all employers in all industries until the COVID-19 crisis passes," SDA national secretary Gerard Dwyer said.

"No Australian should be forced to choose between a pay cheque to feed their family and endangering fellow workers and members of the community."

When’s Ozgolf shutting down?

Member Club Pro

If beer festivals start to get cancelled, there will be trouble.
    One was cancelled in Canberra this weekend... and I wouldn't be rushing to by GABS tickets which is a calender highlight.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    When’s Ozgolf shutting down?
    OZgolf will not be closing down and will continue to operate during this COVID-19 pandemic. However, we have the following recommendations:
    • Regularly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20s
    • Sanitise your keyboard and mouse daily
    • Maintain a distance of 1.5m from your playing partners at all times
    • Ensure your ka-kaa is done in a direction away from your playing partners, and preferably downwind, to avoid saliva contacting them
    • Drivers are difficult to sanitise, so it is safer to buy a new one after every round

Thread Information