Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Fixed ball position for all clubs

Went to see a pro, and the first thing he did was to fix my grips. my right hand tends to be on the strong side, so he has given me pointers and drills to get use to a more neutral right hand grip which has been bloody awful feeling right now.
    One thing I noticed was my short irons are going much higher than before, and no more book draw/hook. But when trying the same grip and swing on the longer irons, I seem to have confusion with hand position and ball positioning on address which I assume will be covered in the next lesson.

While practicing my grip in front of the TV, I came across Jack Nicklaus video on his single position ball placement for all swing

Looking into it a little more, I noticed a few other people seem to be promoting the same idea... Greg Norman was also one of them.

I am just trying to see if anyone has changed to/tried this idea before, and what was the outcome?

seems attractive enough to keep things simple on setting up.

There's something similar in a Jack Nicklaus book I have. I tend to play the ball from the same position for all clubs (although a bit further forward for driver). Just something I've always done. I'm not overly good though (8-9 HC) so don't follow my lead.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Brad Hughes says similar, but he rather points out that the stance gets wider as the clubs get longer giving the illusion of a changed ball position.

Steve Bann too from memory in his 5 fundamentals of impact series.

Well... testing it out on the range.
    Seems to work well with the shorter irons going up straight to 30m height compare to my previous low 20s.

Figuring out the longer irons and hybrid now

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I play the ball in the forward position for my irons,but my wedges I play slightly forward of centre

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Major Winner

Angle of attack and if your a sweeper or digger may influence what position is best? I may be completely off base though.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

The issue is I'm a sweeper..... it seems I need to have a forward shift to "strike the ball... now feels like it is just a clean sweep eith bruised grass only

OK, noted with the shorter irons 9 & PW, I have a pronounced draw to my ball flight, 6-8 was alot straighter, and all with very noticable ball flights; getting used to the new grip, and have reduced the amount of pulled hooks shots I suffered previously.

However, with the longer clubs, 4-5 irons and 3 wood i find that it feels too far forward and I am reaching out to it; makes me feel like I am hitting it down at it from outside in. moving it back more center seems to have improved my strike but ball flight is not as high; no issue with my hybrid.

using the same spot seems to suit my driver though

I'm definitely no expert but I tend to just move the ball position back towards the middle of my stance the shorter the clubs get. So inside left heel for the driver and woods, slightly more towards the middle for longer irons and closer to the middle for shorter irons. It's not really something I've done deliberately, just what feels most comfortable. Last game my irons all went straight as an arrow.

I tend to slice the woods though, so thinking next game just using a 3-iron where I'd normally go for a wood just to keep it straight. For some reason I find it easier to hit them straight.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Went to see a pro, and the first thing he did was to fix my grips. my right hand tends to be on the strong side, so he has given me pointers and drills to get use to a more neutral right hand grip which has been bloody awful feeling right now.
    One thing I noticed was my short irons are going much higher than before, and no more book draw/hook. But when trying the same grip and swing on the longer irons, I seem to have confusion with hand position and ball positioning on address which I assume will be covered in the next lesson.

While practicing my grip in front of the TV, I came across Jack Nicklaus video on his single position ball placement for all swing

Looking into it a little more, I noticed a few other people seem to be promoting the same idea... Greg Norman was also one of them.

I am just trying to see if anyone has changed to/tried this idea before, and what was the outcome?

seems attractive enough to keep things simple on setting up.
    Have you thought of buying a new putter to fix this??

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Have you thought of buying a new putter to fix this??
    dont be silly.... a new putter wont fix this....

a new driver is needed!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I hit my all my shots from the centre of my stance. Though the ball position may creep forward if I am trying to hit a particular type of shot and flight. I am generally a sweeper, so shallow angle of attack. The progressively forward method is usually suited to golfers who have an aggressive move through the ball (usually via strong leg drive) and have a steep angle of attack. The key is to know where the bottom of your swing is on each club. Then apply the ball flight rules to understand the resultant ball flight options/outcomes. A Hoop is handy for understanding the flight outcomes.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I hit my all my shots from the centre of my stance. Though the ball position may creep forward if I am trying to hit a particular type of shot and flight. I am generally a sweeper, so shallow angle of attack. The progressively forward method is usually suited to golfers who have an aggressive move through the ball (usually via strong leg drive) and have a steep angle of attack. The key is to know where the bottom of your swing is on each club. Then apply the ball flight rules to understand the resultant ball flight options/outcomes. A Hoop is handy for understanding the flight outcomes.
    That's me apart from the progressive forward position. I find I hit more fat shots if I creep forward being a digger. Center or slight back of center works for me.
    Agreed about learning where the bottom position of your swing is.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    That's me apart from the progressive forward position. I find I hit more fat shots if I creep forward being a digger. Center or slight back of center works for me.
    Agreed about learning where the bottom position of your swing is.
    Centre to back of centre for me as well. Have found that helps me hit the particular shape of shot I like to see, and also vary trajectory. Finding your low point is key though, find that, then you'll be able to work out the best ball position for you.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

yeah, I think having it that far ahead of me maybe too much... next session will try more center...

I have tried one video I have seen suggested 1 iron club head length from inside left foot.... might have to increase that to 2 and see if it improves the ball striking.

Thread Information