Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Alternatively, a local rule for PGA tour events limiting maximum clubs is 7 (or even 5), under the same umbrella as tour only local rules for line-of-site relief for marquis/signage/TV towers, or not allowed to change of ball models mid-round.

Club golfers and manufacturers are unaffected, and the best in the world will have to start thinking about their shots, rather than just monotonous point-and-swing robots with a club for every possible distance.
    I'm surprised the half-set fanatics haven't picked up on this.

Looking at the Augusta scorecard (excluding par 3s), a 300 yard drive will leave them with 50 to 275 yards to the pin on 14 holes.
    Currently, pros can choose from 12 clubs to cover the required distance.
    Restrict them to a half-set, and they are left with 5 clubs to cover 50 to 275 yards.

That will bring the strategy back into the game, with WITB, shot planning and execution.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    I agree with a Jim. Age old debate that started with Tiger primarily, but apart from lengthening a few courses nothing has changed.Same debate, different century.
    They had the same debate 100+ years ago when the feathery was replaced with the gutta percha.I dont know what the solution is. Any single one mentioned already is not the answer alone. Sadly golf missed the boat by allowing metal woods, baseball and cricket fixed that quickly.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Could making the putter the shortest club in the bag help the distance game??? Just wanted to throw that in the mix lol!!!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    It’s got to be a combination. COR/MOI for driversCompression/spin for balls. Occasionally playing persimmons and balatas it’s easily understood that the spin and unforgiving nature of the clubs that makes the difference. Not sure it will get that far but manufacturers really should start thinking about how they’re going to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.
    I completely agree with this. It’s not really even about reducing distance necessarily. The longest drive ever on the PGA tour was done with persimmon and a wound ball. It’s about making the ball spin and the clubs less forgiving for the pros so there’s skill involved again. Driver used the be the hardest club to hit, now it’s the easiest. Good drivers are no longer rewarded to the same degree that they used to. A ball that spins rewards the best iron players too. Combining these two things will mean the best players can really separate themselves which is better to watch for everyone. So much better than 50 random pros hitting driver-wedge into everything and the winner solely being who has a hot putter that week. And who cares if it’s bifurcated. Most sports are. Doubt I can drive Louis Hamilton’s F1 car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    I'm surprised the half-set fanatics haven't picked up on this. Looking at the Augusta scorecard (excluding par 3s), a 300 yard drive will leave them with 50 to 275 yards to the pin on 14 holes. Currently, pros can choose from 12 clubs to cover the required distance. Restrict them to a half-set, and they are left with 5 clubs to cover 50 to 275 yards.That will bring the strategy back into the game, with WITB, shot planning and execution.
    The half set fanatics don’t care how many anyone carries. It’s only the 14 club mafia who concern themselves with another’s bag. The mechanic suggest this last year, a Euro tour event with 10 clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I completely agree with this. It’s not really even about reducing distance necessarily. The longest drive ever on the PGA tour was done with persimmon and a wound ball. It’s about making the ball spin and the clubs less forgiving for the pros so there’s skill involved again. Driver used the be the hardest club to hit, now it’s the easiest. Good drivers are no longer rewarded to the same degree that they used to. A ball that spins rewards the best iron players too. Combining these two things will mean the best players can really separate themselves which is better to watch for everyone. So much better than 50 random pros hitting driver-wedge into everything and the winner solely being who has a hot putter that week. And who cares if it’s bifurcated. Most sports are. Doubt I can drive Louis Hamilton’s F1 car.
    If the game is bifurcated it’s the amateurs who will be using distance limited equipment. The pro tours exist for the benefit of touring pros. They have little to no interest in what’s good for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    If the game is bifurcated it’s the amateurs who will be using distance limited equipment. The pro tours exist for the benefit of touring pros. They have little to no interest in what’s good for the game.
    Why do you assume this? In baseball it’s the pros who use distance limiting equipment and amateurs don’t.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Why do you assume this? In baseball it’s the pros who use distance limiting equipment and amateurs don’t.
    I have no confidence the pros will allow it. The governing bodies have a say over pro tours because the pros let them. The PGA Tour can choose to completely ignore the rules of golf.

Also, the players don’t own the MLB

I have no confidence the pros will allow it. The governing bodies have a say over pro tours because the pros let them. The PGA Tour can choose to completely ignore the rules of golf.
    That’s reasonable. The PGA tour could do whatever it wants and not be bound by the rules of golf. But the PGA tour is (mostly) a rubbish product that will hopefully soon be just a feeder tour for the PGL so who cares. And as the best players stand to benefit most from any changes and they’ll be the ones playing the PGL maybe bifurcation stands a chance.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

They did it in tennis, reduced the effect of the ball which brought back into the game elements that were disappearing in favour of raw power. The other thing with games like tennis and baseball is their field of play is a fixed dimension.

The whole reason out of control distance is bad for the game of golf is because our field of play is different and this difference is what makes it interesting and enjoyable.

How boring would it be if every hole was a set dimension, surface etc??

300 carry is where I would start-280 would make me happier, make a ball that is virtually impossible to hit that far and/or diabolically difficult to control.

Phil and DJ just prove how stupid/self centred pro golfers truly are. Golf is a game, just because you make money from it doesn’t mean you need to make the rules.

https://apple.news/A2veBGZ7aSjOIEI96nQz6yA
    DJ is self-centred because he said he didn’t want to read an 18 page email?

There’s a lot more to this than just distance listing equipment.

Pro baseball is extremely traditional for a start. There is also the safety aspect that comes into play.

In the minors and rec ball, cost would be a big factor. Wooden bats are expensive and can break quite easily. An aluminium bat can last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Didn't want to, or wasn't capable?
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Too zapped I’d say....

Nope. And be didnt go out of his way to tell anyone that.Its just as likely that he already agrees with it, and doesnt have any interest in the fine details. De chambeau on the other hand... haha. That article headline is really misleading.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 6th February 2020 at 06:52 PM.

That’s not what I said.

https://www.facebook.com/15827208386...9544/?vh=e&d=n

You said DJ proved how self-centred golfers were being and linked an article where he was quoted. I see nothing in there that leads me to believe he's "self centred". Please explain how these two relate.

Please try and keep your responses and/or links relevant to the topic. I don't see what Phil wanting to play on has to do with this. It's a separate argument, but anyone is his position would not wanted to have had to change flights, etc, to comeback to finish a round in a tournament they weren't going to win.

You need to be self-centred in golf; it's an individual sport.

You said DJ proved how self-centred golfers were being and linked an article where he was quoted. I see nothing in there that leads me to believe he's "self centred". Please explain how these two relate.

Please try and keep your responses and/or links relevant to the topic. I don't see what Phil wanting to play on has to do with this. It's a separate argument, but anyone is his position would not wanted to have had to change flights, etc, to comeback to finish a round in a tournament they weren't going to win.

You need to be self-centred in golf; it's an individual sport.

They’re perfectly relevant. Pro’s, the ones that make money off the game, only want what’s best for their pockets.

Golf is indeed an individual sport BUT the game is not. BOTH DJ and Phil, in that article, highlight the point I’m making. They don’t really care for ‘the-game’, Phil openly criticise and DJ just doesn’t give a sh!t.

There’s countless players that couldn’t give two sh!ts about the game and there’s plenty of topics where they should.

Of course Phil doesn’t want it rolled back. The change to solid core ball changed his career.

Default The distance debate

I like this:

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Nemo, I hope you are takin' the piss

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Nemo, I hope you are takin' the piss
    Me, never.....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    I like this:
    If they do that might as well f*** pro golf off. No one wants to watch the US Open week in week out.

Pro’s have too much input into the state of the game these days. What we do as amateurs has very little correlation to the pro tours.

...but anyone is his position would not wanted to have had to change flights, etc, to comeback to finish a round in a tournament they weren't going to win.

Just to clarify, Phil was leading and won the next day.

Thread Information