Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default New handicap system

To quote an infamous red head “please explain “ currently g a cap is 8
    Warragul slope is 125 so daily was 9 , when I looked up cap today my daily tomorrow is 6 . Scratch rating is 69 par is 71 . I can’t play to 8 or 9 so how the f ... k am I going to play 6 . Am I reading it wrong ? With an anchor of 5.4 am I going to be held to 8.4 ? What effect does this new shite have on 27 markers ? Lawn bowls is looking better every f n day at the moment

I must admit I'm not fully across the changes, but I think the scratch rating is what's killed you. I think the difference between par and scratch (2 for you) is subtracted from your daily. I'm surprised a course with a 125 slope rating has a 69 scratch rating.My GA handicap went from 7.9 to 8.5 (the 0.93 multiplier move), but daily hasn't changed from 9 (par 71, scratch 71, slope 122).

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    To quote an infamous red head “please explain “ currently g a cap is 8
    Warragul slope is 125 so daily was 9 , when I looked up cap today my daily tomorrow is 6 . Scratch rating is 69 par is 71 . I can’t play to 8 or 9 so how the f ... k am I going to play 6 . Am I reading it wrong ? With an anchor of 5.4 am I going to be held to 8.4 ? What effect does this new shite have on 27 markers ? Lawn bowls is looking better every f n day at the moment
    Your "played to" score going into golflink will be exactly the same. Previously you would have to shoot 38 off 8, to play to cap. Now you have to shoot 36 off 6 to play to cap. Both are the same amount of strokes.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

My handicap has gone up 0.4.

I'm still not all over it either, but the 'soft cap' comes in at 3 above your anchor, and at that point if you were to technically go up 0.6 of a shot by the numbers, then you only get 0.3 back. I guess to stop the major up and down moves. I don't agree. If you're playing bad, you need all the help you can get to make the game 'fun' and score some points. My view anyway.

My course tomorrow will be 76 scratch rating (+4) off the plates. Does that mean I get 4 on top of my handicap?? And no DSR unless this new PCC comes into it??

I don't agree with the 43 (7+ points better than handicap) extra reduction. I understand they are trying to stop massive scores winning big events by reducing you longer but if that's a net 7 better, you could play a good round ( I do it once every 20, having a couple under par when I somehow get it around the course) and it screws mt handicap for 20 rounds being for me a full shot (+2.5 to a 6.6 for example) meaning the good round reduces my handicap by 25% for 5 months. Ok it may only be one shot but it compounds. Then to hit me extra again for one decent round. BS. 19 shit games doesn't make up for 1 good one.

If they want to tackle the C grader who can play to 10, then scale the handicap reduction as it was under the old system being a larger drop for C graders and less for A graders.

No system is perfect but this continual attempt to stop sandbaggers does more harm than good IMO.

I don't have the answer to it, but I'll try and think of one!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

My GA has gone up .7 from 8.3 to 9 which is what I was playing off.
    Now because our Scratch Rating is 69 against a Par of 70, I will be playing off 8.
    Whilst I understand how it works, is my situation exactly the same as all my fellow competitors in our comp tomorrow?
    I have my doubts!!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Cool, gone from 4.2 to 4.6. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Your "played to" score going into golflink will be exactly the same. Previously you would have to shoot 38 off 8, to play to cap. Now you have to shoot 36 off 6 to play to cap. Both are the same amount of strokes.
    Ah, yes, I remember reading that - this change means that 36 points is now a common benchmark for playing to your GA handicap.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I read about it before, and thought that I had made sense of it, but now I have forgotten all of that.

I've moved from 7.1 to 7.7, but since I don't have a regular home course, I'll just do what I usually do and turn up and play golf (when I'm actually able).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    No system is perfect but this continual attempt to stop sandbaggers does more harm than good IMO.
    I certainly agree with stopping this tweaking to counter sandbaggers aka cheats; they are a minority and will find a way no matter what.

When you are having 27 pts off 9 the thought of turning up tomorrow To play off 6 is a bit daunting, I have a played to 4,5 dropping off tomorrow which is my only motivation to turn up but an anchor under the old system is going to keep me on 6 until I start playing to it or give golf up . My bet is on the second choice

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Am I reading it wrong ? With
    Yes you are reading it wrong. Suggest look at the info on your clubs noticeboard or GA website which explains the changes quite nicely, instead of calling it shite.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Cool, gone from 4.2 to 4.6. Nice!
    My g a went from 7.4 to 8 but daily went to 6 , better check your scratch rating

Our club runs a week long comp. My daily dropped 2 overnight. I questioned the club captain if my 38 points today would transfer to 40 for the competition. I was told it was “tough luck”. That didn’t go down well and could be in some trouble. I’m not saying my reaction was perfect but I believe I was correct.

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

When you are having 27 pts off 9 the thought of turning up tomorrow To play off 6 is a bit daunting, I have a played to 4,5 dropping off tomorrow which is my only motivation to turn up but an anchor under the old system is going to keep me on 6 until I start playing to it or give golf up . My bet is on the second choice
    You will be able to go to a GA of 12/13 and a daily of 11. It'll take longer or require more crap golf. Agree it isn't motivating.

AndyP's comment about cheats will always find a way is spot on. They will have a heap of 42 points late in the day to keep under the 7 shots and more 19 points to get the handicap back up nice and fast.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SundayHack View Post
    Our club runs a week long comp. My daily dropped 2 overnight. I questioned the club captain if my 38 points today would transfer to 40 for the competition. I was told it was “tough luck”. That didn’t go down well and could be in some trouble. I’m not saying my reaction was perfect but I believe I was correct.
    How can they run a comp with two different sets of handicapping rules?
    I’m sure my reaction would have been the same!
    As an ex Club Captain there is no way I would even contemplate doing what they have done, that is just DUMB and asking for trouble.
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

My course tomorrow will be 76 scratch rating (+4) off the plates. Does that mean I get 4 on top of my handicap??
    It sure does. 4 more handicap for the entire field.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    My GA has gone up .7 from 8.3 to 9 which is what I was playing off.
    Now because our Scratch Rating is 69 against a Par of 70, I will be playing off 8.
    Whilst I understand how it works, is my situation exactly the same as all my fellow competitors in our comp tomorrow?
    I have my doubts!!
    Yes it is, the entire field will lose that 1 shot on their handicap....

And even though you ga has gone up as the handicap calc no longer uses the 0.93 multiplier, the daily calculation does, so it takes you back to where you would be on the day. Before the scr adjustment is then applied of course.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Yes you are reading it wrong. Suggest look at the info on your clubs noticeboard or GA website which explains the changes quite nicely, instead of calling it shite.
    I have a narrow focus , not really interested in golf aus spin , not interested in comparing my cap to some yanks cap . They have fiddled with the system for years either to make it fairer for c graders to now to catch the bandits . As far as I am concerned it’s shite as I am getting screwed . More chance of a 27 cap playing to 25 than me playing to 6 . Should I be wrong I will admit it on here

So 27pts off 9, on your scr, saw your golflink receive a "played to 20".

So if you now play off 7, and shoot 25pts, your golf link will receive a "played to 20".

You have always had to shoot 38 to get a played to cap. Now you get 2 less cap and have to shoot 36.

On top of that, the entire field has 2 less cap, so your 25 now will place you in exactly the same spot your 27 did.

There really is no difference.

You will be able to go to a GA of 12/13 and a daily of 11. It'll take longer or require more crap golf. Agree it isn't motivating.AndyP's comment about cheats will always find a way is spot on. They will have a heap of 42 points late in the day to keep under the 7 shots and more 19 points to get the handicap back up nice and fast.
    My anchor is 5.4 till March but I the had 2 months off with back problems, then slowly went out so my anchor is still going to be low for quite sometime. So 8.4 is looking likely

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I love the new system. As someone who is trying to get my hcp down, I got a bonus 1 shot reduction for getting a played to score 7.8 below my GA hcp. How long does that reduction last? I assume as long as that round is in my last 20?

It sure does. 4 more handicap for the entire field.
    So you get the shots before the round and not after the round with the DSR??

And the PCC can add or subtract from this as a sort of DSR??

So the big change is that you get screwed over if you have 43 points (adjusted) plus by having your handicap manipulated lower than the maths calculates, and takes you longer to get shots back when the going is tough.

Real sandbagger target's but screw a lot of other players for that sake

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Does your handicap control how you play?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

... There really is no difference.
    Exactly. The math is the same, the way it is calculated is slightly different but it gives you the same answer.

My anchor is 5.4 till March but I the had 2 months off with back problems, then slowly went out so my anchor is still going to be low for quite sometime. So 8.4 is looking likely
    But even at 10.4 GA you get a little extra for the slope and 12 may go to 10. But agree it doesn't help when you don't put scores in you can't go up

So you get the shots before the round and not after the round with the DSR??

And the PCC can add or subtract from this as a sort of DSR??

So the big change is that you get screwed over if you have 43 points (adjusted) plus by having your handicap manipulated lower than the maths calculates, and takes you longer to get shots back when the going is tough.

Real sandbagger target's but screw a lot of other players for that sake
    Yes, before the round. Under the old system I should have played off 8 today. But since scr 69/par 70, I played off 7.

Previously my mindset was to shoot 37 to play to cap. Now my my goal is to shoot 36.

As far as PCC, that would occur if abnormal conditions would require a change (like previously if dsr was different to scr). This is applied post round.

Thread Information