Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    So its the 80 year olds on handicaps above 36 hcap that are the problem?
    Part of the problem. Yes. It also adds to maintenance costs as you have to mow 40m from the tee. If you had a longleaf tee system in place short hitters would have less shots, take less time to play and the greenstaff would have to look after a lot less grass.

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Different tees will slow it down by heaps, a few will hit off, wander off to the next tee and wait again. As much as you’d like them to walk up and wait, only golfers with some idea on etiquette will do so, ie not many.
    I'm happy to join anyone on the course and have a lot of varied experiences. On my own it takes me just over two hours. With a good mate we play in 3 hours. A group of 4 mates around my handicap will take 3 and a half hours. I often play 9 holes with some old blokes after work and it's always over 2 hours. I will occasionally join some old ladies for 9 holes and it's less than 2 hours. The difference between the old ladies and old blokes is the length of the course.
    The problem with comps is that clubs think they can squeeze more groups in with 7 or 8 minute intervals but this is a falsehood. The RandA has a good report on tee intervals and they need to be at least as long as it takes to play the shortest hole on the course. At least 10 minutes.
    There are many reasons for slow play and length of the course for short hitters is one of them.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Am out to 9.5 G.A. daily at Warragul will be 8 so back to my pre Whs cap

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The sky didn't fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    The sky didn't fall!
    There’s still time

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    The sky didn't fall!
    No , once I found they updated the anchor point I wasn’t so concerned. Being stuck on a daily of 6 wasn’t an attractive proposition given my current form . Will be interesting to see how long this system goes before they change it .

Quote Originally Posted by flathook View Post
    Part of the problem. Yes. It also adds to maintenance costs as you have to mow 40m from the tee. If you had a longleaf tee system in place short hitters would have less shots, take less time to play and the greenstaff would have to look after a lot less grass.
    How many 80yos are there on a handicap > 36?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    I agree.
    we have a Gold Course very Wednesday, I could play in it if I wanted and they just adjust your handicap when you register on the day.
    i think I clicked the option once to look at and it was 2 shots less to play it....
    I was mistaken...
    pour Gold Course is 4 shots easier, not 2.
    No way would I shoot 4 better playing from those tees....

Different tees will slow it down by heaps, a few will hit off, wander off to the next tee and wait again. As much as you’d like them to walk up and wait, only golfers with some idea on etiquette will do so, ie not many.
    You are kidding surely?

I play golf with female members all the time (who play off different tees) and it has never even been close to an issue.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    An update to this and the new WHS.

The best thing about it is (and I don't know if all courses are doing it but I really hope they are) Is the ability for any golfer to choose the set of tees (red, white, blue black, yellow) in the daily competition and your handicap will be adjusted accordingly.

Where I play can be a real pain if you are not striking it the best, so having the ability before the round to say "I don't want to grind today, I'll play the reds or yellows or whites" and have the handicap adjust so you can still play in the daily comp is great.

I also want to play the course from different tees to play the holes differently.

This is a good move as well for the newcomers to golf, the higher handicap players or older players who can then move to a forward set of tees to enjoy the game more.

For me, this is the best thing to come out of it.
    RQ ran this for the first time today.

Will be good when entertaining visitors.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

I agree that different tees will not slow down play IF (and a big IF) you are aware what tees you are playing from, go to that tee safely and be ready to hit off. Some tees are only metres apart, not a big deal, some are up to 80 metres or more different and you'll need to be aware where to go and the like.

I think the time from playing 3 shots into a par 4 and 2 shots into the same hole could offset any time gain on a tee shot. But I don't think it'll be an issue.

Only played with a few ladies (Shaz on here included) and she was off the tee and walking by the time I got near the tees from memory, as are other ladies at our club.

The next issue will be damaging the ladies tee if blokes choose that option.

Col Swanton used to make the top juniors play two balls combined score off Black and red tees back in the Kooralbyn International School days.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Col Swanton used to make the top juniors play two balls combined score off Black and red tees back in the Kooralbyn International School days.
    Heard someone recently say that an old coach of theirs used to make the better players hit off the Reds to try and shoot a low score, and the pressure of shooting say 65 coming into the last few holes was a good test to shoot low and hold their nerve

Senior Member Major Winner

Playing Hand Bag Derby (Off the Reds) makes you really think about where your lines are especially on the dog leg holes. The trap is taking everything on .
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Sure, but that doesn't give you the right to be completely clueless.When are you going to be Captain and get the ship sailing correctly?
    You will be pleased to know I have been invited onto the West Gippsland golf committee , will be elected / inducted on Monday night at the AGM

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    You will be pleased to know I have been invited onto the West Gippsland golf committee , will be elected / inducted on Monday night at the AGM
    I chuckled...

Quote Originally Posted by Monty85 View Post
    You are kidding surely?

I play golf with female members all the time (who play off different tees) and it has never even been close to an issue.
    nope, what’s never been close to an issue, the fact that it isn’t slow or you actively encourage them to wander off and actually be ready to hit?

how many clubs have you been a member of now?

Scone twice , Armidale , Narrabri, windaroo , Townsville twice , the willows emerald, Olinda twice , keysborough ,beaconhills , Warragul twice . Think that’s it , paid up member of Townsville the first time for nearly 10 yrs and played less than 10 games , my cap was 10 and it never moved

Invited is code for no one else to choose from!!!!!

Invited is code for no one else to choose from!!!!!
    Almost correct ,new position on the committee, had to go thru an interview process , not many interested so not many interviews, I put my hand up as I am interested in the position. , if no one was suitable position would have remained vacant

Almost correct ,new position on the committee, had to go thru an interview process , not many interested so not many interviews, I put my hand up as I am interested in the position. , if no one was suitable position would have remained vacant
    Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Just being a bit facetious.
    It's a shame there aren't more people taking on these roles and I wish you all the best.
    If I may express an opinion and I have no experience of your district. I rarely see the districts with a program for new golfers. Not just a beginners clinic but a complete pathway to regular golf. Golf can be very intimidating for non golfers. Dress standards, cost of equipment, pressure to play quickly etc.

Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Just being a bit facetious. It's a shame there aren't more people taking on these roles and I wish you all the best.If I may express an opinion and I have no experience of your district. I rarely see the districts with a program for new golfers. Not just a beginners clinic but a complete pathway to regular golf. Golf can be very intimidating for non golfers. Dress standards, cost of equipment, pressure to play quickly etc.
    My original post was being cheeky , couldn’t agree more re pathways , my role is to encourage / help clubs run clinics / programs. First thing they will be told is no use doing a program if you don’t have a pathway mapped out . Start at the end point you want to achieve then work backwards. Then they will be told to make it fun

My original post was being cheeky , couldn’t agree more re pathways , my role is to encourage / help clubs run clinics / programs. First thing they will be told is no use doing a program if you don’t have a pathway mapped out . Start at the end point you want to achieve then work backwards. Then they will be told to make it fun
    Awesome. Good luck.

Thread Information