Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Played yesterday had 31 pts off 6 , g a 8 , wasn’t that unhappy, played to 11.9 had a 4.5 drop off G.A. is out to 8.9 which is 7 at Warragul , 43 pts won the day so he wasn’t sandbagging or maybe hasn’t read the fine print , 46 usually wins at this time , A grade was 39 pts , I am pleased to see I have floated past 8.4 which I thought might have been my new soft cap . Think all that’s going to happen at Warragul is more tractors than usual with hand breaks on until they get the two shots back . Went had a lesson Monday to see if I can fix a few things , which helped yesterday, Probably going to do a game improvement series of lessons (12) so I don’t throw the clubs in the lake .

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Does anyone know if the WHS accomadates overseas golf ( both ways ) any better? My guess is no. Still need to have a handicap/introduction letter and any returned scores would require manual adjustments.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Does anyone know if the WHS accomadates overseas golf ( both ways ) any better? My guess is no. Still need to have a handicap/introduction letter and any returned scores would require manual adjustments.
    Not in terms of score entry, but while different jurisdictions have some variations in how course handicap is calculated, there’s now uniformity in how the handicap index is calculated (which is why our .93 multiplier moved from the index calculation to the course handicap calculation), so wherever you go in the world, there’s an even playing field in terms of handicap index.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

An update to this and the new WHS.

The best thing about it is (and I don't know if all courses are doing it but I really hope they are) Is the ability for any golfer to choose the set of tees (red, white, blue black, yellow) in the daily competition and your handicap will be adjusted accordingly.

Where I play can be a real pain if you are not striking it the best, so having the ability before the round to say "I don't want to grind today, I'll play the reds or yellows or whites" and have the handicap adjust so you can still play in the daily comp is great.

I also want to play the course from different tees to play the holes differently.

This is a good move as well for the newcomers to golf, the higher handicap players or older players who can then move to a forward set of tees to enjoy the game more.

For me, this is the best thing to come out of it.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    An update to this and the new WHS.

The best thing about it is (and I don't know if all courses are doing it but I really hope they are) Is the ability for any golfer to choose the set of tees (red, white, blue black, yellow) in the daily competition and your handicap will be adjusted accordingly.

Where I play can be a real pain if you are not striking it the best, so having the ability before the round to say "I don't want to grind today, I'll play the reds or yellows or whites" and have the handicap adjust so you can still play in the daily comp is great.

I also want to play the course from different tees to play the holes differently.

This is a good move as well for the newcomers to golf, the higher handicap players or older players who can then move to a forward set of tees to enjoy the game more.

For me, this is the best thing to come out of it.
    I think that was one of the main drivers of the "tinkering" that happened on the Australian end of the new world system. It will be interesting to see how many clubs adopt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I think that was one of the main drivers of the "tinkering" that happened on the Australian end of the new world system. It will be interesting to see how many clubs adopt it?
    I had spoken to members of the board about it and wasn't sure if they would try it but they are at least going to try which is step one.

There are a lot of higher handicap players and older players at our club who can't reach some par 3's in one shot, let alone some of the par 4's in two. I can't see how it's not more enjoyable (and quicker) to play forward tees.

I also don't want to grind in the wind every round from the blues or blacks. I think it would be fun to play the reds or yellows, take different lines and different irons into holes. And the handicap is adjusted accordingly.

I just don't know how they will run the comp grades. That will require some thinking or they could just have no grade or a per tee grade.

Regardless I think it's a great idea

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I agree.
    we have a Gold Course very Wednesday, I could play in it if I wanted and they just adjust your handicap when you register on the day.
    i think I clicked the option once to look at and it was 2 shots less to play it....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    I agree.
    we have a Gold Course very Wednesday, I could play in it if I wanted and they just adjust your handicap when you register on the day.
    i think I clicked the option once to look at and it was 2 shots less to play it....
    Yep. I've worked out that I'll get +4 on the blacks, +2 on the blues, +1 on the whites, -2 red and -4 shots on yellows.

So many holes play so different from the blue to the white let alone reds / yellows.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Your course absolutely would change a lot of holes...
    I think on mine I’d be still hitting it/laying up to where I would normally, would just be hitting a shorter club off the tee...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Your course absolutely would change a lot of holes...
    I think on mine I’d be still hitting it/laying up to where I would normally, would just be hitting a shorter club off the tee...
    Yeah it would absolutely depend on the course.

Off the top of my head, from blue / black to red / yellow, the changes are massive.

#1 you can take on the fairway traps to try and go over them from reds but you lay up as close to them from blacks.

#2 becomes a choice from the tee of being a 2 shot par 5 or laying up as usual.

#3 is from a completely different angle

#4 is only length

#5 is now a choice between going for the green or not as is #6

#7 goes from 8 iron to GW

#8 becomes an almost par 4 to attack rather than having the trouble in the landing zone off the back

#9 brings in the left fairway trap and scrub and could take out the right trap which is in play from the back

That's only the first 9. Many many more options or like you said lay up to areas with shorter clubs (5 could be 6 iron and wedge rather than 3 wood wedge)

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    An update to this and the new WHS. The best thing about it is (and I don't know if all courses are doing it but I really hope they are) Is the ability for any golfer to choose the set of tees (red, white, blue black, yellow) in the daily competition and your handicap will be adjusted accordingly. Where I play can be a real pain if you are not striking it the best, so having the ability before the round to say "I don't want to grind today, I'll play the reds or yellows or whites" and have the handicap adjust so you can still play in the daily comp is great. I also want to play the course from different tees to play the holes differently. This is a good move as well for the newcomers to golf, the higher handicap players or older players who can then move to a forward set of tees to enjoy the game more. For me, this is the best thing to come out of it.
    I agree it’s a good idea but this should have been an option as soon as daily handicaps were determined by slope

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I agree it’s a good idea but this should have been an option as soon as daily handicaps were determined by slope
    Couldn't agree more. We should be embracing the front tees more. The distance debate affects the pros more then us mere mortals

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Retards at my club still get confused if it is blue or black tees on the day. I can just imagine the butthurt if they could choose a tee.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Retards at my club still get confused if it is blue or black tees on the day. I can just imagine the butthurt if they could choose a tee.
    Clubs could enforce it by grade rather than let players pick (unless someone wants to move forward.

I believe some clubs do this for monthly medals.

The only problem I see with the whole thing is ladies are forgotten in the whole thing unless they want to move back. The distance report mentioned how forward tees are still too far back for a lot of players. Maybe we’ll eventually get new tees for a really short course.

City GC Toowoomba implemented this a couple years ago, they have 5 or 6. It was just a matter of getting the courses rated on those tees, not anything to do with WHS
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Longleaf tee system.
    Letting the maximum handicap out is a mistake. Forward tees are the answer.

How would running a competition off mixed tees work well? You might have a group of 4 hitting off 4 diferent tees, which will slow play down considerable.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    How would running a competition off mixed tees work well? You might have a group of 4 hitting off 4 diferent tees, which will slow play down considerable.
    Don't understand how it slows down play. 80 year olds playing the back markers slows down play.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by flathook View Post
    Don't understand how it slows down play. 80 year olds playing the back markers slows down play.
    The only time of the year that causes us time issues is when we host pennant games.
    Last edited by PerryGroves; 12th February 2020 at 08:34 PM.

Different tees will slow it down by heaps, a few will hit off, wander off to the next tee and wait again. As much as you’d like them to walk up and wait, only golfers with some idea on etiquette will do so, ie not many.

Quote Originally Posted by flathook View Post
    So its the 80 year olds on handicaps above 36 hcap that are the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Different tees will slow it down by heaps, a few will hit off, wander off to the next tee and wait again. As much as you’d like them to walk up and wait, only golfers with some idea on etiquette will do so, ie not many.
    Walking up and waiting will last until someone gets smoked with a wild tee shot.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Walking up and waiting will last until someone gets smoked with a wild tee shot.
    Yep I’m super conscious of a stray tee shot when I wait near my tees when playing in a mixed group. If I don’t feel it’s safe to go ahead I don’t. However I’m ready to start walking to my tee as soon as the last person has teed I’d and I’ve usually started / finished my tee shot by the time the last person has reached me.

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    Yep I’m super conscious of a stray tee shot when I wait near my tees when playing in a mixed group. If I don’t feel it’s safe to go ahead I don’t. However I’m ready to start walking to my tee as soon as the last person has teed I’d and I’ve usually started / finished my tee shot by the time the last person has reached me.
    That's definitely the way it should be done.

Blog Entries

We play 3 different tees on medal days (plus women) with no noticeable extra time, other than an occasional numpty using the wrong tee and re-hitting.

Most time is wasted on these days looking for lost balls, especially with higher handicappers and not getting a DSQ.

Personally, stroke rounds should be for A and B graders only (and preferably only one of those, to give the club golfers an incentive to improve).
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Thread Information