Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner

I turned up to golf, they gave me a card with the same handicap as Wednesday, about the same scores as usual won the comp, my “played to” mediocre golf was about the same as usual, got soaked in the rain, had a free Leishman lager and 3 dimmies after golf, went home a happy man. Golf is awesome.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    I turned up to golf, they gave me a card with the same handicap as Wednesday, about the same scores as usual won the comp, my “played to” mediocre golf was about the same as usual, got soaked in the rain, had a free Leishman lager and 3 dimmies after golf, went home a happy man. Golf is awesome.
    Steamed?

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Fried. South Melbourne dimmies - the best!

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Your "Played To" figure compares to the Scratch Rating, not Par.

"(iv) What role in the handicap system does PCC actually perform in the calculation of a handicap?
    ▪ A player’s gross score is compared against the PCC-adjusted Scratch Rating value in order to determine aplayer’s ‘Played To’ value for that round. (The ‘Played To’ value is displayed in a player’s handicap recordon www.golf.org.au)."
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    Your "Played To" figure compares to the Scratch Rating, not Par.

"(iv) What role in the handicap system does PCC actually perform in the calculation of a handicap?
    A player’s gross score is compared against the PCC-adjusted Scratch Rating value in order to determine aplayer’s ‘Played To’ value for that round. (The ‘Played To’ value is displayed in a player’s handicap recordon www.golf.org.au)."
    So this is incorrect?

Firstly, it simplifies handicapping by making 36 Stableford points (or net par) the universal measure of a golfer playing to their handicap, regardless of the tees or course.

So this is incorrect?

Firstly, it simplifies handicapping by making 36 Stableford points (or net par) the universal measure of a golfer playing to their handicap, regardless of the tees or course.
    I would say that is not correct. I think your historical scores should have been adjusted to the new system as well. So if you look at your last 20 rounds, in terms of the "Played To" figure, 36pts won't always be playing to your handicap. Depending on the Scratch Rating, and the +/- of the PCC.
    Where I play we have the same Scratch Rating and Par, so the PCC is affecting "playing to my handicap". So my 20th round is 30pts off 8. Which, against par, would be playing to 14. But the PCC was +2, so my played to is 12. In that case 34pts would give me a Daily Handicap of 8 and a "Played To" of 8.

My 17th round is probably a good example. 36pts off 8, but my "Played To" is 7 because the PCC was +1.
    Last edited by aussieashley; 2nd February 2020 at 08:54 PM.

Last edited by aussieashley; 2nd February 2020 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    I would say that is not correct. I think your historical scores should have been adjusted to the new system as well. So if you look at your last 20 rounds, in terms of the "Played To" figure, 36pts won't always be playing to your handicap. Depending on the Scratch Rating, and the +/- of the PCC.Where I play we have the same Scratch Rating and Par, so the PCC is affecting "playing to my handicap". So my 20th round is 30pts off 8. Which, against par, would be playing to 14. But the PCC was +2, so my played to is 12. In that case 34pts would give me a Daily Handicap of 8 and a "Played To" of 8.My 17th round is probably a good example. 36pts off 8, but my "Played To" is 7 because the PCC was +1.
    Somebody should let GA know

Well I had a 39 off the stick and 21 points for 9 today at 16 on the blacks , but this is what scares the **** out of me 109 slope , but I will get hammered for this in normal comp thankfully it’s in our twilight comp which doesn’t get handicapped
    This is where I can run into trouble, I realise that this will affect the 1% of golfers that play blacks and greens but it does worry me a lot
    I want to support the struggling clubs in my region but I cannot play to this handicap on a greens course
    And I do realise GA cannot accomodate a person who plays both but if they were serious about their handicap system it would , they take money off a lot of a lot of country courses without even factoring this in

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    After your first round you'll have a new low point. So you'll be able to go up more IF you're not lower than your previous low point
    Is no one concerned about this???

So if you were already anchored, you can now increase an additional 5 shots above that previous anchor point?

Surely this is counter intuitive to the motivations behind a lot of the changes associated with the WHS.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Just noticed that i no longer have a cap score, so by what I read and understand the first game I pay under the WHS will set my low point, Looks like I'm having a terrible game for my next game.
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Just noticed that i no longer have a cap score, so by what I read and understand the first game I pay under the WHS will set my low point, Looks like I'm having a terrible game for my next game.
    It will just be whatever your G.A handicap is calculated at after you play your first round under the WHS rules. So if you're G.A. doesn't change, that G.A value will be your low point going forward.

My issue is that players who are already anchored under the old system will now be eligible to increase an additional 5 shots in the new system.

So if someone had a low point in the old system of 10. Played poorly for a few months and was anchored on 15.0. They can now increase that handicap to 20.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty85 View Post
    It will just be whatever your G.A handicap is calculated at after you play your first round under the WHS rules. So if you're G.A. doesn't change, that G.A value will be your low point going forward.My issue is that players who are already anchored under the old system will now be eligible to increase an additional 5 shots in the new system.So if someone had a low point in the old system of 10. Played poorly for a few months and was anchored on 15.0. They can now increase that handicap to 20.0.
    Why is this a problem?

yes there will be a 3 shot diff from my old low point to my new one
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

Why is this a problem?
    The whole point of the cap is stop people blowing out there handicaps too quickly (i.e. sandbaggers or people who just have bad spells and end up on a handicap that is far too high). By doing a hard reset of the cap and not applying the 12 month low point retrospectively, that cap could potentially be extended to 10.

If the point of the cap is to stop players increasing their handicaps in short periods of time - having a hard reset goes against that intention and only effects the very people the cap is trying to stop in the first place.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If feels like I have wasted an opportunity to blow my handicap out.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers Country View Post
    This is where I can run into trouble, I realise that this will affect the 1% of golfers that play blacks and greens but it does worry me a lot
    Many golfers that predominantly play their home track can have the same problem that they dont travel well. There is nothing special about that and not reasonable for the system to do anything about it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Personally I couldn't care less about the new handicap system, in saying that, I didn't care about the old one either. I don't play golf to keep my handicap, I play to enjoy it, if my handicap comes down, so be it, if it goes out, that's no big deal either. I play comp every weekend, and I can say that I've never thought "gee i hope i play well so my handicap moves 0.4". I enjoy good golf, and enjoy the day out even if I play bad golf (even though I do get frustrated). Handicap is just a bi-product for me.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

This is awesome.

For Friday's short course event, I play off plus 2.

Always wanted to make scratch, but this is even better!

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    This is awesome.For Friday's short course event, I play off plus 2.Always wanted to make scratch, but this is even better!
    Flusha.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

got me buggered.Checked today.Last round was 38 points,replaced a 35 point game that dropped off.Handicap was 8.4,good round should have it go down,but gone up to 8.8

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    got me buggered.Checked today.Last round was 38 points,replaced a 35 point game that dropped off.Handicap was 8.4,good round should have it go down,but gone up to 8.8
    Have you read the changes? Might make sense then. Everybody went up with the 0.93 moved outside the GA calc. But the 0.93 comes back into the daily handicap calc and you will go back down again.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Have you read the changes? Might make sense then. Everybody went up with the 0.93 moved outside the GA calc. But the 0.93 comes back into the daily handicap calc and you will go back down again.
    Yep,read the changes,but that doesn't mean I understand them correctly.After the round,a quick calculation had me holding my handicap,or possibly going down .1.It may be that scratch rating wasn't considered correctly.Either way,all this will work itself out in another few rounds

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    This is awesome.For Friday's short course event, I play off plus 2.Always wanted to make scratch, but this is even better!
    If I play our Tuesday comp I will be off +2 as well , coring greens Monday playing off beginners tees Tuesday , think I will go elsewhere

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    If I play our Tuesday comp I will be off +2 as well , coring greens Monday playing off beginners tees Tuesday , think I will go elsewhere
    Should get a few shots back when they take your driver and give you an old B51 to play with.

Thread Information