Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Does your handicap control how you play?
    Yes. As much as I hate to admit it, I like to have a good score. Does 32 feel better than 29 to me. Yes. That's how I like my golf.

Should I be further penalised for having a great round beyond the maths??? I don't think so.

If the maths is the same, why doesnt your handicap go up as fast as it comes down as it's a representation of your current form. They shouldn't be slowing your handicap going up for the sake of cheats

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    How can they run a comp with two different sets of handicapping rules?I’m sure my reaction would have been the same!As an ex Club Captain there is no way I would even contemplate doing what they have done, that is just DUMB and asking for trouble.
    I don’t think the incompetent prick knew how to handle it. A mix of the handicap roll over and our system already programmed to have the weekly comp was just too difficult. I gave him a fair spray that didn’t end well

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SundayHack View Post
    I don’t think the incompetent prick knew how to handle it. A mix of the handicap roll over and our system already programmed to have the weekly comp was just too difficult. I gave him a fair spray that didn’t end well
    Yeah, that's fair enough. We had the same issue today, got a little awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    So 27pts off 9, on your scr, saw your golflink receive a "played to 20".So if you now play off 7, and shoot 25pts, your golf link will receive a "played to 20".You have always had to shoot 38 to get a played to cap. Now you get 2 less cap and have to shoot 36.On top of that, the entire field has 2 less cap, so your 25 now will place you in exactly the same spot your 27 did.There really is no difference.
    Assuming the dsr was 69 , The 27 pts was 44 th out of 46 on Thursday, , I was looking forward to getting a shot back not loosing a couple . If I start snap hooking there is a dam on the 4 th , is only a short walk to the carpark , just have to remember to take my keys and wallet out of the bag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Yes. As much as I hate to admit it, I like to have a good score. Does 32 feel better than 29 to me. Yes. That's how I like my golf.

Should I be further penalised for having a great round beyond the maths??? I don't think so.

If the maths is the same, why doesnt your handicap go up as fast as it comes down as it's a representation of your current form. They shouldn't be slowing your handicap going up for the sake of cheats
    The penalty for exceptional rounds is the only thing that falls outside of "the maths makes it the same". I am not sure it's a good rule, but i suppose it's one I would need to see in action before I judge it further.
    Last edited by benno_r; 31st January 2020 at 08:10 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that's fair enough. We had the same issue today, got a little awkward.
    I can’t believe anyone in there right mind would even try and have a weekly comp this week using both systems.
    Not only the different rules but also the fact that Golflink was offline for 3 or 4 days whilst they adjusted everything.
    Like I said before that is just DUMB and asking for trouble!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

But even at 10.4 GA you get a little extra for the slope and 12 may go to 10. But agree it doesn't help when you don't put scores in you can't go up
    New system you only get 3 back then they drip feed the last 2 , I think ?

I can’t believe anyone in there right mind would even try and have a weekly comp this week using both systems.
    Not only the different rules but also the fact that Golflink was offline for 3 or 4 days whilst they adjusted everything.
    Like I said before that is just DUMB and asking for trouble!
    I work in our pro shop, and we didnt recieve a lot of info aside from 1 poster from GA. I have spent a lot of time trying to suss it out, and it took a while to figure out. The guys working today, didn't really foresee this issue, and most members didnt even know it was happening. I am sure the committee will be hearing more about it in the next week or so.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

**** handicaps! Gross for the win!

The penalty for exceptional rounds is the only thing that falls outside of "the maths makes it the same". I am not sure it's a good rule, but i suppose it's one I would need ti see in action before I judge it further.
    And the soft cap. Both outside the maths. Both aimed at cheats. Both can screw, to me, genuine players who have either a bad run of scores OR a great round.

Blog Entries

I work in our pro shop, and we didnt recieve a lot of info aside from 1 poster from GA. I have spent a lot of time trying to suss it out, and it took a while to figure out. The guys working today, didn't really foresee this issue, and most members didnt even know it was happening. I am sure the committee will be hearing more about it in the next week or so.
    Fair enough but I think the only equitable solution would be to declare the comp null and void and give all those who paid comp fees a credit towards future comp fees.
    Golflink

WITB
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW

[QUOTE=Matt 3 Jab;1416004]Yes. As much as I hate to admit it, I like to have a good score. Does 32 feel better than 29 to me. Yes. That's how I like my golf. I am with you , 36 pts is playing to cap and ok , 30 to 35 will be acceptable if I can find reasons for it and learn something from it . Under 30 is crap and unacceptable . Every time I play I expect to / want to better 36 pts .

And the soft cap. Both outside the maths. Both aimed at cheats. Both can screw, to me, genuine players who have either a bad run of scores OR a great round.
    Yes that's right, I forgot about that.

Considering most golf whinging involves sandbagging, it doesnt surprise me they clamped down in that regard. Like I said, I think it will be a wait and see kind of thing if it stays.

Yes that's right, I forgot about that.

Considering most golf whinging involves sandbagging, it doesnt surprise me they clamped down in that regard. Like I said, I think it will be a wait and see kind of thing if it stays.
    True true. But everyone knows in every club who those people are. These changes will not change their ways or how they operate. 42 points will be the winners, so as not to lose another shot at the magical 43 mark, and blow outs will be massive blow outs. So instead of getting 1.5 shots back with a crappy 25 points, it'll be an injury / emergency leave / bad run of holes for 17 points and instead of getting 2.8 back it'll be 1.4. Wow what a change

Why worry about things that are out of your control? The system is what it is. Turn up, hit the ball, find it, hit it again... and so on. The rest just takes care of itself.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Fair enough but I think the only equitable solution would be to declare the comp null and void and give all those who paid comp fees a credit towards future comp fees.
    I would have accepted that

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Why worry about things that are out of your control? The system is what it is. Turn up, hit the ball, find it, hit it again... and so on. The rest just takes care of itself.
    Exactly, go out and try and hit a better gross score than what you did last time. People get too tied up in "36 pts".

Blog Entries

I would have accepted that
    Exactly, as most reasonable people would!
    Golflink

WITB
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW

Exactly, go out and try and hit a better gross score than what you did last time. People get too tied up in "36 pts".
    Our handicap system is based on 36 pts not 77 ots

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    Our handicap system is based on 36 pts not 77 ots
    Yes, it is based on 36 now. Previously it was based on 36 +/- scr.

Whilst I agree on the broader idea of hit it, find it and hit again, golf, particularly Australian golf is mostly centred around competition at a club level. It's why you become a member (best tee times are competitions), I play each Saturday I can in the comp, I go out second group as then it's done by lunch and not an all day thing.

You pay competition fees and thus you enter a handicapped daily competition to hopefully play well and maybe even win something. The idea is that everyone competes on a level field. The maths in the new system isn't level. It adds in special considerations based on score alone (be it a great score or 12 bad ones in a row).

It specifically manipulates certain areas to try and stop cheats. It will not work.

If I could honestly play Saturday morning before the comp, with a group of mates, for free as I don't pay for social rounds, I would in a heart beat. But to play the best times (Saturday and Sunday morning until about 1pm) I am directed towards the daily competition.

And yes, no one's got a gun to my head to play comp, but in my opinion, it's how Australian golf is directed, and no club I have ever been at has said "you can book in within the comp but not play in the comp". Would stuff the 2BBB which runs each comp

Whilst I agree on the broader idea of hit it, find it and hit again, golf, particularly Australian golf is mostly centred around competition at a club level. It's why you become a member (best tee times are competitions), I play each Saturday I can in the comp, I go out second group as then it's done by lunch and not an all day thing.

You pay competition fees and thus you enter a handicapped daily competition to hopefully play well and maybe even win something. The idea is that everyone competes on a level field. The maths in the new system isn't level. It adds in special considerations based on score alone (be it a great score or 12 bad ones in a row).

It specifically manipulates certain areas to try and stop cheats. It will not work.

If I could honestly play Saturday morning before the comp, with a group of mates, for free as I don't pay for social rounds, I would in a heart beat. But to play the best times (Saturday and Sunday morning until about 1pm) I am directed towards the daily competition.

And yes, no one's got a gun to my head to play comp, but in my opinion, it's how Australian golf is directed, and no club I have ever been at has said "you can book in within the comp but not play in the comp". Would stuff the 2BBB which runs each comp
    I spose that's where I differ. I go out every round to shoot a "played to" equal or better than my GA.

Under the old system, if I was playing with you at Magenta, I'd know a 32 was what I needed to play to my GA. Similarly, when I play Bargara (par 72, dsr 69), I had to shoot 39.

Now, no matter where I play, I know I have to shoot 36.

Like I said before, I am not sold on the "exceptional score"/"soft cap", and time well tell if they are good things. I can see small pockets (your case) where it is negative. But I also see positives that will stop bagging. On both these I would say "time will tell".

I gave up a long time ago trying to compete against others on handicap - there is never going to be a solution that makes everyone happy. Now I play myself under the new rules - simply 36pts. If any other wins come from it that's a bonus.

I spose that's where I differ. I go out every round to shoot a "played to" equal or better than my GA.

Under the old system, if I was playing with you at Magenta, I'd know a 32 was what I needed to play to my GA. Similarly, when I play Bargara (par 72, dsr 69), I had to shoot 39.

Now, no matter where I play, I know I have to shoot 36.

Like I said before, I am not sold on the "exceptional score"/"soft cap", and time well tell if they are good things. I can see small pockets (your case) where it is negative. But I also see positives that will stop bagging. On both these I would say "time will tell".

I gave up a long time ago trying to compete against others on handicap - there is never going to be a solution that makes everyone happy. Now I play myself under the new rules - simply 36pts. If any other wins come from it that's a bonus.
    I will agree aiming for 36 points each and every week is a better idea. As long as the scratch ratings somewhat represent the course.

Time will tell. But being a 'world system' I can't see GA pulling out any time soon unless the soft cap and 43 point BS is purely an Aussie thing.

Baggers gunna bag. Always will.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    That's alright for you to say. This change will probably cost me $3 because I'm sure it will somehow be unfair to my team, and favourable to the other team, even though they win every week anyway.

I didn't play today, but the winner of the comp at my course shot 40 points. Wednesday's comp, under the old system, had a 47, followed by a 46. Not many will complain if 40 is a chance of winning the comp.

The golfing world didn't collapse last time the system changed, and it won't fall apart this time either.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I will agree aiming for 36 points each and every week is a better idea. As long as the scratch ratings somewhat represent the course.

Time will tell. But being a 'world system' I can't see GA pulling out any time soon unless the soft cap and 43 point BS is purely an Aussie thing.

Baggers gunna bag. Always will.
    Thing funny thing is. Australia has the least amount of change of anywhere in the world.

The yanks have gone nuclear trying to make sense of it.

Thread Information