Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf in Darwin

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Golf in Darwin

I’m headed to Darwin for work next week and will have time around my meetings for 1-2 hits.

Is anyone familiar with golf in Darwin? If so, where should I play? Darwin GC and Palmerston GC seem like the best options in a small field?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Scottt, I used to travel to Katherine over 10 years ago, and played nearly all of the courses up that way. Those two were the pick in Darwin, and I found Humpty Doo was fun too, but I have no idea what the condition would be like now. Hopefully benno_r chimes in, as he was there a bit more recently.

Here's some of the Darwin talk from when I was up that way: https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.ph...-Leyland/page3

At the time it looks like I was more impressed with Palmerston than Darwin.

Thanks very much for that, Andy. Appreciated.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

No problem. It was nice to read back through that.

Since it is wet season, those courses might be quite green, and in decent condition, if they aren't broke.

Senior Member Major Winner

I spent 3yrs in Darwin, but haven't been back for nearly 3yrs. Summary as follows:

Darwin GC. Best in Darwin. Thommo special full of artificial mounds. Routed through houses. Likely to be best nick, but the bar can be low in this regard. Knows it's the best in town, and charges accordingly.

Palmerston GC. Little brother. Front 9 is not that good, back 9 over the road is an ok layout. Struggles with condition, though this may have changed now it owns the NT open.

Humpty Doo. Not a bad 9 holer. A few decent holes, but condition can vary dramatically. Very "country" and laid back.

Gardens Park. Pretty average 9 holer, but closest to town. Crap layout, crap condition. Only consider if nothing else available.

RAAF Darwin. Not a bad little 9 holer. Land is 2 fairways wide - 4 up, 1 across, 4 back. Like most NT locations, condition can be decent, but also quite bad. Steer clear if you have the hooks, Bagot road is quite busy and very close along the left of 1,3 and 4.

This time of year will be wet. Courses likely to be sloppy, and a good chance of rain every day. Will also be hot and muggy, so take bulk water.

My recommendations: 9 holes - drive 30min to Humpty Doo. 18 holes - Darwin GC.
    Last edited by benno_r; 7th January 2020 at 03:29 PM.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

I played Darwin and Palmerston a couple of years ago and was disappointed. I'm surprised someone hasn't built a better course in Darwin. The 9 holes on the other side of the road from the clubhouse at Palmerston are decent but the ones around the clubhouse are very plain. Darwin is a better 18 holes.

Thanks all. That’s great intel.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

At DGC. Most if not all of the mahoganys ( thousands) have been removed now, so it should be back to looking like a links course again.

Thread Information