Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default 2020 European Tour

Even though it is still November 19, the 2020 season has started at Leopard Creek.

I know this is the favourite event of an Ozgolf friend of mine, because he likes to see the animals. So far I've only seen buffalo, but usually elephants and crocodiles get some TV time. Here's hoping.

The other reason I thought it appropriate to start a new thread is because history is being made here, and professional golf is moving into the 21st century. I am,of course, referring to the shocking fact the players are wearing shorts.

Twitter will be outraged, I imagine.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I saw vision of Courty in golf shorts the other day too. Crazy times!

No doubt that this is due to climate change, and our government needs to act.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

About f***ing time
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Perhaps not a popular opinion but I like Ewan Porter commentating on the European Tour and have liked his work for some time.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Perhaps not a popular opinion but I like Ewan Porter commentating on the European Tour and have liked his work for some time.
    I don't mind him, at least he has recent experience to draw upon and doesn't gibber on endlessly like the other Aussie on the broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    I don't mind him, at least he has recent experience to draw upon and doesn't gibber on endlessly like the other Aussie on the broadcast.
    I've been watching with the sound turned off and music playing. My 88 year old next door neighbour doesn't mind the noise until her bedtime, which is about 10pm. So I switch the music off and the TV sound on about now.

But if Ewan Porter is on, and particularly if Alison Whittaker is on as well (I assume that is who PT is referring to) I'll leave the sound off.

As for Andy Sullivan, that prompts me to ask a question that has bugged me for years. Who marks a pro card? I've never seen them swap cards, and even score a card on the course. I've always assumed either the pro does his own, or the caddy does it for him. When you see them in the scorer's hut, they never seem to sign each other's card as player and marker. So, who made the mistake?
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I've been watching with the sound turned off and music playing. My 88 year old next door neighbour doesn't mind the noise until her bedtime, which is about 10pm. So I switch the music off and the TV sound on about now.
    What time is lights out in the village?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

So, who made the mistake?

Andy for signing an incorrect card.

Senior Member Major Winner

I've been watching with the sound turned off and music playing. My 88 year old next door neighbour doesn't mind the noise until her bedtime, which is about 10pm. So I switch the music off and the TV sound on about now.But if Ewan Porter is on, and particularly if Alison Whittaker is on as well (I assume that is who PT is referring to) I'll leave the sound off.As for Andy Sullivan, that prompts me to ask a question that has bugged me for years. Who marks a pro card? I've never seen them swap cards, and even score a card on the course. I've always assumed either the pro does his own, or the caddy does it for him. When you see them in the scorer's hut, they never seem to sign each other's card as player and marker. So, who made the mistake?
    As far as I can tell from tv, they mark their own card and write the other bloke’s score on a little tear off strip on the bottom which they hand over at the end of the round. As long as it matches they’re sweet. Either that or the tear off strip has their score on it and I’ve just never seen the exchange

Blog Entries

If it is the same as Golf Australia events, a player marks his competitors card and you write your score on a tear off strip at the bottom. You then use the tear off strip to assist in confirming your scores on your own card. Someone still needs to attest to the score so u don’t get to mark your own card!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    If it is the same as Golf Australia events, a player marks his competitors card and you write your score on a tear off strip at the bottom. You then use the tear off strip to assist in confirming your scores on your own card. Someone still needs to attest to the score so u don’t get to mark your own card!
    This is what I’ve seen, the big one is the players and the marker does the tear off strip. PGATour has it on top not the bottom.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

A new record has been set on the @EuropeanTour! Sebastian Soderberg of Sweden has gone around the Majlis course in the final round of @OMEGAGolfDubai Desert Classic in 1 hour 35 mins!! @Thomas_Pieters did it before in 1:59.
    1 birdie and 4 bogeys in his 75! https://t.co/AaNGwopZi1

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Go Lucas Herbert- On Australia Day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Go Lucas Herbert- On Australia Day!!!
    ouch

Omg!!!

I presume, Bushy, that the ouch was when he essentially shanked his wood, then the Omg was when he almost holed the recovery.

I was originally going to write that this was one of the luckiest wins in history, but on reflection, Herbert hit good shots all the way home, and it wasn't his fault every other player in contention chopped it. I reckon about 10 players left the course thinking they should have won the event, and Herbert wasn't one of them.

One of the oddest things was that Herbert never led until his last putt of regulation, and never led by himself until the last putt of the playoff.

Still, a win in Dubai is a pretty good thing to have on the resume. It will be interesting to see if he kicks on. I'd sort of written him off as a Thomas Pieters style of player, talented, but finds it hard to put four rounds together, and falls away when he needs to be strong under pressure. But confidence can do wonders for a player. He could go on and be really good, or he could revert to the Pieters style of player. I hope its the former.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

I presume, Bushy, that the ouch was when he essentially shanked his wood, then the Omg was when he almost holed the recovery.

I was originally going to write that this was one of the luckiest wins in history, but on reflection, Herbert hit good shots all the way home, and it wasn't his fault every other player in contention chopped it. I reckon about 10 players left the course thinking they should have won the event, and Herbert wasn't one of them.

One of the oddest things was that Herbert never led until his last putt of regulation, and never led by himself until the last putt of the playoff.

Still, a win in Dubai is a pretty good thing to have on the resume. It will be interesting to see if he kicks on. I'd sort of written him off as a Thomas Pieters style of player, talented, but finds it hard to put four rounds together, and falls away when he needs to be strong under pressure. But confidence can do wonders for a player. He could go on and be really good, or he could revert to the Pieters style of player. I hope its the former.
    He's talented but his swing isn't reliable enough. I think he'll be like Leishman. Have a good week every now and then.

A Euro500,000 payday every now and then goes OK.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

So, who made the mistake?
    Andy Sullivan made the mistake of signing for an incorrect score on one of the holes.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

There’s something about Victor Perez that floats my boat. Like a young Adam Scott but the guy is deadly with the putter.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    There’s something about Victor Perez that floats my boat. Like a young Adam Scott but the guy is deadly with the putter.
    His swing looks unorthodox but it is much better than Adam Scott's.

As for Andy Sullivan, that prompts me to ask a question that has bugged me for years. Who marks a pro card? I've never seen them swap cards, and even score a card on the course.
    Finally, in the Oman Open last night, I saw them swap cards in the scorers tent, so I guess the common sense approach does occur. It is still a mystery to me how, in the case of the Andy Sullivan card, that the marker got the total score right, but two separate hole scores wrong.

But that is water under the bridge now. I saw them swap cards, so the question has been answered.

Even though the star power was a bit lacking, the Oman Open turned out to be a really good tournament. Even the Greg Norman design template (where every course he designs looks the same) held my interest. The players had to think their way around and actually use some strategy depending on the pin positions. Maybe it was just the fact that a bit of breeze made golf a bit more challenging, but I enjoyed this event.

Is this coming back this year? I am sick to death of the crap commentary and boring US Tour. Bring back some spice and good courses.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Is this coming back this year? I am sick to death of the crap commentary and boring US Tour. Bring back some spice and good courses.
    Yep, Austrian Open. The 1st round under way.

Thread Information