Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    I watched a fair bit of Sunday night, I thought the course looked like a bit of fun, I know it got a razz last year from a few parties.Some funky greens on the shorter holes, plenty of width, a few stone walls, an infinity green, all good in my book.I did hear that they had taken the chain saw to a fair few trees since last year for a more "linksy" look, clearly the Scots don't have the denizens of Rose Bay and other "interested" parties involved in the process.
    Shame they kneecapped Hanse before he’d even started. Must be some big Gary Player fans in Rose Bay....
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Love Rocky's Maxfli putter
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    His putting was looking pretty bad on the short ones, lots of blocky pushes and pulls at short range. If it wasn't for that I reckon he would have won by about 4 shots

Course was magnificent, really growing on me
    His putting was like that the 4 days. Magnificent ball striking but maybe just reading too much break. Poulter was striking good too

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Wish they had played it a couple of miles down the road at North Berwick - my favourite golf course in the world. Due to Covid restrictions, this is one of the few times that they probably could have held it at a course like that (due to the limited parking, access etc). Would love to see the pros strategize their way around there.

The Scottish open was originally going to be the week before the Open and I would have been there, maybe next year.

Thoughts on Aphrodite Hills? Looks good to me but I wouldn't be able to drive over the ravine.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

It is dramatic, with lots of elevation changes, and, as you rightly point out, a forced carry that makes the tee unplayable for a golfer like myself.

Whether that makes it good I don't know, and I'll leave it up to the archie buffs who care about such things to judge it.

But I think we'll be seeing it two weeks in a row (unless the resort has two courses), so there will be plenty of time to study and assess it.

Actually, the PGA Tour course this week in Bermuda looks fairly similar, and with pretty weak fields, checking out the course is a good reason to keep watching both events.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I was also impressed with the ladies course last week

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    I was also impressed with the ladies course last week
    The men played on some muni resort course in Italy, one of the worst I have seen on tour since the Kenya open

What does the expert panel think of the format of the Cyprus Showdown?

I'm a bit undecided. I was not in favour before watching, and I wasn't too moved by the 36 hole cut at 32 players. After all, players from further back in the field don't often explode out of the pack, even though it was interesting to see the players working out whether to go on attack or defend their score on 18.

But last night's final few groups were very exciting, and I couldn't switch off until the last player finished.

I still think it is a bit unfair that the strokeplay leaders (who were -18 after three rounds) get no advantage over Gavin Green or Richard Bland, who just scraped in two days in a row. I also suspect it would only work on a gimmicky course where the risk/reward factor is prominent.

I wouldn't want to watch it every week, but as a diversion from the normal, it was better than the modified stableford of the Barracuda, or the 6 hole matchplay that has been tried elsewhere.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    What does the expert panel think of the format of the Cyprus Showdown?I'm a bit undecided. I was not in favour before watching, and I wasn't too moved by the 36 hole cut at 32 players. After all, players from further back in the field don't often explode out of the pack, even though it was interesting to see the players working out whether to go on attack or defend their score on 18.But last night's final few groups were very exciting, and I couldn't switch off until the last player finished.I still think it is a bit unfair that the strokeplay leaders (who were -18 after three rounds) get no advantage over Gavin Green or Richard Bland, who just scraped in two days in a row. I also suspect it would only work on a gimmicky course where the risk/reward factor is prominent. I wouldn't want to watch it every week, but as a diversion from the normal, it was better than the modified stableford of the Barracuda, or the 6 hole matchplay that has been tried elsewhere.
    Not a fan at all

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Did the two round leaders get a tee time advantage? That is, tee off last, so they know what score to beat as they come into the last holes?

Senior Member Major Winner

What does the expert panel think of the format of the Cyprus Showdown?

I'm a bit undecided. I was not in favour before watching, and I wasn't too moved by the 36 hole cut at 32 players. After all, players from further back in the field don't often explode out of the pack, even though it was interesting to see the players working out whether to go on attack or defend their score on 18.

But last night's final few groups were very exciting, and I couldn't switch off until the last player finished.

I still think it is a bit unfair that the strokeplay leaders (who were -18 after three rounds) get no advantage over Gavin Green or Richard Bland, who just scraped in two days in a row. I also suspect it would only work on a gimmicky course where the risk/reward factor is prominent.

I wouldn't want to watch it every week, but as a diversion from the normal, it was better than the modified stableford of the Barracuda, or the 6 hole matchplay that has been tried elsewhere.
    This is part of the reason they introduced the net championship Fed ex cup final but I don’t get it.

An undefeated footy team doesn’t go into a grand final with a 20 point head start.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Did the two round leaders get a tee time advantage? That is, tee off last, so they know what score to beat as they come into the last holes?
    The opposite. They got to tee off first in round 3, so as to get the best of the conditions.

If it were me, I think I'd prefer to go last so I knew what the target was.

My other concern, and this is a bit of a hypothetical, concerns possible collusion.

If two or more players formed a team, as they do in poker, what's to stop the guy on the cut number from deliberately not making this best score at the last, so as to not knock out his mate (who he may have had a large wager on with the on=line bookies). I don't know if this happens in real golfing life, but it could.

If two or more players formed a team, as they do in poker, what's to stop the guy on the cut number from deliberately not making this best score at the last, so as to not knock out his mate (who he may have had a large wager on with the on=line bookies). I don't know if this happens in real golfing life, but it could.
    There was a situation in Round 3, where if a guy had made a birdie on the last, the cut line would have moved to -4. He just missed the putt, so the cut was -3, which was what the playing partner had scored.

Enjoyed the format, albeit as has been discussed it might need a tweak, will leave that for others.

Can play the lad Bob MacIntyre, if I was buying shares in future stars, him and Thomas Detry would be solid purchases.

Enjoyed the format, albeit as has been discussed it might need a tweak, will leave that for others.

Can play the lad Bob MacIntyre, if I was buying shares in future stars, him and Thomas Detry would be solid purchases.
    Another sweet swinger lefty.

Watching Reed screw up his chances of winning the Race to Dubai is nice.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Watching Reed screw up his chances of winning the Race to Dubai is nice.
    If it stays as is does Westy win the R2D?

Wowee. Let’s go Westy!!!

A relatively fairytale ending to a great Euro season, all things considered.

A sentimental favourite gets a thoroughly deserved win in the Race, a genuine, slightly under-rated star won the event, and the Evil Villain didn't get rewarded.

Obviously it wasn't a normal season, but the one thing that I didn't like was the Race scoring system which meant Morikawa could win the Race without actually playing a Euro event. If the Scottish and The Open had been played, that criticism may not have been valid, but as it stood the WGC's and Majors had too much weighting.

Still, in the end it doesn't matter, as a good guy won and the US invaders didn't.

I like the Euro Tour, and I like the Race to Dubai more than the Fedex Cup. Long may it continue.

A relatively fairytale ending to a great Euro season, all things considered.

A sentimental favourite gets a thoroughly deserved win in the Race, a genuine, slightly under-rated star won the event, and the Evil Villain didn't get rewarded.

Obviously it wasn't a normal season, but the one thing that I didn't like was the Race scoring system which meant Morikawa could win the Race without actually playing a Euro event. If the Scottish and The Open had been played, that criticism may not have been valid, but as it stood the WGC's and Majors had too much weighting.

Still, in the end it doesn't matter, as a good guy won and the US invaders didn't.

I like the Euro Tour, and I like the Race to Dubai more than the Fedex Cup. Long may it continue.
    My thoughts exactly Jim.

From a Euro Tour perspective having Fitzy win the event and Westy win the Race was huge.

Huge props should be given the the Tour for being able to get the year done considering they move from country to country and all across the world.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default 2020 European Tour

No 2021 thread and I can’t be ****ed starting one....
    Bonnie Doon Touring Pro Austin Batista had a good result Austrian Open on an invite!

Did better than Thomas Detry

Member Club Pro

Did better than Thomas Detry
    Double bounceback birdies after a 10 is pretty impressive!

Thread Information