Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    OK, so the other day I cracked a ChromeSoft. I gather this is not a problem unique to me, and others have also reported it.

Attachment 50883

So naturally, I cut it up to see if the centre was off. This is what I found:

Attachment 50882

Can someone explain to me what this shows? There is no 'centre' that I can discern, at all. As far as I know, this was a current version of the ChromeSoft, but perhaps I picked up an older version by mistake?

In terms of disclosure, I love the ChromeSoft balls and will continue to use them. They spin less (which is great for me), and on course anyway, go just as far as any of their competitors. I have also never noticed any dramas with their flight that cannot totally be explained by my own lack of talent.
    It's the 4 piece version of the chrome soft that had the distinct "center layer" that was off.

The ball you have there appears to be 3 piece. Green core, black mantle and white outer.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    It's the 4 piece version of the chrome soft that had the distinct "center layer" that was off.

The ball you have there appears to be 3 piece. Green core, black mantle and white outer.
    Agree - but that is what has confused me. As far as I know, it was the 'current' version and not the older 3-piece. Might need to do some checking out of which version it was.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Agree - but that is what has confused me. As far as I know, it was the 'current' version and not the older 3-piece. Might need to do some checking out of which version it was.
    I think you’ve already checked? That definitely isn’t a 4 piece ball..

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    I think you’ve already checked? That definitely isn’t a 4 piece ball..
    Well, technically it is in just two pieces now ...

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

That would make it a 6 piece ball

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

A 6 piece ball that I still think (based off what version I thought it was) should be an 8 piece ball ...

I have stupidly thrown it out, but I'll see if I took a photo that also shows the actual ball markings (to better identify it). It is highly probably that I simply picked up an older version and threw it in with new ones by mistake at some point. But I am normally pretty careful in avoiding doing that.

Senior Member Major Winner

Default Callaway Chrome Soft

I’ll start off first by stating I’ve never used Callaway balls before.
    Decided to give the Chrome Soft in Yellow a go for the trip away after using 2 sleeves of my preferred TP5’s over 3 games and needing to buy more balls before I went away.
    Must say I was suitable impressed with how durable the Chrome Soft is.
    Used one for the first round at Tocumwal. Felt good off the driver and with irons. Seemed to stop as equally well as the TP5 and Titleist AVX I’ve been using lately. Not exactly sure about the putter though.
    My distance control with the putter is normally very good from length but in 4 game using the Chrome Soft I’ve putted like a busted a55. Jury is out if it’s ball or I’m just having a bad patch with the putter?
    Back to the durability. I always warm up on the putting green with 3 balls putting from staggered range for dialling in feel. Pulled the used ball from the previous day and 2 new ones for a few putts. I like to use a new ball every round and went to select one of the new ones from the 3 and could not tell which was the used ball as it never had a single mark on it despite rattling a couple of trees the day before. Usually my TP5’s will have a noticeable scuffs or scares after a round.
    I’ll play the dozen out and monitor what happens with the putter.
    Side note, I had issues with the triple track not looking correct at address as the line spacing is wider than my Peltz marking I put on ball (narrower lines)
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Thread Information