Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AJ’s Swing

Default AJ’s Swing

Newbie here but thought I’d share me hitting a 3 wood. I have been more or less swinging like this for the last 20 or so years. I kinda went against what most of the coaches in the past taught me and only took away a few things like trying to keep my upper body working together on the way down, not having a flying elbow, and having a weaker grip.
    I’m pretty unflexible which is why my swing is what it is.
    Last edited by AJL; 18th August 2019 at 12:22 PM.

One from last week. I hit the ball straighter when I take the club back inside and I hit pulls when I try to take it back square and on plane *shrugs*
    Still a work in progress.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I wouldn't really concern yourself with "plane" dude. Think function, not anything else. I mean my first advice to you is to go and see a pro and get a lesson, my second thought for you is the takeaway is very shallow, would try and have more tilt at the waist, take the club away a bit steeper and then shallow it out on the downswing. I'm not a pro, but from having my own swing assessed and having similar traits earlier on in my game, then this is what I worked on.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

On plane is probably the wrong word to use, on line might be better lol. I have the same thoughts about my swing to be honest. Both of your suggests are things that I've looked at on youtube, will give it a go this week at the range. Don't think there's really a drill for more spine angle other to just bend over more, check infront of a mirror and get comfortable with it right?
    This is the drill that I'll be using for the take away.

If anyone has any other videos they've used and found effective lemme know

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Your swing is fine - don't waste time and money seeing a pro. The only suggestion I would make to try to get your hands a little higher at the top of the backswing, but really its only a minor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Your swing is fine - don't waste time and money seeing a pro. The only suggestion I would make to try to get your hands a little higher at the top of the backswing, but really its only a minor thing.
    Cheers Webster, I think a bit more tilt at the waist will fix that. Not Adam Scott high, but at least Jon Rahm high haha. (Jon Rahm is my spirit animal)

Started drilling in the swing changes 酪. Overheard some punk call me shrek at the range yesterday .

Didn’t have an assistant to hold the phone yesterday, hence the ankle angle. Would love any feedback from anyone or any other drill suggestions to get the club back inline/outside to the target on the backswing.
    Still hit a few shanks (fast hips and weight over left toe through impact &#128557

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I have fought the same battle with an inside takeaway.

2 thoughts that worked for me was keep the right elbow straighter for longer on the takeaway and attempt to keep the club face pointing at the ball for as long as possible through the backswing

Here is my swing from 14 years ago, about the time I first started working on it!

https://youtu.be/hCaqrmgS56A
    Last edited by Toolish; 22nd August 2019 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks for the advice Toolish, yeh think my swing ended up the way it is from keeping my right elbow super close at all times. I like your transition and tempo in that swing.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    Thanks for the advice Toolish, yeh think my swing ended up the way it is from keeping my right elbow super close at all times. I like your transition and tempo in that swing.
    Thanks Mate, over time my tempo has probably got worse, especially as I focused more on technical stuff. Here is where my swing is at now. Still have to think about not going back inside after doing it for years, but getting there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26xdgMkYMVM

Looks about 14 years better jk, yeh nice swing! I think a lot of players think about trying not to go inside, see it every time they do those almost half swing waggles haha.

Thread Information