Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Best fitting centres in Australia

As stated, what are the best fitting centres in the country in terms of overall knowledge and service. There doesn't seem to be a private fitting centre in SA like there are in the eastern states. Would love to hear people fitting experiences.

Banned

Don't waste ur money on the prices for fitting and club building charged by the likes of cool clubs and pure form etc etc. There is little value in their inflated upcharge over and above other types of outlets. Just get fit by ur local pro or golf retailer. That will be sufficient.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

AD23 ! Ozgolfer and club builder extrordanaire.

I had never had a fitting of any sort until I saw Adriaan and I was mind blown at how out of whack my iron set up was. Hit about 5 different iron heads and 12 different shafts.

Not only was the fitting a great experience but his building skills & craftsmanship were second to none.

Best golf decision I ever made.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    Don't waste ur money on the prices for fitting and club building charged by the likes of cool clubs and pure form etc etc. There is little value in their inflated upcharge over and above other types of outlets. Just get fit by ur local pro or golf retailer. That will be sufficient.
    As for Cool Clubs, I have never used them but Zane of the Gold Coast Cool Clubs was trained by one of the best fitters, Gary Calder who has an excellent reputation, for a long time. They do charge a premium, but good luck to them, they have found a market for that. Good clubfitters that work in a warehouse and sell no name heads, really struggle for business. Its a sad reality that whilst golfers are learning that fitted are better, they still drink the brand name cool aid, and brands wont sell their gear as components to fitters. So the price is higher.

Golf pro or golf retailer doesn't equate to skilled fitting or club making, far from it. Many of them have very little clue, are motivated by the sale and are still selling you off the shelf clubs, or stocks from the wholesaler, which have been assembled by unskilled workers on a production with the only regard to quality control is within loose parameters. Not suffiicent at all. You would be much better buying some cheap sticks off ebay, and heading over to House of Daves for a fitting/adjustments.

For sure some local pros and golf retailers are great fitters, but we should only be recommending those that we already know are great, and its unlikely any of them are working in retail stores.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    As for Cool Clubs, I have never used them but Zane of the Gold Coast Cool Clubs was trained by one of the best fitters, Gary Calder who has an excellent reputation, for a long time. They do charge a premium, but good luck to them, they have found a market for that. Good clubfitters that work in a warehouse and sell no name heads, really struggle for business. Its a sad reality that whilst golfers are learning that fitted are better, they still drink the brand name cool aid, and brands wont sell their gear as components to fitters. So the price is higher.

Golf pro or golf retailer doesn't equate to skilled fitting or club making, far from it. Many of them have very little clue, are motivated by the sale and are still selling you off the shelf clubs, or stocks from the wholesaler, which have been assembled by unskilled workers on a production with the only regard to quality control is within loose parameters. Not suffiicent at all. You would be much better buying some cheap sticks off ebay, and heading over to House of Daves for a fitting/adjustments.

For sure some local pros and golf retailers are great fitters, but we should only be recommending those that we already know are great, and its unlikely any of them are working in retail stores.
    90% of the fitting industry is Kool Aid and confirmation bias.

There are too many variables and not enough data for choppers to quantify its effect.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

What are the prices of the House of Daves service?

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

You can go to Pure Form or Cool Clubs and get fitted, doesn't mean you need to buy your clubs from them.

A friend of mine went to Pure Form, hit everything and had the irons and shafts identified. Quote to build them from PF was $2,500, I sourced everything and built them for $1,450 fro. The blueprint he received
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chappy1970 View Post
    You can go to Pure Form or Cool Clubs and get fitted, doesn't mean you need to buy your clubs from them.

A friend of mine went to Pure Form, hit everything and had the irons and shafts identified. Quote to build them from PF was $2,500, I sourced everything and built them for $1,450 fro. The blueprint he received
    What does the full fitting set you back?

What does the full fitting set you back?
    Not sure Rich, more than $100, less than $500
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chappy1970 View Post
    Not sure Rich, more than $100, less than $500
    Just checked for interests sake. Cool clubs Ultimate fitting is 6-7 hours and $800!!!!! F@&K ME!!! Talk about drinking the Kool Aid!!!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Just checked for interests sake. Cool clubs Ultimate fitting is 6-7 hours and $800!!!!! F@&K ME!!! Talk about drinking the Kool Aid!!!
    $125/135 an hour sounds reasonable to me, especially given the equipment and demo gear they carry. That is about what the average auto shop will charge you to service your car, Mercedes want $300 an hour to service an AMG! You would have to be keen to do an ultimate fitting though, and even then I would break it up into smaller sessions, even if it cost more.

Fools and their money .....

Been twice, irons then Driver/putter, best fun you can have with your pants on.

And as Chappy said, we also used my spec sheet for further builds, it’s good to have a quantifiable start point.

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    And as Chappy said, we also used my spec sheet for further builds, it’s good to have a quantifiable start point.
    I agree - I have done driver / irons / putter. Never bought the driver or irons, as I could build them myself. The cost for the driver fitting was $150 - I then sourced the shaft myself, in fact I still use it to this day.

Factoring in the losses I have made buying and selling a tonne of driver shafts that can't beat their recommendations - I'd call the fitting cheap!

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

It depends on what you want to get out of it.

I had a fitting session at the golf hub in Melbourne and my goal was to get some baseline numbers for my irons and to find the right shaft for them. The Mizuno optimiser was a great starting point but from experience it was recommending shafts that were too heavy (I have a quick transition). Having access to a bunch of shafts to demo and a trained eye to spot which worked was well worth it.

I could then source the bits myself and take the detailed spec to my local clubbuilder. The result is that I'm more comfortable with my irons than I've ever been. I just wish there was an equivalent here in Newcastle.

Cool Clubs in Sydney

Priced some tickets for Fleetwood Mac last night and the full Cool Clubs fitting is cheap!!!!!

Banned

Priced some tickets for Fleetwood Mac last night and the full Cool Clubs fitting is cheap!!!!!
    Both of them are overrated!

Not sure how they can keep doing shows without Lindsay on guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by NewyMitch View Post
    It depends on what you want to get out of it.

I had a fitting session at the golf hub in Melbourne and my goal was to get some baseline numbers for my irons and to find the right shaft for them. The Mizuno optimiser was a great starting point but from experience it was recommending shafts that were too heavy (I have a quick transition). Having access to a bunch of shafts to demo and a trained eye to spot which worked was well worth it.

I could then source the bits myself and take the detailed spec to my local clubbuilder. The result is that I'm more comfortable with my irons than I've ever been. I just wish there was an equivalent here in Newcastle.
    Sounds about right. Heavy helps dispersion.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Sounds about right. Heavy helps dispersion.
    The extra weight kept my transition under control but was sometimes too much work to get through the swing. I would really like to try the 125g version of my shaft (120g) but they don't come up very often on the used market.

Quote Originally Posted by NewyMitch View Post
    It depends on what you want to get out of it.I had a fitting session at the golf hub in Melbourne and my goal was to get some baseline numbers for my irons and to find the right shaft for them. The Mizuno optimiser was a great starting point but from experience it was recommending shafts that were too heavy (I have a quick transition). Having access to a bunch of shafts to demo and a trained eye to spot which worked was well worth it.I could then source the bits myself and take the detailed spec to my local clubbuilder. The result is that I'm more comfortable with my irons than I've ever been. I just wish there was an equivalent here in Newcastle.
    The Hub have just opened on the central coast haven’t they? That couldn’t be too far to go would it?

I hadn't heard that, the central coast isn't too far away. I'll look into it, thanks.

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

@NewyMitch It's in an industrial estate not far off the highway, just past Westfield Tuggerah. I've been to the hub a few times now for some lessons and a hit in the simulator. It is a good little setup and it is open pretty late. Which is great for afterwork. The last time I was in there, which was last week, the guy who owns it, Brad said he is still waiting on some parts. But won't be long until he has a fitting service up and running.

Thread Information