Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by NewyMitch View Post
    It depends on what you want to get out of it.I had a fitting session at the golf hub in Melbourne and my goal was to get some baseline numbers for my irons and to find the right shaft for them. The Mizuno optimiser was a great starting point but from experience it was recommending shafts that were too heavy (I have a quick transition). Having access to a bunch of shafts to demo and a trained eye to spot which worked was well worth it.I could then source the bits myself and take the detailed spec to my local clubbuilder. The result is that I'm more comfortable with my irons than I've ever been. I just wish there was an equivalent here in Newcastle.
    My thoughts exactly. Cool Clubs didn't have the driver heads and shafts I was used to using, so to me it was limited to what resources were available at the time. Ive been using Wil Peoples from NC. Works with TM tour van. I just give him my specs and he builds to my liking.
    CLEVELAND TL310 8.5* Grafalloy Blue X
    18* BALDO Competzione Graf Blue X
    I:Cleveland 588 Pro CB KBS X
    W: Ping Glide 3.0 KBS X
    P:Wilson 8802
    B:TP5
    B:Titleist Staff Stand
    S: Air Jordan 5

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Mayborn View Post
    @NewyMitch It's in an industrial estate not far off the highway, just past Westfield Tuggerah. I've been to the hub a few times now for some lessons and a hit in the simulator. It is a good little setup and it is open pretty late. Which is great for afterwork. The last time I was in there, which was last week, the guy who owns it, Brad said he is still waiting on some parts. But won't be long until he has a fitting service up and running.
    Yep went in recently for a lesson, was a good place. Will be heading back for sure.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Personally, don't think it's worth doing. I play off about 7-8 and don't think it's made any significant improvements over the past year and got properly fitted by a club fitter for an iron set. Irons aren't any tighter dispersion than they were previously. YMMV but I think you'd have to be a) using completely wrong clubs for your swing to begin with or b) have such great ball striking that minute changes will make a difference or c) allow placebo effect of gear changes to alter your state of mind to lead to an improvement.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

You also forgot stronger lofts of new irons vs old

If I see one more "Jimmy came in with his old irons and was fitted into the new xxxx brand iron and gained 25 metres!"

No, Jimmy gained 2 clubs worth of loft over his previous set, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    You also forgot stronger lofts of new irons vs old

If I see one more "Jimmy came in with his old irons and was fitted into the new xxxx brand iron and gained 25 metres!"

No, Jimmy gained 2 clubs worth of loft over his previous set, that's all.
    Yeap, if you're transitioning from a very old set or going from a different category of irons (eg players to distance game improvement). Not applicable in my case as I lost half a club in distance but that's because I deliberately weakened the lofts to get better gaping from the wedges to irons.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_of_oz View Post
    Personally, don't think it's worth doing. I play off about 7-8 and don't think it's made any significant improvements over the past year and got properly fitted by a club fitter for an iron set. Irons aren't any tighter dispersion than they were previously. YMMV but I think you'd have to be a) using completely wrong clubs for your swing to begin with or b) have such great ball striking that minute changes will make a difference or c) allow placebo effect of gear changes to alter your state of mind to lead to an improvement.
    Getting properly fit for clubs is definitely a good idea, I've had a couple of fittings and for me, it helps my game. I mean it can be personal, but at the end of the day if you get fit properly, then they'd also give you a lesson while you're there. That, and continuing to practice what they preach is where you see the improvements. New clubs don't make you better, but being fit properly and working on your swing will give you the best chance to reduce your handicap.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
    Getting properly fit for clubs is definitely a good idea, I've had a couple of fittings and for me, it helps my game. I mean it can be personal, but at the end of the day if you get fit properly, then they'd also give you a lesson while you're there. That, and continuing to practice what they preach is where you see the improvements. New clubs don't make you better, but being fit properly and working on your swing will give you the best chance to reduce your handicap.
    I'd love to see someone give a swing lesson in a hour that actually fixes a swing and not just a band aid fix. Any quantifiable evidence for you that the fitting of the new clubs ONLY lead to a lowering of handicap? Not talking about swing changes, mechanics, practice, short game.

I'd love to see someone give a swing lesson in a hour that actually fixes a swing and not just a band aid fix. Any quantifiable evidence for you that the fitting of the new clubs ONLY lead to a lowering of handicap? Not talking about swing changes, mechanics, practice, short game.
    Obviously it's not a once off lesson that is meant to be the fix, but a good fitter/coach would be able to see what your tendencies are and offer advice based on that. Again, it's up to the player to work on those feelings and use his/her new equipment to do so. As for quantifiable evidence, no not at all. I don't believe that new clubs will solely make you better, but a combination of being fit and practicing will. Taking cost out of it, would you prefer to be fit or just buy new clubs off the shelf? I'm guessing you'd probably take a fitting all things being equal.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

Where can you get properly fitted at no cost? How is this a point if no such thing exists?

If you're a member at a decent club the pro will often fit you for no cost.

It's merely a hypothetical, would you get fit if it was free of charge? Or would you buy off the shelf?
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

Not only would I buy off the shelf, but everything in my bag were second hand clubs all the way until I got fitted last year. The point is that fitting does have a cost to it, often several hundred dollars worth and I don't think it's worth the cost. At all. If it's free, why the heck wouldn't I take it? It's better than nothing. But is it worth paying several hundred dollars instead of spending the money on lessons or booze. Not for me.

I think if you're smart then you can get a good fitting for nothing. Demo days, going in to certain stores that have the technology available, good club pros. Even keeping an eye out online for vouchers and that sort of thing. I paid $75 for a fitting voucher last year and it was great value. I think if you go in to a fitting thinking that the new clubs are the cure, then you're in it for the wrong thing. If you go in to it with an open mind and are willing to learn your tendencies and habits, then a fitting is well worth the money as long as you put in the work.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
    I think if you're smart then you can get a good fitting for nothing. Demo days, going in to certain stores that have the technology available, good club pros. Even keeping an eye out online for vouchers and that sort of thing. I paid $75 for a fitting voucher last year and it was great value. I think if you go in to a fitting thinking that the new clubs are the cure, then you're in it for the wrong thing. If you go in to it with an open mind and are willing to learn your tendencies and habits, then a fitting is well worth the money as long as you put in the work.
    How can a fitter possibly understand any of this in the short time they have you? They don't even know you or your game. The best way to know what to play is learn for yourself. If you know what certain gear will do and you know what you like the feel of, all the rest of it is trial and error anyway. I have never hit anything into a net or on a LM that did the same thing on the golf course. I can see myself getting a fitting one day if it didn't cost anything but I would never expect it to make one shred of difference to my scores compared to what I already play. IMHO, golf is too data driven as people get further and further away from the feel of the game. People are being taught to ignore feel and looks (in various ways) and pushed towards launch and spin numbers on everything. Distance, distance, distance is the cry!!! I like my modern gear as much as anyone but fitting is not even close to the be all and end all for playing golf well or god forbid, enjoying golf irrespective of your score.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Has Pureform improved in the last 5 years?
    Both times, it felt like walking into a Mercedes dealership.

I had an iron and a driver fitting in the past year at Power Golf, Castle Hill. Very thorough with a range of brands, even asked whether my budget would allow for the premium priced models. (Also suggested what brands are not suited to me, even though these were major sellers.) Both times walked out with models and specs, that I would not have considered otherwise.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    How can a fitter possibly understand any of this in the short time they have you? They don't even know you or your game. The best way to know what to play is learn for yourself. If you know what certain gear will do and you know what you like the feel of, all the rest of it is trial and error anyway. I have never hit anything into a net or on a LM that did the same thing on the golf course. I can see myself getting a fitting one day if it didn't cost anything but I would never expect it to make one shred of difference to my scores compared to what I already play. IMHO, golf is too data driven as people get further and further away from the feel of the game. People are being taught to ignore feel and looks (in various ways) and pushed towards launch and spin numbers on everything. Distance, distance, distance is the cry!!! I like my modern gear as much as anyone but fitting is not even close to the be all and end all for playing golf well or god forbid, enjoying golf irrespective of your score.
    How can a fitter understand your tendencies? Well I'd imagine any decent fitter would quiz you on your game and how you play it. Where you miss, your bad shots, good shots, what you want to achieve. I mean that kind of information can be shared in 10 minutes while you warm up. I don't recall saying that I think it's the be all and end all, but it's certainly a helpful tool. Of course it all comes back to what you prefer to play, how certain clubs feel, sound and look. I prefer to play holes over practicing, and I definitely don't spend any time on launch monitors crunching every bit of data I can. Golf for me is fun, it's also fun to people that want to know numbers, swing patterns, where they strike the ball on the face etc etc.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Some interesting points in the thread in both a positive and negative way, here is my two cents on doing basic fitting on choppers and being fit by cool clubs and club pros in the past.

Off the rack clubs fit a large majority
    of golfers based on data collected over many years by the major OEM’s it would be pointless for them to mass produce products for the minority. Some lesser skilled golfers could not hit the side of a barn with a tractor so it is always what inspires confidence that you push towards and some good looking data makes the sale easier.

Club fitting is very handy when you have a consistent swing pattern as you can fine tune to your swing and find best in class around the specs you think you should use. You can also confirm how far away you are from optimum launch, spin and decent angles for your swing speed. This is where club fitting gains are found.

Results are always a fine tuning as opposed to a revolution. There is always the marketing example of out of this world performance, and on course you never swing as freely as there is a consequence to your score.

The real benefit for mine comes in the back end of rounds when you can tell yourself it’s not the gear just the execution. Having a base line on the data can guide you to where you need to focus on improvement and any swing changes will have an effect on how you clubs work towards maximising launch, spin and decent angles moving forward.

You don’t need a fitting if you feel it won’t make a difference as it’s actually not for you. If you want to make sure you have covered off all your bases in an improvement cycle fitting is a great thing to do
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Couldn't agree more Lucasto, very well put.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

I don't really think Cool Clubs / Pureform kind of places are really interested in the lowballing / tyre kicking Ozgolf crowd.

I have been at both where a well moneyed guy walks in and asks to be fit for the best, spare no expense. This kind of guy gives no shit about shafts, kick points etc. He wants an experience, he wants to feel like he is getting the best, wants to see instant results and he is willing to pay top dollar for it. Like he did with his Breitling, his Harley, and his Porsche.

Anyway, in response to the original question, the best is Cool Clubs - they have all the fruit of the others, but have an actual range you can see ball flight.

Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

I went to mizuno head office in Mulgrave - fitting is free across the board and they charge no extra for any shaft upgrade this is obviously if you’ve decided to go Mizuno

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Simple fact of Golf, if the clubs suit the player, its easier for them to play, than with clubs that dont.

I'd love to see someone give a swing lesson in a hour that actually fixes a swing and not just a band aid fix.
    I would love to see someone getting their swing fixed in an hour too.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I don't really think Cool Clubs / Pureform kind of places are really interested in the lowballing / tyre kicking Ozgolf crowd.
    On the money. How about the PXG fitting experience at $17500 USD?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasto23 View Post
    Off the rack clubs fit a large majority
    This is correct, if the off the rack clubs had decent quality control, but the reality is they don't. You could bet your bank that an off the rack set doesn't have consistent flex, swing weight or loft steps.
    So a player should get both Fitted and have a clubmaker build them to get enough benefit.

Getting fitted and buying off the shelf is for a mug. And so is 'factory ordered', anyone who thinks their brand name sticks were custom assembled just for themselves is deluded.

How can a fitter possibly understand any of this in the short time they have you? They don't even know you or your game.
    A good fitter doesnt need to spend as much time with you as you think. They know their trade.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Has Pureform improved in the last 5 years?
    Both times, it felt like walking into a Mercedes dealership.

I had an iron and a driver fitting in the past year at Power Golf, Castle Hill. Very thorough with a range of brands, even asked whether my budget would allow for the premium priced models. (Also suggested what brands are not suited to me, even though these were major sellers.) Both times walked out with models and specs, that I would not have considered otherwise.
    But you are the quintessential flusha tho!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    But you are the quintessential flusha tho!!!!!
    Even a Ferrari has the bonnet up occasionally.

Both times, we started from what worked well in the past. I just hit a few repeatable swings with each, he would analyse the figures, grab something else of the rack (or fitting cart) and I'd make a few more of the same swing. I had no idea what brand, shaft or flex that I was hitting, nor what was on the launch monitor screen.

As per Lucastro's comment above, the final selection was based on what would be better when feeling tired at a 7am start, or late in a long round.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Even a Ferrari has the bonnet up occasionally.

Both times, we started from what worked well in the past. I just hit a few repeatable swings with each, he would analyse the figures, grab something else of the rack (or fitting cart) and I'd make a few more of the same swing. I had no idea what brand, shaft or flex that I was hitting, nor what was on the launch monitor screen.

As per Lucastro's comment above, the final selection was based on what would be better when feeling tired at a 7am start, or late in a long round.
    Were there any cart path balls taken into account during the fitting? Might have skewed the data.

Blog Entries

Were there any cart path balls taken into account during the fitting? Might have skewed the data.
    I've asked trackman to put a virtual tortoise in the centre of the fairway 170m from the tee to bounce off.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I need to follow this up after a full bag fitting at the Golf Hub Central Coast. I had a 2.5 hour session with Brad and it was well worth the drive down from Newcastle.

Early on Brad could tell that I had got back into my old (unknown to him) flippy swing. My path from the inside and down was not manageable. We stopped and he showed me a drill and made sure I understood before we moved on. He also gave me some tips to fix my horrendous chipping which I will definitely use. We went through through the bag and did a gap test until the time was up.

I learnt today that the neck type of a putter can really affect how I align to the hole. To my surprise the straightest alignment was with a double bend shaft. My current putter I set up left and with a flow neck I aim right. That blew my mind a bit.

Thread Information