Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Balls - urethane vs. surlyn/ionomer

I know all the pros and cons of the two types of cover materials, but I'm interested in what other people play out of the two, and why. I know there's the "your current ball" thread, but I want to discuss types of balls rather than specific models.

Which cover do you play, and why?

At what point (in terms of your golf game) do you think the more expensive urethane balls start to make a difference?

I currently play urethane balls as I prefer the short-game control, however I'm not a terribly good golfer (15 handicap) and can see some advantages to ionomer (potentially straighter off the tea, more durable & quite a bit cheaper). Sometimes I think a 3-piece ionomer ball might be a better choice for me.

Banned

If you prefer urethane, stick with it. Most golf balls are about as straight as one another these days no matter the cover and with the deals you can find out there on urethane balls at various places, why would you play anything else if that's what you like. I won't pay for urethane golf balls at the top prices these days but if you buy in bulk on a run out model, premium urethane balls can be had at very reasonable prices.

Member Trainee Pro

If you play on a course where the greens are mud at this time of the year and too much spin might actually be a problem, then I cant see the harm in using ionomer covers, that or you really like iridescent coloured balls.

Otherwise i agree with the post above, I can buy Bridgestone RX/RXS range for under $40 a dozen ATM, & when they run them out they maybe as little as $29, and with the spin they generate, you can hold firm greens in ways ionomer balls just cant.

Senior Member Major Winner

JMHO it's mostly about the feel you prefer on and around the greens that gives you the confidence to chip the ball the way you want.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Which cover do you play, and why?
    Whichever one I have at the time. For the last 12 months I am using TM Project A or Srixon QStar Tour.
    I dont know what cover they have.

At what point (in terms of your golf game) do you think the more expensive urethane balls start to make a difference?
    I havent thought about it, but then again I havent purchased golf balls retail this century. Except when I was in the states last year and bought TM Project A or Srixon QStar Tour cos they were brand new.

Sometimes I think a 3-piece ionomer ball might be a better choice for me.
    for a 15 hcap i would be thinking that its the $$ is a more important consideration.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information